Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Never noticed it but...I guess Ultron has "teeth" now. Uhhh...ok.
Old 02-03-15, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was Vision ever really a big deal to anyone? Granted I read comics in the mid 80s to early 90s and he just seemed like any other "B" level Avenger (like Wasp, Antman, Mockingbird, etc.). Reading this thread, people seem to think he is the shit. Did he become more involved post 1991 and his star has risen since?
Old 02-03-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

^ I asked about him before as well and no one really answered.
Old 02-03-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

I was never a huge Avengers fan as a kid, but I think Vision is pretty well considered by most fans to be one of the "core" Avengers. I've always thought of him as sort of the Martian Manhunter of the Avengers. In other words, he doesn't have the star power of a Captain America/Thor/Iron Man (Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman in Manhunter's case), but it wouldn't be the Avengers without him. There are some pretty classic stories that revolve around him.
Old 02-03-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I've always thought of Vision as sort of the glue member of the Avengers. Kind of like Martian Manhunter in the JLA. He wasn't the flashiest member, but he was always there. Being green and phasing through stuff.
Old 02-03-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I was never a huge Avengers fan as a kid, but I think Vision is pretty well considered by most fans to be one of the "core" Avengers. I've always thought of him as sort of the Martian Manhunter of the Avengers. In other words, he doesn't have the star power of a Captain America/Thor/Iron Man (Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman in Manhunter's case), but it wouldn't be the Avengers without him. There are some pretty classic stories that revolve around him.
Crap, I started typing mine, got a phone call, finished and didn't check. Great minds.
Old 02-03-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My perception of Vision is largely tied to the arcade game Captain America and the Avengers.

America still needs your help!
Old 02-03-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
My perception of Vision is largely tied to the arcade game Captain America and the Avengers.

America still needs your help!
I still have that game for Genesis. Had a lot of fun with it as a kid, I should play it again for nostalgia sake.
Old 02-03-15, 11:59 AM
Banned

Fuck. I LOVED that game. OBSESSED with it on the Genesis. I really wished they would have ported that over to the more recent consoles.
Old 02-03-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

I LOVED that game! I loved it when I first played it in the arcade and I played the heck out of it on the Genesis. As an 11 year old, I was convinced that Iron Man's boot jets allowed him to jump higher that the other characters, and that doing Vision's phase defense continuously would allow you to just go through the game and never take a hit. Also, the voice samples from that game will be etched in my brain for all time. The Mandarin's "see my power!" will always be my favorite, and every time I read the name 'Hawkeye' I always hear it in my head the way it's said when you picked him at the character select (which of course was a very rare occurrence as he was by far the worst character in the game).
Old 02-03-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will be the one escaping!

I wish the Sega Spider-Man arcade game would have gotten a home release. I loved that one so much, but didn't see it as often as X-Men. This was different from the Genesis game, you could play as Spidey, Hawkeye, Black Cat or Namor.
Old 02-03-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Wait, Vision is a hero, and not a villain? So they're adding three new heroes to this movie?
Old 02-03-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Yes, Vision is a hero. Yes, there are 3 new heroes in this movie, though I would expect the twins (and possibly Vision too, as he is a creation of Ultron) to start the movie as enemies.
Old 02-03-15, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Wait, Vision is a hero, and not a villain? So they're adding three new heroes to this movie?
Seriously or is this a joke?
Old 02-03-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
Seriously or is this a joke?
I've made no secret of my comic book ignorance(outside of Batman). I don't know why I assumed Vision was a villain, I guess I looked him up and thought he looked menacing, or just assumed that the film wouldn't possibly introduce 3 heroes and just 1 villain.
Old 02-03-15, 02:19 PM
Banned

Well the movie isn't introducing three new heroes really.

Spoiler:
The JARVIS AI becomes Vision. So we have already seen him in the Iron Man movies. He was just a bodiless AI then.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are twins and therefore have the same backstory. So introduce one and you've technically introduced both since they are a package deal.

So I doubt it will be as much of a clusterfuck as you are thinking. It's not going to be like a Spider-Man movie with too many characters introduced all at once.
Old 02-03-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't really expecting a clusterfuck or anything, but the last movie was all ready pushing it with Hawkeye being lame and underdeveloped, so perhaps they should tread carefully. Not sure if I agree about the twin thing being a package deal, are they pretty much the same character, or are they individuals personality-wise?
Old 02-03-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The addition of all the new characters kind of worry me too, but it helps a lot that all the other characters are already established and the rumors of how both Ultron and Vision come to play seem fairly simple without much explanation necessary. I'm more curious how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch play out.
Old 02-03-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Well, MM was at least a founding member and in most JL incarnations, which is why they said he's the heart and soul of the team. Vision is similar to him, though, in that his identity is tied to the Avengers. MM has had solo books before but he's mainly a JLeaguer. Vision hasn't really stood alone outside of some form of Avengers, similar to Scarlet Witch (before M day, at least), Giant Man, the Wasp, Wonder Man, (until recently) Hawkeye, etc.

That video game version was the all white version, right?
Old 02-03-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm in the process of reading the Comic from the beginning from the GIT set I bought a couple years ago. I finally just got to the first Vision stories (#57-58). His induction into the team is pretty lame.
He first appears as a servant to and created by Ultron ( who himself was just introduced in the prior issues). And for some reason that I've already forgotten he switches allegiances and helps them defeat Ultron. Then almost immediately he is voted into the Avengers. No one ever voices the thought that maybe this was all a ruse to get him closer to the team when their guard is let down.
It isn't- but the swiftness with which an enemy is adopted into the ranks is ...annoying.

Visually though, I've always liked the character.The green and yellow is a nice dynamic contrast to to all the red and blue all over the place. And where the others are always arguing amongst themselves (often in a contrived way), the Vision stands to the side as an unflappable Spock-like voice of reason.

It will be fun to see him on film.
Old 02-03-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The addition of all the new characters kind of worry me too, but it helps a lot that all the other characters are already established and the rumors of how both Ultron and Vision come to play seem fairly simple without much explanation necessary. I'm more curious how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch play out.
I think it'll be okay to be honest. My guess is that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both going to start out as villains. Vision is kind of a natural progression of the storyline from what it sounds like so I think that character will be fine too.
Old 02-03-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think it'll be okay to be honest. My guess is that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both going to start out as villains. Vision is kind of a natural progression of the storyline from what it sounds like so I think that character will be fine too.
Nope. It's already pretty well established that they're prisoners of Baron Strucker and the first action scene of the movie will be the Avengers taking him out (being one of the last vestiges of Hydra), and freeing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. During the celebration of their victory, Ultron attacks.
Old 02-03-15, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
Nope. It's already pretty well established that they're prisoners of Baron Strucker and the first action scene of the movie will be the Avengers taking him out (being one of the last vestiges of Hydra), and freeing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. During the celebration of their victory, Ultron attacks.
The celebration is the scene with
Spoiler:
Everyone trying to lift Mjolnir, and Cap does slightly budge it, right? I don't recall seeing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in that scene.
Old 02-03-15, 06:20 PM
Banned

yeah. that scene is early. We see the twins with Ultron in the trailer.
Old 02-03-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I'm in the process of reading the Comic from the beginning from the GIT set I bought a couple years ago. I finally just got to the first Vision stories (#57-58). His induction into the team is pretty lame.
He first appears as a servant to and created by Ultron ( who himself was just introduced in the prior issues). And for some reason that I've already forgotten he switches allegiances and helps them defeat Ultron. Then almost immediately he is voted into the Avengers. No one ever voices the thought that maybe this was all a ruse to get him closer to the team when their guard is let down.
It isn't- but the swiftness with which an enemy is adopted into the ranks is ...annoying.

Visually though, I've always liked the character.The green and yellow is a nice dynamic contrast to to all the red and blue all over the place. And where the others are always arguing amongst themselves (often in a contrived way), the Vision stands to the side as an unflappable Spock-like voice of reason.

It will be fun to see him on film.
Par for the course for the Avengers, though. The Quicksilver/Scarlett Witch/Hawkeye lineup with Cap was basically all villains at the time (which they addressed). And they got tricked multiple times, by Swordsman and Wonderman and others, but they still let whoever into the clubhouse.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.