Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
This bastard I know hyped up the whole IMAX thing, and it was indeed worth seeing it in IMAX.
What city did you see it in?
Old 07-24-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Glad to see the bit about Bale visiting the victims. Despite the screaming tape some years back, he's always seemed like a pretty decent guy and it's good to see he did something kind without turning it into a pr move.

Anyway, as a fan of pretty much all of Nolan's work who likes DKR, but thinks it's his most flawed film, I'm going to have bow out of this thread. It'd be too much of a pain in the ass to figure out who all to add to my ignore list to make it readable and would probably hide 2/3 of the posts. It's sadly hilarious how dickish and condescending people get when they think a movie's the best/worst thing they've seen in the last couple of months and goddam anyone who points out anything bad/good about it.
Old 07-24-12, 07:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
This bastard I know hyped up the whole IMAX thing, and it was indeed worth seeing it in IMAX. So thanks, you bastard.

Sounds like a real jerk.
Old 07-24-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts

If you saw TDK in IMAX 15/70, you were most likely going to see TDKR in IMAX 15/70 knowing over an hour of the film was going to be presented in that format.
Old 07-24-12, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. This was really worth IMAX. How many minutes was it of IMAX footage? 70 + but exactly?
Old 07-24-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I think you're really downplaying what actually happened in the context of the story. These guys share a connection that very few people in the world can understand. You're oversimplifying it with the "I saw your face and I knew" stuff. If Coleman Reese can figure it out on a hunch I don't know why John Blake couldn't. Blake talks about how excited they were to meet Bruce, he was a hero to these guys, because he was just like them, but wildly successful. Blake probably spent a lot of time thinking about Bruce and put it all together, it's not like there weren't other clues: Bruce Wayne's return after 7 years coinciding with Batman's emergence. Bruce Wayne being one of the only people in the world with the resources to fund something like Batman. Recognizing the mask hiding his pain and anger was only the final piece of the puzzle.
Reese's discovery was far more then a hunch. He had direct access to Wayne Enterprise documents and followed a paper trail. That makes a lot more sense to me then the explanation that Blake had in the movie. It would be less of an annoyance if the movie conveyed a little more of the discovery that you're assuming happened, but since it wasn't actually shown it just ends up somewhat abrupt and random.
Old 07-24-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Reese's discovery was far more then a hunch. He had direct access to Wayne Enterprise documents and followed a paper trail. That makes a lot more sense to me then the explanation that Blake had in the movie. It would be less of an annoyance if the movie conveyed a little more of the discovery that you're assuming happened, but since it wasn't actually shown it just ends up somewhat abrupt and random.
We don't see any of Reese's investigation either. Both characters figured it out in their own in different ways. It's just that you can swallow one, but not the other. Neither knew for sure, but it was a hunch. Despite the blue prints, it could have been anybody at Wayne Enterprises, or somebody with access to that information, a contractor, like Reese. But no, he took a gamble with Fox like Blake took a gamble with Bruce, and in neither case did they try to deny it.

I'm just saying that seeing the blue prints and seeing Wayne's expression isn't enough in either case, it's one of many clues that the characters used to piece it all together. What I find silly is the assumption that the film would have been better off by devoting precious time to Blake's investigation, when it was wonderfully summarized with a quick dialogue that also gave us some good character insight. I'd prefer using my imagination.
Old 07-24-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Christian Bale gets a major thumbs up for visiting the victims. Very cool of him.
Old 07-24-12, 09:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah. This was really worth IMAX. How many minutes was it of IMAX footage? 70 + but exactly?
the number I read was 72

in terms of the scenes that were shot as such, a couple of minor shots like when Bruce wakes up, walks down a flight of stairs and opens the door to his manor was a very odd scene to be filmed in IMAX if you ask me. But on the whole, the 15/70 shot scenes were amazing!
Old 07-24-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bale with victim in Aurora...

I grew up in Aurora. Went to the same theater. My father died in the same hospital.

Great to see Bale visiting, the whole cast needs to visit.
Old 07-24-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We don't see any of Reese's investigation either. Both characters figured it out in their own in different ways. It's just that you can swallow one, but not the other. Neither knew for sure, but it was a hunch. Despite the blue prints, it could have been anybody at Wayne Enterprises, or somebody with access to that information, a contractor, like Reese. But no, he took a gamble with Fox like Blake took a gamble with Bruce, and in neither case did they try to deny it.
That's not quite how it happened with Reese. Fox's name was all over the paper trail he followed, and he knew that Fox was in Wayne's inner circle. He also knew that the tumbler was among the tech that Fox was taking "off book", and put 2 and 2 together. That is how easy it is to portray a logical deduction leading to a conclusion, even in a single scene.

In the case of Blake, all we have is his feeling that Wayne is an orphan with a similar history to his own. There is no dotted line that connects that feeling with "and therefore you are Batman".
Old 07-24-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

No they don't. It was an extremely nice thing for Bale to do but neither the cast nor studio owes anything to the victims or the city of Aurora. It was a really shitty thing that happened but the only one responsible was that crazy fucktard.
Old 07-24-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,118 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I've never noticed that Cotillard had a mole..but also...it's kind of common for a mole to develop as you age, no? Not really a thing that matters.
Plus they can move around as you grow and your skin stretches.
Old 07-24-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

You're kidding right? Why should the entire cast visit?
Old 07-24-12, 10:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Come on Aiden Gillen, get with the fucking program!
Old 07-24-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm just saying that seeing the blue prints and seeing Wayne's expression isn't enough in either case, it's one of many clues that the characters used to piece it all together. What I find silly is the assumption that the film would have been better off by devoting precious time to Blake's investigation, when it was wonderfully summarized with a quick dialogue that also gave us some good character insight. I'd prefer using my imagination.
Well yeah, I can swallow one and not the other because one shows zero logic and evidence, while the other has actual facts down on paper. We don't have to see the actual investigation, its just a matter of how they're explained to the audience. If both men came to you with their explanation of who Batman might be, do you really believe Blake?

I'm not saying we need to see Blake's investigation either, just him saying something more substantial then he's also an orphan and recognizes a look.

For what it's worth, Reese never specifically says it's Wayne, just that Wayne Enterprises is heavily involved. The actual exchange -

REESE
You wanted me to do the diligence on the L.S.I. Holdings deal, again. Well, I found some irregularities.

FOX
Their CEO is in police custody.

REESE
No, not with their numbers. With yours. Applied sciences, a whole division of Wayne Enterprise just disappeared, overnight. I went down to the archives and I started pulling some old files. Don't tell me you didn't recognize your baby out there, pancaking cop cars on the evening news. Now you've got the entire R and D department burning through cash, claiming it's related to cell phones for the army? What are you building for him now? A rocket ship? I want ten million dollars, a year, for the rest of my life.

FOX
Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands... and now your plan is to blackmail this person? Good luck.
Old 07-24-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
The plot holes really made the movie hard to enjoy:
Spoiler:
When Blake got caught letting cops out, they killed the cop instantly, but WAITED for minutes and minutes walking around lining him up to shoot him for no other reason than because he was a main character.

It was a little too ridiculous having the cops with billy clubs do a Braveheart style rush on machine guns. Especially when they were so slow building up to it being easy targets. Why couldn't the cops be more intelligent? Maybe rappel off the building above the bad guys? No, just run up the main street?

Batman's suit isn't made of kevlar? If not bulletproof at least knife proof is more realistic isnt it? I thought Fox said in the first movie it would withstand anything up to straight shot. He even made the quip about tangling with cats.
I was wondering what happened to all the guns the cops took with them into the tunnels
Old 07-25-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

With regards to his suit in this film, in Dark Knight doesn't Fox make he's suit more flexible at the cost of being more susceptible to being injured?
Old 07-25-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, I remember that from the 2nd film. Bruce wanted a suit that was easier to move in, but the result would be being more vulnerable to knives and dogs.

But yeah,
Spoiler:
how did the police lose their guns?
Old 07-25-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Yeah, I remember that from the 2nd film. Bruce wanted a suit that was easier to move in, but the result would be being more vulnerable to knives and dogs.

But yeah,
Spoiler:
how did the police lose their guns?
Maybe they were shooting the rubble, or broken trying to dig out?
Old 07-25-12, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I was wondering what happened to all the guns the cops took with them into the tunnels
Someone stupidly told them to throw them down a storm drain, just like someone told the entire police force to willfully walk into a tunnel.
Old 07-25-12, 09:01 AM
Banned

I love how most of these "plot holes" amount to viewers who can't be bothered to pay attention to the movie they're watching.
Old 07-25-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Most movies are littered with plotholes, but they're usually nit picks and don't effect the thematic or character points, Nolan isn't exempt from this... Kind of like in Memento, if Leonard Shelby can't create new memories, how does he remember that he can't create new memories.
Old 07-25-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Most movies are littered with plotholes, but they're usually nit picks and don't effect the thematic or character points, Nolan isn't exempt from this... Kind of like in Memento, if Leonard Shelby can't create new memories, how does he remember that he can't create new memories.
You obviously didn't watch the movie close enough. Memento is a thinking man's movie. If you didn't understand such a basic plotpoint then you're simply not smart enough to watch the movie and should stick to The Avengers.
Old 07-25-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
You obviously didn't watch the movie close enough. Memento is a thinking man's movie. If you didn't understand such a basic plotpoint then you're simply not smart enough to watch the movie and should stick to The Avengers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.