Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
8.40%
24.37%
31.09%
25.21%
6.72%
0.84%
1.68%
0%
1.68%
0%
0%
Ready for this? Let’s not find out.
0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Old 06-03-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
His tone is pretty neutral on this one from what I can tell. He thought it was reasonably well put together but nothing exceptional with some occasional cheese. Considering he's seen pretty much every super hero movie there is to see as part of his job, it's got to be tiresome (I haven't seen them all and I'm getting sick of the genre). He does bemoan that quality actors are only seen as "viable stars" in Hollywood after doing a movie like this, but it doesn't seem to effect the rest of the review.

As a movie it sounds better than Last Stand and Wolverine, but not up to par with X2 which was also not overly exceptional but easily the best in this series.

Roger Ebert Scores for Comic book flicks:
Spoiler:

The Spirit: 1 out of 4
Kick-ass: 1 out of 4 (largely due to the violence against hit-girl)
Thor: 1 1/2 out of 4
Elektra: 1 1/2 out of 4
300: 2 out of 4
Batman: 2 out of 4
Batman Returns: 2 out of 4
Spider-man 3: 2 out of 4
Superman Returns: 2 out of 4
X-men Wolverine: 2 out of 4
X-men: 2 1/2 out of 4
X-men: First Class: 2 1/2 out of 4
Spider-man: 2 1/2 out of 4
The Incredible Hulk: 2 1/2 out of 4
X2: 3 out of 4
X-men The Last Stand: 3 out of 4
Blade: 3 out of 4
Daredevil: 3 out of 4
Hulk: 3 out of 4
Hellboy: 3 1/2 out of 4
Hellboy 2: 3 1/2 out of 4
Spider-man 2: 4 out of 4
Batman Begins: 4 out of 4
The Dark Knight: 4 out of 4
Iron Man: 4 out of 4
Sin City: 4 out of 4
Watchmen: 4 out of 4
Superman: 4 out of 4
Superman II: 4 out of 4

I agree with most of those though I didn't care for the Hellboy movies so much, especially #2.
I somewhat agree. However, the ones he is rating high are also the ones almost everyone else gushed over as well, so nothing really unique.
Old 06-03-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I somewhat agree. However, the ones he is rating high are also the ones almost everyone else gushed over as well, so nothing really unique.
There's a reason why everyone else gushed over them, they are simply the better made movies. Fans tend to ignore a lot of flaws based on fanservice content alone, conversely they'll ignore strengths if it strays from source material. Ebert is judging the movie as a movie.
Old 06-03-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

His tone is pretty neutral on this one from what I can tell. He thought it was reasonably well put together but nothing exceptional with some occasional cheese. Considering he's seen pretty much every super hero movie there is to see as part of his job, it's got to be tiresome (I haven't seen them all and I'm getting sick of the genre). He does bemoan that quality actors are only seen as "viable stars" in Hollywood after doing a movie like this, but it doesn't seem to effect the rest of the review.

As a movie it sounds better than Last Stand and Wolverine, but not up to par with X2 which was also not overly exceptional but easily the best in this series.

Roger Ebert Scores for Comic book flicks:
Spoiler:

The Spirit: 1 out of 4
Kick-ass: 1 out of 4 (largely due to the violence against hit-girl)
Thor: 1 1/2 out of 4
Elektra: 1 1/2 out of 4
300: 2 out of 4
Batman: 2 out of 4
Batman Returns: 2 out of 4
Spider-man 3: 2 out of 4
Superman Returns: 2 out of 4
X-men Wolverine: 2 out of 4
X-men: 2 1/2 out of 4
X-men: First Class: 2 1/2 out of 4
Spider-man: 2 1/2 out of 4
The Incredible Hulk: 2 1/2 out of 4
X2: 3 out of 4
X-men The Last Stand: 3 out of 4
Blade: 3 out of 4
Daredevil: 3 out of 4
Hulk: 3 out of 4
Hellboy: 3 1/2 out of 4
Hellboy 2: 3 1/2 out of 4
Spider-man 2: 4 out of 4
Batman Begins: 4 out of 4
The Dark Knight: 4 out of 4
Iron Man: 4 out of 4
Sin City: 4 out of 4
Watchmen: 4 out of 4
Superman: 4 out of 4
Superman II: 4 out of 4

I agree with most of those though I didn't care for the Hellboy movies so much, especially #2.
So X-Men 3 was his highest rated? Maybe we shouldn't take his advice on X-Men movies anymore.
Old 06-03-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a reason why everyone else gushed over them, they are simply the better made movies. Fans tend to ignore a lot of flaws based on fanservice content alone, conversely they'll ignore strengths if it strays from source material. Ebert is judging the movie as a movie.

That's actually the way I judge comic book movies as well. I tend to know a lot about the source material for each one as I am a geek. However, I always ask myself if such a movie would have entertained me if I were not a fan of the source material. If it would have, then I think it was a good movie that was well made. If I have to be a fan of the source to get any enjoyment (like Watchmen IMO), then I will say it is a good movie IMO, but not well made. If it bombs out on both levels (Ghost Rider, Spirit, DareDevil Theatrical), then it's truly bad!
Old 06-03-11, 02:41 PM
Banned

I think of it in 3 parts. I'm an comic fan. I'm a movie goer. I'm also someone educated in film and filmmaking.

As a comic book fan?
For the most part yeah...interesting adaptation. I enjoyed it.

As a movie goer?
I enjoyed it for the most part..did have some cheese at times.

As someone who knows films and is able to critique it as a standalone project?
It's a film w/ great promise that has great startings of Grade A moments that at times fall quickly to ok/mediore.

McAvoy and Fassbender were solid, Byrne did good too. Story in theory sounds great. Visual design was neat. Music was solid at times but also to generic standards when used. Effects were mostly solid but could've been better polished. The emotions in the film could be felt but again...they sometimes go too far and it hits the cheese factor. A lot of stuff was just too much of the same. Does Xavier really need to touch his all the time?! He did more than 8 times at least.

I felt inklings of that Erik and Charles appreciation. I think their separation could've been in another movie. It just didn't feel stronger. The characters had the emotion for it but the story didn't give it time grow better. A lot of the characters were not very useful....barely if at all had a personality..they were just bodies. The Angel character was interesting but put into action she mattered oh so little in what she did and it didn't feel right. The actress for that was just hitting what was needed. The rest of the actors did fine, sometimes it was too little to do w/ the characters. Dialogue at times again...was hitting good solid moments ONLY to be taken down by some clunky predictable words. This film's worst enemy was the script. Direction was fine for the most part it was just the script that didn't further what elevation in the story could be done.

Too much was being done to be part of the continuity that was already there. It's too obvious. This should've been it's own beast to grow and evolve well. The cameo was fun but unnecessary. The 3rd act feels great and it gets you excited but once again that elevation to great work is brought down by generic execution from dialogue or action.

Is this a good movie? Yes, far from great though. Well most people enjoy this? Yes.

Probably....a B. Has A+ elements B level story handling and flaws.
Old 06-03-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
So X-Men 3 was his highest rated? Maybe we shouldn't take his advice on X-Men movies anymore.
X2 and X-men 3 both got 3 out of 4 ratings. I agree with his complaints on X2 and can see where he's coming from on X-men 3.

As a fan though, X-men 3 was just terrible.
Old 06-03-11, 03:10 PM
Banned

X2 and X-men 3 both got 3 out of 4 ratings. I agree with his complaints on X2 and can see where he's coming from on X-men 3.

As a fan though, X-men 3 was just terrible.
I think that's a general thought for the most part. As a fan, it was horrid. Film was too stupid and messy direction.
Old 06-03-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was great -- filled in a lot of the blanks much like the Star Wars prequels did, only better. McAvoy's performance teetered on an Austin Powers impression at times. January Jones is unbelievably gorgeous, and an unbelievably bad actress. And there is a cameo in the movie that is awesome. I'm not going to even spoilerize it so as not to tempt anyone, you just have to see it.
Old 06-03-11, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
I thought it was great -- filled in a lot of the blanks much like the Star Wars prequels did, only better. McAvoy's performance teetered on an Austin Powers impression at times. January Jones is unbelievably gorgeous, and an unbelievably bad actress. And there is a cameo in the movie that is awesome. I'm not going to even spoilerize it so as not to tempt anyone, you just have to see it.
that's a shitty way of putting it. It could've been done much better.
Old 06-03-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
that's a shitty way of putting it. It could've been done much better.
You talking about me or the movie?

The cameo was fun but unnecessary.
Couldn't you say that about any cameo? They really don't add a lot.
Old 06-03-11, 03:58 PM
Banned

The movie

...some aren't fun..but yes..in my recent memory a cameo is worthless. It was funny, I'll admit but again...too much about their hopes for retaining a continuity which hampers the film as a whole.
Old 06-03-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was great - not perfect but I liked it. Fassbender and McAvoy were brilliant and when they are onscreen, the movie is dynamite. I just wish it had slowed down a bit to give us more time with them together, recruiting more mutants, instead of breezing through a LOT of that stuff. Kevin Bacon made for a good villain and I've had a crush on Rose Byrne for years, so I loved her. Jennifer Lawrence was beautiful and did a decent job with Mystique, the main weak spot of the movie being January Jones, who sucks complete balls. A few of the story beats don't quite work for me and the cuban missile crisis plot didn't engage me that much, but everything with Charles & Erik = WIN. I would definitely like to see Vaughn take another shot at the series with these leads. 4/5
Old 06-03-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie

...some aren't fun..but yes..in my recent memory a cameo is worthless. It was funny, I'll admit but again...too much about their hopes for retaining a continuity which hampers the film as a whole.
If it's actually part of the other 3 why---

Spoiler:
did Charles lose his ability to walk because in the 3rd one he was able to which suggests he lost it later in life. Hopefully this is answered in the next one.In the comics he regained this ability and subsequently lost it again. I think more than once but my memory is sort of hazy since I haven't read X-Men since the late 90's.
Old 06-03-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember in the X-Men cartoon, it was Prof X's powers that put him in the chair. They went to an island that blocked mutant powers & he could walk around fine since his powers weren't working.
Old 06-03-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. Really liked it. If this were the first X-Men movie ever made and I had seen it when I was in prime of my reading the comic (age 16) , I would have thought this the best movie ever. It had some flaws, a bit long IMO, but the performances really carried it. One that stood out: Michael Fassbender. He pretty much embodied the bad ass, younger/trimmer Magneto I envisioned while reading the comics.

More later, but one question:

-Is it safe to assume that Bryan Singer means to invalidate X3 with this movie? That one was not written by him and was without his involvement too my knowledge. If you watch this one with the two he made, it goes rather well as a trilogy. If you include X3, it will leave you scratching your head.

EDIT: The
Spoiler:
Wolvering
cameo was brilliant.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 06-03-11 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate to nitpick about one thing, but is Sebastian Shaw supposed to be German? Let me explain: They introduced him as a Nazi (who spoke with a terrible accent (I speak German)), but later on he's speaking English with a perfect American accent...if he was German, shouldn't have he spoken English with a German accent? How did nobody think about this? Did anybody else also notice that 1944 Shaw looked alot older than 1962 Shaw? Wtf.

Finally, this is more for the comic book readers since they know his background, but Shaw was a originally a human who gained his powers through experimentation?

As for the movie itself, despite some terribly cheesy moments, I enjoyed it. It was fun...nothing more, nothing less.
Old 06-03-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if you were one of those guys who were awaiting that "X-Men Origins: Magneto" movie, this is basically it, folks! The character not only provides the bookends for this movie, but his journey (From nazi-hunter to hero to villain) is covered throughout. And as others continue to say, the film really reaches special status whenever Fassbender and McAvoy are together....And that's after Fassbender replaces Jennifer Lawrence's role (Speaking of which, I also loved those early scenes with Charles & Mystique) But the overall result, as an X-Men film, was still a joy.

My only minor nitpicks are:
1) Lack of an "Oomph" for the musical score. There's some "Rockin'" music that often pops up that works, but a lot of the music used in the climax was too generic (Felt like it belonged in those late 80's/early 90's adventure flicks) Some recognizable chords from the first two X-films would've been nice.

2) Everything looked way too contemporary for a 60's setting. Should've been more of an attempt to "Date" the film.

3) Wasn't a fan of those "Superhero name-calling" moments. Definetly on the corny side. But at least I let out a laugh for Beast's proposed name.

And what almost became a nitpick was that I thought it was a seriously brave move to introduce the training sequences so late into the film, but they still worked out just fine (The inner 11 year-old in me was jumping with joy whenever Banshee flew with his scream)

New life has definetly been breathed into this franchise! And good gawd, J-Lawrence
Old 06-03-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
I thought it was great -- filled in a lot of the blanks much like the Star Wars prequels did, only better.
Or rather fucked up what was already established.

Spoiler:
Continuity with the series

X-Men: First Class presents a few discrepancies with the previous films in the X-Men series. For example, Charles Xavier becomes paralyzed with the film taking place in 1962. In X-Men: The Last Stand, Xavier is shown walking in a flashback set twenty years before the events of the film (presumably in the 1980s). In X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which is set in 1979, Xavier can be seen walking trying to get the children off of Three Mile Island

Additionally, in First Class, Emma Frost is an adult villain in 1962, but in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, she is a teenager in 1979. Dr. Moira MacTaggert appears to be in her 30s both in First Class and The Last Stand, which takes place approximately four decades later. Beast is shown in his human form in X2, and is portrayed in his transformed state by Kelsey Grammer in X-Men: The Last Stand, but is depicted in First Class as transforming into his Beast form nearly 20 years before the events of X2. Also, in "X-Men" , Xavier describes his first meeting with Magneto as being when he was 17, but in this film shows him in his early to mid 20s.

In the first X-Men film, Professor Xavier mentions to Wolverine that the reason Magneto was able to make his helmet impervious to cerebro, was because Magneto helped Xavier to build it. However in First Class, the original prototype cerebro was built almost exclusively by Beast, with some implied help from Xavier to complete it, and while Magneto was present, there was no indictation of any involvement in the building of it. Additionally Magneto did not design or build his helmet, but rather merely took it from Sebastian Shaw.

But those are minor nitpicks.

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I hate to nitpick about one thing, but is Sebastian Shaw supposed to be German? Let me explain: They introduced him as a Nazi (who spoke with a terrible accent (I speak German)), but later on he's speaking English with a perfect American accent...if he was German, shouldn't have he spoken English with a German accent? How did nobody think about this?
Christoph Waltz is German and speaks English with an American accent. It's not unheard of.
Old 06-03-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Or rather fucked up what was already established.

Spoiler:
Continuity with the series

X-Men: First Class presents a few discrepancies with the previous films in the X-Men series. For example, Charles Xavier becomes paralyzed with the film taking place in 1962. In X-Men: The Last Stand, Xavier is shown walking in a flashback set twenty years before the events of the film (presumably in the 1980s). In X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which is set in 1979, Xavier can be seen walking trying to get the children off of Three Mile Island

Additionally, in First Class, Emma Frost is an adult villain in 1962, but in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, she is a teenager in 1979. Dr. Moira MacTaggert appears to be in her 30s both in First Class and The Last Stand, which takes place approximately four decades later. Beast is shown in his human form in X2, and is portrayed in his transformed state by Kelsey Grammer in X-Men: The Last Stand, but is depicted in First Class as transforming into his Beast form nearly 20 years before the events of X2. Also, in "X-Men" , Xavier describes his first meeting with Magneto as being when he was 17, but in this film shows him in his early to mid 20s.

In the first X-Men film, Professor Xavier mentions to Wolverine that the reason Magneto was able to make his helmet impervious to cerebro, was because Magneto helped Xavier to build it. However in First Class, the original prototype cerebro was built almost exclusively by Beast, with some implied help from Xavier to complete it, and while Magneto was present, there was no indictation of any involvement in the building of it. Additionally Magneto did not design or build his helmet, but rather merely took it from Sebastian Shaw.

But those are minor nitpicks.

Christoph Waltz is German and speaks English with an American accent. It's not unheard of.
...I think you misunderstood. If Waltz has spoken with an American accent in a movie it's because he was playing an American.
Shaw is supposed to be German (at least that's how I saw it) and should have spoken English with a German accent, not an American one.

Oh and Waltz is actually Austrian. Semantics, I know. Austria is to Germany like Canada is to the USA.
Old 06-03-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

...I think you misunderstood. If Waltz has spoken with an American accent in a movie it's because he was playing an American.
Waltz, playing a German, spoke with an American accent during the beginning of Inglorious Basterdz.

But my bad about Waltz' heritage. I didn't know he was Austrian and genuinely thought he was German.

In any case, my point is that just because a person is from a given nationality, doesn't mean they well necessarily speak with an accent stereotypical of their nationality when speaking English (or any other language).

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-03-11 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you kidding me??? He had a HEAVY accent when he spoke English in that opening scene.

I seriously can't believe you said that...you sir have no ear for accents.

My Dad was born in Germany and grew up there. He's as German as it gets. He's lived in the US for the past 28 years, only speaks German when visiting his mom in Germany once a year and has spoken English fluently since he was a teen...he still has a clear German accent.
Old 06-03-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you kidding me??? He had a HEAVY accent when he spoke English in that opening scene.

I seriously can't believe you said that...you sir have no ear for accents.

My Dad was born in Germany and grew up there. He's as German as it gets. He's lived in the US for the past 28 years, only speaks German when visiting his mom in Germany once a year and has spoken English fluently since he was a teen...he still has a clear German accent.
I remember a heavy accent during his conversation with Brad Pitt but not duirng the beginning of the movie.

But perhaps your right that I have no ear for accents. Would explain why I'm indifferent towards them (not finding them sexy or anything).
Old 06-03-11, 10:00 PM
Banned

I hate to nitpick about one thing, but is Sebastian Shaw supposed to be German? Let me explain: They introduced him as a Nazi (who spoke with a terrible accent (I speak German)), but later on he's speaking English with a perfect American accent...if he was German, shouldn't have he spoken English with a German accent? How did nobody think about this? Did anybody else also notice that 1944 Shaw looked alot older than 1962 Shaw? Wtf.

Finally, this is more for the comic book readers since they know his background, but Shaw was a originally a human who gained his powers through experimentation?

As for the movie itself, despite some terribly cheesy moments, I enjoyed it. It was fun...nothing more, nothing less.
Shaw was a mutant.
Old 06-03-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My review:

"Go fuck yourself."

3.5/5
Old 06-03-11, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
My review:

"Go fuck yourself."

3.5/5
So... Did you like that cameo or not?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.