Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elysium - Blomkamp and Copley reunite for sci-fi project

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elysium - Blomkamp and Copley reunite for sci-fi project

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Elysium - Blomkamp and Copley reunite for sci-fi project

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There was a piece on ELYSIUM in The New York Times today. Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/bu...dayspaper&_r=0

There's an interesting quote in it and perhaps an ominous harbinger of the film's boxoffice fate:

Just the thing to draw in the August crowds, right fellas?
If you couldn't get the theme from the trailers I'd ask what were you expecting?
Old 08-02-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

District 9 was similar in it's political commentary (maybe a little less overt) and made $115m US ($30m budget, $210m worldwide). It opened August 14th, 2009.
Old 08-02-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks I trust who've seen it already have not been encouraging with their opinion. As one subtly noted, "it sucks. And it sucks that it sucks." I hope he's wrong...
Old 08-02-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The reviews I've read make it sound like if you like D9 you'll probably enjoy this and if you didn't, this one has the same issues (pacing is a big one) with the addition of being unsure of what kind of movie it wants to be (heavy handed).
Old 08-02-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm fine with movies that have a strong political agenda. It's not like we're being bombarded with those types of films. I don't know why people get so upset over them. V for Vendetta comes to mind.
Old 08-02-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If you couldn't get the theme from the trailers I'd ask what were you expecting?
My point with that quote was to question the tactic of trying to draw in a blockbuster-sized audience by advertising the film as "a political statement," as the article did. That's all.

I have seen the trailer and was impressed enough to want to see it chiefly because Jodie Foster seems to have a good part in it. How often can we say that these days. I don't recall reacting to the theme at all, though.
Old 08-02-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I wonder where that puts it for those of us that didn't like D9 (which started off dull then turned into a goofy videogame, imo of course)
The reviews I've read make it sound like if you like D9 you'll probably enjoy this and if you didn't, this one has the same issues (pacing is a big one) with the addition of being unsure of what kind of movie it wants to be (heavy handed).
Crap.
Old 08-02-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie is not going to generate big BO numbers. That's been pretty obvious for awhile. Of course, that in no way has any correlation to the quality of the movie.
Old 08-02-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it'll likely follow the same trajectory as D9. Opening around $35-40M, closes with around $120M.
Old 08-02-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder where that puts it for those of us that didn't like D9 (which started off dull then turned into a goofy videogame, imo of course)
I actually thought that it started off as a reasonably interesting and intelligent Sci-Fi film before it turned into an action flick in the second half.
Old 08-02-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I really liked D9 so I am all in for this one.
Old 08-03-13, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I really loved District 9, but this film seems like a rental. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Seems like this movie is might be trying to please both crowds (viewers who want political satire and those who want a sci-fi action flick) and as a result can't 100% connect with either. The people who like satire will dislike having too much action, and vice versa.
Old 08-03-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It'll all work out if it's like D9. D9 was the perfect blend of satire/political statement and science fiction.
Old 08-03-13, 11:47 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
D9 was the perfect blend of satire/political statement and science fiction.

Old 08-08-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I just don't see any comparrison to D9 and this. D9 was unique, a little satire, a little humor, a little serious, a little documentry, a little action... least of all some hollywood social/political filled agenda.

No I haven't seen the movie but the reviews I'm seeing is it's another "Have vs Have Nots...the Social Elitists Bad Guys vs the Beaten Down Poor Good Guys" . The stark contrast of the people, surrounding, lifestyle, and looks all social and political. Even the language in the movie has political slant.

It's a shame if this is the case because this looks good ...or at least the trailers do. But Hollywood just cannot let go implementing some social, political or enviromental message being added and becoming the focal point instead of the movie itself.
Old 08-08-13, 08:57 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I just don't see any comparrison to D9 and this. D9 was unique, a little satire, a little humor, a little serious, a little documentry, a little action... least of all some hollywood social/political filled agenda.

No I haven't seen the movie but the reviews I'm seeing is it's another "Have vs Have Nots...the Social Elitists Bad Guys vs the Beaten Down Poor Good Guys" . The stark contrast of the people, surrounding, lifestyle, and looks all social and political. Even the language in the movie has political slant.

It's a shame if this is the case because this looks good ...or at least the trailers do. But Hollywood just cannot let go implementing some social, political or enviromental message being added and becoming the focal point instead of the movie itself.
Is this what film discussion has come to, pre-criticism? If you had any inkling to see this movie, just see it. I tend to avoid any film reviews because I don't want them to taint my experience.

That being said, wasn't D9 almost all social commentary?
Old 08-08-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
Is this what film discussion has come to, pre-criticism? If you had any inkling to see this movie, just see it. I tend to avoid any film reviews because I don't want them to taint my experience.

It was, there's no "almost."

D9 ruled.
Old 08-08-13, 10:01 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
i don't think the WHOLE movie was social commentary. i mean the end escape scene was almost purely action and adrenaline. no commentary to be had except a human turning prawn trying to fight off the super tough bad guy.
Old 08-08-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this had me excited but I wasn't a fan of D9 so now Im a bit apprehensive... Ill still probably check it out, just not so sure about it.
Old 08-08-13, 11:01 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this last night. It is very heavy handed:
Spoiler:
The 'bad guys' have no redeeming qualities or even defensible points of view,the good guys just want to help children etc..

But the biggest thing that sticks out in my mind is Matt Damon's character:
Spoiler:
He's horribly miscast or, the film was written with someone else in mind. Basically he grew up only speaking spanish, not being able to read etc. (last name is DeCosta!) but he's the only blonde haired blue eyed kid in Los Angeles.

Seriously I cannot remember any other 'pretty boys' in the flashbacks or even as an adult. He's the ONLY white guy -- GOOD LOOKING MUSCLEBOUND WHITE GUY in the whole slum. The thing that makes it unintentionally funny is that the nuns that raised him tell him that they believe in him, that he's SPECIAL and destined for greatness. They say this to the only blonde haired blue eyed kid in the ghetto. Great, we have racist nuns
Old 08-08-13, 11:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Saw this last night. It is very heavy handed:
Spoiler:
The 'bad guys' have no redeeming qualities or even defensible points of view,the good guys just want to help children etc..

But the biggest thing that sticks out in my mind is Matt Damon's character:
Spoiler:
He's horribly miscast or, the film was written with someone else in mind. Basically he grew up only speaking spanish, not being able to read etc. (last name is DeCosta!) but he's the only blonde haired blue eyed kid in Los Angeles.

Seriously I cannot remember any other 'pretty boys' in the flashbacks or even as an adult. He's the ONLY white guy -- GOOD LOOKING MUSCLEBOUND WHITE GUY in the whole slum. The thing that makes it unintentionally funny is that the nuns that raised him tell him that they believe in him, that he's SPECIAL and destined for greatness. They say this to the only blonde haired blue eyed kid in the ghetto. Great, we have racist nuns
tell us how you liked or disliked in the Reviews thread...