Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Get Him to the Greek (Brand, Hill) >> June 4th, 2010

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Get Him to the Greek (Brand, Hill) >> June 4th, 2010

Old 05-21-10, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Get Him to the Greek (Brand, Hill) >> June 4th, 2010

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Saw the Vegas premiere of the film last night with Brand, Hill and Stoller in attendance (who also participated in a Q&A after the film).

I thought it was a funnier film than Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but the narrative structure is weak (and at times can be almost downright terrible). The heart and soul that Forgetting Sarah Marshall had is gone, but the trade-off is that we get a much funnier film. It's a hard juggling act, but as a straight forward comedy, I thought it was hilarious.

For those who haven't mentioned it yet, Diddy steals the show.

During the Q&A, Brand came off that he didn't want to be there with his body language; what tipped the scale is that he ripped some poor girl a new asshole when her question was that she wanted a picture with him as it was her friend's birthday. The girl probably felt like shit, but goddamnit, it was hilarious.
I was there as well, and I feel almost exactly the same way as you did in regards to the film. I think I like Forgetting Sarah Marshall slightly more but this was probably overall the funnier film. Sean "P Diddy" Combs really is the scene stealer of the movie though especially once the characters go to Vegas, but Brand really carried the movie and made Aldous Snow more real and rounded than he was in FSM. Jonah Hill was good but not great.

And you're right Russell Brand seemed annoyed but the whole birthday rant he went on was absolutely hilarious, and his comment about releasing an album of sea shantys was classic as well.
Old 05-21-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was excellent, so the comparisons to that have me interested in this now. Sounds like a good movie for me and my buddy to down a few drinks before catching
"Comparisons" seems like a weird word in an instance where the two movies being compared are spun off from one another. Since it's by the same people and features one of the same characters, I don't know that it's surprising that the two would be mentioned in the same breath.
Old 05-21-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
"Comparisons" seems like a weird word in an instance where the two movies being compared are spun off from one another. Since it's by the same people and features one of the same characters, I don't know that it's surprising that the two would be mentioned in the same breath.
Comparison as far as quality over content.
Old 05-24-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
Saw a trailer for this before "Date Night." After the trailer, I said to my wife, "I hope I never have to see this." I think I literally smelled the stink coming off the screen.
Are you sure that comment didn't come while you were watching Date Night?
Old 06-03-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Jamie (4.5/5): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44036...-to-the-greek/
Jason (4/5): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44038...-to-the-greek/
Me (3.5/5): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44019...-to-the-greek/

The one time I hedge my bets -- I worry about overrating movies -- and I end up on the bottom. Whatever. Don't look at the stars, read the words!
Old 06-03-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll admit that I loved Sarah Marshall, but Brand can be really annoying and I wasn't sure if I could stomach a whole film of him and Hill (whom I generally like). My gf doesn't want to see this, but I might go check it out with a buddy. Looks amusing enough, and the reviews here have swayed me to being definitely interested.
Old 06-04-10, 10:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I though the trailer was laugh-free and the movie looked pretty generic, but the positive reviews have caused me to rethink my stance.
Old 06-04-10, 01:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
This is a spin-off of Forgetting Sarah Marshall? It looks terrible.
I take it back. This movie was quite good fun, although not as funny or heartfelt as Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Still, Brand takes Aldous Snow to new places, and Hill is also good. Sean Combs steals the show, though. This is the movie to see this weekend.
Old 06-04-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post
sean combs steals the show, though. This is the movie to see this weekend.
Smiley face!
Old 06-04-10, 01:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I've never enjoyed anything Combs has done in my life, but he could have some traction as a comedian. And, by the way, I also gave it 3.5 stars, so it looks like we're agreeing a lot this weekend.
Old 06-04-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the fact that people are stating there is less heart but more funny, is good in my opinion... I prefer a straight up comedy so now Im really looking forward to this.
Old 06-04-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jonah Hill had a pretty funny interview on the Daily show, I think its worth watching

<td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'Jonah Hill
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
www.thedailyshow.com
<embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:309903' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed>
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party
Old 06-04-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kind of disappointed. I LOVED Forgetting Sarah Marshall and was really looking forward to this one since they announced it - but while there are some decent laughs along the way, overall, I'm fairly underwhelmed. The movie starts off great, lots of jokes and moves at a great pace.... but then the middle starts to sag a bit and we get some awkward 'serious' scenes and the movie sort of sputters to the finish.

I'm all for heart and even some serious moments mixed in with the comedy, but turning Aldous into a tragic sad clown type persona really goes against everything that made him likeable before - he's pretty much just a miserable bastard. There was a lot more humour to be mined with this concept and they really only scratched the surface with the comedy. This comment may discredit everything I'm saying, but I think MacGruber had bigger laughs than this did. Yes, Rose Byrne and Puffy are great and steal all their scenes. Yes, Hill and Brand have great chemistry and a lot of the laughs come from them playing off one another but there is something missing here that I can't quite figure out.

I wanted to love this movie, but as it stands, it was just 'not bad'. Some very decent moments but a lot of stuff that doesn't work and the uneven distribution of the laughs really kills the pace and makes it feel a lot more like work than fun. 3/5
Old 06-04-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This looks horrible and I really don't think I could sit through a movie with the both of them.
Quite surprised that it is getting good reviews as well.
Old 06-04-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it earlier today and while I did enjoy it and got a number of laughs out of it, I certainly wasn't blown away. The leads in this one are just so annoying to me, I'm not really a fan of either guy so I guess I can't say I'm shocked there.

It didn't help that I think my theater had the sound all screwed up. The big scene where a bunch of stuff was going on, if you've seen it you'll know what I mean, it just seemed very weird. I could hear music over it, but it was incredibly low. I felt more like I was watching them act live without any music or hardly any sound effects than I did feel like I was watching a scene in a movie. Is that how it was meant to be or was it, as I suspect, my theater? I felt like that all throughout the movie so I'm pretty sure they just had the sound screwed up.

A lot of the film just felt "off" for me as well, like something was missing. I'm not quite sure how to explain what I mean though. The pacing had a lot to do with it I think, but again, I'm not even sure how to explain how I feel exactly.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, this one offers up the laughs and it is a fine comedy. It just wasn't as solid as I was hoping it would be. And again, a lot of that may just be me not being the biggest fan of either guy in the first place.

Last edited by Brent L; 06-04-10 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw it with an almost packed theater earlier and the whole strip club scene with
Spoiler:
smoking the "jeffrey"
and
Spoiler:
Destiny and the dildo
had everyone just howling with laughter. The Today show scenes were hysterical. Rose Byrne is hot as hell. This was so much funnier than The Hangover.
Old 06-05-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
With the extreme fluctuations in Hill's weight, combined with his success at a very young age....not to be too morbid, but....does anyone have him on their "death pool"? I mean, think about it: Belushi. Candy. Farley. Kinison. Notice a pattern? Heavy-set "extreme" comedians tend to burn out quickly....one way or another.

That said (and that aside), I can't stand Hill. And I had no idea this was a sequel-of-sorts; in fact, the first mention I've heard of that has been here. Apparently these film-makers have dropped that particular ball (tie-in promotion).
Not really, because if you've seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall, it's obvious.
Old 06-05-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

With the extreme fluctuations in Hill's weight, combined with his success at a very young age....not to be too morbid, but....does anyone have him on their "death pool"? I mean, think about it: Belushi. Candy. Farley. Kinison. Notice a pattern? Heavy-set "extreme" comedians tend to burn out quickly....one way or another.
Three of your four examples were coke addicts, plus Kinison was actually killed in a car accident, which has nothing to do with his weight. Hill doesn't strike me as a drug addict...at least, not the speedball kind.
Old 06-05-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though I'm the the biggest fan of his, I was pleased to see Horatio Sanz drop all that weight for exactly the same fear as mentioned by you Lemmy. I have the same fear for Hill as well.
Old 06-05-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I never felt that way about Candy or farley either. Surprise!
Candy wasn't a drug addict, was he? He actually died of weight problems. If Candy had a drug thing, then all four of them were coke addicts.

As for Hill, his schtick isn't quite as dependent on him being high-energy as Belushi, Farley, or Kinison.
Old 06-05-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Candy was not a drug addict. I wish Horatio Sanz was though.
Old 06-05-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Candy was not a drug addict. I wish Horatio Sanz was though.
SO THAT'S HOW HORATIO SANZ GOT SKINNY!

I think you're onto something there.
Old 06-05-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 965 Likes on 780 Posts

I went to this last night and while I thought it had its share of funny moments I couldn't help but feel a little let down by it. Sean Combs was actually the highlight of the movie for me, I loved most of the scenes he was in. The scenes at The Today Show were also pretty funny. I just thought some points seemed to drag on a little during the middle and somewhat towards the end.
Old 06-05-10, 01:58 PM

This is how Horatio Sanz got skinny:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnRs1D0PZCE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnRs1D0PZCE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-05-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
Kind of disappointed. I LOVED Forgetting Sarah Marshall and was really looking forward to this one since they announced it - but while there are some decent laughs along the way, overall, I'm fairly underwhelmed. The movie starts off great, lots of jokes and moves at a great pace.... but then the middle starts to sag a bit and we get some awkward 'serious' scenes and the movie sort of sputters to the finish.
I agree 100%. I just got back from seeing this and while I enjoyed it for the most part and laughed quite a bit, it definitely got WAY too serious for this kind of movie. Trying to humanize Aldous was HUGE mistake IMO, it just totally stopped the film dead in its tracks. Also, I came to the sad realization that Jonah Hill is not going to be playing the Superbad-type characters that he has been playing up until this point in his career anymore. He is moving on and trying to become a more mature actor, and this saddens me a bit. He simply isn't as funny being a straight man than he is being a loud, obnoxious, foul-mouthed jerk. I respect him for trying to broaden his range and not be typecast, but the old Jonah Hill will be missed by me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.