Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
OMD essentially started with Marvel's Civil War in which the Superhuman Registration Act was passed which required all superhumans to register their identity and powers with the federal government. Spider-Man revealed that he is Peter Parker on live television.

Then Kingpin sent a sniper assassin to kill Peter at his home. Of course his spider-sense warned him to dodge the bullet, but Aunt May was in the path and she got shot instead. All of the greatest geniuses, such as Tony Stark and Reed Richards, could do nothing to save her.

So that leads into One More Day.

What did Spidey do? He made a deal with freaking Mephisto. Mephisto is essentially the devil in the Marvel universe, so he essentially made a deal with the devil to save Aunt May's life. The deal was that he would trade his marriage, and Mephisto would make it so that the marriage never happened at all, and in exchange Mephisto would restore Aunt May and also wipe out the knowledge of Spidey's secret identity from everyone so that essentially he never revealed his identity on live tv.

There was just so much wrong with OMD. First, Spidey would never never never make a deal with the devil no matter what. That is just so completely against his character. "With great power comes great responsibility..." Uncle Ben would be rolling in his grave. Instead of actually taking responsibility for his actions of revealing his identity to the world, he decides to take the easy way out. It also effectively erases 20 years of Spidey history because Mephisto didn't just undo the marriage, he made it so that it never happened in the first place. So Peter and MJ were never married at all period.

Later, Joe Quesada wrote "One Moment in Time" which revealed what actually happened on the day they were supposed to have been married. A fat guy fell on top of Spidey and knocked him out, causing him to miss his own wedding. I'm not even joking about that. Spidey, a guy who can withstand punches from the likes of Green Goblin and Doc Ock, is knocked unconscious when a regular ol' fat guy falls on him.
I read and liked Civil War for the most part. That storyline also culminated with the Death of Captain America if I recall, so looks like the fallout sucked for everyone. I remember hearing about the OMD story, I just didn't know its title. Lame way to solve things IMO.
Old 06-17-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of those have already been answered. Lizard doesn't have a snout because the design is based on the original Steve Ditko Lizard. Web-slinging at night I speculate is trying to be more "realistic" in the regard that criminals are more active at night, and also Peter is in school during the day anyway. Spider-Man's origin has always contained a deep dark secret. His parents were originally CIA spies in the comics. The change to scientist in the movie is actually an improvement in my opinion. It better explains why Peter is naturally gifted in science... like father like son.
I was basically just complaining. I don't really care about any of the answers. I think the Lizard looks stupid. I don't care what era the design came from if it looks like a shit baby. Make him look menacing, that's it. I suspect the web slinging during night primarily stems from trying to make him a bit like Batman since I guess because the last batman did great and the last spiderman didn't do as great. Also, with all due respect to Mr. and Mrs. Parker, I don't give a fuck what they did. There son is much more interesting. He's fucking Spiderman! It should be enough that PP is just smart. And I understand that in the comics all of that happened but comics come out on a steady schedule and they need to examine every aspect of Peter's life. Movies should have the luxury of cutting out the unnecessary crap like Peter's parents' background and just making an exciting movie. I'm dissapointed in what I've seen so far but I'm gonna see it anyway and for that, I hate myself.
Old 06-17-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

A lot of those have already been answered. Lizard doesn't have a snout because the design is based on the original Steve Ditko Lizard.
I think it is less that than the need to animate the mouth because he has a good bit of dialogue as the Lizard. The snout would have complicated the animation because it would be extremely difficult to make that kind of assemblage look kosher delivering paragraphs of dialogue.
I was bummed to see the snout-less design as well, but at the same time I have a grasp on why it was necessary to go the other direction.
Old 06-17-12, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Also I don't mind the change to his face. Like it was said..it's the Ditko design. I do mind that we have a naked Lizard. Cuz you know..he's naked..and his penis is missing. I'm sorry...I don't mind that I go all superhuman Lizard. But the moment this change takes way body parts. yeah. I might fucking mind a bit.
Yeah, being naked is what really sucks, not the snout. Snout or no snout, its still the Lizard, but he should always have the labcoat. There was a screencap awhile back that showed him with the labcoat, and it looked infinitely better.

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Movies should have the luxury of cutting out the unnecessary crap like Peter's parents' background and just making an exciting movie.
To be fair, we don't really know how much screen time is actually devoted to all this backstory. It could just be a very brief part of the movie.
Old 06-17-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, we don't really know how much screen time is actually devoted to all this backstory. It could just be a very brief part of the movie.
Even if it's a minute, that's an extra minute taken away from Spiderman fighting Shit Baby. We could be having an awesome nut punch taken away from us because we need to know with every fiber of our beings that Peter's parents have a secret. And I'm totally joking about wanting to an awesome nut punch but at the end of the day, I'd prefer it.
Old 06-17-12, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter what though....i dislike the general design for Connors.

This is The Lizard:
The Lizard

The new design is such a departure from the classic design that it's hard to enjoy it. Not to mention the way the character is presented in the trailers and such. Seems like Doc Connors goes bad on his own and that it's him. And him alone being the reason to be bad. i LOVE that Connors had the greatest of ambitions and that it turned on him. And that this creature that came forth was his own. Just a savage creature w/ at times the mental reasoning of a man via Connors. A savage creature no matter what though.

i know that a lot of you guys are shitting all over this cuz it's not what you want. Whatever that is. i don't mind that Spidey works at night. That makes sense. I don't mind that he's having fun swinging around (that's always been Spidey). I don't mind that we have Gwen. Don't mind that he has web shooters. That's tons better than organic. It's actually neat that his parents were scientists and that that may have had an influence in him being a nerd and then creating the shooters.

I do mind that Connors is a literal bad guy now from what it seems. i do mind that for some reason Parker's parents matter to the origin. They don't matter. Even today...they don't matter much. It adds too much needless material.

No matter what though. i can't be that damn stupid to shit on something I haven't fully seen and/or won't allow some personal bias/taste to influence what I think it may be. I'm middle ground. I will watch the film hoping to be at least entertained and hoping it's good.
Old 06-17-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No matter what though....i dislike the general design for Connors.

This is The Lizard:
The Lizard

The new design is such a departure from the classic design that it's hard to enjoy it. Not to mention the way the character is presented in the trailers and such. Seems like Doc Connors goes bad on his own and that it's him. And him alone being the reason to be bad. i LOVE that Connors had the greatest of ambitions and that it turned on him. And that this creature that came forth was his own. Just a savage creature w/ at times the mental reasoning of a man via Connors. A savage creature no matter what though.

i know that a lot of you guys are shitting all over this cuz it's not what you want. Whatever that is. i don't mind that Spidey works at night. That makes sense. I don't mind that he's having fun swinging around (that's always been Spidey). I don't mind that we have Gwen. Don't mind that he has web shooters. That's tons better than organic. It's actually neat that his parents were scientists and that that may have had an influence in him being a nerd and then creating the shooters.

I do mind that Connors is a literal bad guy now from what it seems. i do mind that for some reason Parker's parents matter to the origin. They don't matter. Even today...they don't matter much. It adds too much needless material.

No matter what though. i can't be that damn stupid to shit on something I haven't fully seen and/or won't allow some personal bias/taste to influence what I think it may be. I'm middle ground. I will watch the film hoping to be at least entertained and hoping it's good.
Don't mind web shooters or Gwen either. Mind that we have to see the origin again so soon and that the parents are integral to his origin just like you. I detest the Lizard design and also agree with your assessment of Connors. He shouldn't be inherently evil but something that he feels bad about when he's not the Lizard. Kind of like the wolfman. But I feel defeated with a small twinge of hope.
Old 06-17-12, 01:09 PM
Banned

The new design is such a departure from the classic design that it's hard to enjoy it.
That's not the classic design... Classic Lizard was Ditko's Lizard.

Not to mention the way the character is presented in the trailers and such. Seems like Doc Connors goes bad on his own and that it's him. And him alone being the reason to be bad. i LOVE that Connors had the greatest of ambitions and that it turned on him. And that this creature that came forth was his own. Just a savage creature w/ at times the mental reasoning of a man via Connors. A savage creature no matter what though.
I do agree with this. Connors is supposed to be a good man. The Lizard persona is evil and becomes dominant when he transforms, but Connors himself is supposed to be good. Also, they are turning Captain Stacy against Spidey which is also completely against his character.

It's actually neat that his parents were scientists and that that may have had an influence in him being a nerd and then creating the shooters.

i do mind that for some reason Parker's parents matter to the origin. They don't matter. Even today...they don't matter much. It adds too much needless material.
I think this is one aspect of the movie that is borrowing more from the Ultimate universe than the main universe. Like mentioned earlier, in the main universe the parents were CIA spies. In the Ultimate universe, they were scientists working with SHIELD to recreate the super-soldier formula. Peter's father was also working on a new type of adhesive, and Peter found his notes and finished it, turning it into his web shooters. That's one thing the Ultimate universe did really well, because the technology behind the web fluid and shooters is beyond what a 15 year old kid could design on his own and having his father's help made for a better story.

And really I don't think his parents are going to matter too much in the movie. Peter finding his father's OsCorp ID card is likely what gets him to go to OsCorp so that it can lead to the event of him getting bitten by the spider. Perhaps he also finds notes for the new adhesive which he uses to create his web shooters. That's probably about all the parents will matter in the movie.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 06-17-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-17-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that the Lizard looks far better with the snout.
Old 06-17-12, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's not the classic design... Classic Lizard was Ditko's Lizard. .
you know what I meant. coats and clothes.
Old 06-17-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts of James Horner's "Amazing Spider-Man" score were put onto YouTube.

This is the opening cue, "Main Title / Young Peter":

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tvTG5uSZVm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is "Becoming Spider-Man" (notice the awesome, 'Rocketeer-like' brass bit near the end):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JHtJZhl-ZxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is "Lizard At School!", which was shown as a clip a short time back when Emma Stone was on The Tonight Show:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7LzaOFpIY-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit:

Just found out the rest of it is on YouTube now as well.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 06-17-12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-17-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

On a somewhat related note, I saw the Broadway show last night. Spidey swinging over the crowd and randomly webbing people was really cool. For the most part it followed the very general thread of the first movie. Lizard costume was pretty weird though!
Old 06-17-12, 09:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

First appearance of the Lizard (spoilered for size):

Spoiler:
Old 06-17-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I've not read the comics, I have to ask:

When Connors turns into Lizard and grows an arm, does he ever change back into a person and if so, what happens to the arm, does it stay?
Old 06-17-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Lizard just calls out superheroes 1000 miles away?

I'm guessing that is a coin Spidey is lowering to pay for the paper. Where does he keep loose change? Also pretty gross for the newspaper guy. Coin is covered with webbing and webbing is getting over all the other papers, ruining them all. Spiderman is a jerk. Spidey should have just swiped the paper and put it back when finished.
Old 06-17-12, 10:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
As I've not read the comics, I have to ask:

When Connors turns into Lizard and grows an arm, does he ever change back into a person and if so, what happens to the arm, does it stay?
Spoiler:
Old 06-17-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats

I'm guessing that is a coin Spidey is lowering to pay for the paper. Where does he keep loose change? Also pretty gross for the newspaper guy. Coin is covered with webbing and webbing is getting over all the other papers, ruining them all. Spiderman is a jerk. Spidey should have just swiped the paper and put it back when finished.

The webbing usually disintegrates in about an hour or so. Oddly enough though, Spider-man manages to get the webs off the paper he is reading with a few seconds.
Old 06-18-12, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Snake has a penis fetish I guess? I don't see iguanas or komodo dragons running around with their schlong rubbing against the ground as they walk.
Old 06-18-12, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
No. The Daily Bugle challenged Spidey to defeat a villain 1000 miles away. Not that it's much better.
Old 06-18-12, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
No. The Daily Bugle challenged Spidey to defeat a villain 1000 miles away. Not that it's much better.
And really its just Jonah issuing the challenge because he doesn't like Spidey and hopes Lizard kicks his ass.
Old 06-18-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
First appearance of the Lizard (spoilered for size):

Spoiler:
Looks like all lizard wanted was for people to stay off his turf. All he did was order them to leave and some a-hole takes a shot at him. Seems like his anger was/is justified and it would have been best for Spidey to leave him alone.
Old 06-18-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
As great as the concepts are, most of Stan's early stuff reads incredibly hokey today. This is just one example of many.
Old 06-18-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I would actually love a movie that played like an old comic in both story and dialogue. It would most likely bomb, but just to put things in perspective for people who think the material used to be better back in the day.
Old 06-18-12, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks like all lizard wanted was for people to stay off his turf. All he did was order them to leave and some a-hole takes a shot at him. Seems like his anger was/is justified and it would have been best for Spidey to leave him alone.
The guy who shoots reminds me of Jimbo from South Park. "Oh my god! It's coming right for us!" *BANG*

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
As great as the concepts are, most of Stan's early stuff reads incredibly hokey today. This is just one example of many.
Not to mention how wordy his writing was. One of Stan's pages had more text than ten pages of a modern comic.

All the 60s slang is especially hilarious to read. For example, "pussycat" was common slang back then and Aunt May being old and out of touch would always mistakenly say pussywillow instead.
Old 06-18-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why doesn't JJ Jameson have hatred for other heroes the same as he has for Spiderman? Seems once in a while he would put out a paper saying the Avengers are criminals. Guess Marvel characters didn't stray out of their series that much back then.

Also, I find it wierd that if all these heroes are in the same city, they don't really cross over much except for events. For example, Rhino could be trashing midtown & nothing stops him until Spiderman shows up. In reality, you'd think Avengers & FF would be alerted to this guy busting stuff & they'd go to stop him instead of waiting for Spiderman to take care of it since Rhino is Spidey's villian.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.