Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

I wonder if Jabba The Hut regrets not agreeing to be in the added back in scene in A New Hope? They used a crappy CGI version of him and the did the same in The Phantom Menace. I bet his agent was pissed.
Old 03-10-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Yeah Lucas definitely went crazy recasting those parts played by old, dead men.

Its always nice when people literally make things up about Lucas. He brought back Ian McDiarmid, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, Frank Oz, James Earl Jones and Peter Mayhew. Every character he recast in the PT had an obvious need for recasting. Are you suggesting that they should brought back an 86-year-old Phil Brown to play the young Uncle Owen? He's the only one who was even living when his part was recast. And then you have to imagine him cradling an adult Mark Hamill as well. I'm sure Hamill and Carrie Fisher were incensed over being passed as the newborn twins.

The only two people who would even have a half-credible claim to being recast would be David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch and I think hauling Prowse in to wear the suit that obscures him entirely would have been the ultimate in meaningless fan service.

So basically you're mad that a small British senior citizen didn't play Jango Fett and the Clonetroopers.

I thought taffer left the forum.
Old 03-10-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Yeah Lucas definitely went crazy recasting those parts played by old, dead men.

Its always nice when people literally make things up about Lucas. He brought back Ian McDiarmid, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, Frank Oz, James Earl Jones and Peter Mayhew. Every character he recast in the PT had an obvious need for recasting. Are you suggesting that they should brought back an 86-year-old Phil Brown to play the young Uncle Owen? He's the only one who was even living when his part was recast. And then you have to imagine him cradling an adult Mark Hamill as well. I'm sure Hamill and Carrie Fisher were incensed over being passed as the newborn twins.

The only two people who would even have a half-credible claim to being recast would be David Prowse and Jeremy Bulloch and I think hauling Prowse in to wear the suit that obscures him entirely would have been the ultimate in meaningless fan service.
I remember reading an interview in the old Sci-Fi Universe magazine with David Prowse and other cast members of the OT from not long after it was announced that George Lucas was making the prequels. Prowse was insistent that he should play Anakin Skywalker in the prequels. Not Darth Vader, but Anakin Skywalker.
Old 03-10-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I thought taffer left the forum.
For that post to be staffer-esque I would have had to go on at length about how there was a story on the back of a box of Star Wars C-3PO's cereal that established that, according to an ancient Jedi Holocron, people's faces change structure when they enter middle aged which explains away the recasting.

My post didn't get into silly "a wizard did it" nonsense. It just pointed out that the idea that Lucas went on an 8-year recasting tear with the PT is literally a fantasy. It's demonstrably false.

The weirdest part of the whole thing is that there's plenty of things that Lucas has legitimately done to bitch about. I remember seeing someone in this very thread claim that Lucas had taken credit for all he production design and conceptual artwork done on the movies. Same thing: demonstrably false.
Old 03-10-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
My guess is that Han has the biggest role in VII and probably dies. With Luke probably having a good sized role in all 3. Not sure what they'll do with Leia. I have a feeling it'll depend on how together Carrie Fischer can keep it.
Speaking of Carrie Fisher...
Old 03-10-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

For that post to be staffer-esque I would have had to go on at length about how there was a story on the back of a box of Star Wars C-3PO's cereal that established that, according to an ancient Jedi Holocron, people's faces change structure when they enter middle aged which explains away the recasting.

My post didn't get into silly "a wizard did it" nonsense. It just pointed out that the idea that Lucas went on an 8-year recasting tear with the PT is literally a fantasy. It's demonstrably false.

The weirdest part of the whole thing is that there's plenty of things that Lucas has legitimately done to bitch about. I remember seeing someone in this very thread claim that Lucas had taken credit for all he production design and conceptual artwork done on the movies. Same thing: demonstrably false.
Whatever, you're the new Taffer, nerd.
Old 03-10-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

No, but you nailed the part where you take the offhanded crack way too seriously and respond with "angry wikipedia" because said crack was directed towards something you like.
Old 03-11-15, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so does Taffer have a special title under his name now that he's exiled himself from DVDtalk?
Old 03-11-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
^Although I think it was probably made in jest, I think the comment was more referencing things like inserting Hayden Christiansen and Temuera Morrison into the OT
Was it really that hard to grasp?

I guess those things never happened though.
Old 03-11-15, 09:06 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I remember reading an interview in the old Sci-Fi Universe magazine with David Prowse and other cast members of the OT from not long after it was announced that George Lucas was making the prequels. Prowse was insistent that he should play Anakin Skywalker in the prequels. Not Darth Vader, but Anakin Skywalker.
Absolutely ridiculous. That being said, if it would have been Prowse in the role, it still probably would have been a little better than the piles of shit we got.
Old 03-11-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
He probably thought Lucas was doing a much older version of the character. Plus, he was probably still ticked that Lucas didn't use him in the reveal in ROTJ (or use him much in the costume, either, if reports are true).
Old 03-13-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RL52R7m8b7w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-13-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
She is getting old and senile ... Things happen in threes: 1) Harrison Ford broke his leg; 2) She got in a car wreck; 3) the wheel fell off her car; 3) Harrison Ford crashed his plane; 3) Mark Hamill must be in danger; 3) ???; 3) Profit.
Old 03-14-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Born in '74 and have photographic memory . I remember watching Star Wars in 1978 and it was not until 1979 that I started getting SW toys (had quite a few). 1981 watched ESB in LA and remember watching both SW movies in Matinées in Alahambra, CA up to 1982. My older cousins had SW on reel, and we collected SW baseball cards, toys, lunch boxes, etc. 1983 ROTJ was a big deal since promotional products were everywhere. Cereals, toys, school supplies, books, cartoons (droids & ewoks), all bled to 1984. I always liked SW, but as an 8 yo in 1983, it was fascinating due to the bombardment of products. Through these 3 movies we had Masters of the Universe, Smurfs, Indiana Jones, Dukes OH, CHIPS, etc. Add Atari, Colecovision, arcades, and you have an awesome childhood. I love ROTJ as much as the other two. I despise the enhancements and the prequels, but I don't bitch about them, I just go with it. There will never be anything like 1982, that was an awesome year for SW, 2 great films to dream with and the final chapter on its way.
Old 03-18-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

J.J to direct Episode IX? Interesting.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...de-ix-20150318
Old 03-18-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Not shocked. Execs are reportedly really happy with the film and I thought maybe they'd give him a break and then call him back every few years.
Old 03-18-15, 05:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

considering how much of a fan he is, I was surprised to hear he wasn't going to do all 3 to be honest. at least he gets to finish out the Skywalker saga on his own terms.
Old 03-18-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If he's a real fan, he won't be credited as director of the third movie despite calling all the shots.
Old 03-18-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The man has to sleep sometime.
Old 03-18-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The man has to sleep sometime.
I guess thats where Rian Johnson comes in.
Old 03-18-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

Joel Schumacher or I'm not going to see it!
Old 03-18-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7

thats just a given. unless Luke's Jedi robe has a six pack and nipples built into it, I just can't take it seriously.
Old 03-18-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
R2 & 3PO for some reason have 2 restraining bolts each in this one. Robo nipples!
Old 03-19-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone look at the new SW comics? Seems like most are set in OT era. Any post-ROTJ new comics out now?
Old 03-20-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Anyone look at the new SW comics? Seems like most are set in OT era. Any post-ROTJ new comics out now?
I've read all 7 "new canon" Marvel issues and they all take place between ANH and TESB. The main SW book (currently at #3) and the Vader book (currently at #2) are actually directly connected but the Princess Leia mini (currently at #2 of 5) starts directly after ANH and so far has not really overlapped with the other two books. The Kanan: The Last Padawan mini that starts next month is a Rebels prequel which would mostly place it late in the PT era.

The TFA-associated stuff is being held for a multimedia event called (I think) Journey to The Force Awakens but even then as far as I know the only thing that is specifically post-ROTJ/pre-TFA is a novel called Aftermath.

I'm actually trying to keep up with the "new canon" stuff but I'm struggling to finish the first novel "A New Dawn."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.