Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by whotony
What are you babbling about here?
Scene of violence contrasted with innocence/purity of a child's vocal performance. You've seen it a million times. Check the episode out on Netflix or Hulu. Skip to about 13 minutes in (or watch the whole thing, it's pretty great overall) and compare it with the stadium scene w/ the Star Spangled Banner. Laugh at Nolan.
Old 07-22-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Guilty. I've even watched the truly-awful "Following."

I will cop to kinda liking "Memento" though but I literally have to wait like 5 years between viewings because it pretty much falls apart when you know all the twists and turns. It's kind ironic that I have to forget the "secrets" to enjoy it.
And yet you say you're not trolling? C'mon. I'd bang the crap out of Sarah Silverman, but no need to thread crap.
Old 07-22-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it a second time today and loved it even more. Loved hearing the audiences reactions when:

Spoiler:
Miranda's true colors are revealed

and

Spoiler:
Bruce and Selina are shown at the end - this was done perfectly as far as I'm concerned

70mm huge IMAX showing next weekend - can't wait.
Old 07-22-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I am watching it right now and 8 minutes in I'm still waiting for the funny.
Actually other then the Internets I don't know anyone who thinks she has done anything funny.

Police thinking a fart bomb is a real bomb, genius.

Also what does this have to do with anything about Rises?
If you are saying that Nolan copied that scene from Silverman's show, then I'm not sure what to say.
Old 07-22-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am watching it right now and 8 minutes in I'm still waiting for the funny.
Actually other then the Internets I don't know anyone who thinks she has done anything funny.

Police thinking a fart bomb is a real bomb, genius.

Also what does this have to do with anything about Rises?
If you are saying that Nolan copied that scene from Silverman's show, then I'm not sure what to say.
Never said he copied it. I merely pointed out that a "brilliant" (hacky) Nolan scene in 2012 was already being mocked in, what, 2006?
Old 07-22-12, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Never said he copied it. I merely pointed out that a "brilliant" (hacky) Nolan scene in 2012 was already being mocked in, what, 2006?
So Sarah Silverman's responsible for kids singing the national anthem now.
Old 07-22-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok but just a coincidence to me. I'm sure there are plenty of scenes in movies that have been done in a sitcom before being put in a movie.
Old 07-22-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok but just a coincidence to me. I'm sure there are plenty of scenes in movies that have been done in a sitcom before being put in a movie.
Of course it's a coincidence but it demonstrates what an unoriginal hack Nolan is.

And I never said it originated from TSSP. My whole point (which I've mentioned several times) is that that scene was already an over-used cliche to the point that it was already being parodied years before Our Savior and Lord Christopher Nolan was brilliant enough to think it up.
Old 07-22-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No it doesn't. It was a coincidence. There is no other occurrence like this ever before with any other great or very good director?
Old 07-22-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont see how anyone can watch TDK then TDKR and think they are the same caliber. TDK is world class filmmaking full of moral gray areas, intricate plotting and batman action... TDKR feels like the cheesy 60s TV show by comparison. Can't even believe it is the same director.
Old 07-22-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CloverClover
I dont see how anyone can watch TDK then TDKR and think they are the same caliber. TDK is world class filmmaking full of moral gray areas, intricate plotting and batman action... TDKR feels like the cheesy 60s TV show by comparison. Can't even believe it is the same director.
Disagree. When was the last time you watched TDK? I just watched it and I REMEMBER it being much better than it actually was. I think a lot of people elevate the entire movie simply because they like Heath Ledger's performance too. I just said it, but after just watching all 3 pretty much in a row, I found TDK to be the least entertaining.
Old 07-22-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's hyperbole, and then there's just plain old bullshit.

I'm trying to decide if this is one, the other, or both.

Both works.
Old 07-22-12, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
So Sarah Silverman's responsible for kids singing the national anthem now.
Have you seen what he's referring to?
Old 07-22-12, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Have you seen what he's referring to (it doesn't sound like it)?
Askew has been on ignore for four years.

Why?

Let's just say all of this garbage he's spewing was 'been there done that' four years ago. That's why it's so familiar (people keep quoting him)

What was the movie called again?

Shit's just not worth it. Habitual threadcrappers are a waste of time. Difference of opinion, not liking something, that's fine. Repeating the same stuff over and over again like a broken record 4 years apart is not worth reading or responding to, but here we are.
Old 07-22-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easily one of the best movies I've seen in my life. When I have kids, this will be my "I was there" movie series
When you have kids and tell them "I was there"...they'll just point and laugh at their wheezing geriatric dad.
Old 07-22-12, 11:56 PM

I wont get into great detail but IMO this was by far the weakest of the trilogy. I thought the first hour or so was painfully slow & boring. The other 2 hours felt rushed and thrown together. I found myself not really caring about any of the characters. I left feeling pretty disappointed.
Old 07-23-12, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
When you have kids and tell them "I was there"...they'll just point and laugh at their wheezing geriatric dad.
Pretty much. They'll probably be raving about Spider-man 2099 or whatever the fuck is out then.
Old 07-23-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As soon as

Spoiler:
Miranda stabbed him, I was like "Oh shit, that's Talia"
Old 07-23-12, 12:07 AM

I saw it Friday night, and then again last night.

All I want to do is see it again, and I'm holding off until I can get into an IMAX screening that's not sold out.
Old 07-23-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
after just watching all 3 pretty much in a row, I found TDK to be the least entertaining.
TDK had a very straight-forward, dramatic feel to it, which I can appreciate (and it's a great film in it's own right)... but I personally enjoyed the more comic-book sensibilities of the first and third films.
Old 07-23-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If I was Warner Bros., I'd be throwing money at Nolan to continue with the Batman universe.
Old 07-23-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sort of feel this way too. At times in the movie, it felt like it was a parody of itself. It just didn't have that same sense of urgency of The Dark Knight.

There was a lot more suspension of belief in this movie. A lot more, like his 90 day back rehabilitation, a city deciding to send in every single cop in its city underground, a flying vehicle that looks like something out of Avatar.

And then there were issues that were all too predictable, we know you're going to get out of that pit without the rope. We know, please stop wasting our time. We know Bane is going to kill that asshole chairman that just won't shut up. We know.

The "occupy" theme was sort of a muddled mess. There was a real chance for some commentary there about the rich and the poor but I think '89 Batman actually used that metaphor better by showing us corrupt cops, having the Joker crash a high end restaurant and giving all the money away to the people. And of course, Burton wasn't even thinking of those things.

And then there was just the corniness. Like when the coward police chief gets shot, no blood, just lying there, just weird and awkward. Batman telling JGL every 5 minutes that he needs to wear a mask, we get it, dude. And every single time one of our lesser known heroes is in trouble, Batman or Catwoman are right there to save them. Tate's final scene in the truck was probably one of the worst cliches I've seen in a movie ever. But we're all pretty much sold on the seriousness of the movie so we don't laugh inappropriately.

I think the best scene in the movie, by far, was the first Batman/Bane fight. And even then that sequence wasn't nearly as good as any scene that the Joker appeared in during the last movie.

Having said all that, I did like the movie. But yeah, not even close to The Dark Knight.
Old 07-23-12, 12:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
And then there was just the corniness. Like when the coward police chief gets shot, no blood, just lying there, just weird and awkward.
Have you seen The Dark Knight recently? The lack of blood from gunshot wounds is not new and is certainly not anything that anyone with good sense should complain about with this movie, considering that the "most serious" of these movies begins with a scene in which multiple guards get shot at point blank with semi-automatics and just fall to the ground, no blood, no gunshot wounds, nothing. And the camera stays on them, too, so its not even artfully handled.

If anything, TDKR handled the violence far more realistically than the previous film. The hanging scene alone was more violent (and less "corny") than anything that came in the previous movie.
Old 07-23-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
As soon as

Spoiler:
Miranda stabbed him, I was like "Oh shit, that's Talia"
I'm embarassed that I didn't realize this was the 2nd time a seemingly random-ass character gets introduced and I don't realize it's:

Spoiler:
One of the Al Ghuls'. Though I remember making the comment when I first saw Neeson's character in the first film, that he 'looked more like Ra's Al Ghul'

If anything, TDKR handled the violence far more realistically than the previous film. The hanging scene alone was more violent (and less "corny") than anything that came in the previous movie.
I thought the hanging scene in TDK was pretty violent/disturbing for a film like that.
Old 07-23-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
There was a lot more suspension of belief in this movie. A lot more, like his 90 day back rehabilitation, a city deciding to send in every single cop in its city underground, a flying vehicle that looks like something out of Avatar.
Considering that in the comics, his back was healed by magic... I think it was an improvement.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.