Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Not for real, that I'm aware of. There was a time when it was thought Richard Parker returned, but it turned out to be an aged clone of Peter himself.
Yeah, that happened during the Ultimate Clone Saga. Also there was a female clone of Peter that became the Ultimate version of Spider-Woman.
Old 03-03-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Interesting. I wonder if they'd use that angle in one of the sequels.

I just finished rewatching the movie and when Michael Massey asks Curt Connors
Spoiler:
"did you tell him the truth about his father?" Massey gestures to himself when he says "his father". So it is quite possible he's gonna be either Peter's dad gone nutso or some sort of clone perhaps.
Old 03-03-13, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.........let us never speak of clones and Spidey again.
Old 03-03-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
We're not talking Ben Reilly here.
Old 03-03-13, 03:16 PM
Banned

The Ultimate Clone Saga was actually a pretty decent story. The only thing about it I didn't particularly care for was how it turned Doc Ock into Magneto Jr. The rest of the story wasn't bad at all.
Old 03-03-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
it turned Doc Ock into Magneto Jr.
Explain, please.
Old 03-03-13, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Explain, please.
Doc Ock was the mastermind behind the Ultimate Clone Saga (unlike in the original universe where Jackal was the mastermind). In an earlier storyarc, Nick Fury had melted Doc Ock's arms in molten lava. The Ultimate Clone Saga revealed that it wasn't just those arms that Doc Ock could mentally control, but that he could mentally control all metal. So he was able to take scrap pieces of metal and forge them into new arms.

Old 03-03-13, 05:54 PM
Banned

That sounds like a crap development for him.
Old 03-03-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Can't be any worse than the current Doc Ock is now Peter Parker in the regular continuity.
Old 03-04-13, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Can't be any worse than the current Doc Ock is now Peter Parker in the regular continuity.
The Superior Spider-Man!

I'm not reading it. I haven't bothered to read Spider-Man comics in ages because they have continually ruined his character since the 1990s, but I keep up with what's going on through word of mouth.

Worse than Doc Ock as the new Spider-Man is that Peter is now a ghost. I wonder why he doesn't just go to Doctor Strange for help since Strange can see supernatural things like ghosts.
Old 03-04-13, 07:09 AM
Banned

I dunno. I really liked JMS/Romita run for the most part.

A lot of ups and downs these 10 years or whatever. But mostly middle ground at the very least for Spidey. Which isn't good for a character.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-04-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-04-13, 07:22 AM
Banned

I really liked JMS/Romita run for the most part.
JMS wrote Sins Past in which he turned Gwen Stacy into a whore getting knocked up by Norman Osborn.
Old 03-04-13, 10:27 AM
Banned

That wasn't with Romita Jr. though. I get what you're saying though.
Old 03-04-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The Superior Spider-Man!

I'm not reading it. I haven't bothered to read Spider-Man comics in ages because they have continually ruined his character since the 1990s, but I keep up with what's going on through word of mouth.
I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. The main thing in the storyline that sticks out to me is what a fuck up PP has been most of his life or, to put it an other way, what a mess the Spidey writers have made over the last 30 years. It's too bad Marvel doesn't have the balls to continue with the "Superior" SM.
Old 03-04-13, 01:35 PM

Here's the problem. Peter Parker should be about 67 years old by now but he's really in, what, his early 30s? He has been kept on an artificially static timeline age-wise but has still had over 50 years of events happen to him. This is how you get clones, un-maskings, weddings and then time reboots to erase things. What I think should happen is to have a running 25 or 30 year timeline. Have the characters develop and age somewhat realistically over a 25-30 year period (some compression can be allowed) and then reboot. This way you can have characters mature, get married, die, etc. and have a reasonable amount of events happen to them. If they want to bring back a dead character, just wait a few years for the reboot. We don't need clones or robots or the 20th stranger to happen across Norman Osborn's secret stash of pumpkin bombs and become some new variation on a goblin. You also don't have to contend with 60 years of continuity or sliding time scales. Having this limited but realistic timescale would paradoxically allow for "permanent" events that really affect the characters.
Old 03-04-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You basicaly want this character handled the way Dredd is handled (sans reboot).
Old 03-04-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Having this limited but realistic timescale would paradoxically allow for "permanent" events that really affect the characters.
That's all well and good, but for these big titles and major characters, there are too many cooks in the kitchen. No one wants to do the "Peter Parker is now in his 50s and getting too old for this shit" run of the book. They want him kicking ass and taking names. With all the crossovers, multiple books, and different artists, writers and execs, there will never be a "single" vision of a character like Spider-Man. He's just too big for something like that.
Old 03-05-13, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
That's all well and good, but for these big titles and major characters, there are too many cooks in the kitchen. No one wants to do the "Peter Parker is now in his 50s and getting too old for this shit" run of the book. They want him kicking ass and taking names. With all the crossovers, multiple books, and different artists, writers and execs, there will never be a "single" vision of a character like Spider-Man. He's just too big for something like that.
Maybe someone could do a limited run that tackles the full life of Peter Parker. Kind of how the Punisher MAX series tackled the story of Frank Castle with a definitive end after it was all over.
Old 03-05-13, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Maybe someone could do a limited run that tackles the full life of Peter Parker. Kind of how the Punisher MAX series tackled the story of Frank Castle with a definitive end after it was all over.
The MC2 universe.

Mary Jane was pregnant in the early 1990s, but at the end of the Clone Saga she apparently had a miscarriage (although it was actually Norman Osborn who stole the baby and ended up being an unresolved cliffhanger that has never resolved even to this day).

Tom DeFalco wrote an issue of "What if" where Mary Jane hadn't lost the baby. Peter and MJ were in their mid/late 40s, and Peter had lost one of his legs in the final battle with Norman Osborn (who stayed permanently dead after the end of the Clone Saga in this universe). Their teenage daughter had spider-powers since she had Peter's blood, and she became Spider-Girl.

That "What If" issue was so popular that DeFalco decided to create an entire universe out of it, and started the Spider-Girl ongoing series that lasted for a little over 100 issues.

That's about as close as we are ever likely to get to a middle-aged Peter Parker.
Old 03-05-13, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Dark Knight Returns was pretty interesting take on a superhero in his 50s getting too old for this shit but still kicking ass and taking names. Artists and authors get old as well and it might be an interesting challenge for them to incorporate their shifting worldviews into a character we've followed for 20 years or so. Plus, 25-30 years really isn't that long in the greater scheme of things. You can see a character go from 16 to 46, which is substantial for a life but still realistic for an audience to follow for that whole time. If they had started the reboot for the current continuity around the time of the early 90s collector boom we would just now be getting close to the end of the cycle.

Anyway, just an idea.
Old 03-05-13, 11:57 PM
Banned

The issue with aging someone like spider-man is that he's in monthly comics. That maintains the sliding continuity. You can't age something like that appropriately.
Old 03-06-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D7jtpy0lfBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-06-13, 10:01 AM

There was also fat Spider-Man from Earth X:
Old 03-06-13, 11:49 AM
Banned

The issue with aging someone like spider-man is that he's in monthly comics. That maintains the sliding continuity. You can't age something like that appropriately.
Another thing with monthly comics is that although the comic comes out once a month it certainly doesn't mean the hero only has that one and only adventure in that month.

For example, if Spider-Man fights Doc Ock in the January issue and then Venom in the February issue, it doesn't mean that a whole month has passed between those stories. Its more like a couple days.

Its even easier to see in today's comic industry where most stories are done in six issue arcs. A six issue arc would take six months in "real time" but its only a few days in "Marvel time."
Old 03-06-13, 03:19 PM

I allowed for some compression. There's also methods to shore up real time. You can also have some characters pre-existing (origins told in flashback) and then bring in "new" characters as needed.