Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cases of Movie Miscasting

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cases of Movie Miscasting

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Cases of Movie Miscasting

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Allow me to rephrase, since I haven't seen the movie in probably 8-9 years and only saw it once. I never bought Hawke as a cop, as someone who could handle himself with a gun, or a badge, or in any kind of crisis situation whatsoever. I remember the movie kind of positioning him as the "break the rules to get the job done" kind of scrappy character that his skinny pissboy frame and lack of discernable screen presence could possibly project. I had a lot of problems with that overrated POS movie but Hawke's casting/performance was probably the biggest complaint I had.

If I read it wrong, no biggie, but I still thought he was terrible in it.
I usually agree with you but you are dead wrong, Hawke was supposed to be the inexperience guy who didn't know how to work in real cop situations, and his performance here along with Gattaca are the ones that had stood out for me throughout the years
Old 06-24-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I always thought Three Amigos might have been a lot funnier if John Candy had been cast instead of Chevy Chase.
I don't really know the story behind the movie, but it always felt like it was made as an excuse just to have those three guys be in a single movie.

Not really a bad movie, it has some quality quotable lines.
Old 07-08-14, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard some people argue that there is no such thing as miscasting in mainstream movies. It's the writing.

Not sure I agree.

Last edited by Yeti4623; 07-08-14 at 04:04 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I just read in an interview with David Huddleston (in Shock Cinema) that Mel Brooks had originally cast Dan Dailey (an old Hollywood song-and-dance man) in the Gene Wilder part in BLAZING SADDLES, but had to let him go when it was revealed he had failing eyesight. He then cast Gig Young, but had to let him go when Young got the D.T.'s on set. So then he cast Gene Wilder whom he'd wanted in the first place. Hard to imagine this film being any kind of cult hit without Wilder in the role.
Old 07-09-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by joliom
- Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher
I just watched this ... I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but I thought he did well in this. I kept thinking of his character as a "sequel" to his character in A Few Good Men.

That said ... I have never read any of the books. After reading a bit about the character online I can see why fans were pissed at Cruise being selected for the role.
Old 07-18-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Selena Gomez/Getaway
Old 07-18-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly miscasting per se, but why the hell do directors always feel the need to force Sam Worthington to do American accents? They know he's terrible at it, right? Was there any reason in the world his characters in Avatar and Terminator Salvation couldn't have been Australian? I also feel that Keanu Reeves could have been a halfway decent Jonathan Harker if Coppola had just said "fuck it" and made him an American.
Old 01-27-15, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Scarlett Johanansson in anything that doesn't require her to play a sullen, bratty 20-something -- but especially The Black Dahlia.
ah posts from 2010
Old 01-27-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
ah posts from 2010
What has she done since to invalidate my claim? A bunch of superhero movies? Come on.
Old 01-27-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
She's done some pretty acclaimed work lately: Match Point, Lucy, Under the Skin, Don Jon, Her, The Prestige, or even Lost in Translation, Ghost World, & The Horse Whisperer going back.
Old 01-27-15, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. She's a pretty solid actress.
Old 01-27-15, 10:43 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
She's done some pretty acclaimed work lately: Match Point, Lucy, Under the Skin, Don Jon, Her, The Prestige, or even Lost in Translation, Ghost World, & The Horse Whisperer going back.
Chef, Vicky Cristina Barcelona...
Old 01-27-15, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
I've heard some people argue that there is no such thing as miscasting in mainstream movies. It's the writing.
I believe it was Ari Gold who said that.
Old 01-27-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
(A) You have a weird definition of "lately", and
(B) Most of those are covered by my statement -- "Scarlett Johanansson in anything that doesn't require her to play a sullen, bratty 20-something".
Old 01-27-15, 11:30 AM
Banned

Since this 5-yr.-old thread keeps getting bumped (which seems okay since miscasting still happens routinely), another vote for Glen Campbell in True Grit. Some people have a lot of problems with Kim Darby & even John Wayne's casting, but Campbell was eaten alive by the vets. Lots of cringe-worthy moments.

Also a big vote for Mark Wahlberg in Shooter. Nothing like the Bob Lee Swagger of the books.
Old 01-27-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

My personal work of her was in "Her". You never really see her but damn does she make you fall in love with just her voice. No other movie has made me care about her character like in "Her".
Old 01-27-15, 11:46 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

(A) You have a weird definition of "lately", and
(B) Most of those are covered by my statement -- "Scarlett Johanansson in anything that doesn't require her to play a sullen, bratty 20-something".
Just need to make sure. Do you even know who Scarlett Johansson is?
Old 01-27-15, 12:02 PM
Banned

What has she done since to invalidate my claim? A bunch of superhero movies? Come on.
There is a gif out there of her and the Incredible Hulk that I think is well done and funny.
Old 01-27-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Under the Skin, also her vocal work in Her deserved an oscar nod
Old 01-28-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

(A) You have a weird definition of "lately"
I'd think of within the last ten years or so as "lately," though obviously, that's a while. Even since she moved on to more adult roles, she's done a pretty wide variety of things. Woody Allen film, period pieces (The Other Bolyen Girl)

Most of those are covered by my statement -- "Scarlett Johanansson in anything that doesn't require her to play a sullen, bratty 20-something".
Again, Lucy, Under the Skin, Her, and Chef just within the last two years, plus starring as Janet Leigh in Hitchcok, or being Woody Allen's muse for a few years, and she's working with the Coen Brothers in a satire about 1950s Hollywood next. Whether she was good in the roles or not is of course going to be subjective, but she has certainly done a fairly eclectic number of things in her career.
Old 01-29-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Since I started this thread , I want to add James Franco in Oz the Great and Powerful. I think he's okay in certain roles, but the role was clearly written for either Robert Downey Jr. or Johnny Depp.