Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Old 11-10-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means
I love HttyD. When is a real sequel coming out and not this direct to dvd crap?
Boneknapper was solid.
Old 11-10-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

An "Epic" story in 20 minutes or so? That made me laugh.
Old 11-12-12, 05:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I finally caught up with this film after coming across some good word of mouth lately. My expectations were not very high, but I thought I'd check it out. Something to watch with the family. I was surprised how bad the film is overall. It had a lot of things going for it, but it had just as many crippling flaws. I'm surprised you guys liked it so much.

First of all the script is really talky, and has a lot of dialogue. I'm fine with that but you can tell the filmmakers don't have any faith that their audience will sit still for any of it so they have all the expositional dialogue spoken DURING action sequences. This was highly distracting and simply bad storytelling and totally contemptuous of the audience.

Second the whole world looked great and the unique dragon designs were fantastic, each one cooler than the last and the adult vikings, because they were so caricatured, looked excellent too, but the kids looked horrible. Their porcelain faces looked like a Final Fantasy cut scene from 1998; expressionless and plastic-y and awful. And they're the main characters!

Lastly, this was one of the most heinous examples I've seen lately of the always annoying screenwriting frustration where the whole conflict could be solved in ten seconds if the main characters would just get themselves in the same room at the same time and say ten words to one another. When the script requires that everyone be in constant ignorance of one another for the drama to be sustained I just check out. It's hack writing.

Also, the kids’ stupid "comic relief" comments during the final battle were not funny and a distraction. It also seemed like they may have been looped in at the last minute in an effort to make the film "more funny".

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-13-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-12-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I was surprised how bad the film is overall. It had a lot of things going for it, but it had just as many crippling flaws. I'm surprised you guys liked it so much.

How much "you guys" liked it so much? Hack writing? The film scored a 98 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 11-12-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lastly, this was one of the most heinous examples I've seen lately of the always frustrating screenwriting frustration where the whole conflict could be solved in ten seconds if the main characters would just get themselves in the same room at the same time and say ten words to one another. When the script requires that everyone be in constant ignorance of one another for the drama to be sustained I just check out. It's hack writing.
As if this doesn't happen in real life. If all the world leaders got together and acted reasonably, they could work out all the world's problems over the course of a weekend.

But back to How to Train Your Dragon...you're probably barking up the wrong tree. It's almost universally loved.
Old 11-12-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved loved loved this movie! Sadly i missed it in 3D.
Old 11-12-12, 07:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
How much "you guys" liked it so much? Hack writing? The film scored a 98 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
Mabuse is the 1%, err, 2%
Old 11-13-12, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoopdido
As if this doesn't happen in real life. If all the world leaders got together and acted reasonably, they could work out all the world's problems over the course of a weekend.
They meet all the time at the UN and they haven't worked out all the world's problems.

That's besides the point. I'm talking about every scene where hicup, a character who is entirely confident during every other moment of the film, stammers and struggles to get a word in whenever he talks to his father. Sure their relationship is a difficult one, but he's not stammering because he's nervous he's stammering because the filmmakers know that this whole movie could be over in 2 minutes if the kid would just say, "I shot down the dragon that you all fear the most, and it turns out he's nice. I can ride him around the town."

I'm generalizing, but I think you know this writing crutch is used all too often.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-13-12 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm generalizing, but I think you know this writing crutch is used all too often.
I agree. However, I'm confused why that particular flaw is what seems to make you dislike the movie the most. It is an animated kids movie after all.
Old 11-13-12, 01:25 PM
Banned

It's an animated movie but I don't think it's a "kids" movie. It seemed like they were shooting for a family film for all ages like The Incredibles. And it seems that they were aiming higher than pure kids fare like Gnomeo and Juliet.

That particular flaw bugs me because (a) it’s a frustrating sloppy way to sustain drama and I’ve seen it so many times it’s literally annoying to watch and (b) I wasn't expecting a film with 98% on RT and so much good word of mouth to resort to that technique. Also, I had several other gripes with the film which I listed above.

It all added up to maybe 2 out of 5 stars and a fun film to watch with my daughter. I wasn't expecting much but I was expecting something much better considering word of mouth and reviews.
Old 11-13-12, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the film but I do think it's pretty weak in it's storytelling. Too much cliche.
Old 11-13-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surprisingly, it was on TV a couple days ago here in snowland.
Old 11-14-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
Loved loved loved this movie! Sadly i missed it in 3D.
I agree, on both counts. Most of my friends loved it also (one used almost identical wording to yours). HTTYD was a sleeper hit that built slowly at the box office almost entirely by word of mouth. Top 20 movie for me.

I disagree with the comments on the story writing; every time I thought the story would go one way it surprised me by going in another direction. Kept me guessing most of the way through. There aren't many animated children's movies that I like, HTTYD was an exception, as you can see from my signature.
Old 11-28-12, 08:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-29-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Old 11-30-12, 07:47 PM

Just saw this for the first time last week, I really enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 12-01-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Nice. I have a Bearded Dragon so that's hilarious to me.