Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I think it was Bruce setting up all the events:

The necklace for Alfred.
The signal for Gordon.
Autopilot for Lucius.
Batcave for Blake.
Necklace was for Kyle. Alfred got the house and the happiness he always wanted for Bruce.
Old 07-22-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
There are other things about Talia that stand out on repeated viewings, like how she convinces Fox to activate the reactor by pretending to be concerned about the board member who is going to be shot.
Couple more:

She tells Gordon to out the tracker on the wrong truck. So when they try to chase it down later Gordon goes to the wrong one first. Plus, right after they tag the truck they get captured and taken to court. All Talia's doing.

Also it is right after the Special Service men meet with Talia and Fox they get killed.
Old 07-22-12, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
2. I thought that he spent an awful lot of time rigging that up
They've spent literally three movies hammering home the point that Batman is as much a symbol to inspire Gotham as he is a "hero". Setting that symbol up to let everyone know he was back was just as important (if not more so, since the knowledge that he was back inspired the police force to fight back) as him actually being there, especially since he needed to spread the word that he was back quickly, since the bomb would've gone off the very next day.

The complaints about the bat-symbol are the complaints I just do not get. They show a fundamental misunderstanding of what Bruce believes Batman to be, and of the main theme that the movies have consistently pointed out.

It's crystal clear why he had to do something like that.
Old 07-22-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Necklace was for Kyle. Alfred got the house and the happiness he always wanted for Bruce.
Yeah, but I meant that Alfred was able to track the necklace (at least I believe that's what he did), finding Bruce and Selina, thus all four people at his funeral were given something to indicate he is alive (or that the legacy will continue).

Although from the situation on screen it did look like a happy coincidence that they were at the same place. Then again, we know what Gordon said about those...

Last edited by bluetoast; 07-22-12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-22-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Well, certainly neck and neck with ROTK for being the best 'part 3' of any series. Just when it looked like things were going to be rather conventional and a bit underwhelming, the twist hits and I loved every minute of it after. Couldn't have been happier with how it ended.

Like others have said, the only real downside is that we're probably not getting more of these. The logistics of productions this big going past three is still pretty unheard of, I think Nolan knew it..and he gave us two epic sequels rather than just 2hr cookie-cutter films with one or two villains.
Old 07-22-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
They've spent literally three movies hammering home the point that Batman is as much a symbol to inspire Gotham as he is a "hero". Setting that symbol up to let everyone know he was back was just as important (if not more so, since the knowledge that he was back inspired the police force to fight back) as him actually being there, especially since he needed to spread the word that he was back quickly, since the bomb would've gone off the very next day.

The complaints about the bat-symbol are the complaints I just do not get. They show a fundamental misunderstanding of what Bruce believes Batman to be, and of the main theme that the movies have consistently pointed out.

The whole city will be vaporized but I need to waste time letting the people of Gotham know that I'll be there for them.
-a stupid Batman
Old 07-22-12, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

So why don't you help explain and discuss?
Old 07-22-12, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
The whole city will be vaporized but I need to waste time letting the people of Gotham know that I'll be there for them.
-a stupid Batman
I guess, in your opinion, instilling hope in people is completely unimportant.

That one Captain (who ended up dying anyway), and I'm willing to be many of the officers, would never have returned...and certainly wouldn't have fought as hard as they did had they not seen that symbol. Not to mention that the people fighting with him was what even gave Batman time to fight Bane and then deal with the bomb.

Originally Posted by The Cow
So why don't you help explain and discuss?
I already did, for some reason, in quoting my post you seem to have purposefully deleted that argument.
Old 07-22-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty much all my criticism of the movie has been said by others and most of it applies to all 3 films in the series anyway. Sloppy writing, inept action sequences, contempt for the source material, Nolan's apparent fear of entertaining his audience, A-list actors phoning it in etc.

The one mind-blowingly-hilarious "I can't believe people think this guy deserves an Oscar!" moment?

The montage where a scene of carnage plays out in silence with a solemn vocal performance serves as the soundtrack. In this case it was The Star Spangled Banner but it's usually Amazing Grace and it's such a tired trope that it's even been parodied, most memorably in "The Sarah Silverman Program."

It's so embarrassing that I think Nolan should be permanently banned from ever receiving a nomination in any category by AMPAS.
Old 07-22-12, 09:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Couple more:

She tells Gordon to out the tracker on the wrong truck. So when they try to chase it down later Gordon goes to the wrong one first. Plus, right after they tag the truck they get captured and taken to court. All Talia's doing.

Also it is right after the Special Service men meet with Talia and Fox they get killed.
I figured out the wrong truck, but didn't think of the special forces guys. There are probably a few more.
Old 07-22-12, 09:25 PM

Yeah, but I meant that Alfred was able to track the necklace (at least I believe that's what he did), finding Bruce and Selina, thus all four people at his funeral were given something to indicate he is alive (or that the legacy will continue).

Although from the situation on screen it did look like a happy coincidence that they were at the same place. Then again, we know what Gordon said about those...
No, Alfred didn't track them with the necklace. Earlier in the film, Alfred tells Bruce about going on vacation to the same place every year and going to the same cafe. He said that whenever he was there, during the period that Bruce was missing, he had a fantasy that he'd see him there and know, without speaking, that he was happy. At the end of the film, Bruce made that happen. The entire scene was beat for beat a recreation of the fantasy scene Alfred talks about earlier in the film.
Old 07-22-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Pretty much all my criticism of the movie has been said by others and most of it applies to all 3 films in the series anyway. Sloppy writing, inept action sequences, contempt for the source material, Nolan's apparent fear of entertaining his audience, A-list actors phoning it in etc.

The one mind-blowingly-hilarious "I can't believe people think this guy deserves an Oscar!" moment?

The montage where a scene of carnage plays out in silence with a solemn vocal performance serves as the soundtrack. In this case it was The Star Spangled Banner but it's usually Amazing Grace and it's such a tired trope that it's even been parodied, most memorably in "The Sarah Silverman Program."

It's so embarrassing that I think Nolan should be permanently banned from ever receiving a nomination in any category by AMPAS.
There's having an opinion. There's being contrary and going against popular opinion. And then there's just stupidity. Comparing anything about Christopher Nolan to anything about Sarah Silverman is laughable at best.

Say what you want about all 3 Batmans but to imply that at no point were any of the 3 of them entertaining is asinine. I'm the furthest thing from a fanboy but I, and most of the movie going public, was greatly entertained by all 3. Congrats on being part of the 1%.
Old 07-22-12, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

I already did, for some reason, in quoting my post you seem to have purposefully deleted that argument.
My apologies, I read your post too quickly, no purpose intended.
Old 07-22-12, 09:36 PM
Banned

Wow. You are the definition of a troll.

It was subtle in the the other threads (calling BB a "bomb"), but I see you decided to just let loose when people started saying good things about the films again.
Old 07-22-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched The Dark Knight Rises again, and I enjoyed it more the second time around. If I had to vote again, I might bump my rating up to 3.5 (whereas I gave it 3 stars before). I still think this film is the weakest of the trilogy, but it is definitely entertaining and poignant.
Old 07-22-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First of all, I clearly said it WASN'T a bomb. I clearly said it was a disappointment without being a bomb. Glitter was a bomb. Gigli was a bomb. Batman Begins wasn't a bomb but it still struggled to do the business TDK and TDKR will do in a couple weeks in its entire theatrical run.

Secondly, I think it's hilarious when ignorant fanboys bash Sarah Silverman when she's respected and praised as a comic's comic. I guess the people who don't respect that know comedy better than Louis CK, Conan O'Brien etc. And the parody in question doesn't even feature her, it's from a Brian/Steve B-plot from her brilliant TV show.

The episode is called "Not Without My Daughter" and everyone with NetFlix can watch it for free and see how Nolan is resorting to hackery that was being mocked 5 years ago. Watch that scene and tell me I'm "trolling."
Old 07-22-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First of all, I clearly said it WASN'T a bomb. I clearly said it was a disappointment without being a bomb. Glitter was a bomb. Gigli was a bomb. Batman Begins wasn't a bomb but it still struggled to do the business TDK and TDKR will do in a couple weeks in its entire theatrical run.

Secondly, I think it's hilarious when ignorant fanboys bash Sarah Silverman when she's respected and praised as a comic's comic. I guess the people who don't respect that know comedy better than Louis CK, Conan O'Brien etc. And the parody in question doesn't even feature her, it's from a Brian/Steve B-plot from her brilliant TV show.

The episode is called "Not Without My Daughter" and everyone with NetFlix can watch it for free and see how Nolan is resorting to hackery that was being mocked 5 years ago. Watch that scene and tell me I'm "trolling."
I never knew Sarah Silverman fanboys existed. What planet is this?
Old 07-22-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I never knew Sarah Silverman fanboys existed. What planet is this?
Yet you stubbornly refuse to even consider that the scene in question is hilariously and pathetically similar.

Like I said, Netflix it.
Old 07-22-12, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sarah Silverman is hilarious. However that has nothing to do with the quality of TDKR.
Old 07-22-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

why would he need to track it? Alfred told Bruce where he was every year and what he was doing. not that hard for him to show up on the day Alfred was there.
Old 07-22-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Sarah Silverman is hilarious.
Thank you. And this very site gave the recent Shout Factory complete-series release of The Sarah Silverman Program a glowing review.

So far none of the Nolan fanboys has the guts to watch it and admit that there's a cliche moment of hackery in one of his movies.
Old 07-22-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

And yet you keep watching ALL of Nolan's films. You're a glutton for punishment.
Old 07-22-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
And yet you keep watching ALL of Nolan's films. You're a glutton for punishment.
Guilty. I've even watched the truly-awful "Following."

I will cop to kinda liking "Memento" though but I literally have to wait like 5 years between viewings because it pretty much falls apart when you know all the twists and turns. It's kind ironic that I have to forget the "secrets" to enjoy it.
Old 07-22-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

You know why it "struggled?" Two words: Batman and Robin. People weren't sure what to expect. By the time Dark Knight came around, it was on.
Old 07-22-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

What are you babbling about here?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.