Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
8.40%
24.37%
31.09%
25.21%
6.72%
0.84%
1.68%
0%
1.68%
0%
0%
Ready for this? Let’s not find out.
0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So... Did you like that cameo or not?
Loved it.
Old 06-03-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Loved it.
So if I didn't think X2 was any better (or any worse) than X-Men, The Last Stand, or Wolverine, would I still dig First Class?
Old 06-03-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved it. Really great writing, characters, acting was pretty good and really good action scenes and visuals.

Loved the Cameo as they were out finding other Mutants. It got a great reaction from the audience.
Old 06-03-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, I thought it was just okay. And yes, Lawrence was friggin' hot...
Old 06-03-11, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJacks
Really enjoyed it, easily my favorite of the X-Men franchise. More exciting than Singer's versions and light years smarter than Ratner's. Knows how to use adventure and when to bring out its sense of humor.

Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence is smoking as Mystique.
Yep, pretty much how I felt about the movie, too. I re-watched all the previous X-men movies this week, and this was easily the best, with 2 coming in a close second. The fanboy in me could be super picky, but I just let myself enjoy it, instead.

All the other main leads were great. And to put things in a bit of perspective - sure, January Jones isn't a very good actress. However, at least she did a better job as Emma Frost than Halle Berry (arguably a better actress) ever did portraying Storm.
Old 06-04-11, 01:22 AM

January Jones actually did a decent job in this
Old 06-04-11, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the movie was just ok; honestly, I enjoyed Thor much more as far as comic book movies this year so far.

I think I just didn't expect that First Class was going to be so serious throughout the entire movie. The other X-Men films felt like they had more lighter moments, and more "fun" action scenes whereas the backdrop that First Class is placed in with the whole nuclear war looming made it very gloomy. The first half of the movie moves along really slowly, which while does a great job establishing the characters and their motivations, I felt like it needed something other then Magento hunting around, although he definitely felt more bad ass and a bigger threat then he came off in the other movies. I also didn't feel like the ending climax, or any of the action scenes throughout; none were particularly exciting.

Some other spoilerly nitpicks.
Spoiler:

-Riptide and Azazel were cool in the battle, but did either of them have a line at all?
-I wish Emma did something a little more substantial. Didn't really care for January Jones.
-For spending most of her childhood with Xavier, Mystique sure did pick up and join Magneto pretty quickly. Especially with Xavier just having been shot and crippled
-I didn't like Moira as a CIA agent.
-Agree with Xavier touching his head every time he used his power. That got annoying.
-I did enjoy what they did with Mystique and Beast and their individual conflict with appearence.
-Enjoyed the Wolverine cameo and the Rebecca Romijn appearence, although the CG looked hokey.\
-Jennifer Lawrence was smokin'

3 1/2 stars for me. It was entertaining, but the movie just never reached the level of excitement that I was hoping for in a comic book movie.
Old 06-04-11, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
January Jones actually did a decent job in this
I totally disagree. I think she was one of the weakest elements of the movie.

I'm a little surprised to such varying opinions on this, because I loved this movie. It's not only the best X-movie by a country mile, but I think it's one of the best comic book movies to date. It's fun, has a dense story (a shit-ton happens), and a bit of gravitas to it thanks to Fassbender and McAvoy. I haven't left a movie this satisfied in a long time.

I thought the cameos were great, and respect that this film fits in context (for the most part) with the other X-men movies, but I do wish this was a true reboot in the vein of the new Spider-Man. I think this movie would have only been heightened in my eyes if they could have used a few more classic mutants, especially ones like Angel who was totally wasted in X3, and is a little clunky making things fit, but I'm cool with that.

For the life of me, I don't see how any of the other x-men movies could be preferable to this, but I've also always been a little dissatisfied with those movies -- outside of Hugh Jackman's performances, Mystique, and the dynamic between old heads Prof. X and Magneto.

I've been sold on Fassbender for awhile, but that guy is one of those actors who just elevates everything he's in. He reminds me of Liam Neeson. McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence are really good too, as is Kevin Bacon.

So good. I liked it much better than Thor, which I did enjoy.
Old 06-04-11, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
All the other main leads were great. And to put things in a bit of perspective - sure, January Jones isn't a very good actress. However, at least she did a better job as Emma Frost than Halle Berry (arguably a better actress) ever did portraying Storm.
I don't agree with this, but I can see the argument. Especially, when you factor in Frost, at least early on, is a cold calculating bitch. Whereas Storm is supposed to be a warmer character that is likeable but exudes authority. A role made for Angela Bassett, especially when she was meant to be playing second to Prof. X.

January Jones is great on Mad Men, but the more I see of her in other things, the more I realize she's great on Mad Men because that seems to be her range. She's very stiff, cold, and dry.
Old 06-04-11, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I already projected my thoughts on this but I can't say enough about McAvoy and Fassbender....they really really elevated the emotions that those two characters needed. Fassbender was really really good. Can't wait to see his next film w/ McQueen.
Old 06-04-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the theater busted up laughing with "Gentlemen, it's been an honor serving with you." Sigh, yeah it's kind of cheesy, but that was just one of many instances of people busting out and yelling at the screen. Maybe I should just go to morning shows or wait until video, cause that shiz got old fast.
Old 06-04-11, 09:38 AM
Banned

My theater didn't laugh at that. I actually expected that it would..but it didn't.
Old 06-04-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I caught it at a late afternoon show/matinee show yesterday, and the audience wasn't disrespectful at all. I think that if you want to see a movie like this opening weekend, the best showings are either a midnight one with an audience of fellow geeks who will respect the material, or late afternoon Friday/early morning Saturday before the kids and/or prime time yahoos attend.

Also, I'll also add that Jenifer Lawrence looked good, even in the blue make-up. I knew in Winter's Bone she had the potential to look good but dang... Anyone able to get a screen cap of her laying in the bed with come hither eyes yet? I doubt she'll be back if this one merits another installment, since she is now the main star of her own franchise.
Old 06-04-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Overheard in the mens room after the movie: "I thought cyclops would be in it..."
Old 06-04-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
just got back
thought it was awesome
loved the
Spoiler:
Hugh Jackman appearance

my only complaint is a minor nitpick
Spoiler:
when Mystique took on the look of kevin bacon how'd she know about the helmet?

edit: I probably should have hit the 4.5 option instead of 5 in the poll as 5 is a really strong rating, but none the less I really liked this movie

Last edited by mikehunt; 06-04-11 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
my only complaint is a minor nitpick
Spoiler:
when Mystique took on the look of kevin bacon how'd she know about the helmet?
Spoiler:
She saw him wearing it before when he attacked the complex, right? I assume that's the appearance she copied.
Old 06-04-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Spoiler:
She saw him wearing it before when he attacked the complex, right? I assume that's the appearance she copied.
doh, I had totally forgotten about that
Old 06-04-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
Overheard in the mens room after the movie: "I thought cyclops would be in it..."
Well, technically he was the first X-Men even though Prof. X started training Jean first. What I thought was really off was making Alex older than Scott. That was sort of lame. I know the X-Men movies are totally different from the comics but if they followed what they did with the previous 3 movies they should of made Alex just as young as Iceman and Angel and used some other mutant from the 60's. Even Sunfire would have worked in place of Havok.
Old 06-04-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Saw this today and came away really liking it. The x-men fan in me didn't allow me to like the previous trilogy but I felt this was much more inline with the comics.

January Jones is stunning to look at but she's just such a bad actress that it felt like I was watching Betty Draper play a super hero. Good seeing a smile on Jennifer Lawrence's face after only seeing her in Winter's Bone before.
Old 06-04-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I went to the midnight show on Thursday night with a couple friends and I really enjoyed this a lot. To me it was easily the most enjoyable of the X-Men movies. I really only liked X2 and X-Men was okay but I thought it could've been better. Origins wasn't great mostly for the fact that I think everyone was tired of Wolverine as a character and the effects were crappy. I really liked how this movie showed the origins for Xavier and Charles and focused on some of the lesser known X-Men (well at least to the casual movie goers).
Old 06-04-11, 03:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I really liked it and am already planning to go back and see it again with my wife next weekend.
Old 06-04-11, 03:30 PM
Banned

I will admit...this was the most enjoyable X film..but X2 beats it in quality. I just like First Class more.
Old 06-04-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anyone able to get a screen cap of her laying in the bed with come hither eyes yet?
And a cap right before Erik dropped the weights on her.

Please
Old 06-04-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I will admit...this was the most enjoyable X film..but X2 beats it in quality. I just like First Class more.
Pretty much how I see it. I had more fun with this one, but X2 was more engrossing, especially for X-Men fans.

This is not a photo of Ms. Lawrence before the weights were dropped on her, but she does look like she's been doing some heavy working out.

Old 06-04-11, 04:09 PM
Banned

I think for me...it was Fassbender that made so much more enjoyable. Obvious flaws and all..it was seeing him (specifically) and Charles become who they are known as that made it so much more enjoyable. I understood what made him, I sympathized w/ his anger, I understand and don't argue w/ his actions..they're "ok" cuz of what he is. I knew of his emotions but seeing Fassbender go thought them just made it sooo much more powerful.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.