Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

I'm sorry but a SW teaser for the ST doesn't need Han, Chewie, or whomever else of the old cast to sell SW. It's fucking SW. It sells itself.
Old 03-08-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I think it's huge for a certain portion of the audience, but like I said there's an entire new audience of kids who love the prequels. I think you're confusing the massive internet hate for the actual mentality of the general audience. The older fans of the series were disappointed by the prequels, but Disney doesn't need to bend over backwards to win back their trust. With or without the returning cast, people will line up for a new Star Wars flick. The fact that the teaser didn't focus on the old members gave me hope that the producers might not be using them as a crutch.
I never said they were the only selling point but they are a pretty big selling point to a lot of fans. I don't think it's right to sell the original cast short. I don't think it's just that they're trying to appease fans who didn't like the Prequel Trilogy, but at the same time Disney isn't stupid and they know that for a lot of Original Trilogy fans bring back the main three characters is a huge deal. Yes Star Wars is a huge brand and I've never debated that it can't sell itself but adding those characters back to the mix for a lot of us makes it even bigger. The two people who are seemingly willing to write off their importance are two posters who are admittedly not big fans in general.
Old 03-08-15, 07:32 PM
Banned

Not sure if I'm one of the two people or not but... it's a fucking teaser. I'm sure we'll get a bigger bang for the following trailers. You want to tease what you have. We still have a very long time for its release. The teaser this early teases the brand, its world and the new while reflecting the old imagery as well. Could it have the cast? Sure. But it's not needed.

I care about movies. I don't care about franchises. I look at it objectively. Even if I'm a fan of the properties.
Old 03-08-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't talking just about in the teaser but their role in the film as a whole.
Old 03-08-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Is that right about Billy D? It wasn't cuz he was badass?
I'm sure that and his smooth persona are why they chose Billy D. over the other black actors of the period, but the decision to make Lando black was definitely a response to criticism about the first film being so white.
Old 03-09-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I never said they were the only selling point but they are a pretty big selling point to a lot of fans. I don't think it's right to sell the original cast short. I don't think it's just that they're trying to appease fans who didn't like the Prequel Trilogy, but at the same time Disney isn't stupid and they know that for a lot of Original Trilogy fans bring back the main three characters is a huge deal. Yes Star Wars is a huge brand and I've never debated that it can't sell itself but adding those characters back to the mix for a lot of us makes it even bigger. The two people who are seemingly willing to write off their importance are two posters who are admittedly not big fans in general.
Hey, I love the OT like everybody else here. I'm just satisfied with the three good films that revolved around those characters. I am disappointed with the general lack of good science fiction films, and I'd hate to see the biggest sci-fi franchise repeat itself over and over again. The PT was riddled with little winks and nods to the audience, and inserted old characters that really didn't add to the story. I don't want to see that happen in the new movies. If I want to be reminded about how great a character Han Solo is, I'll watch the original movies. Now I'm ready for new characters.
Old 03-09-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it wrong that I know that your avatar is a kaiju called Guilala?
Old 03-09-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Any word on when the new toys will hit shelves? I think it would be cool if they waited until Black Friday to unveil them, and by that I mean not before 12:01AM on that Friday, not Thanksgiving night.
Old 03-09-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Wait to unveil"? As soon as a single pic of them is shown anywhere it'll be all over the internet.
Old 03-09-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder when the figures will actually be revealed. Toy Fair just happened a couple weeks ago and nothing from the new film was shown that I remember. I'm assuming things are being kept under wraps a while longer (maybe until Disney releases the first full trailer) and should be fully announced around San Diego Comic Con. I would think they'd be out by November for Christmas shopping. Maybe even October.
Old 03-09-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

Nerd.
Old 03-09-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing wrong with that. The X From Outer Space is one of my favorite kaiju films.
Old 03-09-15, 07:28 PM
Banned

I've been staring at that avatar for a while wondering wtf that is from. Everytime I see it... I can never guess what it is from. Now I know.
Old 03-09-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I've been staring at that avatar for a while wondering wtf that is from. Everytime I see it... I can never guess what it is from. Now I know.
Click on the link in my signature to see it in action.
Old 03-10-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read all about it when I was an obsessed tokusatsu fan in my youth, but never found any grungy old VHS tapes of it. Maybe I should check out Criterion's Eclipse set with it on it....

Do they include the dub?
Old 03-10-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Didn't J.J Abrams fire Michael Arndt specifically because he wasn't writing big enough roles for Leia, Han and Luke and was concentrating too much on the new characters?

All this talk about glorified cameos for the OT characters just doesn't hold weight. J.J knows what the fans want, the studio knows what the fans want. There's no way we get Charlie Sheen Wall Street 2 cameos for the OT cast. This isn't George Lucas running the show. People seem to forget that.

My guess is that Han has the biggest role in VII and probably dies. With Luke probably having a good sized role in all 3. Not sure what they'll do with Leia. I have a feeling it'll depend on how together Carrie Fischer can keep it.
Old 03-10-15, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Not sure what they'll do with Leia. I have a feeling it'll depend on how together Carrie Fischer can keep it.
It'd be pretty cool if they had her smoking one of those electronic vapor cigarettes & maybe having a breakdown on film.
Old 03-10-15, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wonder when the figures will actually be revealed. Toy Fair just happened a couple weeks ago and nothing from the new film was shown that I remember. I'm assuming things are being kept under wraps a while longer (maybe until Disney releases the first full trailer) and should be fully announced around San Diego Comic Con. I would think they'd be out by November for Christmas shopping. Maybe even October.
They might unveil a few figures/new characters over the summer convention season, but I would wager that most won't be revealed until closer to release date.
Old 03-10-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read all about it when I was an obsessed tokusatsu fan in my youth, but never found any grungy old VHS tapes of it. Maybe I should check out Criterion's Eclipse set with it on it....

Do they include the dub?
No dub, just the original Japanese audio, but it's a good set, I liked all of the films in it.
Old 03-10-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Any word on when the new toys will hit shelves? I think it would be cool if they waited until Black Friday to unveil them, and by that I mean not before 12:01AM on that Friday, not Thanksgiving night.
September 4, apparently.

Pretty good chance we'll see some new stuff out of the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim next month.

If not then, then definitely SDCC in July.
Old 03-10-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
This isn't George Lucas running the show. People seem to forget that.
If it was Lucas running the show the OT characters would have been recasts and he would have gone back and inserted those new actors into the OT and released it as the definitive version.
Old 03-10-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
If it was Lucas running the show the OT characters would have been recasts and he would have gone back and inserted those new actors into the OT and released it as the definitive version.
Yeah Lucas definitely went crazy recasting those parts played by old, dead men.

Its always nice when people literally make things up about Lucas. He brought back Ian McDiarmid, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, Frank Oz, James Earl Jones and Peter Mayhew. Every character he recast in the PT had an obvious need for recasting. Are you suggesting that they should brought back an 86-year-old Phil Brown to play the young Uncle Owen? He's the only one who was even living when his part was recast. And then you have to imagine him cradling an adult Mark Hamill as well. I'm sure Hamill and Carrie Fisher were incensed over being passed as the newborn twins.

The only two people who would even have a half-credible claim to being recast would be David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch and I think hauling Prowse in to wear the suit that obscures him entirely would have been the ultimate in meaningless fan service.

So basically you're mad that a small British senior citizen didn't play Jango Fett and the Clonetroopers.
Old 03-10-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

^Although I think it was probably made in jest, I think the comment was more referencing things like inserting Hayden Christiansen and Temuera Morrison into the OT
Old 03-10-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit, talk about taking an off-handed remark way seriously. I guess someone has to be Lucas' defender on these boards though.
Old 03-10-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Yeah Lucas definitely went crazy recasting those parts played by old, dead men. Its always nice when people literally make things up about Lucas. He brought back Ian McDiarmid, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, Frank Oz, James Earl Jones and Peter Mayhew. Every character he recast in the PT had an obvious need for recasting. Are you suggesting that they should brought back an 86-year-old Phil Brown to play the young Uncle Owen? He's the only one who was even living when his part was recast. And then you have to imagine him cradling an adult Mark Hamill as well. I'm sure Hamill and Carrie Fisher were incensed over being passed as the newborn twins. The only two people who would even have a half-credible claim to being recast would be David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch and I think hauling Prowse in to wear the suit that obscures him entirely would have been the ultimate in meaningless fan service. So basically you're mad that a small British senior citizen didn't play Jango Fett and the Clonetroopers.
I have no problem with the actors in the PT. As it was set decades before, using the same actors wouldn't have made any sense. Now, putting in my DVD of ROTJ and finding Hayden Christanson's face? That I'm less OK with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.