Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Question for those that have had the card for a bit. Do they not let you use it for anything other than a regular price ticket? For example, a local theater is showing Close Encounters for the 40th, as well as the Inhumans Imax deal. Neither shows up in the app. Both of these would be upcharged tickets.
My understanding is you buy your ticket with the MP card. Could you check in for another movie and use it to buy a ticket to a different movie? Does it work like that?
Old 09-06-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Question for those that have had the card for a bit. Do they not let you use it for anything other than a regular price ticket? For example, a local theater is showing Close Encounters for the 40th, as well as the Inhumans Imax deal. Neither shows up in the app. Both of these would be upcharged tickets.
My understanding is you buy your ticket with the MP card. Could you check in for another movie and use it to buy a ticket to a different movie? Does it work like that?
This is against the TOS, and is why in the past they made people take pictures of their tickets. I think part of it is that they can't really sell your data if your data is incorrect.

I'm not sure how they catch you, but as good as this deal is and as much money as they're already losing on it, I'd prefer to play within the rules if possible. But people are already starting to come up with all kinds of scams (like getting tickets just for points).
Old 09-06-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

MoviePass doesn't have any way of knowing what you're buying. If you spend the right dollar amount in the right place, you're golden. I used it to see Inhumans in IMAX last weekend, though if you want to do that, you might have to do it before this weekend, as most theaters are replacing it with IT this weekend.

What I did for that was that I attended the first show of the morning, but I checked in for an evening showing of a different movie. The cost of the evening show was more than the cost of the morning IMAX ticket, so it covered the whole amount. Technically I did not spend the right amount, but I doubt that you'll ever be questioned about spending less than the price of a ticket (it was less than 1 dollar difference). I also did this two days in a row so that I could bring my daughter (the first day I bought an advance ticket for the next morning).

If you want to buy a ticket that costs more than the regular ticket though, just be prepared with the exact amount of the upcharge in cash, and hand them the cash first, telling them you want to pay the rest with a credit card. I've successfully attended 3D, IMAX, and Fathom Events shows using this method.

This last one I haven't done recently, but I suppose that I could again now that they are no longer requiring ticket stubs, but I used to check in for evening shows, and then buy two morning tickets instead (two morning tickets were the same price as one evening ticket). Sometimes I would buy the tickets in advance and do this 2 or 3 nights in a row so that I could take my whole family.

I've never been busted for any of that.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 09-06-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is against the TOS, and is why in the past they made people take pictures of their tickets. I think part of it is that they can't really sell your data if your data is incorrect.

I'm not sure how they catch you, but as good as this deal is and as much money as they're already losing on it, I'd prefer to play within the rules if possible. But people are already starting to come up with all kinds of scams (like getting tickets just for points).
That's why I was asking. I am new to the program, and am just trying to figure out how it works. From what I have been able to glean from the thread, there should be no way for them to tell if you buy a ticket for the movie that you say you are going to buy a ticket for. I assumed that this was probably against some rule somewhere and definitely against the spirit of the program. I also assumed that there is some upper limit to how much they will pay for each ticket. Which makes me wonder why Imax and other "special" showings are not included rather than giving us the option to pay the difference ourselves.

Edited to add: Upon reading further, it looks like they load on the exact amount that the ticket will cost at the theater selected to the card, so there is no set "upper" limit across the board.
Old 09-06-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, there's no upper limit, it's whatever the cost is of a normal ticket. I just assumed they didn't include the special showings because generally they're more expensive and they would bleed money more quickly.

They used to have variable pricing, depending on how much tickets cost in the area, which is why I never really looked into it before now. They obviously don't anymore, and in the interview the CEO even said that they need a lot of people in the midwest (for instance) to go to movies to average out the ones who go on the generally more expensive coasts.
Old 09-06-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Has anyone successfully contacted MoviePass?

We signed up and have our cards, but haven't been to a movie yet (crazy busy lately). Our closest theater is an NCG theater in a mall that recently underwent a name change, and the app still shows the old name. It sees the theater, but never populates showtimes. Our next closest theater comes and goes on the app. I wrote NCG and they said other locations take Moviepass, so it's on their end.

I've tweeted them, emailed them and used the apps message function, and not gotten a response.

Anyone else seeing some theaters work and others not? Or works sometimes but not others?
Old 09-06-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Close encounters was $5 for yesterday ($5 Tuesday) why wouldn't moviepass honor that showings?
Old 09-07-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I've tweeted them, emailed them and used the apps message function, and not gotten a response.

Anyone else seeing some theaters work and others not? Or works sometimes but not others?

It looks like Dan answered your questions, before you asked them.

Originally Posted by Dan
The app is just weird. I read the company has NINE employees. NINE. So things are going to change VERY slowly...
Old 09-07-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-07-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got an email from them. Essentially saying the same thing as the previous email, which I didn't receive. Now they say a "2-3 week delay" with no dates listed.
Old 09-07-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

2-3 week delay for what, your card? When did you order? Does your app say shipped?

People have said that before this rush, they were quick to respond/refund tickets that you purchased out of pocket when their app screwed up. Now the app seems to screw up all the time and I can't imagine the wait on a response if you actually pay out of pocket.

oh, it's this email which I haven't received yet:

"To the MoviePass Community,

We've been blown away with all of the excitement surrounding our new $9.95 unlimited plan. Though we anticipated a high level of interest, we received an unprecedented volume of traffic. Our customer service team is working to respond to your questions and concerns as soon as possible.

Though our processing facility has increased production, there is currently a 2-3 week delay in card delivery. We greatly appreciate your patience as we work to process your requests. Please note that your first month of service will not begin until your card arrives or you visit an e-ticketing theater. To meet this demand, our production facility has rapidly increased capacity. We sincerely apologize for the delay.

E-Ticketing

In some markets, we have partners who allow for e-ticketing. You can attend those theaters now without waiting for the card. E-ticketing theaters can be identified through the app by a red ticket icon. Reserved seating is shown with a red seat icon.

For your convenience, here are some resources that can help you find additional information you may need. The FAQ's should provide answers to all of your questions and the theater map allows you to search for supported locations in your area. Our customer service team is working around the clock to respond to your additional questions.

FAQ's: https://moviepass.zendesk.com/
At this point they may go under before I even get my card. I wonder if I can get the 10 bucks they charged on day one back if that happens.

Last edited by fujishig; 09-07-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
2-3 week delay for what, your card? When did you order? Does your app say shipped?

People have said that before this rush, they were quick to respond/refund tickets that you purchased out of pocket when their app screwed up. Now the app seems to screw up all the time and I can't imagine the wait on a response if you actually pay out of pocket.

oh, it's this email which I haven't received yet:

At this point they may go under before I even get my card. I wonder if I can get the 10 bucks they charged on day one back if that happens.
2-3 week delay for a card. My card shows as shipped in the app. I ordered on the 24th, so I am sitting at exactly two weeks now. I know there are others out there that ordered before I did and have not yet received their cards.

I too am mildly concerned about them going under before I am able to get any value out of the $10 I spent. But, in the end, it is only $10.
Old 09-07-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Long time customer here.

I sent them an email on 8/15 asking about the problem with e-ticketing at MJR theaters (in the android app, the seating chart does not display correctly, the seats are all out of order, which makes it difficult to choose your seat, especially if you're trying to sit next to someone else.) This issue has been ongoing since last April. At first they denied there was any issue, I guess because it didn't occur to them that anyone could be using the Android app (I guess iPhone is fine). Anyway they had promised me back in April that it would be fixed in the next update, and in the meantime if I wanted to call them, they would activate my card for check ins so that I could buy my tickets the old fashioned way. Fast forward 4 months, and there has been no change, though there have been a couple of updates to the app. Of course, the date that I sent this latest email was also the same date that they launched the 9.95 price point, though I was not aware of that at the time I sent the email. I still have no response other than the automated one that said that they got it. Of course I can't call them up and check in the old fashioned way anymore, because all of their phone calls go straight to a recording that advises you to use chat or email.

I also emailed them on 8/18 because the app would not respond, and I had to buy my ticket out of pocket. Sent them pictures of my stub and receipt. This email has also not been responded to by a human, and no refund has been issued to my card.

I've checked in several times since then without problem (other than the seating chart problem at MJR) so I've gotten my 10 dollars worth and then some for this month, but I'd still like some kind of response.
Old 09-07-17, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently servers are down or something right now, people seem to be having problems getting any kind of non eticket movietimes from the app.
Old 09-07-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

The app shows shipped for me. I'd have opportunity to use it if it came in the next day or two.
Old 09-07-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Close encounters was $5 for yesterday ($5 Tuesday) why wouldn't moviepass honor that showings?
There have always been some special engagements that are excluded from the program. It's always been willy nilly which ones they exclude. (Ie fathom events are always excluded) If it's blacked out on the app or not showing at all, then they consider it a premium showing like a 3d or Imax film and exclude it.
Old 09-08-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So just checked the app and It: The IMAX 2D Experience is listed with all the other regular movies at the local theater. With three selectable showtimes for today.
Old 09-08-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Going on 3 weeks, still no card. If they charge me again before I've had my first month of use, I'm just going to cancel...
Old 09-08-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine today, so there's hope for the others that ordered in the first 24-48 hours.
Old 09-08-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
The app shows shipped for me. I'd have opportunity to use it if it came in the next day or two.
Where do you go on the app to find out if it's shipped or not? The only thing I can see on mine is that I have a card number, but it only gives me the last four numbers.
Old 09-08-17, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Where do you go on the app to find out if it's shipped or not? The only thing I can see on mine is that I have a card number, but it only gives me the last four numbers.
That is the same place. Mine was showing "shipped" for about a week, now it shows the last digits of the card number. (and I don't have my card yet)
Old 09-08-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
Under profile, there's the option for MoviePass Card. I believe mine showed the same as yours, then at one point changed to shipped (that's still what it says at this very moment).

Edit: Based on The Cow's response above, it's difficult for any of us to tell what's going on. Hope it's soon for you both.
Old 09-09-17, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Finally got my card today (I ordered day of the $9.99 announcement) and used it to see IT at an AMC. No issues, worked like a charm.
Old 09-10-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My card arrived today as well. I was ready to pull the plug on them next week.
Old 09-10-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Going on 3 weeks, still no card. If they charge me again before I've had my first month of use, I'm just going to cancel...
I canceled mine within the app, but there was no verification that it took, and no email sent saying it was canceled. It just sat there like I hadn't even done anything. If they charge me again, especially considering the apparent non-responsiveness of their customer service, I'm gonna be pissed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.