Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cases of Movie Miscasting

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cases of Movie Miscasting

Old 02-22-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cases of Movie Miscasting

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Ethan Hawke in Training Day. Tough and streetwise? Yeah... Stephen Hawking could so kick his ass.
Maybe my favorite working actor & one of the most criminally underrated talents in the business. I couldn't disagree more with this. Very overrated movie but he was not the problem.

And I'll add Lieve Shreiber as Sabretooth.
Old 02-22-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure if someone mentioned:

George Clooney as Batman! Although his portrayal did kill the franchise for a while and gave us Christopher Nolans vision.
Old 02-22-10, 04:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

George Clooney was fine as Batman. The problems with that film had nothing to do with his performance, and most were left-over from the previous installment.
Old 02-23-10, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of all the things that went wrong with "Batman & Robin", George Clooney was not one of them.

He was a passable Batman/Bruce, but you can't save a sinking ship by scooping out water one bucket at a time.
Old 02-23-10, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyler Perry in every Madea movie.
Old 02-23-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarBluth
Tyler Perry in every Madea movie.
Not that I've ever seen one of his films, but honestly: what, they'd be David Lean-quality if some other black dude was in the fat drag suit?
Old 02-23-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kelly Rowland in Freddy vs. Jason. Not that the rest of the cast didn't suck, but she really sucked.

Jack Black in King Kong. You go from Robert Armstrong to Charles Grodin to him? Adrien Brody didn't do much for the legacy, either.

The cast of G.I.N.O. '98 (aka Godzilla), but especially Maria Pitillo. Pitifullo is more like it.
Old 02-23-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666

I would say that Stuart Townsend is the most annoying actor in every single movie he's in.
And to think we came so close to him being Aragorn in LOTR. *shudder*
Old 02-23-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Eh, I've seen (and been ticketed by) some pretty nice looking ladies in blue so I'm not sure about this one.
Yeah did you see the show on Biography about the Naperville female cops? A couple of pretty decent looking ones in there.
Old 02-23-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sofia Coppola in Godfather III.

Also I have to disagree with Toddly about David Arquette in the Grey Zone. I thought he did a pretty respectable job in the role.
Old 02-23-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if it was miscasting or poor directing, but SLJ as Mace Windu was terrible. They should've gotten Morgan Freeman to shave his head and narrate the whole trilogy just for good measure!
Old 02-23-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't know if it was miscasting or poor directing, but SLJ as Mace Windu was terrible. They should've gotten Morgan Freeman to shave his head and narrate the whole trilogy just for good measure!
That's a really good one actually. He never fit that part (or fit in that universe for that matter).
Old 02-23-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
George Clooney as Batman! Although his portrayal did kill the franchise for a while and gave us Christopher Nolans vision.
It's entirely unfair to lay the blame for the aftermath of that film at the feet of George Clooney. There was a mis-cast blunder with that film, though, and it was Arnold Schwarzenegger. I don't know if any effort was made to get him, but I think every fanboy in the world expected Patrick Stewart in the role.

No, the blame ultimately resides with Warner Bros. It's pretty clear that they set a timetable for Batman & Robin based solely on the box office performance of its predecessor and pimped out the franchise to every licensee they could find. Hasbro had people getting hold of design art at early stages to ensure on-time delivery of toys. That's what went wrong with the movie.

As for the "death of the franchise," I have always thought that was hyperbolic overkill. They acted as though that singular film was proof positive that Batman would never again be a viable property. The whole time, I kept thinking about the James Bond series. When a Bond movie flopped, they reverse direction and keep on going.

After On Her Majesty's Secret Service "under-performed," they threw a ton of money at Sean Connery and made Diamonds Are Forever. After The Man with the Golden Gun disappointed for being a bit of a circus came The Spy Who Loved Me, which remains an iconic masterpiece. Moonraker made the most money of any Bond for ages, but because it was obvious that was as far as Bond story-telling could go in the sci-fi direction, they went back to basics with For Your Eyes Only.

I never understood why Warner didn't simply say, "Okay, we dropped the ball on this one. Next time, you'll have the extra year to work on the movie and we'll keep the marketing and merchandising departments out of the way."
Old 02-23-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cute female slut police officers...

Old 02-23-10, 12:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

part II!
Old 02-23-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

Don't know if she's a slut (I can only wish), but Andrea Penoyer of the Broward Sheriff's Office can bust me anytime.

Old 02-23-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with very little in this thread, but Sofia Coppola in Godfather III is dead on.

Other than her, I think each director got exactly what they wanted out of their actors. Lucas doesn't give a shit about the actors so it's not surprising that a lot his actors do poorly, but I'd blame Lucas's directing. I doubt anyone would do any better in those roles.

And people like Cameron Diaz or Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal (equally bad) had poorly written roles in first place. Their casting was not the problem.
Old 02-23-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop

Other than her, I think each director got exactly what they wanted out of their actors. Lucas doesn't give a shit about the actors so it's not surprising that a lot his actors do poorly, but I'd blame Lucas's directing. I doubt anyone would do any better in those roles.
I dunno about that, McDiarmid and MacGregor (sp on both?) both seemed to know what the hell was going on, as did Neeson and even (yes I'm serious) Achmed Best. (The character of Jar Jar might have been a blemish on the movie, but Best played it perfectly.)
Old 02-23-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know Diaz gets the focus of the GONY discussion but to me DiCaprio was equally miscast. I just did not buy him as a tough guy leading a gang. Now he was perfect IMO for Catch Me If You Can which came out at the same time.

Thankfully Leo did nail The Departed. I don't know if it was the beefier look or what but I bought him as a tough guy a lot easier in that one.
Old 02-23-10, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Jack Nicholson in The Departed.
First one I thought of. Who would have ever thought that Nicholson would be the worst part of a movie.
Old 02-23-10, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I know Diaz gets the focus of the GONY discussion but to me DiCaprio was equally miscast. I just did not buy him as a tough guy leading a gang. Now he was perfect IMO for Catch Me If You Can which came out at the same time.

Thankfully Leo did nail The Departed. I don't know if it was the beefier look or what but I bought him as a tough guy a lot easier in that one.
Those 2 against DDL is a bad choice. Seriously the only people in there that directly kept up with DDL (take that as you will) was Neeson, Reilly (though his scenes aren't intense but they worked for the character), Brendan Gleeson, and Jim Broadbent,
Old 02-23-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 575 Posts

I agree with very little in this thread, but Sofia Coppola in Godfather III is dead on.

And people like Cameron Diaz or Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal (equally bad) had poorly written roles in first place. Their casting was not the problem.
So, you think John Wayne was a good choice for Genghis?
Old 02-23-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Nicolas Cage in Knowing. He wasn't terrible, but he didn't exactly 'bring it' either. It was a phoned in performance that could have gone to a solid character actor who could have run away with the role.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

As for the "death of the franchise," I have always thought that was hyperbolic overkill. They acted as though that singular film was proof positive that Batman would never again be a viable property.
Agreed, the Batman franchise got progressively worse after the first one.

So despite the poor writing you think Katie Holmes is believable is a DA?
Old 02-23-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
George Clooney was fine as Batman. The problems with that film had nothing to do with his performance, and most were left-over from the previous installment.
Agreed
Old 02-23-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.