Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Get Him to the Greek (Brand, Hill) >> June 4th, 2010

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Get Him to the Greek (Brand, Hill) >> June 4th, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Get Him to the Greek (Brand, Hill) >> June 4th, 2010

Get Him To The Greek is another film that sputters toward the end (the third act is drawn out, and with the three-way bit and fracture sequence, just isn't terribly amusing), but it doesn't bring down the film with it. I loved Hill and Brand playing off each other and Combs' comic turn is rightly praised. Some very unexpected touching moments, which at the same time didn't forget to be funny.
Old 10-04-10, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, this one caught me by surprise. I generally dislike Hill, Brand and Puff Daddy, but hell I found this movie to be pretty funny. Maybe it was the low expectations, but I enjoyed it.

I never though I would these four words, but "Sean Combs was awesome". He had me cracking up in his scenes.
Old 10-04-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was very funny. I had a blast watching this a couple of times a month or so ago.
Old 10-05-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Wow. I found this movie to be lacking in the humor and it was completely predictable. I didn't expect it to be awesome, but I was expecting it to be much funnier than it was. P Diddy was probably the highlight.
Old 10-14-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Wow. I found this movie to be lacking in the humor and it was completely predictable. I didn't expect it to be awesome, but I was expecting it to be much funnier than it was. P Diddy was probably the highlight.
Even that is too much praise for this crap...this is possibly one of the worst comedies I have ever seen for a mainstream release. I didn't laugh once and found both characters unlikeable and both needed to be punched in the face.
Old 10-14-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, unless you typically dislike the Apatow style comedies, I can't imagine someone would watch this and not laugh once. The humor seemed in line with all those other movies (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Sarah Marshall).
Old 10-14-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wow, unless you typically dislike the Apatow style comedies, I can't imagine someone would watch this and not laugh once. The humor seemed in line with all those other movies (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Sarah Marshall).
I thought 40 Year Old Virgin was mildly amusing and is the only Apatow film I have liked so far with the exception of Funny People (which of course is not funny). But I keep hoping...
Old 03-15-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched this on Sun after recording it off Max HD Sat night. Well, I should say I choked my way through the first hour before deleting it. I like Sarah Marshall, but this was so dreadfully unfunny it was painful. Not only was the plot retarded, but the acting was horrendous. Puff Daddy will never get that Oscar he so famously claimed was imminent; the guy sucks. Brand was mostly annoying, if anything. And Hill can't carry a film.
Old 03-15-11, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wow, so your expectation of a high level, well acted comedy with great plot fell short? I went in expecting some silly mindless fun and got just that. I'm not a fan of Hill ether, but I found him the most tolerable more so then even Superbad. And Brand does the same role as Sarah Marshall, so I'm not sure just how you thought he'd be in this. Diddy is just Diddy, not a great actor by any means, but he fit that role pretty well. For me, this was better than Sarah Marshall.
Old 03-15-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, truth be told I went in with low expectations because it didn't look all that great to begin with, but I thought it might surprise me.

To analogize using a film that's far out of this one's league: I went in hoping for Caddyshack, and I got Caddyshack 2.
Old 03-15-11, 02:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I can never go into any comedy these days and expect Caddyshack. Not even a Bill Murray comedy made today could reach that level.
Old 03-15-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
No, truth be told I went in with low expectations because it didn't look all that great to begin with, but I thought it might surprise me.

To analogize using a film that's far out of this one's league: I went in hoping for Caddyshack, and I got Caddyshack 2.
Your analogy is confusing. Maybe something along the lines of "I went in hoping for Caddyshack 2, and I got House Party 3"?
Old 03-15-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Weird, I'd say the humor was pretty much the same type and same level as Sarah Marshall. I can't see how someone would find this THAT unfunny after liking Sarah Marshall.
Old 03-15-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I can never go into any comedy these days and expect Caddyshack. Not even a Bill Murray comedy made today could reach that level.
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Your analogy is confusing. Maybe something along the lines of "I went in hoping for Caddyshack 2, and I got House Party 3"?
Yours is better. I only meant to say I went in expecting a good comedy and I got something almost unwatchable. Caddyshack was clearly a bad example since nothing contemporary comes close to that movie, but I stand by my Caddyshack 2 comparison.
Old 03-15-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Weird, I'd say the humor was pretty much the same type and same level as Sarah Marshall. I can't see how someone would find this THAT unfunny after liking Sarah Marshall.
The humor of Greek and Marshall may have been of the same type, but I think the players were the key difference between the two films. The cast of Marshall was gold. Segel, Bell, Kunis, and Brand were great.

Jonah Hill was good in his supporting role. But he bored me in Greek. So did everyone else, including Brand. The highlight was the opening sequence. The movie died soon after that.

--THX