Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I watched the trilogy out of order this weekend, starting with TDKR on Friday, BB on Saturday and TDK on Sunday. I didn't plan it that way, but I'm glad I did it that way because I think it let me better reflect on the themes that TDKR revisited without having the former films taint my immediate enjoyment of TDKR.

All three are phenomenal films with their own strengths and weaknesses:

Batman Begins: Strong origin story, which introduces themes that endure through the trilogy, but a third act that is easily the weakest of the three films. It is IMO more susceptible to nitpicking than TDKR by quite a stretch, though nobody seems to remember it that way, which I think is partly due to the silliness that it followed (Batman and Robin).

The Dark Knight: Strong film throughout with an absolutely stunning portrayal of the the Joker, both the way he's acted and the way he's written as a complete mystery and force of nature. It is also the most emotionally resonant with the death scene and the choice Batman makes at the end. The film also benefits from having Batman's two strongest villains with one of them having an actual arc. The third act ferry scene is every bit as hokey as anything in TDKR, and virtually everything Joker does is more worthy of nitpicking than anything in TDKR, but nobody seems to remember it that way.

Dark Knight Rises: More like Batman Begins in that it's a more traditional superhero movie, but it also delivers on some of the grittiness and drama of Dark Knight. It also does a fantastic job of weaving the themes and tones from the first two movies. Unfortunately, I didn't really find the escape from the pit, the bus full or orphans, or the cop charge nearly as resonant as I think they were intended to be. However, I thought both Bane and Catwoman were brilliant, and I enjoyed every second they were on screen. I thought the third act was about on par with Batman Begins in terms of writing, and it was the best of the three in terms of action. It had the best ending of the three, and I actually teared up a bit, so it did eventually resonate.

Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and to a slightly lesser extent Gary Olman absolutely anchored the entire trilogy and gave it a level of charm and wit that it would not have otherwise had.

IMO, tied with LOTR for best trilogy of all time.
Old 07-23-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
On a one on one yes. But it was never just Bane against Batman. It was Bane AND Talia. It was a one two punch of theatricality AND deception. You could even call it foreshadowing if you want. Foreshadowing with words as opposed to footage.

I was paraphrasing.
I'm unclear on what that has to do with the sillinesses of Bane saying he was raised in darkness when the place was flooded from above with sunlight or flying Bruce there to watch a video feed of news on Gotham when he could've just thrown his broken ass into any guarded area with a television.
Old 07-23-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
One thing my wife pointed out...if they wanted to hide the fact that the kid climbing out of the well was a girl, why did they cast a recognizable actress?

She wasn't that recognizable, obviously. The styling was perfect.
Old 07-23-12, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My wife recognized her immediately:

Old 07-23-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I'm unclear on what that has to do with the sillinesses of Bane saying he was raised in darkness when the place was flooded from above with sunlight or flying Bruce there to watch a video feed of news on Gotham when he could've just thrown his broken ass into any guarded area with a television.

He's breaking him down. He wasn't going to torture his body, but his "soul." He would give him a glimmer of hope (being able to easily climb out of the hole) before having him crash back down. The same way he would instill hope in Gotham before taking it away.

He talks about this in length.
Old 07-23-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts

- Bane/Talia's prison was stupid. First, Bane repeatedly barks about how he was raised in darkness and never saw light until he was a man and blah blah blah. Then he drops Bruce off there and it's basically a well with blinding sunlight pouring down from above, enough to light up the whole place. In flashbacks, they even show Bane, in the light, helping Talia escape.
The movie never actually shows Bane's original origin. There is a lot said and/or implied about him growing up in that prison, but that is actually Talia's origin. Bane may very well have grown up in literal darkness (recall, he's already a man in the flashback when he's in the light helping Talia escape) or it may have just been his own brand of theatricality/intimidation. The movie leaves it open.

Not to mention, why in the hell did they take Bruce to the prison, other than the fact that Nolan thought it'd be a neat place to film and obviously liked using it to force Bruce to 'grow' to be able to get back and help Gotham? It made zero sense to fly him halfway around the world to force him watch what was happening where he originally had been and it made his return to Gotham just feel silly.
Bane tells him exactly why - to torture Bruce's soul with a sense of false hope while he watches Gotham be destroyed. Any old lockdown wouldn't accomplish that. I think what you and other viewers are missing is that this was very personal for Bane and Talia - Gotham and it's inhabitants were just pawns in their personal vendetta.

- Blake as Batman? Well, I guess it's good they set up that the mantle can be handed off, because he's not going to last long. Wayne had years of training and the job still beat the hell out of him. Blake will be dead or a cripple within months.
I've seen this complaint multiple times now and I don't get it. The movie doesn't show Blake putting on the cowl and immediately running out to fight crime. You're assuming something that's not shown. It's up to Blake to prepare and decide when to use the resources Bruce has left him.
Old 07-23-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This was also cool:

Spoiler:
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it—I didn’t see the light until I was already a man. By then, it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you, because they belong to me"
Old 07-23-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Dark Knight Rises: More like Batman Begins in that it's a more traditional superhero movie, but it also delivers on some of the grittiness and drama of Dark Knight. It also does a fantastic job of weaving the themes and tones from the first two movies. Unfortunately, I didn't really find the escape from the pit, the bus full or orphans, or the cop charge nearly as resonant as I think they were intended to be. However, I thought both Bane and Catwoman were brilliant, and I enjoyed every second they were on screen. I thought the third act was about on par with Batman Begins in terms of writing, and it was the best of the three in terms of action. It had the best ending of the three, and I actually teared up a bit, so it did eventually resonate.
I cannot fathom how anyone could say this. I'm having a hard time remembering the action in TDKR. Let's see, we had the plane sequence, two fights where Bane and Batman punched each other until one of them lost, some short Catwoman fights, a quick motorcycle chase, a part where armed police officers ran at armed goons like no one had guns, some Bat flying around stuff and that's pretty much it.

TDK had so many better moments. The entire police van sequence was more memorable than anything in Rises.
Old 07-23-12, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I've seen this complaint multiple times now and I don't get it. The movie doesn't show Blake putting on the cowl and immediately running out to fight crime. You're assuming something that's not shown. It's up to Blake to prepare and decide when to use the resources Bruce has left him.
You're right, but the movie heavily implies that Blake will become Batman. Constant referrals that "anybody can wear the mask", etc. And it's hardly subtle when we see Blake going up on the platform followed by "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES" (reminded me of the rat at the end of The Departed).
Old 07-23-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife recognized her immediately:

I had to look her up, but I don't think she's that recognizable. It isn't like Ramona and Beezus was a big hit, especially to people that are watching Batman.

EDIT: Oh, I guess she was in Battle LA too. I don't know, when I was watching the movie I couldn't tell it was a girl. Heh.

Originally Posted by Draven
I cannot fathom how anyone could say this. I'm having a hard time remembering the action in TDKR. Let's see, we had the plane sequence, two fights where Bane and Batman punched each other until one of them lost, some short Catwoman fights, a quick motorcycle chase, a part where armed police officers ran at armed goons like no one had guns, some Bat flying around stuff and that's pretty much it.

TDK had so many better moments. The entire police van sequence was more memorable than anything in Rises.
The more I watch the police van sequence the more I dislike it because of the running commentary by the police guy in the van.

Personally for me, the first Bane/Batman fight is very memorable to me. That was my favorite fight in the whole trilogy.
Old 07-23-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're right, but the movie heavily implies that Blake will become Batman. Constant referrals that "anybody can wear the mask", etc. And it's hardly subtle when we see Blake going up on the platform followed by "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES" (reminded me of the rat at the end of The Departed).
I agree, but it does not show when he'll become Batman, what training he'll undergo, or even exactly what resources have been left to him. Making assumptions about how all of that will play out is over-thinking it and missing the point.
Old 07-23-12, 09:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

question about TDK: Why didn't they blame Dent's death on The Joker, the guy who was killing everyone throughout the movie?
Old 07-23-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
question about TDK: Why didn't they blame Dent's death on The Joker, the guy who was killing everyone throughout the movie?
Because Joker was hanging ten on the side of a building while Batman, Gordon, and Dent were the only ones at their respective scene.
Old 07-23-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Because the Joker was already in custody at the time of death for Dent.
Old 07-23-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

The movie never actually shows Bane's original origin. There is a lot said and/or implied about him growing up in that prison, but that is actually Talia's origin. Bane may very well have grown up in literal darkness (recall, he's already a man in the flashback when he's in the light helping Talia escape) or it may have just been his own brand of theatricality/intimidation. The movie leaves it open.
Fair enough. Nothing in the movie suggests it, but it doesn't rule it out either, so that's as good an explanation as any. Though, I'm not convinced the writers thought it that far through given some of the other issues.

Bane tells him exactly why - to torture Bruce's soul with a sense of false hope while he watches Gotham be destroyed. Any old lockdown wouldn't accomplish that. I think what you and other viewers are missing is that this was very personal for Bane and Talia - Gotham and it's inhabitants were just pawns in their personal vendetta.
It was a ridiculous stretch to believe, within the universe Nolan created, that a magic doctor-punch and a couple months of primitive 'rehab' healed Bruce to the point that he could walk, let alone climb out of the well jail. It's even more ridiculous to think Bane planned it that way. Bane's torture of Bruce was supposed to be watching the citizens of the city tear each other apart thinking they can save themselves at the expense of others, while he can do nothing but lay there. This is explicitly explained, and the villains did a piss poor job executing it. It was implied they were going to pit the wealthy against the poor and leave one bridge open with the military guarding it, so that the government would be forced to gun down fleeing citizens. Instead, all that either got cut or never happened. People basically just had to obey the world's strictest curfew while a bunch of criminals distributed food to them, took out their trash, kept the power and water running, etc.

The implication was extremely strong, with Bruce leaving the goodies to Blake and the repaired bat signal as a means to call him. Regardless, by the time Bruce was Blake's age, he'd been training for years, with at least one extremely talented fighter who submitted him to a brutal regimen. Unless Batman starts using guns, I can't see Blake having much of a chance.
Old 07-23-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven

TDK was a crime drama, albeit a very good one, punctuated by 3 action scenes (the police van, the finale with Joker and Hong Kong).

TDKR was an action movie throughout, just like Batman Begins.
Old 07-23-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a ridiculous stretch to believe, within the universe Nolan created, that a magic doctor-punch and a couple months of primitive 'rehab' healed Bruce to the point that he could walk, let alone climb out of the well jail. It's even more ridiculous to think Bane planned it that way.
Bane didn't plan for him to actually escape...just for him to have the false hope of escape.

Bane's torture of Bruce was supposed to be watching the citizens of the city tear each other apart thinking they can save themselves at the expense of others, while he can do nothing but lay there. This is explicitly explained, and the villains did a piss poor job executing it. It was implied they were going to pit the wealthy against the poor and leave one bridge open with the military guarding it, so that the government would be forced to gun down fleeing citizens. Instead, all that either got cut or never happened.
Each of these did happen on screen albeit in flashes.

The implication was extremely strong, with Bruce leaving the goodies to Blake and the repaired bat signal as a means to call him. Regardless, by the time Bruce was Blake's age, he'd been training for years, with at least one extremely talented fighter who submitted him to a brutal regimen. Unless Batman starts using guns, I can't see Blake having much of a chance.
I inferred that the repaired Bat Signal was simply a message for Gordon that Bruce was alive...not something to be used right away.
Old 07-23-12, 11:30 AM

Since everyone is posting their favorite nit-picks, here's mine:

The way they tried to fake the doctor's death in the plane crash at the beginning would have never worked. From what I could see, Bane appeared to be forcing some blood from the scientist into some random dead body they brought on board the plane.

In plane crashes, typically bone or teeth are the samples of choice for DNA identification because the rest of the body is so damaged. And even if blood was going be used it is collected directly from the chambers of the heart and the method employed in the movie wouldn’t have gotten it to the heart of a dead body. Also they would have had to replace all of the dead guy’s blood with the other guy’s or the DNA types would just have been an obvious mixture of two people.

This is a very minor nit-pick but I do DNA testing for a living so it annoyed me. But I still loved the movie and hope to see it again this week, this time in IMAX.
Old 07-23-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I guess, in your opinion, instilling hope in people is completely unimportant.

That one Captain (who ended up dying anyway), and I'm willing to be many of the officers, would never have returned...and certainly wouldn't have fought as hard as they did had they not seen that symbol. Not to mention that the people fighting with him was what even gave Batman time to fight Bane and then deal with the bomb.
I get what the movie was trying to do with the symbol. I just think it's funny that Batman took time out of a busy save people schedule to do this. But you've over explained it so it's not funny to me anymore. I now abhor it. ARE YOU HAPPY?!?!(Jules pushes everything off his desk, waves his arms wildly in the air and runs around in a circle.)
Old 07-23-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
TDK was a crime drama, albeit a very good one, punctuated by 3 action scenes (the police van, the finale with Joker and Hong Kong).

TDKR was an action movie throughout, just like Batman Begins.
There was also the opening sequence (both the robbery and the parking garage), the fundraiser sequence, and the interrogation/Joker in jail sequence (comparable in length the Catwoman stuff).

Plus, the police van part is so long and involved that it feels like a ton happens there.
Old 07-23-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another plot contrivance - in the Bane/Talia prison flashbacks, ALL of the prisons wear head coverings. In the current prison scenes, NONE do. Now either prison fashion has changed for some weird reason, or it was simply so that we wouldn't recognize Tom Hardy as the protector and figure out the plot before the reveal. Kinda weak.
Old 07-23-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And people keep saying there are no memorable lines in TDKR? Enough with the Joker fanboyism. There are tons.

Spoiler:
"Speak of the Devil..."

"And he shall appear."

"You're evil..."

"A necessary evil."

In addition to the others that I've already mentioned.

Spoiler:
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it—I didn’t see the light until I was already a man. By then, it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me"
Old 07-23-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Another plot contrivance - in the Bane/Talia prison flashbacks, ALL of the prisons wear head coverings. In the current prison scenes, NONE do. Now either prison fashion has changed for some weird reason, or it was simply so that we wouldn't recognize Tom Hardy as the protector and figure out the plot before the reveal. Kinda weak.
Or the fact that it was 20-25 years prior.
Old 07-23-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-23-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I thought it was because there was some type of plague going around at the time. The guy telling the story to Bruce explains this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.