Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I need to see it again, but can you elaborate? Were they showing some kind of count on the TV screen they had to show Gotham?
Yes, that exactly. The number of days since Bane took over Gotham is shown on the TV in Bruce's prison. It updates every time we go back to him.

I find it amazing that anyone could've missed it.
Old 07-24-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Yes, that exactly. The number of days since Bane took over Gotham is shown on the TV in Bruce's prison. It updates every time we go back to him.

That's pretty cool - I have to admit I missed it or don't remember it but my first viewing of a film like this is always a blur.

I also didn't realize the kid was a girl climbing out of the pit. In my defense, I got up at 10am to see the movie after a poker night that lasted until after 3am.

I decided to watch BB and TDK last night in advance of my second screening, and I had forgotten about the line in BB where Ra's tells Bruce he lost his wife. Nice to see the seeds there in the first movie.
Old 07-24-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of us were napping.
Old 07-24-12, 11:27 AM
Banned

That's pretty cool - I have to admit I missed it or don't remember it but my first viewing of a film like this is always a blur.

I also didn't realize the kid was a girl climbing out of the pit. In my defense, I got up at 10am to see the movie after a poker night that lasted until after 3am.

I decided to watch BB and TDK last night in advance of my second screening, and I had forgotten about the line in BB where Ra's tells Bruce he lost his wife. Nice to see the seeds there in the first movie.
I feel like this film definitely rewards multiple viewings, if only for all the little easter eggs Nolan put in scenes (like the original Batphone and Bane's mask) and small callbacks to the previous movies.

I also noticed while watching Batman Begins, that the prototype Tumbler that Lucius shows Wayne (and that they test drive) in BB is one of the ones that Bane steals in TDKR. I'd forgotten that they didn't all come in black (hence Lucius' callback in TDKR to Bruce's "Does it come in black?" line in the first film).

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Some of us were napping.
Well, that's understandable. It didn't have shit blowing up every few seconds like The Avengers. This movie requires a bit of concentration and thought.
Old 07-24-12, 11:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Bane's mask easter egg?
Old 07-24-12, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Bane's mask easter egg?
You can see Bane's original mask (the wrestler mask from the comics) behind Bruce in the scene where John Blake tells him how he deduced Batman's identity.

There are a few of these sorts of things in the movie.
Old 07-24-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that's understandable. It didn't have shit blowing up every few seconds like The Avengers. This movie requires a bit of concentration and thought.
That's all I can say. It's a continuous cycle. If only you used your powers for good instead of evil.
Old 07-24-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can see Bane's original mask (the wrestler mask from the comics) behind Bruce in the scene where John Blake tells him how he deduced Batman's identity.

There are a few of these sorts of things in the movie.
Groucho isn't as good of a thinker and concentrator.
Old 07-24-12, 11:48 AM
Banned

There was a counter on the screen every time we saw Bruce. l
It isn't seen once in the scene I mentioned, the "back recovery" segment which takes all of three minutes and mostly consists of Bruce's R'as dream.
Old 07-24-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not to mention the fact that it goes from summer in Gotham to winter by the time Wayne recovers and makes his way back. But yeah, the counter showing 80 days etc was pretty obvious
Old 07-24-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that a lot of people missed that. It was a deliberate attempt to deceive the audience. We were led to believe that the kid who climbed was Bane. Sure, it was possible to figure it out, but we were led to believe that the kid was Bane. Frankly, I think it was a bit of a cop out and too deceiving since Marion Cotillard is a very recognizable actress, if for no other reason than simply due to the mole on her forehead. The kid in the pit didn't have a mole on her forehead, so why would we assume she was the one who climbed out of the pit and not Bane?
Old 07-24-12, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that a lot of people missed that. It was a deliberate attempt to deceive the audience. We were led to believe that the kid who climbed was Bane. Sure, it was possible to figure it out, but we were led to believe that the kid was Bane. Frankly, I think it was a bit of a cop out and too deceiving since Marion Cotillard is a very recognizable actress, if for no other reason than simply due to the mole on her forehead. The kid in the pit didn't have a mole on her forehead, so why would we assume she was the one who climbed out of the pit and not Bane?
My gosh are you serious right now. The little girl didn't have a mole on her forehead. That's why it was set up like that. If you recognize the mole you automatically can figure out who that is.
Old 07-24-12, 12:36 PM
Banned

I had no fucking idea Cotillard ever had a mole on her forehead and I've been watching her films for years. I am at a loss for words.
Old 07-24-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
My gosh are you serious right now. The little girl didn't have a mole on her forehead. That's why it was set up like that. If you recognize the mole you automatically can figure out who that is.
That's my point. They cast a very recognizable actress with a distinctive feature right in the middle of her forehead, yet the younger version of her, didn't have that distinctive mark. Either don't cast Cotillard, or forget about trying to trick the audience. Also, the little "girl" didn't look like a girl. Like I said, it was a blatant attempt to trick the audience into thinking the kid was Bane so there could be a "gotcha" moment when it was revealed to be Miranda and not Bane.
Old 07-24-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
I had no fucking idea Cotillard ever had a mole on her forehead and I've been watching her films for years. I am at a loss for words.
You can't be serious. You've never noticed the mole on her forehead before? I'm at a loss for words.

Old 07-24-12, 01:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

"My forehead's up HERE!"
Old 07-24-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 348 Likes on 234 Posts

You can't be serious. You've never noticed the mole on her forehead before? I'm at a loss for words.
I can honestly say I've never noticed. I'm pretty oblivious to visual details like that.

P.S. New moles can appear into your teen years and beyond, so your complaint is a little silly.
Old 07-24-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering Cotillard's distinctive forehead?

(Not quite safe for work)
Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CDPUJOz9mZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-24-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
I can honestly say I've never noticed. I'm pretty oblivious to visual details like that.

P.S. New moles can appear into your teen years and beyond, so your complaint is a little silly.
In my opinion her mole is almost as distinctive as Cindy Crawford's or Marilyn Monroe's. If you were casting Cindy Crawford or Marilyn Monroe as a little girl, you wouldn't put a mole on the kid actress?

Last edited by whoopdido; 07-24-12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking about Cotillard. I know she filmed this after her pregnancy but good god were her tits big. Like..when Bruce and Miranda got into the house and you get that side shot of her as she looks at the photos I nearly spit out my drink cuz I don't remember her being so top heavy before lol. Jesus.
Old 07-24-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In my opinion her mole is almost as distinctive as Cindy Crawford's or Marilyn Monroe's. If you were casting Cindy Crawford or Marilyn Monroe as a little girl, you wouldn't a mole on the kid actress?
Well I certainly wouldn't if I was wanting to keep the audience from realizing it was the same character...
Old 07-24-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
Well I certainly wouldn't if I was wanting to keep the audience from realizing it was the same character...
Exactly.

Look, it was a very minor nitpick. I like Cotillard as an actress and I can certainly see why she was cast. I just thought it was overly "sneaky". But hey...it worked on me at least. I was convinced Bane was the kid who climbed and was definitely surprised when the truth was revealed.
Old 07-24-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exactly.

Look, it was a very minor nitpick. I like Cotillard as an actress and I can certainly see why she was cast. I just thought it was overly "sneaky". But hey...it worked on me at least. I was convinced Bane was the kid who climbed and was definitely surprised when the truth was revealed.
I hear ya. I think I would understand the nitpick more if it was medically impossible for the forehead mole to have developed after the age of the child. That's really all I was saying.
Old 07-24-12, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Spoiler:
It took about 3 months for his back to heal.

Blake knowing Bruce wasn't silly at all. I thought it was cool and I thought that it fit Blake's character of being parallel with Bruce. Blake also explained he came to this conclusion which I thought was very believable. It wasn't silly. I don't how anyone couldn't like that scene. JGL really nailed it.
Blake knowing Bruce was silly and contrived. Maybe, instead of him magically knowing Bruce was Batman (and Bruce not even denying it, WTF?!), he could have spent some of the movie doing legwork to uncover the truth, thus proving he could realistically take on the shoes of the World's Greatest Detective (although the movies have never stressed that side of Batman, sadly).
Old 07-24-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I actually suspected something was up with the kid because the guy fighting on the ground fought exactly like Bane.

However, I thought it was a boy until the reveal so I was expecting that kid to die or something while escaping.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.