Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Old 05-30-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Originally Posted by sauce07
Anybody think that the trailer was "leaked" in this fashion on purpose? The audio and video are both really good and it hasn't been pulled yet. Seems a little too fishy.
I think it goes without saying it wasn't a leak at all...just a little promotional gimick by the studio. Video/audio is TOO good (and not enough real "shake") to be a fan bootleg.
Old 05-30-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trailer looks fantastic....i also dug the music. guess i'll finally check out the swedish film.
Old 05-30-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
trailer looks fantastic....i also dug the music. guess i'll finally check out the swedish film.
Everyone should absolutely see the original film before seeing this. I've watched the trailer/teaser I don't know how many times now and it does look fantastic. Including the music. My only regret (again) is doing a remake (or retelling) this soon after the original movie.
Old 05-30-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,013 Likes on 627 Posts

The trailer for the Fincher film looks great! I've read all three books and watched the first two Swedish films--in fact I may watch the third one tonight via Netflix. Rapace is terrific, but I can definitely see room for a different take on Lisbeth by Mara--especially if she goes less "butch" than Rapace. Daniel Craig should be great as Blomqvist--I thought the actor in the Swedish films was okay, but lacking a little in charisma.
Old 05-30-11, 11:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The teaser trailer looks great. It does what a teaser is supposed to do - make people interested. I did think it was odd about the lack of Salander shots, especially after the February W cover.

Rapace was the best part of the Swedish films. It's obvious that all of them were made for TV with the omissions and minor but critical characters that appear out of nowhere in the second and third books.
Old 05-31-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think it goes without saying it wasn't a leak at all...just a little promotional gimick by the studio. Video/audio is TOO good (and not enough real "shake") to be a fan bootleg.
Looked like a cellphone recording of a digital presentation to me, though the audio was clear.
Old 05-31-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trailer has now been pulled.
Old 05-31-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to be able to check out the trailer and I think it was smart for the studio to delay for a few hours/days. Although, maybe everyone was just on holiday.

It looks like a shot-for-shot remake which is highly disappointing, as is the fact that every facet of the movie is shown in the trailer (albeit in quick cuts).

Still going to see it.
Old 05-31-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by anyanka323
It's obvious that all of them were made for TV with the omissions and minor but critical characters that appear out of nowhere in the second and third books.
Sorry, but no. The first looked very much like a theatrical film. Very glossy and with great production. The second and third? Not so much. But still, incredible stories and acting.
Old 06-01-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytripper
My only regret (again) is doing a remake (or retelling) this soon after the original movie.
I could be wrong, but isn't this an American adaptation of the book and not a remake of the Swedish movie?
Old 06-01-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I could be wrong, but isn't this an American adaptation of the book and not a remake of the Swedish movie?
Probably. But that teaser certainly was a scene for scene remake of the original film.
Old 06-01-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Probably. But that teaser certainly was a scene for scene remake of the original film.
It's kinda hard for me to judge that on a bunch of 2 second shots, but since it is based on the same source material, I would think it would have some visual similarities. It's not like they are going to suddenly set it in Hawaii instead of some wintery wonderland.

I'm excited to see what Fincher does with this material. I thought the books were good but not great and needed some definite editorial help in some spots (too many detailed descriptions of what Blomkvist bought at the 7-11, etc).
Old 06-01-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's kinda hard for me to judge that on a bunch of 2 second shots, but since it is based on the same source material, I would think it would have some visual similarities. It's not like they are going to suddenly set it in Hawaii instead of some wintery wonderland.

I'm excited to see what Fincher does with this material. I thought the books were good but not great and needed some definite editorial help in some spots (too many detailed descriptions of what Blomkvist bought at the 7-11, etc).
Oh, make no mistake about it. Being a huge fan of the first three films (especially the first), and a huge fan of Fincher, I'll be at the first showing the day this is released. Fincher is a fucking genius. And honestly, he's the best working director to pull this off.
Old 06-01-11, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, the one scene that was set in Hawaii (or an equivalently sunny locale) did not seem to be in the US trailer.

This movie seemed to be way, way influenced by the original films. For the first 20 seconds I couldn't even tell the difference.
Old 06-01-11, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

legit trailer:

<object width="720" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40697"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40697" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="353"></embed></object>
Old 06-01-11, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Jesus Christ there are a lot of cuts in that trailer.
Old 06-01-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think it looked like a shot for shot remake of the Swedish movies at all. Way too difficult to make that assessment from that trailer, in my opinion.
Old 06-01-11, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Jesus Christ there are a lot of cuts in that trailer.
yes there are but w/ each cut you're going to or back to some great and strong imagery via Fincher. Who cuts Fincher's trailers btw? He always seems to have great trailers. The Red Band Trailer by far is my fav Fincher trailer mostly because of the cover song kinda gives off a vibe of disturbance added w/ the imagery. Green is good too...just...SLIGHTLY less liked...for some switched shots here and there.

Bootleg Redband:
<object width="600" height="454"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40652"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40652" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="454" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Just by watching the images I can tell it's Fincher just by the yellow color hue he's got there...that's pretty much a hue he uses a lot....stands out the most to me.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-01-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The Swedish films host some of the ugliest people and cut out some of the most important info from the books. Not trying to be condescending but Berger is hideous and they don't touch on the relationship between Berger and Blomqvist at all. Looking forward to Fincher's version for sure!
Old 06-01-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
The Swedish films host some of the ugliest people and cut out some of the most important info from the books. Not trying to be condescending but Berger is hideous and they don't touch on the relationship between Berger and Blomqvist at all. Looking forward to Fincher's version for sure!
The Swedish versions are guilty of some of the worst Hollywoodisms people normally complain about with adaptations. I said it in that 'Infernal Affairs" thread and I'll say it again here: people see the subtitles and immediately consider a movie "respectable". I own this trilogy on Blu and I found all 3 to be serviceable but I also think there's a lot of room for improvement.

When it comes down to it Larsson didn't live to see either set of adaptations so its not like the Swedish version is more "authorized" or "approved" or "canonical". He sold the rights to the company behind both versions so they're really equal in that respect. The only thing that could possibly make one adaptation more valid than the other is the language but if you're gonna get hung up on that you're not really gonna be able to rationalize reading the English translation of the books either, not to mention the fact that as a fan of the mystery genre Larsson preferred to read in the English language.

The original Swedish versions will always be the preferred version by contrarians. There are people right now waiting for the next few months when they'll be able to be all condescending to their coworkers for watching the "inferior" American version. Those people have already made up their minds and nothing will change them. I personally think Fincher showed a lot more promise way back on "Alien3" than the two Swedish directors showed on the existing trilogy and I think its fitting that the success of the Swedish version has earned the "Dragon Tattoo" director American gigs as a television director.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 06-01-11 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I think Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original) had excellent direction and solid acting, it wasn't as visually impressive as Alien 3 but it had better tension, character emotion and pacing down pat - of course the material is also night and day. I look forward to whatever Oplev comes out with next.

I think Fincher could easily improve on it (especially if they changed
Spoiler:
the ending
as rumored). I'm more interested to see him redo 2 and 3 though as those were lousy movies. Doesn't help that they were shot for TV and definitely look like it, jarring as the 1st didn't have, or at least didn't look like it had, the same issues (the first also had twice the budget of the second. $13m vs. $6m. And it certainly shows. Fincher has $100m to play with.)

The real X factor here is Noomi Rapace or Rooney Mara.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-01-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I want to see the Hong Kong version--as they would have made it 18-20 years ago. (Think BLACK CAT and NAKED KILLER.)
Old 06-01-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

International Poster, (maybe slightly NWS):

Spoiler:

And the uncensored version that shows a little more nipple:

Spoiler:

Last edited by FinkPish; 06-01-11 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loving the poster, reminds me of when they actually had photo shoots for poster designs. Not just a bunch of promo pics photoshop into a poster. Awesome, although I doubt we see this version in the states. If we do, you can bet the font will be bolder and covering her chest area.
Old 06-02-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Doesn't help that they were shot for TV and definitely look like it
I had no idea -- but in retrospect, it makes sense.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.