Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Just read a whole shit ton of new spoilers, and they all sound like they'd make a pretty cool film!

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/20...-and-plot.html
Old 02-03-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

More rumors - this is a long one.
Spoiler:

According to Jason at MSW,
The implication is that basically Rey and Luke go into hiding at exactly the same time for the same reason. She is the daughter of Han and Leia and she’s tasked with protecting a lightsaber that can open a proverbial Pandora’s Box of evil. Artifacts being sought after by Kylo Ren are collected because they’re trying to figure out which artifact will open the tomb. Luke Skywalker is guarding the tomb and being tormented by evil spirits that appears half crazed from the duty he’s been on.

Domhnall Gleeson was a rebel for many years and he’s the son of “a huge character.” But he defected to the Empire when he learned that the Rebels had constructed a super weapon in secret. With less than honorable people in the Rebel Alliance now, Gleeson’s character is tasked with hunting Finn while also on a secret mission to destroy both super weapons of the Empire and the Rebels.

Gwendoline Christie is his lead shock trooper. She’s a chrome trooper with black and red cape that is hunting Finn. She uses a lightsaber, is arrogant, demeaning, and kills indiscriminately. Her face is heavily scarred and she has a military haircut. Yes, the ability to cloak herself did come up and it supposedly is used twice in the movie.
Here is some elaboration:

Luke is in hiding during much of The Force Awakens. He has put himself in a self imposed exile and is protecting an ancient Sith tomb from being opened by the main bad guy, Kylo Ren.

He goes on to say that inside that tomb is the body of an ancient evil being. Luke Skywalker doesn’t know how to open this tomb buy Kylo does. Luke’s stay in this place has had him tormented by evil spirits of the past.

It is true that a simple lightsaber leads the trio to Han but what isn’t mentioned is that Han is extremely reluctant to allow his daughter to be part of this plan.

This source believes Rey is Han Solo’s daughter. Over the course of the film we learn she is in love with Poe and Han Solo does not approve.

There is a scene which shows Finn trying to shoot a blaster and he is awful – it’s a little in-joke about how inept Stormtroopers were in the Original Trilogy.

They say that Finn’s family was murdered by The Empire and he was forced into recruitment along with his best friend. His best friend is killed in the opening sequence of the film in front of Finn. This role is rumored to be played by Pip Andersen. It is shortly after this scene that he meets his likely next best friend for life, Poe.

Finn and Poe end up in an imperial brig after being caught.

Finn instantly dislikes Poe. But being in the brig they concoct a plan to steal a TIE Fighter. Meanwhile Rey fast-talks a guard and steals his keycard to break them out.

Finn and company steal an advanced TIE and unfortunately it crashes, injuring Finn.

This bit is confusing to me and doesn’t necessarily line up with how I thought things unfolded. None the less, Finn being injured in a TIE crash does line up with how he ends up in the Wagon Speeder, and the source does mention that stuff too.

There is a scene in the bar where Finn uses a lightsaber to deflect laser blasts at him and Rey says she thinks Finn has found his calling.

They also note that Finn is a total pacifist. He doesn’t fight those that killed his family but this is the pathway to Finn being able to defend the people he loves.

Max von Sydow: A former Rebel Alliance veteran now dealing in antiquities – very much like a SW version of Brody from Indiana Jones. It turns out that Rey has a lightsaber which holds information vital to the rebellion and this is hidden inside BB-8.

The old guy reveals to Rey that the crystal in the lightsaber they are holding has the ability to open the tomb Luke is guarding. If accurate, this could explain why the lightsaber is so important and why our heroes only have one while on the sand planet in the depictions I’ve seen.

Rey’s last name: Her real name is revealed through Han Solo much to the surprise of Finn and Poe.

I’m not exactly sure why Finn would be surprised she’s a Solo unless Solo is famous or something. They say she is reluctant to become a Jedi. Rey was put into hiding with the lightsaber crystal and forced to used a fake fake name to hide her association to her father and especially to Luke Skywalker. She is also angered to find out that her friend played by Max von Sydow was in on the ruse and was her watcher for all this time.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in there. I'm especially intrigued by the Gleeson aspect. Lucas used to say that these films would be a lot more grey than even the prequels, and having a character who fought on the same side as our heroes and then get disillusioned and join the Empire would certainly fit that film. Also, I love the concept of Luke and Rey being the guardians of something important.

As always, this is just a rumor until confirmed or denied by Lucasfilm or Disney.

Seems interesting.

Last edited by Ranger; 02-03-15 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Just read a whole shit ton of new spoilers, and they all sound like they'd make a pretty cool film!

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/20...-and-plot.html
Not too shabby
Old 02-03-15, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Re-hashing old stuff and lack of imagination in a J.J. Abrams film? Perish the thought.
If he can rehash Star Wars half as well as he did Star Trek, we're in for the best movie since Empire.
Old 02-03-15, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Spoiler:
He goes on to say that inside that tomb is the body of an ancient evil being.
Spoiler:
Plagueis?

Spoiler:
Domhnall Gleeson was a rebel for many years and he’s the son of “a huge character.”
Spoiler:
Jabba?

The only "huge character" that would make sense is Luke. I don't see a resemblance between Hamill and Gleeson like some fans do... unless the red hair is meant to be a subtle wink to EU followers (Mara Jade was a redhead). Come to think of it, I believe Ian McDiarmid was a ginger before going gray... so maybe Palpatine conceived a love child just prior to being thrown down a shaft?

Spoiler:
But he defected to the Empire when he learned that the Rebels had constructed a super weapon in secret.
Spoiler:
This sort of lends credence to the Death Star III rumor posted yesterday...

Last edited by joe_b; 02-04-15 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Spoiler:
Plagueis?
Spoiler:
Plagueis was Palpatine's master. So Plagueis isn't ancient. My guess would be Darth Bane. Bane is one of the most major ancient Sith since he is the one who created the rule of two. Bane was mentioned in the CGI Clone Wars animated series as well, so he is definitely canon.

Originally Posted by joe_b
Spoiler:
so maybe Palpatine conceived a love child just prior to being thrown down a shaft?
Spoiler:
Palpatine did have a child in the EU. It was a mutant triclops baby. Then the baby grew up and had a normal looking baby named Ken Palpatine. Yes, you read that right. Ken Palpatine. So the Emperor has a mutant triclops son and a grandson named Ken.

Of course, that's not canon. Even later EU stories disregarded it, but that's still some pretty fucked up stuff.

Spoiler:
Nothing to see here. I just didn't think there were enough spoiler tags.
Old 02-04-15, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Just out of left field here, would it be possible to get this film ready for a July release? (I assume not because of the special effects).

It just seems like having a summer release date would be more appropriate for Star Wars.
Old 02-04-15, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I have to wonder if all of these 'spoilers' that are creeping out are actually foilers planted by Lucasfilm.
Old 02-04-15, 03:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Just out of left field here, would it be possible to get this film ready for a July release? (I assume not because of the special effects).

It just seems like having a summer release date would be more appropriate for Star Wars.
Disney already has Ant-Man coming out in July. They aren't going to want to cannibalize their own sales.
Old 02-04-15, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have to wonder if all of these 'spoilers' that are creeping out are actually foilers planted by Lucasfilm.
It wouldn't be the first time for JJ, but some of the early spoilers have been proven true. Who knows.

I eat up the hype. A friend of mine never watches even trailers for movies he wants to see, but I'm the exact opposite. Even if I know a lot of the plot, there will still be plenty to surprise and entertain me.
Old 02-04-15, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
It wouldn't be the first time for JJ, but some of the early spoilers have been proven true. Who knows.

I eat up the hype. A friend of mine never watches even trailers for movies he wants to see, but I'm the exact opposite. Even if I know a lot of the plot, there will still be plenty to surprise and entertain me.
I like going into a movie or tv show totally unspoiled, so I have tried to stay away from any major spoiler for TFA. Now I like to see trailers, and I don't mind any minor spoilers of characters, locations, etc.

It's tougher in the age of the internet and social media because you are bombarded with stuff everyday, so its tough to resist. But as you said, JJ has a history of giving false spoilers, so even the ones I have heard I have taken with a huge grain of salt:

Spoiler:
Luke's hand from Cloud City floating around the universe and is a huge plot point in TFA. I'm calling this bullshit because its so ridiculous!
Old 02-04-15, 07:56 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I like going into a movie or tv show totally unspoiled, so I have tried to stay away from any major spoiler for TFA. Now I like to see trailers, and I don't mind any minor spoilers of characters, locations, etc.

It's tougher in the age of the internet and social media because you are bombarded with stuff everyday, so its tough to resist. But as you said, JJ has a history of giving false spoilers, so even the ones I have heard I have taken with a huge grain of salt:

Spoiler:
Luke's hand from Cloud City floating around the universe and is a huge plot point in TFA. I'm calling this bullshit because its so ridiculous!
Spoiler:
Old 02-04-15, 09:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Spoiler:
Plagueis was Palpatine's master. So Plagueis isn't ancient.
Spoiler:
Regardless, wanting to obtain the power to cheat death and create life could be very appealing for a Sith fanatic like Kylo Ren. As soon as this movie was announced, I figured Lucas would try to include Plagueis in some capacity... especially since he was mentioned by name in Episode III. I think there were even rumors that Serkis' character resembles a ghoul/zombie.

Originally Posted by taffer
Palpatine did have a child in the EU. It was a mutant triclops baby.
And that's why I'm glad they're ignoring the EU...

Spoiler:
One character I feel Gleeson's could be related to is Tarkin. That's a resemblance I can see... though he'd have to be a grandson or nephew.

MSW even mentioned that one of the armbands an Imperial Major wears in the movie says "TARKIN" in Aurebesh.
Old 02-04-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tarkin was the subject of the 2nd "new continuity" novel and has been one of the few classic characters that has appeared in Star Wars Rebels so it would make sense that Disney is trying to keep the character fresh in the minds of Star Wars nerds.
Old 02-04-15, 10:46 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
If he can rehash Star Wars half as well as he did Star Trek, we're in for the best movie since Empire.
That's debatable. Suffice it to say, that if you think Trekkies are persnickety about their beloved franchise, you ain't seen nothing yet with Star Wars fans.
Old 02-04-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure about Gleeson - seemed like he was only a secondary character?

I like the new rumor on Max. Makes a lot more sense than him being Boba or Anakin.

I really like the Sith
Spoiler:
tomb. I hope it is a new Sith lord and not Plagueis.
Old 02-04-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,042 Posts

That's debatable. Suffice it to say, that if you think Trekkies are persnickety about their beloved franchise, you ain't seen nothing yet with Star Wars fans.
I am both a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan and cannot wait for the new movie.
Old 02-04-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Disagreed. One fanbase is as bad as the other.
Old 02-04-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I am both a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan and cannot wait for the new movie.
Well it's obvious you like anything then pfft.
Old 02-04-15, 12:33 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Please don't get me wrong. I love the Original Trilogy. If they ever release the ORIGINAL Original Trilogy on Blu ray, I'll be first in line (or close to first in line). And I freely admit J.J. Abrams is a *much* better fit for SW than for ST. I just wish he hadn't used Trek as a demo reel for his Wars prowess.
Old 02-04-15, 02:19 PM

Received 4,602 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Those most recent rumors sound pretty good to me.
Old 02-04-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Tarkin was the subject of the 2nd "new continuity" novel and has been one of the few classic characters that has appeared in Star Wars Rebels so it would make sense that Disney is trying to keep the character fresh in the minds of Star Wars nerds.
This. I had even thought for a while that Tarkin had somehow escaped the Death Star (don't ask me how) and Von Sydow was playing him...but, regardless, I think there will be some kind of tie-in to his character.
Old 02-04-15, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This. I had even thought for a while that Tarkin had somehow escaped the Death Star (don't ask me how) and Von Sydow was playing him...but, regardless, I think there will be some kind of tie-in to his character.
"Evacuate!? In our moment of triumph!? I think you overestimate their chances!"

There's no way Tarkin survived. He wasn't about to evacuate at all.
Old 02-04-15, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Eh, even if he pulls a Star Trek and rehashes, at least it'll be entertaining, unlike the last 3 4 entries in this franchise.
The revisionist Internet history of people hating Jedi is the biggest, fucking joke in the world. I get it, it had ewoks \ teddys plus a rehashed Death Star. And sorry to say but it was not common knoweldge to us teenage \ younger selves that Ewoks were supposed to be Wookies (yes it would have been cooler) which I read way too often on the forums like this. This is not the Phantom Menace, where many people (myself included) convinced themselves upon release it was a great movie because we all wanted to experience the magic again but the time AOTC came around, we awoke from our silly daydream and realized it was all over.
Old 02-04-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not revisionism. Jedi was always seen to be the weak link long before anyone saw frame 1 of the prequel trilogy. The only revisionism here is the notion that people only started hating it after the PT.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.