Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Dear Loyal MoviePass Customers,

We know you are as excited about MoviePass as us! We want to ensure that you continue to enjoy the same great benefits as before, so we have undertaken a new marketing strategy. In an effort to provide quality customer service and maintain the value of MoviePass, we have recently made moves to position MoviePass as “the best kept secret in show businesss”. For this reason, you may notice that we are no longer advertising on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange. This move will remove distractions and allow us to focus on our loyal customers and our core business models, including producing our own blockbusters such as our new Al Pacino film!

We still invite you to expand on your MoviePass enthusiasm and join the proud ranks of MoviePass shareholders. Our shares provide a great value and can be purchased over the counter at most Dollar General stores or through offers that will be sent to random fax machines.

Again, we are still here and still taking you to all the movies you want to see whenever you want to see them with no restrictions.

Begging you to keep sending in money,

The MoviePass Marketing Team (aka, Mitch Lowe contemplating hooking a garden hose hooked to my car exhaust)

You know what? I really thought that that was a real email from them. It definitely is more plausible than the email from the dog.
Old 02-14-19, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I loved going to 2-3 movies per week during the prime MoviePass months.
Old 02-17-19, 05:35 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Cancelled my subscription this morning... three weeks before my renewal date.

18 movies in one year for $85... it was a good run.
Old 02-28-19, 08:30 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

MoviePass is stuck on the same 7 movies for the next 6 days... looks like my card ain’t gonna be used this weekend.

I’m happy that is expiring soon.
Old 03-20-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

LOL! Moviepass is offering "unlimited" movies again for $9.95*
​​
​​​​​*Billed one year in advance.
*Only ACH, no credit cards.

Old 03-20-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
​​

in addition:

"MoviePass has the right to limit the selection of movies and/or the times of available movies should your individual use adversely impact MoviePass's system-wide capacity or the availability of the Service for other subscribers."

* You can only reserve tickets three hours before a movie starts
* You need to check into the theater 10-30 minutes before the movie starts

A reminder that they just revamped their plans in December, and this replaces those revamped plans.

Oh and the company was delisted, the CFO resigned, and their 3rd quarter earnings were inflated:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mo...=mw_quote_news

MoviePass parent Helios & Matheson Analytics Inc. HMNY, +3.45% disclosed Tuesday that its financial statements for quarter ended Sept. 30, 2018 "should no longer be relied upon" give accounting errors related to the overstatement of subscription revenue. As a result, the company's preliminary restated net loss for the quarter widened to $146.7 million from $137.2 million, and the restated revenue declined to $74.7 million from $81.3 million. The company said the previous results included "erroneous recognition" of about $700,000 in revenue from MoviePass subscriptions that had been terminated through refunds of subscriptions by Costco Wholesale Corp. COST, -0.16% and up to about $5.9 million in revenue from subscriptions that were in a suspended state given changes made to the service that had not yet been consented to by subscribers.
So yeah they counted costco refunded subscriptions and suspended accounts. That is a whopper of an accounting error. And there was no confidence in them before that error. But totally trust them with your bank account info.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-20-19 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 09:15 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Anybody who sticks with this is crazy.
Old 03-20-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 03-20-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used mine the other day for an IMAX screening. MP covered up to $18.70 of that ticket, so I only paid $2.50 out of pocket. And it's linked to a CC I barely use, not my bank account. I'm making this service work for me.
Old 03-20-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I used mine the other day for an IMAX screening. MP covered up to $18.70 of that ticket, so I only paid $2.50 out of pocket. And it's linked to a CC I barely use, not my bank account. I'm making this service work for me.
For now ...

Originally Posted by fujishig
in addition:

"MoviePass has the right to limit the selection of movies and/or the times of available movies should your individual use adversely impact MoviePass's system-wide capacity or the availability of the Service for other subscribers."
Adversely impacting other users ... as in “you saw a movie, so somebody else couldn’t buy that ticket — BANNED!”

Sorry, that wasn’t “an accounting error” ... that was deliberate fraud. Everybody knew they were counting those accounts (people they arbitrarily reinstated and those of us who did not accept the terms) in an effort to artificially inflate the numbers when reporting was due to shareholders. They also tried changing their reporting schedule so they wouldn’t have to report the actual number of subscribers they were hemorrhaging.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-20-19 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
​​

How is anyone still there to turn the lights on in the morning?
Old 03-21-19, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

Lights are probably not in the budget anymore. Of course, they've been operating in the dark for a while.
Old 03-21-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman

You'd be surprised how much you can get selling all that customer data and how long that keeps the lights on when you're a three man (or whatever) operation.
Old 03-21-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The fact that they can’t pay the credit card vendors, want your bank info instead and want year long commitments to this new structure shows they are desperate.

you would be a fool to commit all that money up front when they are on thin ice already and lost their NASDAQ listing.
Old 03-21-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
The fact that they can’t pay the credit card vendors, want your bank info instead and want year long commitments to this new structure shows they are desperate.

you would be a fool to commit all that money up front when they are on thin ice already and lost their NASDAQ listing.
Is it that they can't pay their credit card vendors, though? I'd think they'd be shut down if so. I thought it was mainly they didn't want to pay the credit card processing fees.

Either way, the point stands about giving them any kind of payment info.
Old 03-21-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tomato - tomato.
Old 03-21-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.slashfilm.com/preshow/

MoviePass founder is launching a new app ... watch ads and get free movie tickets. Although, the app will track your face/eyes to make sure you are actually watching.

Somebody correct me, but I believe this is one of the original founders, not the clowns running the circus now.

Still ...

Old 03-21-19, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
You'd be surprised how much you can get selling all that customer data and how long that keeps the lights on when you're a three man (or whatever) operation.
Which is what I mentioned last year. MoviePass simply became a customer data operation under the assumption that they were a ticket facilitator. Their business model was broken from the start and I still don't know why or how they are still operating.
Old 03-22-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Fool me once...

At least they were nice enough to put this up front on their main page, "Your movie choices may be restricted due to excessive individual usage which negatively impacts system-wide capacity. See Terms of Use section 2.5 for further details." So basically they could say every night is too busy to use the service. I'm sure the small print in the TOS says they have the right to change limit the service in any way too.
Old 04-18-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...00-1203192468/

Only 225K subscribers left.

Remember they reached 3M at it's all time peak.
Old 04-18-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I wonder how many of those forgot they were still subscribing.
Old 04-18-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if they made a "slight mistake" in their accounting and it's really 22.5 subscribers left.
Old 07-03-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

MoviePass to "temporarily" shut down for an indefinite period. E-mail sent to subscribers:

Old 07-03-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, sure, Mitch. I mean, it isn't like you can just send out an update to the app once it's complete...

I'm gonna say this is the end. Decent ride.
Old 07-04-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Yea, sure, Mitch. I mean, it isn't like you can just send out an update to the app once it's complete...

I'm gonna say this is the end. Decent ride.
I think it was the end about a year back when they first started making changes and limiting which movies you could see. They have been on life support ever since. I like others am surprised they have made it this long. i have AMC's service right now for $19.95. It's twice as much as Movie Pass was at their height, but it allows for the premium 3D showings and you can order tickets days or weeks in advance as opposed to the day of with Movie Pass. In the end that makes it much cheaper as you don't have to make tow drives to the theater; one to get the tickets and decent reserved seats, if you're lucky enough to still get good seats the day of the screening and one to go watch the movie. I like Regal theaters more, but AMC is only 5 miles from me as opposed to about 15 for Regal. I subscribed to their service a few months back and it is nice and convenient. I just wish there were better movies out this summer so I could get more use from it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.