Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 12-17-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Less than 9 hours to go
Old 12-17-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 12-17-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
So does the movie really open with
Spoiler:
Luke's hand and lightsaber floating in space?
I need to know!!!
Old 12-17-15, 11:28 AM

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I guess some of us are saying cuz we aren't attached to the franchise? So we're taking it as it is?

For me, 2 great films, 1 film that has some awesome highs and a lot of lows, then... Crap.

SW could fail and I'd be fine w/ that. It'd suck for everyone involved w/ that but if you make crap films... I'd hope it'd fail for the creative heads making it. If it's great, I hope you get all the success you deserve.

Let's be honest here... SW is mostly crap material. The highs in quality for the property are very little to the mediocre crap out there that is SW related. I'm talking about the films, TV, books, and video games. Narrative associated material essentially. It's a franchise that thrives on its fans to buy something SW cuz they love that universe. That's fine and dandy but... it's also bad. Cuz people make crap stuff and then some fan will buy it cuz it's SW. How much crap have fans bought only to essentially get a crap product? A lot.
Eh, I think it's more like 50/50 in terms of good/bad material in the SW universe. I've only read Shadows of the Empire, which was quite good. Watching the prequel trilogy again, I don't find them being so horrible, but they could have been edited out a lot of fat out and they would've been better films.
Old 12-17-15, 11:42 AM
Banned

That could be said for all of SW. It's more fat for your meat than you want. Sure... the fat adds flavor... but you're just getting all fat fuck from it if that's what you want. Plus... too much is bad. You greasy motherfucker.
Old 12-17-15, 11:44 AM

All of Star Wars has "fat"? I have to disagree with you there.
Old 12-17-15, 11:46 AM

Been logged out of DVDTalk since early January, lurked here and there, but I'm one day away from seeing this movie and I just had to log in to say I'm so excited!

The first day I stepped into Target and saw all the Star Wars stuff, I was grinning from ear to ear. It's been so fun to have Star Wars as part of the national zeitgeist again, and this time with a real positive feel to it. Since I was a little kid, I've been that "Star Wars Guy" that people ask my opinion about stuff. Books are out, what do you think? Prequels are coming, what do you think? Disney bought SW, what do you think? JJ Abrams, what do you think? Nice to be relevant.

We haven't really picked up any Star Wars gear, though, for three reasons.
1. A lot of it is pretty spendy.
2. Our oldest loves Star Wars but she's four and only seen ANH (we'll do Machete Order leading up to her seeing Episode VII in the theater when she's almost 6, though even that might be pushing it) and so I really don't want to confuse her with new characters.
3. The new figures have old school Kenner articulation, lame. Then you get those 6" "Black" figures that are twice the price with the sort of sculpt and articulation we've been getting with the 3.75" figures? No thanks!

I have one tiny little theory about TFA I want to toss out there, one that I haven't seen anywhere yet (I haven't read reviews) and I want to get it out there before the movie comes out. There is a shot in the trailer that I think leads to a particular event:

Spoiler:
The shot of Kylo Ren interrogating Poe Dameron that ends with the red streak / fire wiping out a forest - what if it's the forest moon of Endor? What if Kylo Ren goes and gets Vader's armor and does not want the planet where he was disgraced to exist anymore, so he orders the Starkiller base to blow it up? The villain takes out all of those Ewoks people seem to hate so much, all without mercy.

Of course, if that doesn't happen, now a bunch of people probably will wish that it had...

Glad to be back, hope to be back more as life permits. We had a major overhaul of our storage / media this year and I'll get some photos of that in the Alan Smithee thread.
Old 12-17-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am in line at the theater. Ten people and two lightsabers are in front of me.

7 hrs 10 mins to go.
Old 12-17-15, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post

7 hrs 10 mins to go.
I hope you're joking.
Old 12-17-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be in line tonight for about 10 minutes before walking in the theater to watch the movie. No way I miss a day of work and stand in line with a bunch of people for hours to watch any movie.
Old 12-17-15, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
All of Star Wars has "fat"? I have to disagree with you there.
Star Wars has always had fat. The, in the narrative, franchise is so much filler. The games, the books, some of the movies, etc. Sure it might be cool and shit but how much is actually worth a damn?
Old 12-17-15, 12:39 PM

A New Hope's running time pre-Special Edition is only 121 minutes. Only RotJ had some fat, but some of it was necessary to get Han back. Don't get me wrong, I'm no super-fanatic, I personally think the prequel trilogy should never have been made.
Old 12-17-15, 12:45 PM

7 hrs 10 mins to go.
Why?
Old 12-17-15, 12:47 PM
Banned

And Han was pretty pointless in RotJ too. It has some horrible acting by Ford in it after he gets out of the carbonite. Jesus. That script really had that character be nowhere near as compelling as the two before it.
Old 12-17-15, 12:50 PM

How many times can you guys say the same thing?
Old 12-17-15, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
How many times can you guys say the same thing?
A lot of times?
Old 12-17-15, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
And Han was pretty pointless in RotJ too. It has some horrible acting by Ford in it after he gets out of the carbonite. Jesus. That script really had that character be nowhere near as compelling as the two before it.
Without his character, RotJ would have been devoid of a lot of laughs. Han's one-liners and his irritation with 3PO made most of the stuff on Endor entertaining. The lack of a Han-type character really hurt the prequel trilogy. But seriously, there is nothing "compelling" about Han, especially compared to Ford's other iconic role, Indiana Jones.
Old 12-17-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope you're joking.
Star Wars is serious business.
Old 12-17-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Why?
Why not? I don't mind lines after years and years of San Diego Comic-Con Hall H lines for 12+ hrs.
Old 12-17-15, 12:57 PM

Why not? I don't mind lines after years and years of San Diego Comic-Con Hall H lines for 12+ hrs.
No pre-sales available where you live?
Old 12-17-15, 01:06 PM
Banned

I don't think i could handle that kind of crowd. Too many dumb fucks.
Old 12-17-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not that I would ever do it for any movie, but I think someone earlier accurately described the waiting in line thing as more of a communal fun thing hanging out with like minded fans. I don't see the big deal if you have nothing else going on, to each their own.
Old 12-17-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming Tom already has his tickets, but doesn't have reserved seating, so he's hanging out early to make sure he gets a decent seat.

I sought out reserved seating simply because I didn't want to deal with that. I'll stroll in about 15 minutes before the movie starts.
Old 12-17-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought my ticket 2 months ago. Now if you're referring to reserved seating, of course they're out here. AMCs Corp is in the area. We had one of the first Dolby Cinema theaters in the country. We may not be Los Angeles but my movie-going experience has been better out here than when I lived in San Diego. And the tix prices are so much better.

But, to answer the question, all the good seats were already reserved for the theater I am going to.

Edited: thanks Obi-Wan Jabroni. You are correct!
Old 12-17-15, 01:43 PM

Ah, okay, I'm going to a non-reserve theater, so your scenario makes sense. We're planning to get to the theater around an hour before showtime, which is still probably overkill on my part, but you never know. The theater seating isn't very big except for a couple of screens, but I do love the Sony 4K projectors they use there, and its independently owned to boot.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.