Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

I actually like The Vision's introduction. It's hokey now but for when it was? It was fun.
Old 02-03-15, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Major spoilers regarding the origin of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

Spoiler:

http://www.newsarama.com/23418-marve...n-prequel.html

According to that link, Marvel just released a digital comic today that acts as a prequel to the movie. In the comic, it is revealed that Baron Von Strucker used Loki's scepter to "unlock" the twins' power. "Unlocking" their power sounds very similar to the Inhumans that we saw very recently on Agents of SHIELD.
Old 02-03-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Nope. It's already pretty well established that they're prisoners of Baron Strucker and the first action scene of the movie will be the Avengers taking him out (being one of the last vestiges of Hydra), and freeing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. During the celebration of their victory, Ultron attacks.
Yeah but I think they are unaware of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, which is why those two are later recruited by Ultron.
Old 02-03-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Major spoilers regarding the origin of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

Spoiler:

http://www.newsarama.com/23418-marve...n-prequel.html

According to that link, Marvel just released a digital comic today that acts as a prequel to the movie. In the comic, it is revealed that Baron Von Strucker used Loki's scepter to "unlock" the twins' power. "Unlocking" their power sounds very similar to the Inhumans that we saw very recently on Agents of SHIELD.
Spoiler:
Although in SHIELD we see the "proper" way the power of Inhumans are unlocked through terrigen mist, right? I'd be surprised if they attribute Loki's staff as being able to do the same.

EDIT: Oops, read the full article in the link and they talk about the staff being powered by it. Blah
Old 02-03-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Par for the course for the Avengers, though. The Quicksilver/Scarlett Witch/Hawkeye lineup with Cap was basically all villains at the time (which they addressed). And they got tricked multiple times, by Swordsman and Wonderman and others, but they still let whoever into the clubhouse.
That's true. Hadn't really thought of that.
Then again, I wanted to blow through those Don Heck issues as fast as possible.
Old 02-23-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interview with Whedon about Ultron, Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch, and Pym.

http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=2017

When did you know you wanted Ultron as the villain for this movie?

Before I took the first movie. For me what was interesting is that he is this angry, and I hired the smoothest talker in Hollywood to play him. I did it on purpose. I needed a guy who can give you the Morpheus but then can just LOSE HIS SHIT. Spader’s really good at that and he’s really good at finding the darkness, but also the comedy. The comedy is always a huge thing for me. Tom Hiddleston is hilarious. Hiddleston can turn on a dime, which is my favourite thing. He can be absolutely apocalyptic and then, ‘Um, point of order?’ Ultron has the same thing. He is very different, obviously, in his rhythms and his concepts, but for me it’s a guy who’s that angry and who hates the Avengers that much and is also a robot and is therefore going to have every issue that a robot’s going to have with humanity anyway… there’s a lot to play there. For me, he’s an iconic figure.

Did you play around with his powers, and what he’s capable of?

Yeah, I did. The powers in comic books – they’re always like, ‘And then I can reverse the polarity of your ions!’ – well, we have to ground things a lot more. With Ultron, we have to make him slightly less omnipotent because he’d win. Bottom line. Also, having weaknesses and needs and foibles and alliances and actually caring what people think of him, all these things, are what make him a character and not just a tidal wave. A movie about a tidal wave can be great, but it’s different than a conflict between one side and the other.

When Ultron speaks, he has a point. He is really not on top of the fact that the point he’s making has nothing to do with the fact that he’s banoonoos. And that he hates the Avengers for bringing him into this world, and he can’t really articulate that or even understand how much he hates humanity. He thinks he all that. That guy is very fun to write. He combines all the iconic stuff. The powers he has are slightly different – he can control certain things, he’s not just firing repulsors.

And you also have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

They have an origin but it’s largely described. They’re already good to go by the time we’re up and running. You don’t want to fall into Spider-Man 3 territory – and I say that as a guy who actually thinks pretty well of that movie, there’s some great stuff in that movie – but there comes a point where you’re overloaded with frontstory, backstory, origin story and it becomes very hard to juggle. My instinct is always, ‘Don’t put in more, work with what you have.’

But I insisted on putting in more in this movie because I felt I needed more villains. I needed someone for Ultron to talk to, and I need more trouble for the Avengers. As powerful as Ultron is, if he builds more Ultrons, they’re Ultrons. There’s no reason for him to ever to talk to them because they’re him. ‘I need you to – I KNOW! I AM TOTALLY YOU! I DID IT EARLIER! I know that because I am also me.’ That’s not a good conversation. Actually, it sounded pretty good there. I think I’m onto something.

You’ve retconned Ultron’s origin. In the comics, Hank Pym – Ant-Man – creates Ultron. Here, it’s Tony and, to a lesser extent, Bruce.

Of all the heat I’ve ever taken, not having Hank Pym was one of the bigger things. But the fact of the matter was, Edgar had him first and by virtue of what Edgar was doing, there was no way for me to use him in this. I also thought it was a bridge too far. Ultron needs to be the brainchild of the Avengers, and in the world of the Avengers and the MCU, Tony Stark is that guy. Banner has elements of that guy – we don’t really think of him as being as irresponsible as Tony Stark, but the motherfucker tested gamma radiation on himself, with really terrible, way-worse-than-Tony-Stark results.

It didn’t make sense to introduce a third scientist, a third sciencetician, to do that. It was hard for me, because I grew up on the comics, to dump that, but at the end of the day, it’s a more interesting relationship between Tony and Ultron if Tony was once like, ‘You know what would be a really great idea?’ They’re doing what they always do – which is jump in headfirst, and then go, ‘Sorry, world!’ But you have to make it their responsibility without just making it their fault.
Old 02-23-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Yes, more up and running and less handholding of origins. And a great reason to include them, to flesh out the villain.

Also, movie Tony Stark (and modern age comic book Tony Stark) are actually perfect for creating Ultron... perfect blend of arrogance, AI knowledge and super science. Though it does take away one of the two defining moments of Hank Pym's somewhat lackluster superhero career (both negative).
Old 02-23-15, 08:00 PM
Banned

Yeah. Kind of sad how Pym has 2 great moments in his life. One isn't as bad other but damnit... he slapped Janet once and it just went to shit for him.

I am glad we got Vision though... that's going to be fucking exciting and I'm glad they're holding off on him in trailers. Cuz he's going to be badass.
Old 02-24-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-24-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Horrible photoshopping of Robert Downey, Jr's head notwithstanding, it's a decent poster.

Interesting that Evans is billed a tad low. I wonder how much Ruffalo is pulling in from this one.

I also see that Hayley Atwell is listed. I hope she gets more than just a cameo this time around. Would love a flashback with her and the Howling Commandos.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-24-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I see Vision.
Old 02-24-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Poor Ruffalo, he'll never make the poster.
Old 02-24-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

I also see that Hayley Atwell is listed. I hope she gets more than just a cameo this time around. Would love a flashback with her and the Howling Commandos.
That's a smart move that would get people buying the first season of her show and watching the 2nd season which would premier in the fall after Av2.

I'm hearing that the post-credits tag will be
Spoiler:
Spider-Man
Old 02-24-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a smart move that would get people buying the first season of her show and watching the 2nd season which would premier in the fall after Av2.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man
Old 02-24-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Idris Elba is gonna have more screentime than Andy Serkis? And I didn't know Anthony Mackie would be in this.
Old 02-24-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Idris Elba is gonna have more screentime than Andy Serkis? And I didn't know Anthony Mackie would be in this.
Serkis may well be an uncredited cameo. Not necessarily an issue of screen time.
Old 02-24-15, 04:10 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Serkis may well be an uncredited cameo. Not necessarily an issue of screen time.
is it still a cameo if he's already been in the trailers?
Old 02-24-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
is it still a cameo if he's already been in the trailers?
Cameo, bit part, call it what you will. In the end of the day, he probably has little to nothing to do. Maybe appear during an opening action sequence to set up where they'll get more Vibranium.
Old 02-24-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Spider-Man
Not just him alone. Here's leaked pic from the post-credits stinger.

Spoiler:
Old 02-24-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the MCU movie posters just suck. So creatively bankrupt. I guess it doesn't really matter as the movies still pull in bank.

I think Chris Hemsworth has a really good agent. He got promoted to second billing. He also originally got $10M more for The Huntsman than Charlize Theron, who has an Oscar.
Old 02-24-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Defiant1
All the MCU movie posters just suck. So creatively bankrupt. I guess it doesn't really matter as the movies still pull in bank.
Too true.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I think Chris Hemsworth has a really good agent. He got promoted to second billing. He also originally got $10M more for The Huntsman than Charlize Theron, who has an Oscar.
So does Mark Ruffalo. They both leapfrogged over Chris Evans. Though, Hemsworth clearly has the better agent.
Old 02-24-15, 06:51 PM
Banned

Now if only they could match that with quality scripting for Thor.

I've always hated how they photoshop Downey Jr's head in there. Always looks awkward. The BD cover looked bad too.
Old 02-24-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

At least Cap is front and center in the poster with Iron Man, if not slightly in front of him. All of Marvel's posters seem similar to me, I still don't really get why folks raved about the Guardians one (which we discussed heavily back then)).
Old 02-24-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Movie posters in general are pretty crappy now days so its kind of whatever to me I guess. I actually don't think the ones for The Avengers or Age of Ultron are that bad for just being ensemble posters. The films are great so I could really care less about the posters.
Old 02-24-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
At least Cap is front and center in the poster with Iron Man, if not slightly in front of him. All of Marvel's posters seem similar to me, I still don't really get why folks raved about the Guardians one (which we discussed heavily back then)).
Didn't know people raved about that poster. It looked as shitty as all the other MCU posters.

But, as Defiant1 said, "it doesn't really matter as the movies still pull in bank." When your movies are licenses to print money, no sense to waste any on a talented graphic designer when an intern can shit out a poster for free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.