Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roman Polanski arrested

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roman Polanski arrested

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 474 Likes on 265 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

After watching Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, my feelings have changed somewhat about his flight from justice. I still think he did the wrong thing by fleeing, but I understand better why he did. I also had no idea that he had already spent some time behind bars under psychiatric supervision (42 days).

I think this arrest may be the best thing for everyone involved as it may finally give some closure to these events.
Old 09-27-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares if he spent 42 days in jail already? Drugging, sodomizing and raping a minor should get you years.
Old 09-27-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
He boycotts Polanski films because of the director's criminal activities. I was wondering if he avoided all films that featured directors, actors, producers, caterers, etc. who had committed violent crimes. Naked Gun and O.J. might not have been the best example, since he was only found guilty in a civil court, but it was the first that popped into my mind. I'm sure others can come up with the hundreds of other examples. Here's a better example: One of the doctors in the original Exorcist was convicted of murder - would he avoid watching the film because of this?
I have an idea. List out 1000 different crimes, from least significant to most significant, and then list out 100 or so different jobs working on a movie, and then you can ask Dick Laurent to draw the lines and map out his beliefs. I'm sure it's there's a curve somewhere between a Key Grip committing genocide and a producer getting a parking ticket.

Because after all, it's impossible to simply make a single judgment. We all have to have policies that are consistent across the board and ask "what if" in a thousand different ways before arriving at an opinion. And then it has to be absolute, all-or-nothing, or justifiable why it isn't.

That is exactly the point DL was trying to make, right?

Or, we could just say "Roman Polanski drugged and raped a 13-year old girl and then fled from the U.S. justice system, and now he's finally been caught." And maybe some people feel a little strongly about the fact that he drugged and raped a 13-year old girl, so they don't want to support his career. I don't think "watching Naked Gun" as "supporting O.J. Simpson" is in the same ballpark. Maybe you do. Whatever.

Last edited by Cheato; 09-27-09 at 02:19 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 09-27-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 474 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
Who cares if he spent 42 days in jail already? Drugging, sodomizing and raping a minor should get you years.
I only mentioned that as I always thought he fled the country as to avoid any responsibility for the crime. I never said that should be the full extent of his punishment.
Old 09-27-09, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I only mentioned that as I always thought he fled the country as to avoid any responsibility for the crime. I never said that should be the full extent of his punishment.
Ah, gotcha.
Old 09-27-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cheato
And maybe some people feel a little strongly about the fact that he drugged and raped a 13-year old girl, so they don't want to support his career.
Hey, why don't we boycott all of Led Zeppelin albums? Jimmy Page drugged and raped dozens of 13-year old girls - where's the outcry there?
Old 09-27-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

It took them this dang long? What he did was wrong, but I think if they REALLY wanted him they would have done something to get him extradited more swiftly than waiting 30+ years.
Also, if the victim has forgiven him and wants it all behind them, they should respect her wishes.

Say what you will, what he did does not detract from his film making abilities, past or present.
Old 09-27-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if this will affect the release of The Ghost next year.
Old 09-27-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

What disgusts me, is I've heard people say Polanski deserves extra sympathy for what he did because he's a Holocaust survivor.
Old 09-27-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
What disgusts me, is I've heard people say Polanski deserves extra sympathy for what he did because he's a Holocaust survivor.
Or because his wife was butchered. Both ridiculous defenses.
Old 09-27-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Or because his wife was butchered. Both ridiculous defenses.
Not defenses, mitigating circumstances. There's a difference.
Old 09-27-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'm reminded of the SNL skit in which a drunken, belligerent Horatio Sanz is allowed to destroy an entire apartment because his parents were eaten by bears.
Old 09-27-09, 03:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That was a skit? I thought that was just Horatio Sanz.
Old 09-27-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 202 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
could it possibly the combination of Polanski's crime and the fact that he evaded capture for 30+ years by living in a country that doesn't extradite?
France absolutely does extradite. They don't extradite for the specific crime that Polanski plead guilty to: "unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor" which presumably doesn't translate to an extraditable felony under French law (not 100% percent sure what it was under California law -- anyone remember the exact details?)
Old 09-27-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov
France absolutely does extradite. They don't extradite for the specific crime that Polanski plead guilty to: "unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor" which presumably doesn't translate to an extraditable felony under French law (not 100% percent sure what it was under California law -- anyone remember the exact details?)
what does that matter? if they extradite or not, they didn't for this specific crime, and that's all that matters.
Old 09-27-09, 04:49 PM

Received 229 Likes on 152 Posts

I think Polanski has already suffered enough. Fer chrissakes, he was in Rush Hour 3.
Old 09-27-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts

He has made some good movies, but he is a fugitive from justice. This would have been over years ago but he made a conscious decision to run. Now we'll see.
Old 09-27-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the doctors in the original Exorcist was convicted of murder
Interesting.

Barton Heyman, Pete Masterson, Robert Symonds and Arthur Storch are the actors who portrayed the doctors in The Exorcist.

Do you know which actor/doctor? I'm not disputing your assertion, I just couldn't find anything googling this topic.
Old 09-27-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm gracefully bowing out of this discussion because posters are not reading the details of statements made, mine especially.

I chose to boycott his films for a very specific reason, of which this is not the appropriate venue to go into detail. I'm a victim, and though I don't play that as a "card" I choose not to spend my time with a man (though only artistically) that reminds me of a big chunk of my childhood I'd rather forget completely. Sure, if I never knew any of this, I would be none-the-wiser. But since I do know the details, and have researched the mater extensively, I can't help that I feel a sense of what I felt many years ago. It's just a mental thing for me. As I stated before, a personal decision. My boycott is not a blatant statement of support for the legal system. It's my own thing. I guess it's my mistake for sharing.

Thanks to those that do get it. No hard feelings toward anyone.
Old 09-27-09, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I dont condone sodomizing 13 year old girls Polanski's actions do not hinder my enjoyment of many of his films.
Old 09-27-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder why it is that it's ok for certain people to sleep with minors, but not others?

I've never heard anyone suggest boycotting Elvis Presley for sleeping with a 14 year old. I've never heard people calling for Jerry Lee Lewis' incarceration even though he knocked up his 13 year old cousin. We're talking incestuous child molestation, but he was a handsome rock n' roller and somehow it's ok.

But an odd-looking Jewish foreigner does it and people go crazy.

I bet half of you guys in here secretly applaud when it's a pretty 40 year old woman and a 13 year old boy. ("Lucky kid!") Double-standards all around.
Old 09-27-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I wonder why it is that it's ok for certain people to sleep with minors, but not others?

I've never heard anyone suggest boycotting Elvis Presley for sleeping with a 14 year old. I've never heard people calling for Jerry Lee Lewis' incarceration even though he knocked up his 13 year old cousin. We're talking incestuous child molestation, but he was a handsome rock n' roller and somehow it's ok.

But an odd-looking Jewish foreigner does it and people go crazy.

I bet half of you guys in here secretly applaud when it's a pretty 40 year old woman and a 13 year old boy. ("Lucky kid!") Double-standards all around.
I think it's the whole 'drugged and unwilling' thing. As far as I know The Killer and The King (now there's a movie title) had willing partners who didn't press charges.

Goes to show how morality, justice and personal feelings don't really transfer well from person to person.

Anyway, Polanski should do the time ...
Old 09-27-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hope this scumbag serves time...

And I was never a fan of his films anyway, except for "Chinatown".
Old 09-27-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
The Killer and The King (now there's a movie title)
Sounds like a remake of The Emperor and the Assassin.

But, yeah, the key difference is that he drugged the girl and she pleaded with him to stop despite her being drugged. So he was twice in the wrong.
Old 09-27-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
Tell that to R.Kelly!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.