Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
So what kind of trailers did everyone get? I was quite disappointed that I didn't get either Star Wars or Bats v. Supes. I got this lovely lineup:

Ant-Man
San Andreas
Pixels
The Gift
I got Ant Man, Batman vs. Superman, Pixels, Dope (odd thing to put with a superhero flick), Fantastic Four, Jurassic World. No Bond, no Mad Max, no Star Wars (thank God, I'm seeing that one everywhere)
Old 05-06-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alamo Drafthouse:
Clue quote-a-long
The Connection
Tomorrowland
Ant-Man

They also showed a video from India that culminated in a really bad CGI Hulk fighting a guy in a rocket launching, chain-gun equipped rickshaw.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Most of the critiques I've seen is that for all the references to the red in her ledger, her crisis isn't that she used to be a bloodthirsty assassin, her crisis is that she can't be a mom.
Interesting.
Spoiler:
My wife (also unable to have kids) and I really thought that was Banner's crisis, not Nat's, and that her feelings of being a monster and the red in her ledger referred to everything she underwent and was forced to do by the Red Room, of which being forcibly sterilized was only a part. Especially given the context of her appearance in Winter Soldier.
Old 05-06-15, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
That's what I thought that she meant as well. Being sterilized was just the final component, she was saying that she was basically turned into a soulless killing machine who's job was to do nasty black ops missions and other dirty work.
Old 05-06-15, 09:00 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I saw it again, and the trailers were all specific to the theatre chain itself. It's an independent theatre chain, however.
Old 05-06-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the critiques I've seen is that for all the references to the red in her ledger, her crisis isn't that she used to be a bloodthirsty assassin, her crisis is that she can't be a mom.
Right, but the "red in her ledger" comments are constant across multiple movies, whereas, unless I'm wrong, this is her first complaint about not being able to have any kids. And it was in direct response to Bruce stating that he couldn't father kids. Do his comments not count somehow?

In any case, the argument that Joss Whedon is a misogynist is pretty weak anyways. He's consistently written strong female characters and usually when he plays into a trope, it's for effect. I would argue that nothing that he's written is misogynistic as Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey.
Old 05-06-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Regarding Black Widow, in the comics
Spoiler:
she develops a mission of trying to right wrongs she created as an assassin by doing favors for her previous victims (or their relatives); working off a list
Maybe the ledger was a reference to that...
Old 05-06-15, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stp115
Right, but the "red in her ledger" comments are constant across multiple movies, whereas, unless I'm wrong, this is her first complaint about not being able to have any kids. And it was in direct response to Bruce stating that he couldn't father kids. Do his comments not count somehow?

In any case, the argument that Joss Whedon is a misogynist is pretty weak anyways. He's consistently written strong female characters and usually when he plays into a trope, it's for effect. I would argue that nothing that he's written is misogynistic as Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey.
I also don't think Whedon is a misogynist, but I do think that emphasizing Widow's inability to have children (coupled with comments like "I'm always picking up after you boys" and the infantilization of The Hulk) shifted her character from the red in her ledger toward something else. It's an odd move considering that they spent all the previous movies emphasizing her past as a killer.
Old 05-06-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

As for trailers, I saw a 2D version at my local Cinemark and didn't get Star Wars OR (surprisingly) Ant Man.

We did get:

Masterminds
Tomorrowland
The Last Witch Hunter
Old 05-06-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just write Black Widow out of the next movie. No female characters until fans can behave
Old 05-06-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Thematically it makes sense for a desensitized assassin to fall in love with an embodiment of rage; sort of a visual representation of emotionless killing finding over-exaggerated emotion. Black Widow
Spoiler:
being sterile
didn't seem to fit in with the tone of the rest of the movie.
Old 05-06-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also don't think Whedon is a misogynist, but I do think that emphasizing Widow's inability to have children (coupled with comments like "I'm always picking up after you boys" and the infantilization of The Hulk) shifted her character from the red in her ledger toward something else. It's an odd move considering that they spent all the previous movies emphasizing her past as a killer.
I'm saying this as a person who recognizes that reasonable people can disagree. So only in my head am I saying that you are wrongwrongwrong.

It seems to me that they have been for a long time setting up Cap as the dad and BW as the mom. She is a badass. That being said, they have been downplaying her badass skills of late.
Old 05-06-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by stp115
It seems to me that they have been for a long time setting up Cap as the dad and BW as the mom. She is a badass. That being said, they have been downplaying her badass skills of late.
How so? She kicked nine kinds of ass in Winter Soldier and more than held her own in Ultron too.
Old 05-06-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
How so? She kicked nine kinds of ass in Winter Soldier and more than held her own in Ultron too.
Well in Avengers she went from tied up in a chair to kicking multiple people's asses. In Winter Soldier, she was actually holding up the action at times (first fight). In Ultron, she held her own, but certainly didn't have any standout fight scenes that I can think of. Like I said, I think that she has the #2 leadership role in the team, but she's on par with Hawkeye in terms of abilities, not Thor.
Old 05-06-15, 10:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I went and watched this. Loved it!!!!!!
Old 05-10-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Medieval Avengers

Old 05-10-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tbryson880
So I went and watched this. Loved it!!!!!!

I was waiting for your review. Thanks!
Old 06-27-15, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avengers of Oz: Age of Tin Man

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LeZ_F1op9N8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>