Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Quentin Tarantino Film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite Quentin Tarantino Film?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Favorite Quentin Tarantino Film?

Originally Posted by Rad14
I also don't agree that both Willis and Travolta were "dead in the water" before Pulp, but again, if that's your opinion, you're entitled to it.
PULP FICTION was widely credited -- in 1994 and beyond -- for rejuvenating and reviving John Travolta's film career, which was pretty much dead in the water and had been so for years.

Yes there's the exception of the "Look Who's Talking" film, the first one was a hit, but widely accredited to the "goddamn talking baby" gimmick and more of a Kirstie Alley vehicle anyhow.

In 1994, Bruce Willis still had a career but it was on a MAJOR decline (after "Die Hard 2", from 1990 to 1994, he starred in a string of big-budget flops like "Bonfire of the Vanities", "Hudson Hawk", "Billy Bathgate", "The Last Boy Scout", "Death Becomes Her", "Striking Distance", and "Color Of Night".)
Old 02-17-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I did love the chop-schlocky Kill Bill 1 (and liked 2, even though the ending really fell apart)
That was because the Bride turned out to have real, human feelings, right? and that was disappointing because you'd grown so fond of the cartoon of The Bride that was Kill Bill Vol. 1
Old 02-17-10, 04:43 PM

Happy to see Jackie Brown get so much love but everyone knows that Pulp Fiction is his masterpiece. If Pulp Fiction was released this year, it would sweep the Oscars. While Dogs was groundbreaking, the dialog isn't even in the same stratosphere as Pulp Fiction.
Old 02-17-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hardercore
That was because the Bride turned out to have real, human feelings, right? and that was disappointing because you'd grown so fond of the cartoon of The Bride that was Kill Bill Vol. 1
Yes. Yes that's exactly it. My god sir, what the fuck are you doing pissing your life away on the Internet when clearly you can read minds with pinpoint accuracy?
Old 02-17-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brocklanders
Happy to see Jackie Brown get so much love but everyone knows that Pulp Fiction is his masterpiece.
Nope.
Old 02-17-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't know where else to post it, so here are some pretty fucking sweet fan-posters made for Inglourious Basterds that should never see the light of day in Weinsteins campaign for the Oscar....
Old 02-17-10, 10:57 PM

Most guys who try to say that Pulp Fiction wasn't Tarantino's best picture are just being contrarians. It's the same type of guys or gals who say, "such and such band is great but their first album was their best"
Old 02-17-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by brocklanders
Happy to see Jackie Brown get so much love but everyone knows that Pulp Fiction is his masterpiece.
I'm a huge Tarantino fan but I gotta disagree here.....Personally I Like Pulp Fiction more than Jackie Brown but I have a lot of friends and know quite a few people that I'm not really close to who would immediately disagree.

As of now, I'm torn between Inglourious Basterds and Reservoir Dogs but only because I still haven't seen Inglourious Basterds enough yet but I gotta say...it looks like for right now that I may have new favorite film.
Old 02-18-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Yes. Yes that's exactly it. My god sir, what the fuck are you doing pissing your life away on the Internet when clearly you can read minds with pinpoint accuracy?
Relax, dude. I was having a laugh.
Old 02-18-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Hokeyboy was actually being sincere in his compliment.

Of course, I'm insanely naive.
Old 02-18-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hardercore
Didn't know where else to post it, so here are some pretty fucking sweet fan-posters made for Inglourious Basterds that should never see the light of day in Weinsteins campaign for the Oscar....
This is pretty badass

I also like the one where the Nat-zi is getting spanked and the one that's kinda a take off of the District 9 poster with the shooting range target.
Old 02-18-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that was my favorite too
Old 02-18-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why do they say that John Travolta had a comeback with Pulp Fiction? Was he really a star in his previous movies? I'm assuming that Saturday Night Fever was his break-out role, and then was he known as a "big star" in Grease, Urban Cowboy, and Blow Out. Was he huge during that time when those three movies came out? Then what was his fall - Staying Alive?

Concerning Battlefield Earth, why did John Travolta choose a crappy director for that film? Compared to all his other movies, Roger Christian did as good as he could with Battlefield Earth. If I was Roger Christian, I would be pretty proud of Battlefield Earth because all of his movies before and after it probably suck even more.

Last edited by toddly6666; 02-18-10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-18-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Why do they say that John Travolta had a comeback with Pulp Fiction? Was he really a star in his previous movies? I'm assuming that Saturday Night Fever was his break-out role, and then was he known as a "big star" in Grease, Urban Cowboy, and Blow Out. Was he huge during that time when those three movies came out? Then what was his fall - Staying Alive?
Travolta was GI-NORMOUS in the mid/late 70s. Probably the biggest superstar on the planet with the knockout punch of both "Saturday Night Fever" in 1977 and "Grease" in 1978. These were both mega-blockbusters/phenomena with him in the lead roles. The soundtracks to both albums -- which he owned a piece of, and I believe still does -- were mega-platinum and on the radio everywhere at the time.

Then in the 80s everything... sorta went downhill fast. The early/mid 80s was marked by a HUGE anti-disco/anti-70s vibe, and Travolta was basically the poster boy for that era. "Urban Cowboy" was a big movie, and "Blow Out" got good critical reviews but didn't get much box office. What followed was a list of stinkers that stopped his career fast: "Staying Alive" (although a hit, was critically lambasted to hell and beyond), "Two Of A Kind" (a shithole of a film that reunited him with Olivia Newton-John, the film bombed and rightfully so: it's bloody embarrassing), "Perfect" (anything but, another major stinker and flop), and "The Experts" (which I believe went straight-to-video, with good reason).

Concerning Battlefield Earth, why did John Travolta choose a crappy director for that film? Compared to all his other movies, Roger Christian did as good as he could with Battlefield Earth. If I was Roger Christian, I would be pretty proud of Battlefield Earth because all of his movies before and after it probably suck even more.
No idea. They probably were looking for a director who would do whatever the producers wanted, no matter how inane. A novice who had only done special effects before is easily pliable.
Old 02-18-10, 11:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I haven't seen Jackie Brown or Reservoir Dogs
You're missing his top two.

Worst for me is Death Proof by far, all the rest fairly close, with Inglourious Basterds being near the bottom.
Old 02-18-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apart from resurrecting Travolta's career, QT's films have also given these actors their only Academy Award nominations: Robert Forster, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, and Christoph Waltz (who is likely to be a winner next month). And Pam Grier was primarily known as a blaxploitation star before her critically acclaimed performance in Jackie Brown (which should have been nominated for an Oscar IMO).
Old 02-18-10, 01:30 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kill Bill Volume 1 is my favorite.
Old 02-18-10, 02:48 PM

The thing that excludes Reservoir Dogs for me is that it's pretty much a blatant rip-off of City On Fire. Tarantino claims that he had never seen the film, but it's pretty hard to buy that story once you've seen it.
Old 02-18-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan
The thing that excludes Reservoir Dogs for me is that it's pretty much a blatant rip-off of City On Fire. Tarantino claims that he had never seen the film, but it's pretty hard to buy that story once you've seen it.
Controversy aside, Tarantino still did it better.
Old 02-18-10, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Controversy aside, Tarantino still did it better.
I totally agree. City On Fire isn't a very good film. It just bothers me that he refuses to acknowledge where he got the material from. First he says "I'm dying to see it!" and then years later he says "I've got the poster right here. That's Danny Lee. Ringo Lam is like my second, after Jackie Chan, third favorite of all the Hong Kong directors."
Old 02-19-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Kill Bill Vol 2
5. Kill Bill Vol 1
6. Jackie Brown
7. Death Proof - The only QT movie that I do not like.

If writing was also included, True Romance would slip in as #3 and From Dusk til Dawn would be #7.

And although he's only credited with "story by" for Natural Born Killers, I wouldn't add it at all because it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Old 02-19-10, 06:38 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't Stone totally change up the story?
Old 02-19-10, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Didn't Stone totally change up the story?
Yeah, QT disowned it. The final product doesn't even resemble his script.
Old 02-19-10, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How good was the script?
Old 02-19-10, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, this is why I love this board. Little nuggets like this one above that give me a film to dig out that I never would have heard of. Many, many thanks Truffaut Fan!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.