Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roman Polanski arrested

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roman Polanski arrested

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

How about a cell next to Manson...
Old 09-27-09, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like Chinatown and The Pianist, never seen the others sadly..though they will be seen at some point. Regardless of what the victim now says...I still think he has to be punished for his crimes. Heralded director or not...a rapist is a rapist.
Old 09-27-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
How about a cell next to Manson...
You just stumbled onto the greatest idea for a reality TV show... ever.

They can call it "Charlietown".

"Forget it, Roman. It's Charlietown"
Old 09-27-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Do you know which actor/doctor? I'm not disputing your assertion, I just couldn't find anything googling this topic.
I don't remember, sorry. On a commentary track or a featurette (on the Cruising DVD possibly?) Freidkin mentions this. Wish I could be more specific.
Old 09-27-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'm gracefully bowing out of this discussion because posters are not reading the details of statements made, mine especially.

I chose to boycott his films for a very specific reason, of which this is not the appropriate venue to go into detail. I'm a victim, and though I don't play that as a "card" I choose not to spend my time with a man (though only artistically) that reminds me of a big chunk of my childhood I'd rather forget completely. Sure, if I never knew any of this, I would be none-the-wiser. But since I do know the details, and have researched the mater extensively, I can't help that I feel a sense of what I felt many years ago. It's just a mental thing for me. As I stated before, a personal decision. My boycott is not a blatant statement of support for the legal system. It's my own thing. I guess it's my mistake for sharing.

Thanks to those that do get it. No hard feelings toward anyone.
Yes but there is another end of the spectrum too, while your connection/thoughts to Polanski brings up bad memories, mine is one in which I connect so totally with the work that I feel less alone in this world .. there are only a handful of other film directors I feel this with...

However we have to find a middle ground, he is not the kind of pervert that did this over and over in their life, in fact he has led a peaceful and productive life since then and even won an oscar. So if I was the judge then maybe I would have the profits he would get from his new movie The Ghost, be given to an organization who tracks down real perverts/molesters off the internet

This way we can have something good brought out from something bad. anything else would just be a spectacle and would be pointless, there are real sick criminals out there who need to be removed from society because they are only about destruction, I know Polanski is not one of them, even though his work is very dark, it is also both spiritual and healing.
Old 09-27-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Hope this scumbag serves time...

And I was never a fan of his films anyway, except for "Chinatown".
Then I guess the word 'never' doesn't apply.
Old 09-27-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing that's interesting about the case is Polanski had a plea bargain agreement back in '77/'78 but then only fled after the judge on the case was apparently going to reject the agreement. A different judge on the case accepting the plea bargain back then and this whole thing could've been over long ago.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out now. (And Polanski should at least be glad, based on this recent news story, that his other home country of Poland is not after him.)
Old 09-27-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
One thing that's interesting about the case is Polanski had a plea bargain agreement back in '77/'78 but then only fled after the judge on the case was apparently going to reject the agreement. A different judge on the case accepting the plea bargain back then and this whole thing could've been over long ago.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out now. (And Polanski should at least be glad, based on this recent news story, that his other home country of Poland is not after him.)
I wonder if they'll try to extradite him back to Poland for punishment?
Old 09-27-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

haha, sucker!
Old 09-27-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I don't remember, sorry. On a commentary track or a featurette (on the Cruising DVD possibly?) Freidkin mentions this. Wish I could be more specific.
Not a problem NoirFan. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-27-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

About time they got that odd-looking Jewish foreigner.
Old 09-27-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I wonder why it is that it's ok for certain people to sleep with minors, but not others?

I've never heard anyone suggest boycotting Elvis Presley for sleeping with a 14 year old. I've never heard people calling for Jerry Lee Lewis' incarceration even though he knocked up his 13 year old cousin. We're talking incestuous child molestation, but he was a handsome rock n' roller and somehow it's ok.

But an odd-looking Jewish foreigner does it and people go crazy.

I bet half of you guys in here secretly applaud when it's a pretty 40 year old woman and a 13 year old boy. ("Lucky kid!") Double-standards all around.
That's it, its racism! I knew there was a reason why I disapproved of his child raping ways, I hate Jews. Thank you.

In any of those cases you mentioned (Elvis, Lewis, hot MILF teacher) did they drug and forcibly sodomize their underage victims against their will, despite being begged not to? Just curious.
Old 09-27-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Then I guess the word 'never' doesn't apply.
Old 09-28-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BJacks
Who cares if he spent 42 days in jail already? Drugging, sodomizing and raping a minor should get you years.
+1 If the guy didn't make movies, what do you think would happen? You really think people would say maybe it's best to put this behind us? It'll be interesting if he serves hard time... his crime is not too well looked upon in the prison system and he might be catching instead of pitching.

Plexico Burress just got 2 years for carrying a gun that was not licensed in the state of NY... I fail to see how drugging sodomizing and raping a minor + fleeing the jurisdiction should not get substantially more than that... is sodomizing a minor not as bad as say carrying an unlicensed gun?
Old 09-28-09, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wirefan
Plexico Burress just got 2 years for carrying a gun that was not licensed in the state of NY...
Bonus points for having the name "Plexico."

EDIT: NoirFan pointed out that it is "Plaxico," so minus points to wirefan. I was considering "Plexico" for my firstborn child, imagining a giant multinational plexiglass conglomerate in my bloodline's future. My dreams are shot.

Last edited by Cheato; 09-28-09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
is sodomizing a minor not as bad as say carrying an unlicensed gun?
It's sad that we live in a world where such a question needs to be asked. I understand that he settled with the girl and that she wants to put the past behind her but he still needs to answer to his crime. If not, all a rapist need do is throw cash his victim's way and live free to rape again.
Old 09-28-09, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yeah, that's the main reason Polanski fled - not because he wasn't willing to serve time, but because the judge was about to double cross him.

That said, Polanski should serve some kind of sentence...but does anyone consider him a danger to society? I'm not condoning what he did, but only those with an American mindset of "justice" would want to see this man put away for the rest of his life. I say give him the sentence he was originally supposed to get (as part of the plea) and give him another year on top of that for fleeing the States, and be done with it.
Old 09-28-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cheato
Bonus points for having the name "Plexico."
Though it's actually Plaxico.
Old 09-28-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
What disgusts me, is I've heard people say Polanski deserves extra sympathy for what he did because he's a Holocaust survivor.
I've never heard a single person say this. Ever. Not even once.
Old 09-28-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/28/...ted/index.html

The French culture and communications minister, Frederic Mitterrand, said he "learned with astonishment" of Polanski's arrest. He expressed solidarity with Polanski's family and said "he wants to remind everyone that Roman Polanski benefits from great general esteem" and has "exceptional artistic creation and human qualities."
Old 09-28-09, 08:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For those who don't get why the French are defending this guy, imagine how Americans would feel if he were a pro football player, and I think you'll understand.
Old 09-28-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
For those who don't get why the French are defending this guy, imagine how Americans would feel if he were a pro football player, and I think you'll understand.
Like everyone stood by Michael Vick? And he was only sodomizing dogs.
Old 09-28-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
You mean like OJ Simpson?
Old 09-28-09, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I've never heard a single person say this. Ever. Not even once.
Yeah...I think him raping a girl goes beyond that. I don't think him being a holocaust survivor can ever make a person pity him for his act of rape.
Old 09-28-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah...I think him raping a girl goes beyond that. I don't think him being a holocaust survivor can ever make a person pity him for his act of rape.

I don't pity the guy in the slightest.

Do I think what he did was wrong? Yes

Should he be punished? Most definitely

Do I agree with the way they have stretched this out over 30 years and how they have all of a sudden decided to handle it? No. I think if they had really wanted the guy, they should have jumped through all of the necessary hoops long ago to get him extradited back when all was relevant. Also, he wasn't fleeing because he didn't see what he did was wrong, he fled because he plead guilty, had his attorneys reach a settlement, and then learned he was going to get the shaft despite earlier negotiations.

I agree with what the earlier poster said, have him serve the time they agreed to before the judge reneged and be done with it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.