Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Technically, Lisbeth is supposed to look practically like a child if I recall correctly from the books.
Yep, a 12 year old.

Not having seen the movies, I wonder how they'll handle

Spoiler:
the boob job between Tattoo and Fire
?

Or if it will even be recognized.
Old 01-13-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Yep, a 12 year old.

Spoiler:
?

in the movies
Spoiler:
that wasn't really mentioned
Old 01-13-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Yep, a 12 year old.

Spoiler:
?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and like was mentioned above, they just ignored it in the Swedish version. It would be neat if they have an actress that dedicated
Old 01-13-11, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, Lisbeth is meant to be 12 in the first book? Well, that certainly changes the color of the story considerably. Maybe I'll have to read the book.
Old 01-13-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Aren't you doing exactly what you accuse others of doing. i.e. drawing premature conclusions based on 2 pictures?
Where I'm a doing this? I never made a single comment as to what she is going to be like in the movie or posted any conclusion premature or otherwise. I never said she would be good in the role or bad, I just pointed out how others are already criticizing her based on very little.

Plus, Lisbeth is not supposed to look "hot as hell".
I agree, which is why I never said that she was. All I said was that I found that one picture of the actress as "as hot as hell", I never said that is how the character should be. Its just a hot picture.

Noomi Rapace looked exactly like I expected Lisbeth to look.
Then did you actually read the book? The character is frequently described as "angelic", a term even her captor (& case worker) used to decscribe her. Noomi never portrayed this. She was described frequently as diminutive , fragile, & awkward in her own skin & she did have feminine qualities. I never saw any of that in Noomi's performance, awkward socially yes, but she was full of nothing but rage & agression. She is described as looking like a young boy and being extremely petite. Noomi looked butch & rather muscular. Yes, she gave a great performance, but it wasn't exactly the Lisbeth from the book.
Old 01-13-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Wait, Lisbeth is meant to be 12 in the first book? Well, that certainly changes the color of the story considerably. Maybe I'll have to read the book.
No, just look like she's 12. Throughout the 3 books, people consistently mentioned how she looks underage or whatever.
Old 01-13-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Where I'm a doing this? I never made a single comment as to what she is going to be like in the movie or posted any conclusion premature or otherwise. I never said she would be good in the role or bad, I just pointed out how others are already criticizing her based on very little.
Perhaps but you stated that "(she looks) more like the character than Noomi did". And I don't see how you can come to that conclusion from these 2 pictures.

Then did you actually read the book? The character is frequently described as "angelic", a term even her captor (& case worker) used to decscribe her. Noomi never portrayed this. She was described frequently as diminutive , fragile, & awkward in her own skin & she did have feminine qualities. I never saw any of that in Noomi's performance, awkward socially yes, but she was full of nothing but rage & agression. She is described as looking like a young boy and being extremely petite. Noomi looked butch & rather muscular. Yes, she gave a great performance, but it wasn't exactly the Lisbeth from the book.
Yes, I read the books and saw the films before anybody else here did.

Noomi Rapace was not perfect, but it's close enough to what I expected. While she was perhaps a tad too muscular, she did look rather small and boyish, almost androgynous. And she certainly did look diminutive, fragile and ill at ease in her own skin, especially when she wore the baggy pants and hoodie. And being a tad muscular is not that far fetched considering her boxing training.
Old 01-13-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I read the books and saw the films before anybody else here did.
As much as it pains me to admit it, eX is right about this.

I saw the films before most, and eX had started a thread long before I saw them.
Old 01-13-11, 05:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
No, just look like she's 12. Throughout the 3 books, people consistently mentioned how she looks underage or whatever.
Oh, nevermind then.
Old 01-13-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. And I don't see how you can come to that conclusion from these 2 pictures.
That is true. I guess for me, it just boils down to I did not see what all the praise was for the the Swedish films. I hated the character of Blomkvist, and I found nothing captivating or that would have me engaged in Lisbeth, whereas the books I found her to be much more layered and interesting. And while I guess the popular opinion (at least here) is that people prefer the one dimensional angst-ridden punker chick version of Lisbeth. I would like to see the "angelic" and oddly feminine quality that the book actually describes which I can see being portrayed more in the American version.
Old 01-14-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Dragon Tattoo director changes ending. You can read it there isn't any spoilers...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...changes-ending
Old 01-14-11, 04:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I never read the books. Did the Swedish film have a different ending, too?
Old 01-14-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I never read the books. Did the Swedish film have a different ending, too?
I believe the end of the Swedish film was fairly faithful to the books ending.
Old 01-14-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Dragon Tattoo director changes ending. You can read it there isn't any spoilers...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...changes-ending
"The script, which captures the novel's bleak tone, was written by Academy Award winner Steven Zaillian, who wrote Schindler's List, and it departs rather dramatically from the book," Fincher told W Magazine.

"Blomkvist is less promiscuous, Salander is more aggressive, and, most notably, the ending — the resolution of the drama — has been completely changed.

So aside from the ending, it will be exactly like the Swedish film.
Old 01-14-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

First thing I thought too when reading that. The Swedish version changes some other aspects of the plot anyway.
Old 01-14-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It wouldn't be difficult to have a more interesting ending. I enjoyed the original movie because it was well paced, directed and acted, the core story was the weak point.
Old 02-08-11, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

via W magazine:

To prepare for the role of Lisbeth Salander, actress Rooney Mara (shown here on location in Stockholm) had her eyebrows bleached, her hair chopped, and her lip, brow, nose, and nipple pierced—all in one “very intense” day.
yeah...she looks like what I think she looks like based off how you guys have described her...still need to see the original...but....I'm already liking this one for sure....damn...Fincher is keeping himself busy w/ movies. I like that.
slightly NSFW....slightly!
Spoiler:

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-09-11 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Fincher himself has said if he is going to do the sequels but I believe one of the producers said he was under the assumption that Fincher would do all 3.

Considering how the second and third books are as reliant on one another as the "Back to the Future" and "Matrix" sequels were (including something of a cliffhanger, though ending "Fire" a few moments earlier would have constituted a real cliffhanger) I think Fincher could do the sequels similarly back-to-back and be able to move on to other projects faster.

Fincher did "Zodiac" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" back-to-back, and admittedly in that case Fincher's version of "back to back" still resulted in the two movies being released 21 months apart, but if anything it should be even easier to do it on two related movies which would inevitably feature most of the same cast and crew.

I love all three books and I love Fincher but at the same time I don't want to see him tied up for the better part of a decade on what is essentially one project but I think the 5 years between "Panic Room" and "Zodiac" was a fluke and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he could have a second film in theaters within 2 years of the first and then have the third one out within a year or less.
Old 02-08-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I could see Fincher working within a fairly tight time constraint if he were to direct all three. For some reason I have a hunch he's just going to do Dragon Tattoo. Either way it'll be an interesting decision. I'm sure he has his eyes on numerous developing projects, as well as the things he's rumored to be attached to (Rendezvous with Rama, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea etc).

Either way it's good to be the Finch.
Old 02-10-11, 08:11 AM

Anyone know who's playing Aramansky - (Salandar's employer)?
Old 02-10-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Goran Visnjic from ER.
Old 02-10-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yeah I could see Fincher working within a fairly tight time constraint if he were to direct all three. For some reason I have a hunch he's just going to do Dragon Tattoo. Either way it'll be an interesting decision. I'm sure he has his eyes on numerous developing projects, as well as the things he's rumored to be attached to (Rendezvous with Rama, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea etc).

Either way it's good to be the Finch.
Another thing that supports the idea that he could do all 3 is his own comments about being interested in bringing this kind of literary franchise to films but for adults as opposed to Harry Potter and things like that. That's pretty much a non-issue for him if he's only planning on doing the one.
Old 05-12-11, 03:35 PM

Any idea on when we might see a trailer?
Old 05-12-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sony is releasing this but they don't have any big adult oriented movies coming out for a while. Maybe they could attach it to Bad Teacher, but i'm thinking Cowboys and Aliens.
Old 05-18-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks like the MPAA approved a trailer last week, I guess we'll see it with Hangover 2 or online fairly soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.