Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity 2 (Greutert, October 2010)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paranormal Activity 2 (Greutert, October 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity 2 (Greutert, October 2010)

Yeah, looks like crap. Part of what was great about the first one is how small the initial hauntings were. Unless everything they've shown is from the last third of the film, it looks like subtlety is out the window.
Old 10-01-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like they're staying true to the set-up of the first one, so that already gives it an edge over the possible Blair Witch 2 syndrome. However, unlike Suprmallet, I hope everything they're showing is in the first two-thirds and hope the third-act is a fucking free for all... but, I do agree and it just doesn't look as good.

I'll be down for a midnight showing only (hopefully the free one if Vegas stays in the top twenty) to see the audience flip out again... considering its any good.
Old 10-18-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Free screenings on Wednesday night at midnight in the top 20 most demanded markets:

http://www.paranormalmovie.com/rsvp/
Old 10-18-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I can't say much more than this but a couple friends of mine have seen the film and they swear to me that it's awesome. Like, amazingly, catch-you-off-guard awesome.
Old 10-18-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Ok, I can't say much more than this but a couple friends of mine have seen the film and they swear to me that it's awesome. Like, amazingly, catch-you-off-guard awesome.
fuck. you mean i might have to actually see this now?
Old 10-18-10, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
How did they feel about the first film?
Old 10-18-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They both really enjoyed the first film, but they also saw it months before the hype hit. Trust me, I prodded them something fierce about the fact that 2 looks so shitty, but they promised I wouldn't be disappointed.
Old 10-18-10, 12:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless it's a musical, I highly doubt it will catch me off guard.
Old 10-18-10, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lines start forming at 4pm? fuck that...not worth my time.
Old 10-18-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Unless it's a musical, I highly doubt it will catch me off guard.

Now that would be something to catch audiences off guard. I almost wish a movie advertised as a spook-fest would turn out to only be that way in the frosting, and contain something like this in the center.

I really disliked the first film. I just didn't find it scary in the slightest.

I'm curious though as to how this second one does box-office wise.

If it performs well, I do believe we may have another scary movie series for every Halloween for the next few years... so I'm wondering as to whether or not people will buy into the marketing for this film or not.
Old 10-21-10, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to state that Paranormal Activity 2 is a complete failure, but it's an interesting failure to say the least. There are portions of the film that seem good on paper, but the execution is pretty terrible.

When it comes to making sequels to films that were not expected to be hits, we know:

1. Lightening doesn't strike twice.
2. The ante needs to be upped.

Paranormal Activity 2 is a sequel that tries to repeat what made the first film successful while adding layers to the mythology of the first and trying to go a bit further. Guess what Paramount? You're not Lionsgate with the Saw franchise; whereas the Saw franchise has done a stellar job at creating mythology without creating gaping holes within the story's continuity. [There's some continuity issues, they're just not large enough to fit a 747 through like this one.]

The film takes place before, during and after the events of the first. How does it do that? By taking place in the home of Katie's sister with her husband, step daughter and brand new child (the film flash forwards to when the child is of suitable age to be terrorized by demons). In this entry we will find out why Micah is obsessed with that camera he purchased and more on how Katie and her sister were terrorized as children. The only problem with this? Most of where the "shit gets real" is done prior to the events of the first. This creates a big gaping plot hole as why any of this mentioned in the first film? You think Katie mentioning her sister being recently terrorized by a demon is a big piece of information to leave out. However, this isn't the first time in this film the crew treats the audience like they're morons.

Up until about 45-50 minutes of the film's 85 minute runtime, we're treated to a rehash of Paranormal Activity. Switching back to day and night scenes, loud noises are heard and things move in the dark. Things that were scary in the first film as they were new and the slow burn then was effective. It's not effective when we've already been through the territory before. Hurry it the fuck up and let's move on, shall we?

By time the fun starts occurring, it happens way too soon. The film blows its load way too quickly on some genuinely frightening sequences such as:

Spoiler:
- The infant floating out of his bed.
- The kitchen "explosion."
- The dog getting attacked.
- Katie's sister getting tossed around the house like a rag doll.
- The whole home made "exorcism" sequence.

All of those sequences happen before the film reaches its conclusion, which is pretty lackluster.

Spoiler:
Katie comes over after killing Micah, kills her sister and husband, takes the baby and runs. That entire segment of the film takes as long as it just took you to read my spoiler. Oh yeah, the teenage girl happens to be mysteriously absent from these proceedings by being away on a school trip.

With that, we have our entry made for Paranormal Activity 3.

I'd like to point out that it took three writers to work on this film. I'm assuming all three of them are mentally retarded if it took three writers to churn out this. Greutert should be thanking Lionsgate up and down that he dodged a bullet by getting pulled to work on the next Saw.

Most of the audience didn't seem to appreciate this movie, probably less than I did based upon their reactions (a lot of applauding for the pool cleaner's numerous appearances --- you'll see what I mean if you watch the movie).

As someone who loved the original, I'm severely disappointed with this sequel. However, why should I be sad? I'll hopefully get to see a decent sequel next week with Saw 3D!

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 10-21-10 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Boobs.

I thought the first one was pretty weak, but I actually enjoyed the way this one incorporated the first and answered some of the shit from the first.

The audience was eating it up at my screening. So your mileage will vary, I suppose.

oh yeah.. Boobs.
Old 10-21-10, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are we talking about Katie in the bikini or the brief nipple slip from Katie's sister in the bath tub?

I don't think there were any "questions" that needed to be cleared up from the first other than what happened to Katie after killing Micah. Nothing in this film delivered any of the mythology in a manner that would make it seem interesting.
Old 10-21-10, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, I felt the exact opposite. I was thoroughly pleased by the sequel and all of its developments. It's slow to start and the epilogue's kinda obvious, yeah, but I liked it more than the original.
Old 10-21-10, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt the original was more effective by being straight forward, this one was very "scattershot."

Spoiler:
The "three weeks later" moment that sets us up right into the events of the first film, while cool, kills the momentum for what the ending has to deliver.
Old 10-21-10, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

So far it's 2-1, Matthew. I liked it. And that's saying a lot considering I really though the first one suffered pacing issues.

I thought this one did a better job with the pacing. Yes, we got a couple of rehashed noise and bullshit from the first one, but I think they bumped it up a good couple of notches. Fleshing out things like the picture and the why of the first film was a pretty nice nod.

Tod Williams, the director, does the "invisible force fucks with a family" scenes a lot better than Oren Peli. I think that while it's the same sort of scares, it was two different styles and I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than I did the first.
Old 10-21-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Fleshing out things like the picture and the why of the first film was a pretty nice nod.
I will still argue that this is "forced" progression.

Someone (I forget where) used REC 2 as an example, which I would state is The Godfather II of the found footage genre. REC 2 is an example of "natural" progression occurring, by jumping into the events of REC right where it left off and upping the ante right out the gate (if REC is Alien, REC 2 is Aliens). Nothing ever feels forced in terms of adding upon the mythology created in the first because the filmmakers aren't intentionally calling out things brought up in the first for sake of moving the story forward.

I feel the references to the photo, the camera, etc. seemed good on paper (which I referenced in my first post), but the progression is "forced." If you think it works, congratulations; unfortunately, I've seen enough sequels and particularly horror sequels to know that it doesn't work. It creates plot holes within the first film now based upon the knowledge we learn in this entry (if Micah was in part of a discussion with Katie's sister about her being "haunted," why isn't this nugget mentioned anytime during the first?). That's also known as lazy and poor filmmaking.

Going back, I remember when the rumor plot lines of the sequel were going to involve a family moving into the house of Micah and Katie where the demons (and Katie) haunt the new family. I feel that would've been a better idea.
Old 10-21-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It creates plot holes within the first film now based upon the knowledge we learn in this entry (if Micah was in part of a discussion with Katie's sister about her being "haunted," why isn't this nugget mentioned anytime during the first?). That's also known as lazy and poor filmmaking.
This definitely bugs me a little, but not nearly enough to be any kind of dealbreaker. There are similar tiny holes in the Saw franchise.
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Going back, I remember when the rumor plot lines of the sequel were going to involve a family moving into the house of Micah and Katie where the demons (and Katie) haunt the new family. I feel that would've been a better idea.
I disagree. I don't think that'd be enough of a connection to the original, and those connections, above all, were what made this enjoyable for me.
Old 10-21-10, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

86% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Color me surprised. Loved the first, and most reviews point to this one being even better in every way. I cannot freaking wait to see this.
Old 10-21-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'll be seeing this tomorrow at a $4 matinee
Old 10-21-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Going to go and try to see this on Saturday.

There are two showings locally tonight at 10pm and Midnight, but I don't feel like staying up.
Old 10-22-10, 12:50 AM

Definitely not as good as the first one. There are some effective scenes, all of which have already been mentioned, but aside from creating plot holes, I just didn't care for where this one tried taking the story of the first.

Spoiler:
The asshole husband sends the demon to Katie to save her sister and his son? No, sorry, not in my book. In the first, the demon's intentions are painted as almost romantic towards Katie. Also, the way she describes her past experiences there, it's clear to me that the events as a kid happened to her. In this one, they try and say her sister suffered the brunt of the situation. That's a far more intriguing situation to me than some cliche deal with the devil, demonic Rumplestiltskin kind of thing this one has going on.

That said, looking at this one as strictly non-canon, it's a solid film. I prefer the slit-throat ending of the first anyway. This just doesn't work in connection to the first for me, and I didn't think it was as strong on it's own either. The only thing this one has over the first is Katie in a bikini.
Old 10-22-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this tonight, and while I still won't say it's a great movie, it was way creepier than the first. I didn't jump once on the first, I jumped out of my seat 2 feet at least twice in this one. I kind of liked it honestly, and liked this way better than the first.
Old 10-22-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, what glass said. There are def. some jump out your seat moments. I just didn't like the ending
Old 10-22-10, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by J. Farley
Definitely not as good as the first one. There are some effective scenes, all of which have already been mentioned, but aside from creating plot holes, I just didn't care for where this one tried taking the story of the first.

Spoiler:
The asshole husband sends the demon to Katie to save her sister and his son? No, sorry, not in my book. In the first, the demon's intentions are painted as almost romantic towards Katie. Also, the way she describes her past experiences there, it's clear to me that the events as a kid happened to her. In this one, they try and say her sister suffered the brunt of the situation. That's a far more intriguing situation to me than some cliche deal with the devil, demonic Rumplestiltskin kind of thing this one has going on.

That said, looking at this one as strictly non-canon, it's a solid film. I prefer the slit-throat ending of the first anyway. This just doesn't work in connection to the first for me, and I didn't think it was as strong on it's own either. The only thing this one has over the first is Katie in a bikini.

Did you miss the part where they hinted that the demon's intention was
Spoiler:
to collect the debt of the first born male? More than likely the demon's been hanging around both Katie and Kristi. Especially when they were young as he was getting impatient waiting for a first born male.

Then you have Kristi having a son and it's coming back in full force.

While the story does seem like it's done by patch work, just sitting back and accepting it in an absurd level, even the whole notion of what the dad's plan based on illegal nanny/help suggest is something I could buy.

I love how you treat this like it's Star Wars and as if the first is some holy grail and not some really poorly paced film. Oh, heaven forbid you allow this sequel to tarnish the magic of the first one...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.