Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Superman: The Man of Steel (D: Snyder)

Some Man of Steel memes:

Spoiler:

I don't get this one. I think that's a ship from that show right. Crab fisherman show from Discovery, yes?

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
The other video is done. Here's another of the same:

<iframe width="520" height="415" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSP49Sjj7lc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
In watching this trailer...I really like how it feels epic. And that there is power in Superman there. Like a force.

As much as I love Superman: TM and Superman II (leaning toward Donner's)....I never feel that from those, the ones after, or ever Singer's. A force in that man. I could see it in Singer's but it had no impact. Donner's is only affected by the time it was made in...so I can't blame it for that.

Is that original music or not? Really dug the way it played. Also...really dig the color palette in there. So far from the Comic Con trailer alone. It's bringing everything I want in a Supes film. A lot of drama, epicness, etc. Really want to see more of Krypton whenever we can the next time. I'd love to see what that world looks like in this film.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-24-12 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats a song from The Thin Red Line composed by Hans Zimmer
Old 07-24-12, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I disagree. Material from Krypton should have the same "molecular density" and "specific radiation" (to use the movie terms), as Kal-El, so he should be able to use them in the same way that an Earth man uses Earth steel (or whatever). Kryptonian metal (or crystal) should cut right through his Krptyonian hair. Seems a lot more plausible, and far less comical, than using heat vision.
So you're saying Kryptonian metal should absorb yellow sun radiation and gain superpowers just like a Kryptonian person? How is that any more plausible than burning your hair off with heat vision? A Kryptonian rock is just a normal rock on Krypton, but it comes to Earth and it becomes a super-rock!!
Old 07-24-12, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redrum
Thats a song from The Thin Red Line composed by Hans Zimmer
Which means it's been too long since I've seen TTRL.
Old 07-24-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Which means it's been too long since I've seen TTRL.
Yeah, and do yourself a favor and don't go back about 8 or so pages....It's definitely the last time I ever try to use reason in a superhero thread...as soon as you just mention "Williams score" that's all people see and need to say that you need to "get over it" ... actually, do go back cause it's funny how nobody reads things in full.
Old 07-24-12, 07:38 PM
Banned

I remember reading the they need the theme bit, which is bs. I'm glad this film will stand on it's own and not use it. Like I've said before...it doesn't need to be shackled to those films. Has to stand on it's own.
Old 07-24-12, 08:11 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See this is just the problem, those memes even if they aren't exactly brilliant anymore, highlight the suckyness. The movies that make it ultra-down to the earth for the origin can go SUCK OFF themselves. First of all, i understand where the guys sitting back in their chairs in the room thinking this stuff up think they are making it more legendary and epic by making him like this doing common salt of the earth stuff. Forget that is just what Lucas did with the SW Prequels, Singer did with Returns, sloowly building it like a sweeping thing. Donner did this already. It is done.
It is probably like crack for the common film writer who cannot resist self-indulging themselves. What we see is just a fisherman for a long stretch of time acting noble and stuff. It sucks.
Old 07-24-12, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I disagree. Material from Krypton should have the same "molecular density" and "specific radiation" (to use the movie terms), as Kal-El, so he should be able to use them in the same way that an Earth man uses Earth steel (or whatever). Kryptonian metal (or crystal) should cut right through his Krptyonian hair. Seems a lot more plausible, and far less comical, than using heat vision.
You've never read a comic book in your entire life, have you? It's not because of their planet that Kryptonians become Yellow Sun batteries, which is what gives them their superpowers on Earth. It's a genetic talent of the species alone, not the planet or the objects from Krypton.

And to think for all these years we've been missing out on the adventures of Fluffy, Last Chair of Krypton.
Old 07-24-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You've never read a comic book in your entire life, have you?
Not really, nope. And it doesn't matter, because we're talking about the movies. You can argue any other points over in the Comic Book Talk forum.
Old 07-25-12, 12:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You've never read a comic book in your entire life, have you? It's not because of their planet that Kryptonians become Yellow Sun batteries, which is what gives them their superpowers on Earth. It's a genetic talent of the species alone, not the planet or the objects from Krypton.

And to think for all these years we've been missing out on the adventures of Fluffy, Last Chair of Krypton.
Actually, Fluffy went on to an illustrious career as the infamous "Comfy chair" used by the Spanish Inquisition.

Old 07-25-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
As silly as burning your hair off with heat is, Kryptonian steel wouldn't break through Superman's invulnerability. Kryptonians normally are not superpowered. They are as normal as Earth people. The Kryptonian sun is red, and Kryptonians get their powers from a yellow sun, like the Earth sun. So on Krypton, nothing and nobody is superpowered. There is nothing special about Kryptonian steel.

"Realistically" the only way for Superman to shave would be to depower himself. Either by flying far enough away from the yellow Earth sun or exposing himself to red kryptonite every time he needs to shave.
I thought red kryptonite only affected his mental faculties.
Old 07-25-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Only in the Smallville universe. In the DCU, Red Kryptonite effects Superman differently each time he's exposed to it. He can get old. Grow a third eye. Become a werewolf. Etc. The effects would last 48 hours.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 07-25-12 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 04:40 AM
Banned

Well to be fair, it isn't unique just to Kryptonian people. Animals could gain superpowers from yellow sun radiation as well. Remember Krypto the Superdog, or Comet the Superhorse (who was in fact very creepy because he was in love with Supergirl). But yeah, inanimate objects like rocks, metal, and chairs aren't going to gain superpowers.

Not really, nope. And it doesn't matter, because we're talking about the movies. You can argue any other points over in the Comic Book Talk forum.
Arguments like those are silly. So you're saying that even though inanimate objects like rocks, metal, and chairs don't gain superpowers in the comics, it is okay if they do in the movies. Because hey the comics and movies are different...

It doesn't matter if it is a comic or movie. A super-powered rock is just stupid either way.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Red kryptonite has been portrayed rather inconsistently. As the previous poster said, Pre-Crisis Silver Age Superman underwent a different effect each time he was exposed to red kryptonite. Post-Crisis, the first appearance of red kryponite was in a storyarc called Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite, and in that story it took away Superman's powers temporarily. Although it was ultimately revealed to be fake kryptonite created by Mxyzptlk's magic. Red kryptonite was used later again in the Tower of Babel storyarc in JLA. This time it was created by Ra's al Ghul, and it took away Superman's powers while also causing him intense pain and making his skin turn transparent.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 07-25-12 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FRwL
See this is just the problem, those memes even if they aren't exactly brilliant anymore, highlight the suckyness. The movies that make it ultra-down to the earth for the origin can go SUCK OFF themselves. First of all, i understand where the guys sitting back in their chairs in the room thinking this stuff up think they are making it more legendary and epic by making him like this doing common salt of the earth stuff. Forget that is just what Lucas did with the SW Prequels, Singer did with Returns, sloowly building it like a sweeping thing. Donner did this already. It is done.
It is probably like crack for the common film writer who cannot resist self-indulging themselves. What we see is just a fisherman for a long stretch of time acting noble and stuff. It sucks.
I'm not sure where you're seeing that he's the salt of the earth. Seems like he wants to be as far from that as possible when he's bearded up.
Old 07-25-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if the beard is a result of his powers first manifesting and he hasn't learned how to shave it off yet. That seems like a tweak a Hollywood script would come up with for Clark Kent's development. Remember, all modern versions have eliminated his powers as a youth and any notion of a Superboy.
Old 07-25-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if the beard is a result of his powers first manifesting and he hasn't learned how to shave it off yet. That seems like a tweak a Hollywood script would come up with for Clark Kent's development. Remember, all modern versions have eliminated his powers as a youth and any notion of a Superboy.
Damnit, there's a good Katie Holmes joke in there somewhere!
Old 07-25-12, 01:34 PM
En vacance

I'm not sure where you're seeing that he's the salt of the earth. Seems like he wants to be as far from that as possible when he's bearded up.
Agreed. I'm just happy someone responses.
Old 07-25-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Agreed. I'm just happy someone responses.
Thought I'll assure secure where it doesn't as well.
Old 07-25-12, 03:55 PM
Banned

You fuck.
Old 07-25-12, 04:37 PM
En vacance

Old 07-27-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Chris Nolan has already professed how much he loved The Tree of Life. And it shows in the teaser. It wouldn't surprise me if the story was written around the same time of his viewing the Tree of Life. Because the trailer really reflects Terrence Malicks work.
Old 07-27-12, 07:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

^ yay! just what I want from a Superman flick!
Old 07-27-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
And you thought Singer's movie was boring....
Old 07-27-12, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Don't worry, I'm sure Snyder will provide enough smashy smashy scenes for you.
Old 07-27-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Chris Nolan has already professed how much he loved The Tree of Life. And it shows in the teaser. It wouldn't surprise me if the story was written around the same time of his viewing the Tree of Life. Because the trailer really reflects Terrence Malicks work.
Again, Nolan is supervising the direction and editing of this marketing piece?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.