Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Old 12-21-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

I haven't read the books but I saw all three of the original films last year on Netflix. I felt like they had a TV movie quality. The Fincher version is highly cinematic and a joy visually.

BUT . . .

I find the movie much less interesting when the two main characters aren't together. To me the differences in appearance and worlds that they come from is compelling when they interact. It's interesting the way they work so well together and I'm not talking about just as lovers. That's what I want to see more of in the films. Having seen The Swedish versions, I already know Lisbeth and Blomkvist are hardly together in the final two chapters either. Maybe those need to be rewritten.

If Fincher continues, I'm in. If he's out, I'm out.
Old 12-21-11, 10:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do think this was a cut above the Swedish version in every way, including Mara's performance over Rapace's. I like Rapace but Mara is now Lisbeth to me.
Old 12-21-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I do think this was a cut above the Swedish version in every way, including Mara's performance over Rapace's. I like Rapace but Mara is now Lisbeth to me.
Mara's performance over Rapace!? You are dead to me. And MBoyd, the second and third Swedish films definitely had a TV movie look (because they were, as was the first). But the first definitely had theatrical look. And a different director than #2 and #3.

And I loved Mara as Lisbeth. But the performances were equally great IMO. Just like this will make Mara a huge huge star. The original had Hollywood kicking Rapace's door down.
Old 12-21-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the Swedish film and Rapace's portrayal, however, I didn't find that it, or Rapace by extension did a faithful job replicating Lisbeth as she's detailed in Larsson's novels. As such, I'm looking forward to Fincher's interpretation. Interviews I've come across with Fincher and Mara certainly give one the impression they've concentrated less on the punk, hardness and angst, and more on capturing the many layers of Lisbeth that the novels describe. For me, that's a positive sign.

Fincher also seems intent on focusing more on the developing chemistry between Blomkvist and Lisbeth. Their relationship was another aspect which I felt was given short shrift in Niels Arden Oplev's film.
Old 12-21-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also noticed that a certain moment in the movie is more believable in Finchers movie over the swedish movie
Spoiler:
the first time Lisbeth and Mikkel have sex.

I'm not sure what would be considered a "spoiler" or not given that it seems most people in this thread are semi familiar w the books and or movie. ie the above is not really a big spoiler
Old 12-21-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by meritocracy
I enjoyed the Swedish film and Rapace's portrayal, however, I didn't find that it, or Rapace by extension did a faithful job replicating Lisbeth as she's detailed in Larsson's novels. As such, I'm looking forward to Fincher's interpretation. Interviews I've come across with Fincher and Mara certainly give one the impression they've concentrated less on the punk, hardness and angst, and more on capturing the many layers of Lisbeth that the novels describe. For me, that's a positive sign.

Fincher also seems intent on focusing more on the developing chemistry between Blomkvist and Lisbeth. Their relationship was another aspect which I felt was given short shrift in Niels Arden Oplev's film.
Well, Fincher's Lisbeth is most definitely punk in this film too. But the chemistry between Blomkvist and Lisbeth is definitely stronger in this movie. And Lisbeth is definitely softer once
Spoiler:
her and Blomkvist sleep together

At least to him.
Old 12-21-11, 11:13 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Mara's performance over Rapace!? You are dead to me. And MBoyd, the second and third Swedish films definitely had a TV movie look (because they were, as was the first). But the first definitely had theatrical look. And a different director than #2 and #3.

And I loved Mara as Lisbeth. But the performances were equally great IMO. Just like this will make Mara a huge huge star. The original had Hollywood kicking Rapace's door down.
I'm not saying Rapace did a bad job, in fact she did a very good job. But Mara has become Lisbeth for me. She did have more layers to her than Rapace put into it.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but it's mine.
Old 12-21-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it also bad that i bought the Enya song 'Sail Away' on itunes last night after seeing the movie?
Old 12-21-11, 11:18 PM
Banned by request

Yes, unless you
Spoiler:
have a dungeon you use to kill women.
Old 12-21-11, 11:19 PM

You know when I saw it today, I was REALLY surprised to see the theater full of mostly 60+ year olds considering the graphic scene in it. My mom was talking about going to see it last month after seeing a preview but I warned her against watching it because of those scenes. I guess a lot of todays crowd must have read the books in book clubs or something.
Old 12-21-11, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd
You know when I saw it today, I was REALLY surprised to see the theater full of mostly 60+ year olds considering the graphic scene in it. My mom was talking about going to see it last month after seeing a preview but I warned her against watching it because of those scenes. I guess a lot of todays crowd must have read the books in book clubs or something.
when i saw the original at the baltimore art house theater, it was all mostly older people, who had read the books.
Old 12-21-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
My mom is 70 and she LOVED the original trilogy. So much so, she bought the books. And loved them just as much. Same with all of her friends. Something I never would have expected, or imagined. My dad loved the movies, too. But doesn't read much anymore. Except for the newspaper. So I was surprised that people of all ages have embraced the books and movies.
Old 12-21-11, 11:27 PM

My mom can't even handle the fakest of fake blood on screen so I knew she wouldn't deal well with the uh . . . scene.
Old 12-21-11, 11:28 PM
Banned by request

Just goes to show that
Spoiler:
graphic anal rape
is fun for the whole family!
Old 12-21-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Just goes to show that
Spoiler:
graphic anal rape
is fun for the whole family!
If your last name is Lohan.
Old 12-22-11, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

saw this yesterday and like a few others said i think fincher's version is a notch above the swedish version. i also thought rooney mara's lisbeth was better than noomi repace's. i know most will disagree with the last statement but i thought mara's performance was simply fantastic. i also prefered fincher's ending to the swedish one.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 12-22-11 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-22-11, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved Fincher's version, but I feel that Rapace was the better Salander. Something subtle...her performance seemed more natural and real than Mara's. Mara's seemed like acting.
Old 12-22-11, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw the new Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. Loved it. For the record, I haven't seen the Swedish films and I purposely held off on reading the books.

The soundtrack rocks. The opening credits are pretty awesome.

The movie is over 2 1/2 hrs, but it never feels very long. The opening may be a bit slow, but it picks up quickly after. Great job on the pacing.

They weren't joking about that "R" rating. It's not just for the boobies. There's a couple of very uncomfortable squeamish scenes.

Oddly enough, there were a lot of women and older couples in the theater. I don't know if that's a Tuesday night thing at the movies, or if it was this movie.

Really want to see it again to pick up anything I may have missed.
Old 12-22-11, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kurupt
Loved Fincher's version, but I feel that Rapace was the better Salander. Something subtle...her performance seemed more natural and real than Mara's. Mara's seemed like acting.

I feel the exact opposite. To me it was Mara who was more subtle and gave a more layered performance. Rapace was terrific, but to me it looked like she was wearing a costume. Playing a character. Blatantly wearing makeup done by a makeup artist and clothes given to her by a stylist. And she does not look like she is 24 in the film... let alone 14 which is what Lisbeth is described to sometimes being mistaken for in the book. To me Noomi looked like a high school goth, desperately trying to be different. Mara just embodied Lisbeth completely imo. She was different, she wasn't trying.
Old 12-22-11, 09:35 PM

After seeing it, I give it a 4.25/5. I liked it better than the Swedish version, and Mara is a far better Salander. With that said, I docked points because of the pacing of the movie at the beginning. It wasn't bad, it was just really odd and different. Also I think it was kind of random that they just kind of had Lisbth & Mikael start banging each other. They stated he was a ladies man, but they should of at least had him sleep with Cecilia at last once, like in the book, to really establish it. Also they changed the ending a little bit, but I like the change they made.
Old 12-22-11, 09:44 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
I feel the exact opposite. To me it was Mara who was more subtle and gave a more layered performance. Rapace was terrific, but to me it looked like she was wearing a costume. Playing a character. Blatantly wearing makeup done by a makeup artist and clothes given to her by a stylist. And she does not look like she is 24 in the film... let alone 14 which is what Lisbeth is described to sometimes being mistaken for in the book. To me Noomi looked like a high school goth, desperately trying to be different. Mara just embodied Lisbeth completely imo. She was different, she wasn't trying.
Old 12-22-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did anyone think it was credible that Lisbeth could have easily walked in high heels? (I can't remember if she wore shoes with high heels with her usual clothes.)
Old 12-22-11, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is to say that she never wore those types of shoes before?
Old 12-22-11, 09:52 PM
Banned by request

Didn't she stumble the first time she tried them on?
Old 12-22-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,149 Likes on 899 Posts

Saw it tonight never having read the books or seeing the original Swedish films. I really liked it a lot! Has there been talks if Fincher is going to do the sequels as well or is it too early for that at this time? I'm hoping that he would return as I think his style really added to this film along with the excellent soundtrack by Trent Renzor and Atticus Ross. I may have to pick up the books and check them out as well!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.