Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cases of Movie Miscasting

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cases of Movie Miscasting

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cases of Movie Miscasting

Old 02-25-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I think I'll give a nod to Gary Oldman in "Lost in Space".

Perhaps it was the writers that decided to make the change for his character, but my understanding was that Dr. Smith (originally) was a nosy pain in the ass, not someone two steps from going family killer.
Not quite. In the series premiere, Smith was an enemy spy who was ordered to sabotage the Jupiter 2. When he got caugh on board during lift-off, he had no choice but to undo the damage if he didn't want to die, but by then the ship was Lost in Space. The producers liked Jonathan Harris so much that they decided to keep his character around, and over the first few episodes he morphed from an outright villain to a mere asshat who'd sell out the family for a chance at returning to Earth.
Old 02-25-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I went off secondary information from my father about "Lost in Space", sounds like he only saw later episodes.
Old 02-25-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This might sound absolutely nuts... but Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Now, I fucking love Harrison Ford... but he really jumped the shark for me with Six Days and Seven Nights (after the excellent Air Force One). After that he continued to make junk like Random Hears, What Lies Beneath (blech), Hollywood Homicide, and Firewall.

His performance as Indy was shockingly bad because he has aged too much for the part. His line delivery which was cool, calm, and perfect in the first three films sounded like a stroke victim that had escaped from his hospital bed and had been placed in Indiana Jones films. And because Spielberg tried to shoehorn the fact that he had aged past the part we were also subjected to Mutt Williams picking up the slack both in delivery and action-wise (I actually didn't mind Shia LeBouf... I think he did a stand up job, actually).

Worst miscasting ever. LOL. I still don't understand why they just didn't reboot the series with a new actor as Indiana Jones and gave the series some new life (possibly an entire trilogy of new films). There are many actors that do the gruff-yet-smart thing well! I could name 5 right now, seriously!
Old 02-25-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^The fact that he seems to hate acting doesn't help either. I get the feeling that he thinks he's doing court-ordered community service whenever he takes a role.
Old 02-25-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Not quite. In the series premiere, Smith was an enemy spy who was ordered to sabotage the Jupiter 2. When he got caugh on board during lift-off, he had no choice but to undo the damage if he didn't want to die, but by then the ship was Lost in Space. The producers liked Jonathan Harris so much that they decided to keep his character around, and over the first few episodes he morphed from an outright villain to a mere asshat who'd sell out the family for a chance at returning to Earth.
Your post sent me to IMDB to see if Jonathan Harris was still alive (he's not), but I learned that he was the son of Russian-Jewish parents and was born and raised in the Bronx. He sure shook off that accent. He was also married to the same woman for 64 years, right up until his death.
Old 02-25-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
If they cast today, I'd expect Zoe Salanda to be the front-runner, but in 2000 there was no name ahead of Berry's on anyone's wish list for the role.
Angela Bassett certainly was.
Old 02-25-10, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
This might sound absolutely nuts... but Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Now, I fucking love Harrison Ford... but he really jumped the shark for me with Six Days and Seven Nights (after the excellent Air Force One). After that he continued to make junk like Random Hears, What Lies Beneath (blech), Hollywood Homicide, and Firewall.

His performance as Indy was shockingly bad because he has aged too much for the part. His line delivery which was cool, calm, and perfect in the first three films sounded like a stroke victim that had escaped from his hospital bed and had been placed in Indiana Jones films. And because Spielberg tried to shoehorn the fact that he had aged past the part we were also subjected to Mutt Williams picking up the slack both in delivery and action-wise (I actually didn't mind Shia LeBouf... I think he did a stand up job, actually).

Worst miscasting ever. LOL. I still don't understand why they just didn't reboot the series with a new actor as Indiana Jones and gave the series some new life (possibly an entire trilogy of new films). There are many actors that do the gruff-yet-smart thing well! I could name 5 right now, seriously!
interesting, to me indy is ford. Though...name your 5 picks. I'm interested in what you said.
Old 02-25-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad Pitt in anything completely serious.
Old 02-25-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
interesting, to me indy is ford. Though...name your 5 picks. I'm interested in what you said.
I think Gerard Butler would make a great Indiana Jones.
Old 02-25-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
he did fine in BABEL.
Old 02-25-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I think Gerard Butler would make a great Indiana Jones.
Obviously Tom Selleck.

Hugh Jackman would be good I think.
Old 02-26-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts

12 Monkeys? Fight Club?
Old 02-26-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
12 Monkeys? Fight Club?
To be fair, he plays a complete loon in 12 Monkeys and spends most of the movie spouting jibberish with a crazy look in his eyes.
Old 02-26-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I loved Six Days, Seven Nights. It reminded me of his performances as Han Solo, and I thought it was a fun little movie. I also enjoyed Hollywood Homicide and What Lies Beneath. In any event, let's not suggest that Ford's filmography is endorsed by a consensus of fans and critics prior to the late 1990s.

His performance as Indy was shockingly bad because he has aged too much for the part.
I thought it was pretty clear that they wrote the film to account for Harrison Ford's aging, rather than try to pass him off as the same age from when we last saw him in the role. If Indiana Jones has aged along with Harrison Ford, then I see no reason why Ford's performance shouldn't reflect that aging.

I bolded what is certainly hyperbole. As for why not rebooting the series, I have a hard time imagining that as anything anyone would want to make or see. James Bond, Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, Batman...these are all characters that have existed before, and outside of, their cinematic counterparts and are larger than any one actor. Indiana Jones? Not so much. And yes, I'm perfectly aware of Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and no, I don't consider it proof positive that the public demands the character above Harrison Ford in the role.
Old 02-26-10, 12:15 PM

Keanu Reeves as a human being in anything.
Old 02-26-10, 12:55 PM

I think Nathan Fillion would have been a good Indiana Jones. Or a great Han Solo, as he proves in Firefly.
Old 02-26-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bill Murray in the Razor's Edge.
Old 02-26-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
12 Monkeys? Fight Club?
Notice I specified completely serious in my post. His performances in 12 Monkeys and Fight Club were tinged with humor - quirky in the former, sardonic in the latter. It's when he's asked to be completely straight-up and earnest that his limitations are exposed.
Old 02-26-10, 05:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 413 Likes on 258 Posts

Notice I specified completely serious in my post. His performances in 12 Monkeys and Fight Club were tinged with humor - quirky in the former, sardonic in the latter. It's when he's asked to be completely straight-up and earnest that his limitations are exposed.
I thought he rocked it in Seven.... certainly not a lot of humor there.
Old 02-27-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was annoying in Se7en, but I think maybe that was his character.
Old 02-27-10, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
I think Nathan Fillion would have been a good Indiana Jones. Or a great Han Solo, as he proves in Firefly.
Old 06-07-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Demi Moore, Mr. Brooks

Maggie Grace, the Taken movies.

Vernon Wells, Commando (Ironically, his miscasting probably makes the role a little more memorable than it would have been.)
Old 06-07-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 255 Likes on 183 Posts

Seth Rogen - Green Hornet
Old 06-07-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
We never did find out the 5

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.