Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 06-07-23, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,323 Likes on 964 Posts
Re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Got the same email. Didn't bite. Even for $10 plan. Maybe once I completely retire I'll see if it's still viable.
Old 06-07-23, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 830 Likes on 390 Posts

Still works great for me.
Old 06-07-23, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

Yeah, other than a few hiccups very early on when the app was not deducting credits properly (I think I might have ended up with some free movies), I haven't had any problems. The only downside is not being able to pre-purchase tickets.

I have noticed movie pass continuing to play around with the "cost" of movies. I haven't been tracking super closely, but it seems like the cost of weekend movies have generally gone up and weekdays have generally gone down. I usually go on weekdays, so that's worked out for me well. I saw Spider-Verse the other night. The $15 ticket only cost me 7 credits. I get 34 credits a month for $10.
Old 06-07-23, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, nice seeing some real world info on their credit system. Their website is so vague and that felt like they were hiding something. And still doesn't include premium screens?
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (06-07-23)
Old 06-07-23, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think premium screens are included, but I just checked the app and I found times available that seem to coincide with some premium showings. I've never tried to use it for one though. While it works, the app is still pretty beta-y and it does feel like kind of a shot in the dark everytime I use it. That said, it's never failed me. I've never had the card declined.

I'll also add that looking at the app today, the prices in my neck of the woods are as follows:

Before 12p - 10 credits
12p to 4p - 12 credits
After 4p - 15 credits

So as you can see, the price changes by the day and time. The 7 credit ticket I got was a Monday night and it seemed like all Monday shows, regardless of time, were 7 credits. I think weekend shows were in the 20-30 range last I checked, but I don't usually go on weekends and you can only see prices for the current day. It's a bit of a numbers game if you want to maximize value, but for my theater going habits (mostly weeknights, some weekdays) it works great.
TomOpus (06-07-23)
Old 06-07-23, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish they could explain it like that. I don't think there was an app back when we all jumped onboard. Do you get the tickets through the app or you still give them the card at the box office like before? And can you use the card through a theater's website? I can't remember if I did that back then.
Old 06-07-23, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,898 Likes on 2,784 Posts

I checked my Movie Pass app today and indeed they doubled my credits for the 1 month trial. I now have 136. Now just waiting for my card.

And I checked the app and in Southern California it looks like regular showings are 18 to 30 credits. Depending on times.
Old 06-07-23, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I wish they could explain it like that. I don't think there was an app back when we all jumped onboard. Do you get the tickets through the app or you still give them the card at the box office like before? And can you use the card through a theater's website? I can't remember if I did that back then.
You have to log into a movie via the app, but you can only do so when you are physically at the theater. You can also only do it a certain amount of time before the movie starts. I don't remember what the length of time is. Something in the 30-60 minute range I think. Once you log in, you use the card to pay for your ticket. I've always used the card at the kiosk in the theater. Not sure if it will work online.
Old 06-07-23, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I remember before A List existed, AMC employees kind of frowned when you handed them a movie pass card. I recall one employee refused to accept it. So I had to use the Kiosk.
Old 06-07-23, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I remember before A List existed, AMC employees kind of frowned when you handed them a movie pass card. I recall one employee refused to accept it. So I had to use the Kiosk.
I wonder why. The money is all the same to them, right?
Old 06-07-23, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 830 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The app uses your locations services to know where you are at, and it must think you're at the theater before it will allow you to check in. It then loads money onto your card, and you are able to buy tickets.

If you're into location spoofing on your phone though, you can theoretically make it think you're at the theater to check in, and then you can theoretically buy tickets on the website.*

*It's theoretically possible that I may have done this a time or 2.
Old 06-08-23, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Just be careful skirting the rules there. Remember, it was scumbags that were skirting the rules that hastened the downfall of the original moviepass.
Old 06-08-23, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder why. The money is all the same to them, right?
I think it was because A-List was launching soon and I guess AMC really wanted nothing to do with Moviepass. A-List was not made as a reactionary thing to Moviepass. It had been in development for several years prior to it's launch.
Old 06-08-23, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,328 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Just be careful skirting the rules there. Remember, it was scumbag CEOs that were skirting the rules that hastened the downfall of the original moviepass.
Fixed. Just saying ... it wasn't the users, even the ones who abused it.
Old 06-09-23, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Got another email offering the free month. Thinking about it since it seems some have been enjoying it and I understand how it works better.
Old 06-09-23, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just to add some more data, based on what I'm seeing locally:

Yesterday's (Thursday) screenings were 12 credits before 4p and 20 credits after 4p.

Today's (Friday) are 20 credits before 4p and 30 credits after 4p. I assume Saturday will be the same.

So as you can see, going on the weekends eats up your credits quickly. Like I mentioned, I pay $10 for 34 credits. One weekend show cleans out my allotment for the month. Considering the ticket would certainly be more than $10, it's still good value, but it's not like the freewheeling old days of movie pass. Add in having to buy at the theater with no advance purchases, the positives might not outweigh the negatives for some.
TomOpus (06-09-23)
Old 06-09-23, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Fixed. Just saying ... it was the users, especially the ones who abused it.
Fixed.
The scumbags that abused certainly didn't help it. at all. They definitely hastened the demise close to the end.

Last edited by jjcool; 06-09-23 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-09-23, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Just to add some more data, based on what I'm seeing locally:
One reason why it's looks for me is that I usually go weekdays early so my credits would last longer. That's why it's been good seeing how it works.
Old 06-09-23, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 736 Posts

So no premium screens at all? Not even for higher cost of credits? Didn't they mention that that feature would come soon? I like watching the big releases on as large of a screen as I can.
Old 06-09-23, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I looked at my app and the night shows on Friday are like 60 credits

I plan to just use up these 136 credits and then cancel. At least A-List is consistently 12 movies per month all formats.
Old 06-11-23, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, here we go again. Rejoined. D/L the app. Now just gotta wait for the card. Got 68 credits. We'll see how long they last.
Old 06-11-23, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 753 Likes on 497 Posts

I tried the card for the first time today and got declined. I've had it a couple months so it has rolled over credits already. Supposedly it is activated.

I called the number on the card, and it's just a recording to tell you to use the "live chat" or to email support. I tried the live chat and the first auto response mentioned they are under high support volume, but to wait. Oddly the date on their chat bot message is 05/24/23. After a while that came back and said nobody is available in their wait time window and for me to email support. I have done that, we'll see what happens....

It also deducted credits for the movie from my account. I tried to cancel the reservation after the card was declined, but that failed.

Not a good start. I realize it's Sunday, but their support system is very shakey at best.

Edit: here's their auto-response to email

Thank you for reaching out to us! We're currently experiencing a high volume of support inquiries, so our responses may be a little more delayed than normal. We'll will be in touch as soon as possible to answer your questions. Please refrain from sending additional emails on your current thread, as this will result in your message being sent to the back of the queue.
Old 06-14-23, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

^^ Well, they emailed me finally this morning and claimed there was a "problem in the system on Sunday", and that the problem has been corrected. I tried it today on the Transformers movie and it worked just fine, no issues. They also gave me another 20 credits for the issue.

Bottom line, it took a while to hear back from customer service, but they did respond and fix the problem.
DJariya (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

My card just arrived today and I will probably try to use it this weekend to see No Hard Feelings early preview and Elemental at my local Harkins theater. I have 136 credits to play with.
Old 06-16-23, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Apparently, the issue I had Sunday was not just me. Just got this email. I wish that more of those added points would roll over into next month. Nice bonus, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.