DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/571427-how-train-your-dragon-dreamworks-2010-a.html)

bd...? 03-26-10 05:45 PM

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Searched but couldnt find anything

Anyone know the reviews on this regarding the 3D. Wondering if its worth the difference

bd...? 03-26-10 05:56 PM

re: How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

nevermind. Rotten tomatoes says its awesome

Dr. DVD 03-26-10 07:32 PM

Saw it. It's funny, visually astounding, and above all else, has a lot of heart in its story. I felt Alice in Wonderland, while good visually, was overall mean natured and without heart. The visuals were about par for an animated movie, but in terms of entertainment I thought it had more going for it than Avatar.

Supermallet 03-26-10 07:51 PM

I loved it. The first Dreamworks animated movie to not rely on dated cultural references, which allowed the humor to flow organically from the characters and their plight. The animation was also top notch, with tons of detail and more scope than any previous Dreamworks film. The 3D looked fantastic and not like a gimmick at all. A lot of time went into this, and it pays off beautifully.

Idioteque... 03-26-10 08:16 PM

Re: How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

I didn't think Dreamworks did any good films until I saw Kung Fu Panda which was on almost the same level as Pixar. It gave me hope for the studio, Monsters vs Aliens was meh, boring, not a good story and was lacking in humor but that god mediocre reviews. Hopefully this is is more like Kung Fu Panda.

And good thing about Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon, they're trying to be their own films. Let's hope Megamind is also very good.

Supermallet 03-26-10 08:21 PM

Kung Fu Panda was fun, but not amazing. How To Train Your Dragon blows it out of the water.

Idioteque... 03-26-10 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10073484)
Kung Fu Panda was fun, but not amazing. How To Train Your Dragon blows it out of the water.

I haven't seen HTTYD yet so I won't make any comments. I can truly say though that Kung Fu Panda was a fun good film that pays homages to all those martial arts flicks. I don't know about HTTYD since the trailers didn't look that great and the dragon looks like a cat lol but we'll see.

The O 03-26-10 09:01 PM

It's a wonderful picture.

2-D or 3-D, go see it -- though the 3-D IMAX experience is quite impressive.

Moleman1138 03-26-10 10:21 PM

The great thing about HTTYD is the lack of pop culture references. As said before, it can stand on its own. The only issue with it is it starts off kind of slow (despite the action)

bd...? 03-26-10 10:36 PM

Well just got back from 3D showing with wife and kid (he's 4) and we all loved it. great story line, the 3D looked terrific and its just a great story. I highly recommend people to go see it

Patman 03-27-10 12:56 AM

I found "HTTYD" to take a little while to find its footing in the first act, plus, Jay Baruchel's voice sometimes comes across sounding like Christian Slater in spots, plus the heaping of pathetic-ness from the voice acting is a little much for the lead character of Hiccup, the frail son of Stoick, the leader of the Vikings. That being said, the film does get better as it goes along, and its humor is derived from the time period that it takes place in, so you won't find it dated with pop cultural references upon a later viewing, and some of the bits of humor just come out of nowhere and really zing the funny bone.

The design for the various dragons range from traditional to kind of weird and bloaty-looking. I wasn't quite wowed by the set pieces or the look of the locales where film takes place. The aerial sequences are quite fun to watch (I saw it in RealD 3D), and will entertain kids and adults alike. I'm not sure I liked it better than Kung-Fu Panda, but it was still an entertaining film.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

nickdawgy 03-27-10 03:46 AM

The wife and I saw it in 3-D Friday morning. Great movie.

zombeaner 03-27-10 06:55 AM

I'm taking my son on Wednesday. I'm glad it is getting overall good reviews.

Doctor Gonzo 03-27-10 09:58 AM

Ahhaha - check out the upper right corner of the front page of the current USA Today. Says "Meet Your Dragon: Toothless soars in 3-D Pixar Film"

The folks at Pixar must be getting a good laugh at that one! People at Dreamworks might kinda feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

At least they gave it * * * 1/2 stars!

Dr. DVD 03-27-10 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo (Post 10074198)
Ahhaha - check out the upper right corner of the front page of the current USA Today. Says "Meet Your Dragon: Toothless soars in 3-D Pixar Film"

The folks at Pixar must be getting a good laugh at that one! People at Dreamworks might kinda feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

At least they gave it * * * 1/2 stars!

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought they might have been seeing things with that headline. I wonder if USA Today is going to have to apologize for mislabeling it?

I too appreciated that the movie's humor didn't draw on pop-culture references. FWIW, I'm also glad it didn't really rely on who was voicing the characters as well. While known, they weren't anywhere near the star power used in Shrek, M v A, or Kung Fu Panda.

Supermallet 03-27-10 12:43 PM

See, I thought the film's one flaw was the preponderance of known live action actors doing the voices. Did we need Jonah Hill or McLovin or America Ferrera or Kristen Wiig when real voice actors could have done those voices better and more cheaply?

RyoHazuki 03-27-10 01:14 PM

Saw it and liked it, but overall it was pretty forgettable. It's nice to see a Dreamworks movie not drowned in pop culture bullshit. The movie itself though is not really funny. The focus is more on the story. One thing that really bothered me is
Spoiler:
they never kill any dragons. Not one. Ever. They spend the whole movie talking about how vikings and dragons are mortal enemies and how much they love to kill them but we never see it. It was like G.I. Joe cartoons. Lots of fighting but somehow no one ever dies.
Small complaint but it bothered me. Good movie but I'd wait for blu or dvd.

Btw, did that old lady in the viking village remind anyone of Gru from Despicable Me? Different studios I know but I saw the Despicable Me trailer right before and it really reminded me of that old lady.

Also Toothless reminded me a lot of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

Groucho 03-27-10 09:21 PM

The funniest part about this movie is that if it were exactly the same, except with Pixar in the opening credits, this thread would be on page 5 with people gushing about it. :lol:

The Bus 03-28-10 08:29 AM

Saw it and liked it. It's entertaining enough, plus it has Craig Ferguson. I'd hesitate to call him a celebrity though. The 3D was the best use that I've seen in an animated feature but I wouldn't call it a "must-see" in 3D.

Definitely one of the best features Dreamworks has put out.

Giles 03-28-10 10:55 AM

I thought it was great - albeit I already love 'dragon' themed movies :)

my only minor quibble I thought the lead characters voice was a tad too nasaly for my taste - but you kind of just accept it after a while.

The opening action/battle scene at night seemed way to dark, the 3D glasses further darken the scene.

other than those two minior personal problems, I was very entertained.

aspect ratio question: the IMAX screenings are full screen (1.44/1.78 [IMAX digital]) right? I had the vague impression this was being released flat (1.85), the full 2.35 AR at the theatre I saw it though was great since 2.35 were meant to be presented/seen there as such.

Groucho 03-28-10 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10075457)
The opening action/battle scene at night seemed way to dark, the 3D glasses further darken the scene.

I saw this in 3D, then I got home and saw an HD commercial. The colors were so much vivid and the whole picture looked a lot better. :(

Giles 03-28-10 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki (Post 10074452)
Saw it and liked it, but overall it was pretty forgettable. It's nice to see a Dreamworks movie not drowned in pop culture bullshit. The movie itself though is not really funny. The focus is more on the story. One thing that really bothered me is
Spoiler:
they never kill any dragons. Not one. Ever. They spend the whole movie talking about how vikings and dragons are mortal enemies and how much they love to kill them but we never see it. It was like G.I. Joe cartoons. Lots of fighting but somehow no one ever dies.
Small complaint but it bothered me. Good movie but I'd wait for blu or dvd.

Btw, did that old lady in the viking village remind anyone of Gru from Despicable Me? Different studios I know but I saw the Despicable Me trailer right before and it really reminded me of that old lady.

Also Toothless reminded me a lot of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

that's because the director and writer of 'How To Train Your Dragon' ALSO wrote/directed 'Lilo and Stitch'

Giles 03-28-10 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10075459)
I saw this in 3D, then I got home and saw an HD commercial. The colors were so much vivid and the whole picture looked a lot better. :(

I'd be curious to see if the IMAX version boosts the brightness setting a little higher, I'm deciding whether to see this IMAX Digital or trek over to Cinemark's Egyptian 24 to see/hear this in their XD equipped auditorium.

Brent L 03-28-10 12:14 PM

I saw this with the gf yesterday. This was a great, great movie. I pretty much loved it on the same level that I love the Pixar releases, it's that great to me. It has a great story, action, visuals, and it even has a good bit of heart and touching moments. An absolute must see in my opinion, and up to this point it is my favorite film of the year.

RyoHazuki 03-28-10 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10075466)
that's because the director and writer of 'How To Train Your Dragon' ALSO wrote/directed 'Lilo and Stitch'

I know Chris Sanders directed both. I don't know that it was intentional though. Just what it looked like to me.