Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name a film you disliked/hated as a kid and still do...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Name a film you disliked/hated as a kid and still do...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Name a film you disliked/hated as a kid and still do...

I have to give three:

1) A Christmas Story (worst movie evar - until Avatar came around) - glad to see I'm finally not alone.
2) A Never Ending Story
3) Clue
Old 07-07-10, 09:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Disliked Mothra vs. Godzilla as a kid. No way a moth and a couple caterpillars could last more than three seconds against the awesome Godzilla. Just watched it again and feel the same way.
Old 07-07-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for A Christmas Story
Old 07-07-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

A Christmas Story is good to sit down in the middle and watch 30-45 min, but trying to watch it from start to finish is tough.

For me it's All Dogs Go To Heaven
Old 07-07-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I have never understood the adoration this one gets

(though I wasn't "a kid" when it was released in '86, I was very immature for my age)
Old 07-07-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Good lord, Goonies, A Christmas Story and Ferris Bueller are three of my favorite quotable movies of all time. You people are crazy.

To add another, though, Wizard of Oz is mine. Hated it as a kid, avoided it growing up, tried it again in college, still hated it. Just a boring, dated, and awful movie.
Old 07-07-10, 01:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad to see that somebody else mentioned A Christmas Story first. I want to rip that movie's head off and shit down it's throat. Two hours of nails on a chalkboard would be more enjoyable, and provide more laughs.
Old 07-07-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm. Guess I should be glad that I've never seen nor heard of A Christmas Story.

I can't actually remember any movies I saw as a kid that I disliked. But I saw relatively few movies back then and the only ones I still remember well enough to have an opinion on, I liked.
Old 07-07-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Hmmm. Guess I should be glad that I've never seen nor heard of A Christmas Story.
Really? You've never heard even heard of it?
Old 07-07-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Old 07-07-10, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Disliked Mothra vs. Godzilla as a kid. No way a moth and a couple caterpillars could last more than three seconds against the awesome Godzilla. Just watched it again and feel the same way.

This.

I grew up watching those Godzilla movies every weekend on KTLA Channel 5's "Family Film Festival with Tom Hatten". That one stuck out as a crapfest then and like you, watching it again years later didn't do it any favors.
Old 07-07-10, 03:00 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Whaddaya got against Seagal? ABOVE THE LAW, ON DEADLY GROUND and UNDER SIEGE 2: DARK TERRITORY are head and tail above any Chuck Norris movies and most Van Dammes (I've got a soft spot for HARD TARGET and DOUBLE TEAM). Even EXIT WOUNDS is better than most Norris and Van Dammes. Give the brother another chance. And some of his other movies are good for laughs, esp. FIRE DOWN BELOW where he's an aikido expert EPA worker who goes "undercover" as a church handyman while wearing designer leather jackets and jeans. THE PATRIOT is pretty funny, too.
Dont forget GLIMMER MAN, the comraderie between him and Wayans was good, for example the scene in the theater when they're watching Casablanca, and then he beats the shit out of everyone in a restaurant just to get to talk to some guy inside and after literally a couple words he gets out and fights his way out of the restaurant again, and he ballbusted the bald serial killer asshole very good!
Old 07-07-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Whaddaya got against Seagal? ABOVE THE LAW, ON DEADLY GROUND and UNDER SIEGE 2: DARK TERRITORY are head and tail above any Chuck Norris movies and most Van Dammes (I've got a soft spot for HARD TARGET and DOUBLE TEAM). Even EXIT WOUNDS is better than most Norris and Van Dammes. Give the brother another chance. And some of his other movies are good for laughs, esp. FIRE DOWN BELOW where he's an aikido expert EPA worker who goes "undercover" as a church handyman while wearing designer leather jackets and jeans. THE PATRIOT is pretty funny, too.
I feel the opposite, I'll put Bloodsport over just about any other 80's/early 90's cheese action movies.
Old 07-07-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hate:
Chariots of Fire - was the only PG movie playing the day my mother took me and a few friends to the movies. Terrible. I actually lost a friend over it.

Disliked:
Temple of Doom - so disapointed in this and to this day cant get into it. Raiders is one of my all-time favorite movies and none of the sequels measure up at all but this is probably my least fave.

Empire Strikes Back - As an 8 year old Star Wars fanatic, this movie did not live up to its predecessor at all. Aside from Yoda and the sorta decent lightsaber battle at the end, it just wasn't what I was looking for in a Star Wars movie. As an adult it is still my least favorite of the 3 original movies.
Old 07-07-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Glad to see that somebody else mentioned A Christmas Story first. I want to rip that movie's head off and shit down it's throat. Two hours of nails on a chalkboard would be more enjoyable, and provide more laughs.
Ok. That made me laugh pretty hard.
Old 07-07-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Good lord, Goonies, A Christmas Story and Ferris Bueller are three of my favorite quotable movies of all time. You people are crazy.

To add another, though, Wizard of Oz is mine. Hated it as a kid, avoided it growing up, tried it again in college, still hated it. Just a boring, dated, and awful movie.
Well... speaking of crazy: Hating The Wizard of Oz =

Old 07-07-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Finally someone else, I F'n HATE that movie, probably my second least favorite film of all time. Although I didn't see it as a kid. Bueller is one of the most annoying characters in the history of film IMO. I just cringe the way he says things, it gives me douche-chills. I can't stand the way he talks or acts, I'm also baffled by that film.
Old 07-07-10, 06:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I can't decide which is crazier. Even remotely liking The Goonies, hating The Wizard of Oz, or not liking Empire more than the other two.

But then, I like Ernest movies so what do I know?
Old 07-07-10, 08:01 PM

Star Trek V
Return of the Jedi (in comparison to other SW films)
Baby's Day Out
Old 07-07-10, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bro...I grew up on HK action flicks and 80s US Action flicks...I knew my fucking action. Seagal NEVER EVER sold me on his fights. I've said it once and and I'll say it again: I'm pretty sure he can kick my ass but...I just don't like the way his fights are shot. You try to compare his films to HK action films. I was spoiled by greatness. I couldn't go below the standard of quality I grew up w/ on action.

Also...I hate most Norris films. I have a soft spot for Silent Rage though and VERY FEW Van Damme films do I like but I like Van Damme for some reason.
Old 07-07-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I was so stoked to see "Conan The Destroyer" when I was 13... I was a major Conan nerd, from the RAH stories to the Marvel comics (Roy Thomas, Jon Buscema, Barry Windsor-Smith FTW) to the not-really-faithful-to-the-stories-but-still-quite-awesome first Schwartzeneggar movie "Conan The Barbarian".

Then I saw "Conan The Destroyer"... and I stopped believing in God.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 07-07-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 09:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Old 07-07-10, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Then I saw "Conan The Destroyer"... and I stopped believing in God.
I barely remember seeing the film, but I CLEARLY remember seeing the 1st one and thinking it was badass..and it still is. But when I saw the 2nd one I was confused. Like it didn't make sense to me. I'm assuming that still holds. And for some reason..I'd swear Rob Shneider was in it cuz that comedy relief guy (who for some reason in my memory looks like him...maybe he doesn't..I dunno). I was so confused watching it as a kid.
Old 07-07-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was never a fan of any of the Godzilla movies.

Same goes for those cheap, chopsocky karate flicks that were on every Saturday afternoon.
Old 07-08-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Clearly, most of you never had a childhood.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.