Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Guess you guys will just have to be satisfied with the 10+ other Superhero movies released every year that satisfy your desires for some dumbed down, happy and hopeful superheroes, including every single movie based on a Marvel character.
I'm confused. Your comment stems from where? I've been gone a while.
Old 07-19-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts

Guess you guys will just have to be satisfied with the 10+ other Superhero movies released every year that satisfy your desires for some dumbed down, happy and hopeful superheroes, including every single movie based on a Marvel character.
Actually, we're sick of superhero movies where the hero is dark, depressing and fighting inner-demons. What's wrong with a little hope?
Old 07-19-12, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I would pay to see a movie about that Thor.
Maybe they could get her to play Valkyrie...

Originally Posted by Obey The D
[cough] Blade [/cough]
And Punisher. He's so happy and hopeful. So are Wolverine and Ghost Rider. [/sarcasm]

Daredevil is actually a mix. In most early eras, he was pretty lighthearted. Then Frank Miller really darkened him up in the 1970s (like he would later with Batman in the 1980s). The Bendis and Brubaker eras were also really dark. I would love for Nolan to take on a Daredevil trilogy based on the Miller/Bendis/Brubaker eras.
Old 07-19-12, 02:45 PM
Banned

For sure DD works in a more "realistic" world. I hate using Nolan as an example..but..well..he is probably the best example of that. I dunno if I'd want Nolan for it but he made Batman as real as he could be w/ what one can do based on the material.
Old 07-19-12, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Actually, we're sick of superhero movies where the hero is dark, depressing and fighting inner-demons. What's wrong with a little hope?
Yeah, that one we got every 4 years was really pushing it.
Old 07-19-12, 03:01 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is tougher to pull off a goody-two shoes hero and make him cool withOUT resorting to any badboy routines, but cool only in his purely good way. I too am sick of the dark=cool, turmoil, redemption, etc. They are easy cop outs. This is why i do like Superman more than Batman. Can someone give me an example from the comics i dont have any clue at the moment.
Old 07-19-12, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That comment shows me that you haven't actually watched many of the movies based on Marvel characters.
Old 07-19-12, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That comment shows me that you haven't actually watched many of the movies based on Marvel characters.
Yeah, I've seen them all. The Marvel cinematic universe is custom made to sell toys. It's lightweight, children's entertainment.
Old 07-19-12, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Just because they're not over two hours or rated R doesn't mean they're children's entertainment. But whatever, I should know better than to feed the trolls.
Old 07-19-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Just because they're not over two hours or rated R doesn't mean they're children's entertainment. But whatever, I should know better than to feed the trolls.
Why is honest, dissenting opinion automatically considered "trolling"?
Old 07-19-12, 03:15 PM

It is only trolling if you point out how bad the Nolan Batman films are. Any other time it is called having an opinion.
Old 07-19-12, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've seen them all. The Marvel cinematic universe is custom made to sell toys. It's lightweight, children's entertainment.
Your statements don't match. Before you said there were no movies period with darker Marvel characters. Then when people point out characters like Blade, Punisher, and Wolverine you backpedal and say you meant the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which isn't the same as all Marvel movies period.

And just because its "lighter" doesn't mean its exclusively meant for kids. That's just absurd. Its meant for an audience of all ages. Thinking that something "light" is too "kiddy" is the same idiotic excuse teenagers use for not liking Nintendo. Beating a prostitute's brains in in GTA is what they think is "mature."
Old 07-19-12, 03:22 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by PatD
Why is honest, dissenting opinion automatically considered "trolling"?
"Every Marvel movie is children's entertainment" doesn't feel like honest dissent to me. Maybe if Dragon Tattoo elaborated I might change my mind about his intentions, but broad sweeping statements like that feel like trolling to me.
Old 07-19-12, 03:32 PM

There's nothing wrong with a brooding superhero--if there's real substance behind there dark persona and it's organic to the character. If it's done simply for the sake of being "edgy"--then fuck that.

Back to the "Man of Steel":

What made the Christopher Reeve portrayal so brilliant was his balance of innocence with savviness and gentleness with strength. I hope against hope that they *don't* try to and "Vin Diesel-ize" Superman for modern audiences--but, they probably will.

(Corrected)

Last edited by PatD; 07-19-12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 03:37 PM
Banned

what? Rephrase that.
Old 07-19-12, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
what? Rephrase that.
Are you referring to what I said? "Vin Diesel-ize" means turning a beloved, likeable character into a typical alpha-male asshole in order to appeal to a more jaded audience.
Old 07-19-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
Are you referring to what I said? "Vin Diesel-ize" means turning a beloved, likeable character into a typical alpha-male asshole in order to appeal to a more jaded audience.
I think what may have been confusing was the structure of this sentence fragment:

I hope against hope that they try to and "Vin Diesel-ize" Superman for modern audiences
I assumed that you meant that you hope they DON'T try to "Vin Diesel-ize" Supes.
Old 07-19-12, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I think what may have been confusing was the structure of this sentence fragment:

I assumed that you meant that you hope they DON'T try to "Vin Diesel-ize" Supes.
Oops. Corrected.
Old 07-19-12, 04:19 PM
Banned

Ok...that's what I thought.

I don't think they'll do that...but they'll give him a sense of power that Reeve's didn't have, nor did it call for it.

Again..it's w/ the whole..."how does the world react to a being like this?" type of thing. He's going to have a heart but he'll strike when a strike is needed and it'll be felt.
Old 07-19-12, 04:27 PM
Cool New Member

Here is my problem.

I love Nolan and I appreciate what he has done for the genre, but I don't want my Superman brooding. The whole purpose of him is for hope. He doesn't wear a mask, he has bright colors and he should make you happy. From what I seen in the leaked Comic-Con footage, it appears the Nolan vision is at hand and this Kal-El is more brooding and angry. Even the textured and muted color suit suggests this.

The other problem is Snyder. Can he deliver a film without crappy CG and slow-motion every scene? I enjoyed 300 for what it was and I thought Watchmen was good but flawed. However, if he leaves too much of his own mark on the film, then it will suffer. If I am watching the movie and it makes me realize I am watching a Snyder film, it fails. If on the other hand, he pulls back, matures as a director and lets the story do the work, then I think it'll be okay.
Old 07-19-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Caught Immortals on Netflix Instant Watch.
I just did the same and boy did I dodge a bullet by not blind-buying it on Blu-Ray when it came out because it was a major bore. But I do agree that Cavill seems like he will make a pretty awesome Superman.
Old 07-19-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Ok...that's what I thought.

I don't think they'll do that...but they'll give him a sense of power that Reeve's didn't have, nor did it call for it.

Again..it's w/ the whole..."how does the world react to a being like this?" type of thing. He's going to have a heart but he'll strike when a strike is needed and it'll be felt.
But if he "strikes" at the people of Earth, especially out of anger, he would cease to be Superman, and would become a villain himself.
Old 07-19-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

"Every Marvel movie is children's entertainment" doesn't feel like honest dissent to me. Maybe if Dragon Tattoo elaborated I might change my mind about his intentions, but broad sweeping statements like that feel like trolling to me.
I tried getting an elaboration from him before and I don't think he knows how to.
Old 07-19-12, 04:49 PM
En vacance

Movies where good guys were more interesting than bad guys:
Day of the Jackal (1973)
Public Enemies (2009)
Old 07-19-12, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M1000be
Here is my problem.

I love Nolan and I appreciate what he has done for the genre, but I don't want my Superman brooding. The whole purpose of him is for hope. He doesn't wear a mask, he has bright colors and he should make you happy. From what I seen in the leaked Comic-Con footage, it appears the Nolan vision is at hand and this Kal-El is more brooding and angry. Even the textured and muted color suit suggests this.

The other problem is Snyder. Can he deliver a film without crappy CG and slow-motion every scene? I enjoyed 300 for what it was and I thought Watchmen was good but flawed. However, if he leaves too much of his own mark on the film, then it will suffer. If I am watching the movie and it makes me realize I am watching a Snyder film, it fails. If on the other hand, he pulls back, matures as a director and lets the story do the work, then I think it'll be okay.
That wouldn't be Superman anymore. I don't think you've enough faith in people understanding him. I don't think he broods. I think he has to discover himself. Not exactly brooding but more an self exploration of what he himself is. Once he goes Supes, that's where I think we'll see him grow into the symbol of hope that he is.

Originally Posted by RoboDad
But if he "strikes" at the people of Earth, especially out of anger, he would cease to be Superman, and would become a villain himself.
what? Where'd you get that he'd strike at the people at Earth?

He's a man who has to hold back. He's a god essentially. A god that must control himself physically and mentally. To not be tempted by that could be. The temptation isn't there because of his family. They gave birth to the Superman persona. The ethics and understanding of morality and mortality. They made Superman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.