Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Did someone snap a pic of the poster with a cheap phone? Or is the quality really that bad. Im still pretty excited about this movie, and Cavill looks awesome and badass. But that poster is awful.
Old 12-03-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Then people would just say DC is copying Iron Man.
Unless it comes with a helmet and lets Superman shoot lasers from his hands, I doubt it would be a very big complaint.

And before you jump to the picture of the suit, it doesn't mean it has to attach to him the same way as in the comic. Just have a similar look.
Old 12-03-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic
Compared to the reeves, routh costumes it does look more alien.
Just because you say it looks more alien doesn't mean it looks more alien. It only means it looks more alien to you. I've already said it doesn't look more alien to me (or my son). To us it just looks bad, and very "un-Supes-like".
Old 12-03-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Just because you say it looks more alien doesn't mean it looks more alien. It only means it looks more alien to you. I've already said it doesn't look more alien to me (or my son). To us it just looks bad, and very "un-Supes-like".
Oh I know, I wasn't trying to convince you or tell you that your opinion was wrong. I do agree that in some part it does look like a wet suit.

My laughing smiley was for the comment your son made I found it funny.
Old 12-03-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

That's the kind of poster you use on the second or third installment of a series, not the first.
Old 12-03-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Is that supposed to make him bad ass to today's movie goers?
Quite the opposite... since when can handcuffs hold Superman?
Old 12-03-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new Superman poster AND suit look horrible. Give me Routh/Singer Supes anyday of the fucking week.
Old 12-03-12, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

speaking too early for that one, eh?

From what I saw from the trailers. At least this has a shit ton more color than SR. Goddamn was that a drab movie w/ it's color palette.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-03-12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Quite the opposite... since when can handcuffs hold Superman?
Superman is obviously going along willingly.
Old 12-03-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Goddamn was that a drab movie w/ it's color palette.
Yeah, it really was. I enjoyed it when it first came out, but haven't felt the slightest desire to revisit it again.... blu-ray's about to be traded in. Have pretty high hopes for MOS...they had the cast, time and money to make it right - it better deliver!
Old 12-03-12, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked SR when it first came out. Merely liked.

I liked it for bringing back Superman. But at the same time it brought him..to nowhere I'd care to go afterwards.

As much as I enjoy the idea of reconning 3 and 4 out of the way and continuing from 2. It was a pretty lifeless movie for the most part, filled w/ some damn fine Superman moments.

I still want to read that 14 page review that Tarantino supposedly made. Defending that it's actually a damn fine movie.
Old 12-03-12, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Superman is obviously going along willingly.
Unless they're kryptonite cuffs!
Old 12-03-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
By making him wanted by the Law like Spider-Man and Batman.
Is that supposed to make him bad ass to today's movie goers?
The producers think this will make us turn out to see this movie?
Yes.

The people have invested millions of dollars in this film and they want assurances that they're money will not be lost so they tell the studio "we want this project that we're funding to be more like those films that made those guys lots of $$$$$."

Right after The Dark Knight was a success, someone at Warner Bros was saying that this is proof that the next Superman movie needs to be darker.

So they end up aping what was done in other recent superhero films that were actually highly successful. Spider-man had a similar color scheme and that was scaley so make the costume like that.

The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were dark superhero films where the main character was wanted by the law, not completely accepted, so lets have the government against Superman.

As for the costume, I don't like the scales on the insignia, but overall it looks better than the Routh costume, and kind of cool looking. I agree that it looks somewhat more alien-like. The teaser trailer and this new poster already looks more interesting than the Routh version.
Old 12-04-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two cool things I noticed from the poster (which I like). 1) Supes has a good build, and 2) I like that he is taller than everyone else.
Old 12-04-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That poster is dull, ugly, and off-putting.

Look, the time for sad bastard superheroes on posters is over. It was over in 2006 when they had Spider-man all dressed in black looking all dour (yes, I know what that film entailed, that's irrelevant). I half-expected the next Batman flick to have our good ol' caped crusader slumped in a Chelsea bedsit with a needle in his arm.

The teaser trailer, while a better jeans ad than movie trailer, at least had that nice Rusty Crowe narration. When he said "they will join you in the sun", it sounded sincere and, while not necessarily optimistic, hopeful and reassuring.

This poster, however, is dreadful. I want a poster of Superman to look fantastic and hopeful. Show me a Superman poster where he's well-lit, flying, with light on his face and a look of determination. Show me an image that inspires and impresses. Please. Don't show me a stupid bloody picture that looks like it's from a sad, sordid sequel to Confessions of a Superhero.
Old 12-04-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the purpose of the this poster (I'm sure they'll be many more and different) is to get the general public interested. They already have the boy scout image ingrained in them so this is something new.

"Why is Superman being treated like a bad guy? Why is the army against him?"

I don't like the idea of making Superman darker but I'm intrigued by the poster, but mostly because the last reboot was such a retread of the '78 film. Plus, I think it makes sense that the government/s would be against him initially. An omnipotent alien that makes the defenses of entire nations obsolete?

I do agree that the dark emo superhero may be getting old, but I think if there's more to it than that, it will be successful. I'm expecting some really impressive action scenes like in Miracleman minus the NC-17 gore.
Old 12-04-12, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

The blue in Superman's suit is too dark for my tastes. Is it me or does the design vaguely look like something from the Thor movie?
Old 12-04-12, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its like Superman got arrested by the green army men figures.
Old 12-04-12, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The poster did what it needed to. Everyone's talking about it, everyone has an opinion, and there's no way anybody's going to be swayed into not seeing the film just because they didn't like the poster. If anything, it just draws more attention and interest to the movie. I don't mind it at all.
Old 12-04-12, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Of course it looks more alien to him. That's his fucking opinion. It's automatically implied.

Back to the discussion, I like the suit -- a welcome change from the fruity Singer/Routh abomination -- but that poster doesn't do much. It sets a tone for what the movie is supposed to be, but visually it's pretty unappealing.

"To me."
Old 12-04-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
The poster did what it needed to. Everyone's talking about it, everyone has an opinion, and there's no way anybody's going to be swayed into not seeing the film just because they didn't like the poster. If anything, it just draws more attention and interest to the movie. I don't mind it at all.
"Superman in shackles" is #6 trending on yahoo right now, so people are talking which is a good thing.
Old 12-04-12, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
Agreed. I can't believe people are making judgments about the quality of the film, the plot or how the character is handled based on a one-sheet. But I guess we have to talk about something.

I don't need another "Superman flying in the clouds" poster - I've seen that. This actually makes me think they are doing something different with the movie, which is what a boring character like Superman drastically needs.

And for the record, I enjoy the original movies as well as Superman Returns (the Returns poster where he's above the planet is hanging 5 feet away from me right now in my home theater...I love that image), but I don't need another one. I'm all for a new actor, a new suit and a new story. Hope it lives up to that.
Old 12-04-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

That chain mail suit would look great in a remake of IVANHOE or EXCALIBUR, but it looks terrible for Superman. Batman notwithstanding, a superhero suit should look sleek and light and comfortable, not something that would weigh you down. Or rust if you got it wet.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-04-12 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
...which is what a boring character like Superman drastically needs.

Saying Superman is still a boring boyscout is about as accurate as saying Batman is still like the Adam West series. Neither has been true for a very long time.
Old 12-04-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

But since he's Superman it wouldn't exactly weigh him down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.