Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Expendables 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Expendables 3

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
People should bitch about mediocrity in these action films.
But then I can't turn my brain off at the door.
Old 03-23-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Being "fine" w/ something like EX3 and thinking it was decent is just wrong. That's what keeps genres to be crap. Thanks, Mike86.

People should bitch about mediocrity in these action films.

Expendables, as a franchise, is about a group of badasses kicking ass. And technically... that does happen. It just doesn't happen in any badass fashion. They just do. You don't feel the badassness in the action aside from these little bits of fun. Predator has a group of badasses that succeeds in promoting that visual. And you know what? You feel like that even though these guys are badasses they're still very much have limits and can die. And they do. We don't feel ANYTHING from the Expendables. It's just shooting and fighting but we don't care about these characters. We may care about the actors doing their thing but the characters they're supposed to be? Nope.
No offense but you seem to be taking it way too seriously. I go into these films with my expectations in check. A lot of these guys are older and not exactly in their primes anymore. For what the Expendables franchise is I think they've to make some fun films. Not outstanding but still decent. Let's be honest these are mostly novelty films and they aren't meant to be the best of all time in the genre or anything. It seems to me like you (and others) have gone into all these films with higher expectations than the franchise was realistically ever going to deliver.
Old 03-23-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
No offense but you seem to be taking it way too seriously. I go into these films with my expectations in check. These guys are older and not exactly in their primes anymore. For what the Expendables franchise is I think they've to make some fun films. Not outstanding but still decent. Let's be honest these are mostly novelty films and they aren't meant to be the best of all time in the genre or anything. It seems to me like you (and others) have gone into all these films with higher expectations than the franchise was realistically ever going to deliver.
I have all three on BD (even bought both cuts of the first) so I obviously enjoy them. That said, their is obvious room for improvement and there are practical ways to make these films even better. Perhaps I don't get as incensed about it as Snake does but I sort of get what he means. Basically, these movies should be to Stallone what the Fast & Furious films are to Vin Diesel. But those started to turn around at the 4th and 5th entries so there's still hope for this franchise to live up to its potential.
Old 03-23-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They really aren't signature films of any of the actors though if you ask me. Like I said these to me are more or less about the novelty of seeing all these big name action stars in films together. Obviously I agree they could be better but I take them for what they are. I think to be honest some fans were always going to be disappointed in films like these just because I think expectations were high from most fanboys. It's understandable yet at the same time I'm not surprised by how they've turned out.
Old 03-24-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I won't win any new friends either, but I thought EX3 was just fine as well. Banderas Not sure what anybody should be expecting by now. Considering the initial frenzy the Expendables concept created in the beginning, yeah, the series is a disappointment. But it stands to reason they'll get more chances to improve. Or get worse, whichever.
Old 03-24-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I like the EXPENDABLES films (well, #2 & 3, that is) because they remind me of the mid-range action films I used to see at 42nd Street and Times Square theaters after work back in the '80s and '90s. Chuck Norris in INVASION USA (on a double bill with NINJA III: DOMINATION), Seagal in ABOVE THE LAW, UNDER SIEGE and ON DEADLY GROUND, Van Damme in HARD TARGET, MAXIMUM RISK, DOUBLE TEAM, THE QUEST, etc. Nothing too ambitious, nothing too fancy, no DARK KNIGHT-style introspection, just boom-boom, straight-ahead action films. And EXII&III delivered the goods.
Old 03-24-15, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately... none of them are good action films. And there is little good action in all of them.
Old 03-24-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I like the EXPENDABLES films (well, #2 & 3, that is) because they remind me of the mid-range action films I used to see at 42nd Street and Times Square theaters after work back in the '80s and '90s. Chuck Norris in INVASION USA (on a double bill with NINJA III: DOMINATION), Seagal in ABOVE THE LAW, UNDER SIEGE and ON DEADLY GROUND, Van Damme in HARD TARGET, MAXIMUM RISK, DOUBLE TEAM, THE QUEST, etc. Nothing too ambitious, nothing too fancy, no DARK KNIGHT-style introspection, just boom-boom, straight-ahead action films. And EXII&III delivered the goods.
Old 03-24-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with this. I think the films are fine for what they are. I was never expecting an action classic out of them, just a rare grouping of bad ass action stars shooting people and kicking ass. I never expected these to be as over the top as the Fast and Furious movies and I'm ok with that.
Old 03-24-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a fucking time to be alive!
Old 03-24-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I still thought the film was fine for what it was. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but in line with the other films in the series and I thought it was pretty decent.
I know what I'm in for when you have action stars of yesteryear involved. Expectations have been tapered. Oh, and the Blu-ray for EX3 is fucking phenomenal! DEMO DTS lossless track.
Old 03-24-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I know what I'm in for when you have action stars of yesteryear involved. Expectations have been tapered. Oh, and the Blu-ray for EX3 is fucking phenomenal! DEMO DTS lossless track.
You mean DEMO DOLBY ATMOS track.

And I agree. Tbe BD is awesome.
Old 03-24-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You mean DEMO DOLBY ATMOS track.

And I agree. Tbe BD is awesome.
Yeah, that's it.
Old 03-24-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Exactly. I think this is what some don't understand about the franchise. I think the people who are most disappointed likely set themselves up to be with their expectations. That isn't to say that I think there's no room for improvement but the films have been in line with what I've expected which is why I haven't been disappointed. I think if these films were done in the late eighties or early nineties when these guys were still young and in their primes I'd have been more disappointed with what we've gotten.
Old 03-24-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Exactly. I think this is what some don't understand about the franchise. I think the people who are most disappointed likely set themselves up to be with their expectations. That isn't to say that I think there's no room for improvement but the films have been in line with what I've expected which is why I haven't been disappointed. I think if these films were done in the late eighties or early nineties when these guys were still young and in their primes I'd have been more disappointed with what we've gotten.

Agreed.
Old 03-24-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I totally get where Mike86 and Why So Blu? are coming from. These guys aren't in their prime and this is a novelty franchise. However, I still think something better can be achieved. Just look at what Stallone managed when he revived Rocky Balboa and John Rambo (ignoring, of course, that he seems hell bent on fucking all that up) prior to making The Expendables. Neither was a mega budget blockbuster but both were highly entertaining features with a lot of heart. Something of that quality is what I'd like to see from the Expendables franchise. The movies are fun and I definitely enjoy them but I do feel more can be done with the concept if they were more focused in their approach.

I'm not with Solid Snake regarding his hatred of the third (just as I disagree with him in his belief that the first is the best in the franchise) but I do agree that these guys are capable of more.