Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by jjcool
So that means it is valid on any of the many more regular showings, though, right? And they have always said that it is only for regular showings.

Yes. For now. Millions of others are on the 1 movie a day plan, as I assume you are.

Fandango doesn't list any theaters in or near Macomb. Closest one in Moviefone is 35 miles away. Which Moviepass works at. Second closest is 36 miles away and also takes Moviepass. Are there just no theaters closer to macomb?

Yes I remember seeing Red Sparrow. With Moviepass. The vast majority of users did not have any issue seeing that movie with Moviepass.

10 theaters. They removed 10 theaters temporarily. 1 each in 10 different very large cities. Which means there were still plenty of other theaters in each of those 10 cities that took moviepass to use it at.

You certainly can.
Thank you. You saved me a lot of typing.
Old 04-26-18, 09:58 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Is MoviePass crying uncle?

The subscription service famous for supplying a movie ticket per day for just $9.95 a month hasn’t been offering that wildly popular package since April 13, when it decided to slash it to just four tickets a month.

The new offering, which also includes iHeartRadio All Access (normally $9.99 a month), is being called a “promotion” and is temporary, though in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe said he doesn’t know if the flagship, ticket-a-day product will ever return.

“Do you think you will go back to a movie a day?” THR asked Lowe at CinemaCon in Las Vegas late Wednesday. “I don’t know,” he responded.

Certainly, MoviePass has been known to offer bundled promotions before — one that included streaming service Fandor, for example, cost just $7.95 monthly — but such promotions had always featured the full MoviePass experience, which for years has been one ticket per day.

As recently as a few months ago, Lowe told THR there were no plans to water down the service, so his remarks Wednesday night represent a potential departure in his thinking. If the per-day service does not return, it would represent a victory of sorts for the skeptics who predicted the business model was unsustainable.

Since MoviePass lowered its subscription fee from a high of $50 a month to just $9.95 back in August, it quickly swelled from 20,000 users to more than 2 million, prompting Ted Farnsworth, the CEO of parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics, to call it “the fastest growing company in the history of the Internet.”

A month ago, MoviePass was saying it would boast 5 million users by the end of the year, though it's now unclear if that goal is attainable if the ticket-per-day policy is not reinstalled for new subscribers.

Farnsworth and Lowe both say that 88 percent of MoviePass subscribers see fewer than two movies per month, so restricting the service to four tickets per month will only impact 12 percent of its users. Apparently, that may be enough to dissuade the company from reinitiating its ticket-a-day offering.

For months, Lowe has maintained that MoviePass could be profitable — even though it pays full price for 94 percent of the movie tickets its subscribers use — because it would strike deals for kickbacks on the tickets and concessions purchased, and it would push restaurant coupons to users, market films for studios and sell user data. His acknowledgment Wednesday indicates that profitability might be harder to come by if MoviePass keeps shelling out about $8.97 per ticket and allows users 30 tickets a month.

“We just always try different things,” Lowe said. “Every time we try a new promotion, we never put a deadline on it.”

Assuming MoviePass sticks with four tickets per month, it will find it has competition in Sinemia, a new service that gives subscribers two tickets a month for for $9.99 but, unlike MoviePass, it allows for seat reservations and 3D and Imax movies.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ce-one-1106014
Old 04-26-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm confused, are current unlimited members going to stay unlimited? Or are we all going to be downgraded to 4 movies a month?
Old 04-26-18, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I'm confused, are current unlimited members going to stay unlimited? Or are we all going to be downgraded to 4 movies a month?
It’s possible after a year they can change the structure.
Old 04-26-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If MP decides to stay with the 4 movies per month plan, my guess is that people who already paid for the full year will be allowed to stay on the plan for that term, but they will be downgraded if they choose to renew.

I can't help but wonder if they will come up with some kind of "deluxe" plan that offers more movies per month and maybe some other premium options at a higher price point.
Old 04-26-18, 04:22 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I do.
...Tina?!
Old 04-26-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
So that means it is valid on any of the many more regular showings, though, right? And they have always said that it is only for regular showings.

Yes. For now. Millions of others are on the 1 movie a day plan, as I assume you are.

Fandango doesn't list any theaters in or near Macomb. Closest one in Moviefone is 35 miles away. Which Moviepass works at. Second closest is 36 miles away and also takes Moviepass. Are there just no theaters closer to macomb?

Yes I remember seeing Red Sparrow. With Moviepass. The vast majority of users did not have any issue seeing that movie with Moviepass.

10 theaters. They removed 10 theaters temporarily. 1 each in 10 different very large cities. Which means there were still plenty of other theaters in each of those 10 cities that took moviepass to use it at.

You certainly can.
Originally Posted by RoboDad
Thank you. You saved me a lot of typing.
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I provided factual instances backing up my statements and you provided this:

I still like you guys.
Old 04-26-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It’s possible after a year they can change the structure.
It's possible they could change the structure any given day.

As Robodad said, folks who paid for a year of service may be able to provide some push back, but I'm betting the TOS on those plans also allow MP to change the terms at any time if they decide to.

I'll also agree with Robodad -- IF MoviePass survives long enough to find any sort of continuous financial stability AND/OR manages to get exhibitors on board with some sort of revenue sharing, we'll eventually see some sort of deluxe plan for 3D, IMAX, etc.
Old 04-26-18, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It's possible they could change the structure any given day.

Folks who paid for a year of service may be able to provide some push back, but I'm betting the TOS on those plans also allow MP to change the terms at any time.
When they started the 9.99 unlimited plan they guaranteed that for a year didn’t they?
Old 04-26-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope.
Old 04-26-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

When they started the 9.99 unlimited plan they guaranteed that for a year didn’t they?
That's what I remember, but shrug.
Old 04-26-18, 10:08 PM

“According to an email sent to existing subscribers, the price is guaranteed for at least 12 months.”
Old 04-27-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

“According to an email sent to existing subscribers, the price is guaranteed for at least 12 months.”
Well you sign up though, you agree to a TOS that says they have the right to change the terms of service at any time. They got their bases covered, but it would be bad business to screw customers that way. I'm thinking I need to just get on the ball and watch a ton of movies while it lasts. So far, I've only seen 7 movies for my $100.
Old 04-27-18, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I'm thinking I need to just get on the ball and watch a ton of movies while it lasts. So far, I've only seen 7 movies for my $100.
Geez... I've seen like 45 for $60.
Old 04-27-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well you sign up though, you agree to a TOS that says they have the right to change the terms of service at any time. They got their bases covered, but it would be bad business to screw customers that way. I'm thinking I need to just get on the ball and watch a ton of movies while it lasts. So far, I've only seen 7 movies for my $100.
They could (and might) change the TOS for monthly subscribers, but for people who entered into a contract for a year, it might be a bit trickier. Regardless of any such disclaimers, they could end up with a lawsuit on their hands if they change the TOS of a contract mid-year without offering a refund option.
Old 04-27-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got the email saying I need to take a pic of my ticket, 44 movies later.
Old 04-27-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Same just got that too.
Old 04-27-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, but don't worry. It is really painless. I have not had any issues with the process.
Old 04-27-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah Im cool with it. Anything to keep this going
Old 04-27-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Just got the email saying I need to take a pic of my ticket, 44 movies later.
Got it as well. I'm wondering if people have been using it to check in for one movie, then pay for the ticket to another movie that is't covered (something in 3-D, in a deluxe theatre, etc.). Or just use it at concessions after buying the ticket for a movie that isn't covered. I have no problem with taking a pic and sending it back.
Old 04-27-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

If they get to the point where they can't keep up with the money they're bleeding, if the choice is screwing customers over or being able to pay the CEO I think we know which option they'll take.

They are already changing their TOS. You can no longer see the same movie more than once, the (updated) app will block you:

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-...than-once-now-

Why can't I see the same movie more than once now?

We recently updated our Terms of Service to reflect that MoviePass subscribers are only permitted to see a select movie in theaters once with your MoviePass. We hope this will encourage you to see new movies and enjoy something different!
I have no idea what blockbuster just released that would prompt them to do this...

Last edited by fujishig; 04-27-18 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well shit. There goes my IW plans.

When I look at whats playing it shows "You've already seen this movie"

Old 04-27-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I have MoviePass and Sinemia, so that's at least 2 for me.
Old 04-27-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I preordered last night tix, so I at least have the 1 MP to use now.
Old 04-27-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

That's an IW Spoiler and you just posted it in the MoviePass thread. Might want to delete that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.