Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

finally dreamworks has a masterpiece on their hands. this movie was on the level of pixar. fantastic movie. i hope it pulls in more dough than the crap that looks like shrek 4. this movie had no weak spots. perfect voice acting also. plus, as someone above mentioned, no cultural references.
Old 03-29-10, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
See, I thought the film's one flaw was the preponderance of known live action actors doing the voices. Did we need Jonah Hill or McLovin or America Ferrera or Kristen Wiig when real voice actors could have done those voices better and more cheaply?
I tend to greatly respect your opinions on movies and such but you're really starting to sound like a broken record with this crap in every animated movie thread. We get it. You like "real" voice actors.

I literally thought to myself when I saw this movie today, "I bet Suprmallet will make a comment about the unnecessary celebrity voices."
Old 03-29-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Saw it today, in glorious 2D thank you very much, and loved it.

Craig Ferguson and Gerard Butler

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-29-10 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was great in 3D, most notably the flight scenes, which in my opinion, were filmed in a way that made you feel like you were in the air better then the flight scenes in Avatar.
Old 03-29-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it on the weekend in 3D and thought it was very good...but not great. I thought the cast was fine, the 3D sequences were great and the story was well done... but it didn't have very many laughs. I appreciated they didn't go to the stale Dreamworks well of riffing on pop culture to get some chuckles in, but I thought there was a lot of comedy in the situations that they didn't fully mine. 3.5/5
Old 03-29-10, 03:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I tend to greatly respect your opinions on movies and such but you're really starting to sound like a broken record with this crap in every animated movie thread. We get it. You like "real" voice actors.

I literally thought to myself when I saw this movie today, "I bet Suprmallet will make a comment about the unnecessary celebrity voices."
Well, it distracted me. This kind of thing always distracts me. I'll replace my movie specific concerns with "Generic complaint about casting live action actors over better, cheaper voice actors who would have immersed us more in the world of the movie" if that helps.
Old 03-29-10, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Giles
aspect ratio question: the IMAX screenings are full screen (1.44/1.78 [IMAX digital]) right? I had the vague impression this was being released flat (1.85), the full 2.35 AR at the theatre I saw it though was great since 2.35 were meant to be presented/seen there as such.
I don't know why the IMAX is being listed as 1.44:1, but I helped build an IMAX print of it the other night, and it was not full screen.

Edit: Just double checked it at work, and it's definitely scope.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-29-10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

AP article about how Dreamworks Animation stock dropped nearly 10% due to Dragon's financial performance.

DreamWorks shares drop after 'Dragon' opening

(AP) – 9 hours ago

NEW YORK — Shares of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. dropped Monday after disappointing ticket sales for the movie "How to Train Your Dragon" during its opening weekend.

The stock fell $3.94, or 9.2 percent, to $38.87 in morning trading. The stock has ranged from $17.95 to $44.77 over the past year.

The studio's latest animated adventure pulled in $43.3 million, taking the No. 1 spot for the weekend. But it came in well below DreamWorks' "Monsters vs. Aliens," which made $59.3 million over the same weekend last year.

In a note to investors, Jefferies & Co. analyst Brian Shipman said he was expecting box office sales of $64 million, but added, "Word of mouth and strong reviews could partially offset the light weekend."

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said the results were especially disappointing given the number of 3-D screens DreamWorks was able to line up for the opening.

He said there were 2,178 3-D screens showing "How to Train Your Dragon" this weekend, compared with just 1,149 for "Monsters vs. Aliens" last year. Theaters typically charge extra for 3-D showings.
I'm definitely checking out the movie later in the week, but here's the scary thing. If the film is perceived as a financial disappointment or underperformer, Dreamworks Animation might instantly revert to the BIG! CELEBRITY! VOICES!!, hip flash-in-the-pan songs on the soundtrack, and endless moronic pop culture gags, since these will be perceived as the means to put asses in seats.

And that would be really, REALLY sad.
Old 03-29-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I still can't believe Michael Pachter has the world's most fun analyst job.
Old 03-29-10, 10:05 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
AP article about how Dreamworks Animation stock dropped nearly 10% due to Dragon's financial performance.

I'm definitely checking out the movie later in the week, but here's the scary thing. If the film is perceived as a financial disappointment or underperformer, Dreamworks Animation might instantly revert to the BIG! CELEBRITY! VOICES!!, hip flash-in-the-pan songs on the soundtrack, and endless moronic pop culture gags, since these will be perceived as the means to put asses in seats.

And that would be really, REALLY sad.
That would be really sad. But then again, they're already doing Shrek 4, so how would we know the difference?
Old 03-29-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

That would be really sad. But then again, they're already doing Shrek 4, so how would we know the difference?
Yeah but Shrek is kind of it's own thing at this point. When a total and unrepentant POS like Shrek 3 can pull in 3/4 of a billion dollars or thereabouts, the formula will not be fucked with too hard. Still, there's Overmind to look forward to.
Old 03-29-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it distracted me. This kind of thing always distracts me. I'll replace my movie specific concerns with "Generic complaint about casting live action actors over better, cheaper voice actors who would have immersed us more in the world of the movie" if that helps.
I agree with you about celebrity voice casting.

Not so much because I find it distracting, but because I think it's pointless. If celebrities are being paid more (and I'm not sure this is always the case), it's also an unnecessary expense.

I often have this feeling that if Mel Blanc were alive today, he wouldn't be able to get work.

I just watched 9 last night and, except for Christopher Plummer, didn't recognize anyone else's voice. Not Wood, Reilly, Connelly, Glover or even Martin Landau. Plummer's voice was very fitting for the character, but was his voice really necessary for the character? No.

Obviously the studios think celebrity voices influence BO, but I doubt they put people in seats. Most kids don't know nor care about celebrity voices, and that probably doesn't influence Mom or Dad much either.

And here's the thing... it would be very easy to test the worth (or not) of celebrity voices. A few dozen sneak preview tests without credits and appropriate audience polling would determine much.

That said, at the very least, I have to admit that I have yet to hear a celebrity voice that was miscast. I think all the studios have done well with character appropriate voice casting.

I just think that celebrity voices aren't necessary.

And, btw, I saw HTTYD and thought it was very, very good. I wish there had been a little more of how Hiccup trained his dragon and less of the montage representing it and less of some other sequences. I think they spent a too much time before getting to Hiccup meeting Toothless and too little time of them together. I would like to see more of the two characters.

Last edited by Jon2; 03-29-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 05:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I saw this in 3D, then I got home and saw an HD commercial. The colors were so much vivid and the whole picture looked a lot better.
Originally Posted by Giles
I'd be curious to see if the IMAX version boosts the brightness setting a little higher, I'm deciding whether to see this IMAX Digital or trek over to Cinemark's Egyptian 24 to see/hear this in their XD equipped auditorium.
I did trek out the Egyptian to see this again, and: "oh ... my .... god". The 2K 'Xtreme Digital' presentation trounced the Sony 4K presentation by a landslide. The XD system with it's Barco 2K projector threw a lot of light onto the huge 70 ft. wide screen and revealed a ton of visual information I didn't initially see. The opening night time action scene was clearly visible and wasn't a muddy mess as I had noted before. The sound, from 24 speakers places all around the auditorium (6 alone, behind the screen) was simply A-mazaing! 2 speaker surround from IMAX theatres just doesn't cut it. The whole XD experience was a true cinematic visual and auditory sensory playground ... with Dragons no less

Last edited by Giles; 03-30-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought this was a good movie, Seen it tonight and loved the dragon designs they were so freaking cool looking, very original looking. I seen it in 3d and I thought the 3d was okay, I would of rather seen it in 2d as the 3d made the picture look dull, colors werent as vibrant.

I didnt like this as much as Kung Fu Panda, I stilll thought this was a really good movie, visuals were great, the Hair in this movie looks fantastic and the dragons were awesome and worth seeing it just for the dragons.

B
Old 04-02-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a chance to see this a couple of days ago (in 2D, no 3D option here) and enjoyed it more than expected—and reviews left my expectations pretty high. One of the best animated movies I've seen in years. The story kept me guessing and didn't feel predictable to me. And I admit I laughed out loud at the
Spoiler:
helmet/breast plate
joke.

I'm a bit surprised that it isn't doing better but BOM reports that Dragon is picking up three 3D screens this weekend despite the debut of Clash of the Titans, so it may have some legs.
Old 04-02-10, 03:30 PM

I heard this movie was really good! I think I might consider watching it now!
Old 04-03-10, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I wanted to thank you guys fir the very positive remarks. While trying to decide which movie to see today, I told my g/f about the remarks from here so we decided to give it a shot. Btw we went to the Barrywoods 24 IMAX.

She can be tough on movies but we both loved it. The 3D was very well done. Did not feel gimmicky at all. Nice story and music. Sound and picture presentation was awesome. 4 thumbs way up.
Old 04-03-10, 02:41 AM

It's quite possibly the best animated film I've ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I paid $17 to see it in IMAX 3D and afterwards the cost didn't bother me at all. The next day I went to Wal-Mart and bought the 4 dragon action figures
Old 04-03-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Went to this last night in 3D and absolutely loved it. I wanted to go to the regular 2D version but got out-voted by my friends. Still very enjoyable though.
Old 04-03-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if the news stories about the ridiculous raising of ticket prices had anything to do with the low take. I, for one, was blown away by how much they wanted for tickets. I took 2 adults and 2 kids and the tix were $68. That's nuts. Count me in as not going to the theater any more. The kids are gonna have to wait for the blu-ray. $17.50 a ticket is just plain wrong.

That said, loved the movie, I thought it rivaled most pixar movies, and looked 20 times as good as Toy Story 3 based on the trailer before it. After seeing that trailer, I'm hoping I can use my Blu-ray cash for something else, cause it looks really dumb. Did we really need Barbie and Ken? Yeesh.
Old 04-03-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw this with my 5 year old today and it was a great movie. He loved it and I thought it was one of the best animated movies I have seen theatrically. I would rank it right up there with the best Pixar movies
Old 04-04-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dragon is plugging along, with an estimated weekend take of $29.2 million for a total of $92 million, despite three new movies opening this weekend, including Clash of the Titans in 3D. Not a big hit, but not a flop either.
Old 04-07-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I wish this was doing much better both in hype and ticket sales. This was definitely one of Dreamworks best movies to date. I too appreciated the lack of pop culture however at the same time it seemed that they relied on modernizing the vikings instead of creating a culture that was more believable. And why would vikings have a scottish accent? Is that kind of like how all greeks have an old english accent?
Old 04-07-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Every one, including Craig Ferguson, has either joked or bitched about the Scottish Vikings. Yet no one says shit about the "Valley Girl" kids.

I'd believe a Scottish Viking over a "Valley Girl" Viking any day.
Old 04-08-10, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't sure about the movie when I went in with the g/f.

Good lord, I loved it. I want to see it again. I actually found myself getting emotional during certain sections.

The 3D gave me a headache for about 20 mins, but I enjoyed that, too (except for the price--yeesh!).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.