Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity 2 (Greutert, October 2010)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TWIST!

Saw VI director and Saw 1-5 editor Kevin Greutert directing Paranormal Activity sequel for Paramount.

Paranormal Activity notoriously dethroned the Saw franchise -- in fact, the one Greutert directed -- last year on Halloween. Now Greutert is going to try to be finished in time to knock down former co-conspirator David Hackl's seventh (and perhaps final) 3D-enhanced Sawstallment.

I'm not sold on the idea of a Paranormal Activity sequel, least of not because there will presumably be less Katie Featherston, but this news is interesting, to say the least. Michael R. Perry, who had a screenplay on The Black List this year, is writing, and the original writer/director, Oren Peli, who is producing, says "these guys get it."

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-...aw-vi-director

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-19-10 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paranormal Activity 2 (Greutert, October 2010)

Can't we get Kevin Greutert to end the Saw series on a hopeful high note and David Hack to do the sequel nobody demanded in the first place?
Old 01-19-10, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I predict this is going to be just as good as Blair Witch 2.
Old 01-19-10, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Starring Jeffrey Donovan?
Old 01-19-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Considering that PA1 was the worst film I'd seen in a theater I'll bet you're 100% correct.
Old 01-19-10, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
Exactly what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Considering that PA1 was the worst film I'd seen in a theater since the remake of "The Fog", I'll bet you're 100% correct.
The Fog was bad. I watched it a few days ago for the first time, and what a total piece of crap.
Old 01-19-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Horrendous idea on every conceivable level.
Old 01-19-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Horrendous idea on every conceivable level.
Agreed, but the studio doesn't see it that way. Paramount just thinks they've got a new franchise to milk. (and FWIW I liked PA 1)
Old 01-19-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, but see...what if we take the original, replace all the boring stuff with loud music cues and fake out boo scares? Maybe even have somebody close a vanity mirror and show someone behind them. Or have a cat jump out of a closet to screechy violins or something. Oh yeah, and lots and lots of CGI that shows EVERYTHING this time? How could that possibly fail?
Old 01-19-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions. Like it says in the OP, the original writer/director, Oren Peli, who's making a movie for Paramount as well (Area 51) says these guys know what they're doing. It may turn out to be a piece of crap, but I don't expect it to be a drastic departure in tone or style from the original. I mean, the guy clearly cares about his movie, he stuck by it for three years until he finally got to see it become a success. I doubt he's just selling the integrity of it up the river, even if Paramount is.
Old 01-19-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think you guys are jumping to conclusions. Like it says in the OP, the original writer/director, Oren Peli, who's making a movie for Paramount as well (Area 51) says these guys know what they're doing. It may turn out to be a piece of crap, but I don't expect it to be a drastic departure in tone or style from the original. I mean, the guy clearly cares about his movie, he stuck by it for three years until he finally got to see it become a success. I doubt he's just selling the integrity of it up the river, even if Paramount is.
"They know what they're doing?" He made a nice little mint for Paramount, some of which he received, and he's producing the film. What the fuck else would he say? If ever film that a producer said is "going great" or "these guys know what they're doing" was good, we'd be knee-deep in fucking classics.
Old 01-19-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Let's not forget that Blair Witch 2 was directed by Joe Berlinger who I had some faith in after directing Paradise Lost.
Old 01-19-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
"They know what they're doing?" He made a nice little mint for Paramount, some of which he received, and he's producing the film. What the fuck else would he say? If ever film that a producer said is "going great" or "these guys know what they're doing" was good, we'd be knee-deep in fucking classics.
Well, the point was more that he stuck by the other one for three years. Most movies, when they fail, that's the end of the road. He kept the faith for quite a long time and it paid off. I don't think he's just going to sell out on what was presumably a labor of love.

There are also "good spin" ways to say that they'd be changing the tone of the movie, like "he's taking the franchise in a whole new direction" and "fans of the original are in for a shock, but I think they'll like what they've come up with" and blah, blah, blah.
Old 01-19-10, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Paranormal Activity 2: Normal Activity

Synopsis: A fearsome demon from the depths of hell is haunted by a boring, whiny woman from San Diego. Original director Oren Peli will executive produce.
Old 01-19-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paranormal Activity 2: Supernatural Boogaloo
Old 01-20-10, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
From Kevin Greutert's site:
Never, EVER, mention “Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows” in my presence, lest I cease all diplomatic relations with you forthwith.

That is all.

Thank you!

–Kevin
Old 01-20-10, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
From Kevin Greutert's site:
Yeah. Going out on another limb here, I'm certain everyone involved with bringing Paranormal Activity 2 into being will be thinking about Blair Witch 2. Even if Paranormal 2 is a piece of crap, I strongly doubt its ultimate brand of suckage will be anything similar to Blair Witch: Book of Shadows.
Old 01-26-10, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy shit, Kevin Greutert has just been stolen away from Paranormal Activity 2 and is now directing Saw VII.

And you thought the Halloween II / The Final Destination battle was good.... the war between Paramount Pictures and Lionsgate has officially begun - and it's positioning itself to be EPIC. As many of you know, Saw VI director Kevin Greutert was attached to get behind the camera for Paranormal Activity 2. Paramount furthered the attack by placing the sequel head-to-head with Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures' Saw VII 3D on October 22. If last year was any indication, Paranormal definitely had the upper hand in the competition, a battle that hadn't really begun until now. Lionsgate has thrown a VIOLENT blow back at Paramount by exercising an option that has forced Greutert to head back to Toronto for the seventh Saw film instead of showing off his talents in Paranormal 2. It wasn't his decision as he's now officially a casualty of war. David Hackl on the other hand, he'll be moving over to an unnamed Lionsgate project (thank God). Want more? Read on. Talk, talk, talk, talk, TALK. OMFG.
full story:
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/new...Horror+News%29

From Kevin's site:
(I was told that my metaphor describing my feelings right now was in excessively poor taste, so let’s just say I’m pissed.)
Saw VII starts shooting February 1

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 01-26-10 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is ridiculous, but highly amusing. Now the big question is: will Greutert's Saw VII 3D smell like sour grapes?

EDIT: I wrote a blog post about it: http://the-following-preview.blogspo...play-game.html

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-26-10 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh snap! I wonder how the final chapter for Saw will turn out now that Greutert will be directing angry?
Old 01-26-10, 10:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh man, what drama! Which useless sequel will suffer more for this pointless decision?
Old 01-26-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Good news. Fuck PA2.
Old 01-26-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Sounds good, now PA2 just needs to go away.
Old 01-26-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not only that, but Saw 7 is 2 weeks away from shooting. The sets, casting, script rewrites, etc...it's all David Hackl's stuff. Greutert is being called in to direct from this point, but his input hasn't been on the project at all until now. He has to work with what they have set up to be filmed. Kinda sucks for him. Kinda sucks for Hackl as well, seeing as how his twitter from 2 days ago indicates that he had no idea this was happening to him until yesterday.
Old 01-26-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or how about have both Hackl and Greutert direct? Or give one director credit and the other producer credit? Or whatever?

Hackl can make it look pretty and Greutert can make it coherent. Boom. We're done.

It sucks as after watching Saw VI that Greutert should've been in the director's seat for VII regardless, but having him there due to this circumstance sucks and we may not get the best out of him. Whatever the case might be, it shows that Lionsgate may be questioning the quality of VII if they're making such a play at the last minute. VII would probably kick PA2's ass based-off backlash that PA is getting from people discovering it on video (and hating it) and that VII would be in 3-D.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-26-10 at 11:32 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.