DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Roman Polanski arrested (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/562167-roman-polanski-arrested.html)

Lone Wolf 09-27-09 07:09 AM

Roman Polanski arrested

It only took them 30 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/...rland_polanski

Director Roman Polanski was taken into custody, Swiss police confirmed Sunday, on a 1978 U.S. arrest warrant for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.

Polanski was flying in to receive an honorary award at the Zurich Film Festival when he was detained late Saturday at the airport, organizers at the festival said in a statement.

Zurich police spokesman Stefan Oberlin confirmed Polanski's arrest, but refused to provide more details because he said it was a matter for the Swiss Justice Ministry.

Ministry spokesman Guido Balmer declined to comment. Rudolf Wyss, the Justice Ministry deputy director, also declined to comment on the case. But he told The AP that Switzerland and the U.S. have an extradition treaty dating back to the 1950s that is still in force.

The Polish-born director fled the United States in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl.

The 76-year-old director of such classic films as "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby" has asked a U.S. appeals court in California to overturn a judges' refusal to throw out his case. He claims misconduct by the now-deceased judge who had arranged a plea bargain and then reneged on it.

Polanski has lived for the past three decades in France, where his career has continued to flourish. He received a directing Oscar in absentia for the 2002 movie "The Pianist."

Festival organizers said Polanski's detention had caused "shock and dismay," but that they would go ahead with Sunday's planned retrospective of the director's work.

The Swiss Directors Association sharply criticized authorities for what it deemed "not only a grotesque farce of justice, but also an immense cultural scandal."

A native of France who was taken to Poland by his parents, Polanski escaped Krakow's Jewish ghetto as a child and lived off the charity of strangers. His mother died at the Auschwitz Nazi death camp.

He worked his way into filmmaking in Poland, gaining an Oscar nomination for best foreign-language film in 1964 for his "Knife in the Water." Offered entry to Hollywood, he directed the classic "Rosemary's Baby" in 1968.

But his life was shattered again in 1969 when his wife, actress Sharon Tate, and four other people were gruesomely murdered by followers of Charles Manson. She was eight months pregnant.

He went on to make another American classic, "Chinatown," released in 1974.

In 1977, he was accused of raping a teenager while photographing her during a modeling session. The girl said Polanski plied her with champagne and part of a Quaalude pill at Jack Nicholson's house while the actor was away. She said that, despite her protests, he performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy on her.

Polanski was allowed to plead guilty to one of six charges, unlawful sexual intercourse, and was sent to prison for 42 days of evaluation.

Lawyers agreed that would be his full sentence, but the judge tried to renege on the plea bargain. Aware the judge would sentence him to more prison time and require his voluntary deportation, Polanski fled to France.

The now 45-year-old victim, Samantha Geimer, who long ago identified herself publicly, has joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal, saying she wants the case to be over. She sued Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement.

Gerry P. 09-27-09 07:27 AM

Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Whoa.

RocShemp 09-27-09 10:04 AM

Talk about a cold case. After 31 years he finally gets caught.

Adam Tyner 09-27-09 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9734152)
Talk about a cold case.

It's not a cold case at all, though (the man had pled guilty, even!). He'd just been clever enough to avoid being extradited.

Ash Ketchum 09-27-09 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 9734165)
It's not a cold case at all, though (the man had pled guilty, even!). He'd just been clever enough to avoid being extradited.

Not clever enough, apparently. He or his lawyers should have checked up on the U.S.-Swiss extradition treaty.

Dick Laurent 09-27-09 10:38 AM

No matter what your feelings are about Roman Polanski as a director, he admitted to the crime of sex with a 13-yr old girl, and then fled the country indefinitely. I've made the conscious decision NOT to support this director by not paying for or watching his movies on DVD (same for Victor Salva), and that's difficult, especially with the latest Criterion release, and the OHMC.

This subject is very personal to me, and my decision to boycott his films was not made in haste. I took a lot of time to read police reports and court records and victim statements, interviews, etc. And then I made a very informed decision.

Now, if the US ends up getting him back here, and "justice" is served, I'll have to make the decision on whether to lift my boycott.

So the burning question: If a criminal pays for his crime, does that make his successes (and DVDs) acceptable?

Deftones 09-27-09 10:39 AM

Justice can finally be served. :up:

Michael T Hudson 09-27-09 10:54 AM

Agreed with above posters. I read the stuff on the smoking gun a few years ago and he deserves to be in jail.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...skicover1.html

Sick stuff.

Dr. Mantle 09-27-09 11:06 AM

I just started watching Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired yesterday. Crazy timing.

Groucho 09-27-09 11:21 AM

So, he's never been to Switzerland this whole time?

Deftones 09-27-09 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9734257)
So, he's never been to Switzerland this whole time?

I guess he had numerous times. I wonder why, now, they decided to finally arrest him.

TomOpus 09-27-09 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 9734197)
So the burning question: If a criminal pays for his crime, does that make his successes (and DVDs) acceptable?

Also he's settled with his victim and she does not want to go through this any more. Shouldn't her wishes (and that of her family) have a large say in continued prosecution?

Dick Laurent 09-27-09 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9734260)
I guess he had numerous times. I wonder why, now, they decided to finally arrest him.

Better Swiss-US relations involving banking privacy matters probably helped.

Deftones 09-27-09 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 9734275)
Also he's settled with his victim and she does not want to go through this any more. Shouldn't her wishes (and that of her family) have a large say in continued prosecution?

Nope. So anytime a victim decides they don't want to prosecute any more the jurisdiction should just drop the case? Many times they don't want to prosecute because they don't want to go through an ordeal of a trial or having to relive the crime. That sets a really bad precedent if you think it should work that way.

NoirFan 09-27-09 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 9734197)
No matter what your feelings are about Roman Polanski as a director, he admitted to the crime of sex with a 13-yr old girl, and then fled the country indefinitely. I've made the conscious decision NOT to support this director by not paying for or watching his movies on DVD (same for Victor Salva), and that's difficult, especially with the latest Criterion release, and the OHMC.

Do you also change the channel every time a Naked Gun movie comes on?

Dick Laurent 09-27-09 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 9734275)

No. You can't just settle and not completely fulfill your legal obligations. He's not above the law. Whether the victim wants to go through this anymore is not up to her. "Settling" only hurts the victim and the public in the long run. She knows she played a part in his seduction, and she probably still feels embarrassment (though she's been an adult for a long time now). Anyway, principal and protection is what should be the concern here.

Dick Laurent 09-27-09 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9734290)

I've never been accused of killing anyone. I have been sexually molested as a child.

Deftones 09-27-09 11:53 AM

OJ wasn't convicted of murder, even though we all know he did it. :p

dsa_shea 09-27-09 12:03 PM

Donte Stallworth was able to pay his way out of his DUI manslaughter charge.

Supermallet 09-27-09 12:06 PM

I never stopped watching his films and I never will.

NoirFan 09-27-09 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9734303)

Although he was found liable for the two deaths in civil court. That didn't stop him from tracking down the real killer though.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9734333)
I never stopped watching his films and I never will.

I stopped watching Pirates.

RocShemp 09-27-09 12:18 PM

I fail to see the connection.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Deftones

Ooooh.

CloverClover 09-27-09 12:25 PM

this is a good thing because now he can get this fiasco behind him it is all anyone talks about with his legendary career. I think the system will be fair to him otherwise there would be a big outcry, I dont think they will want to be humiliated a second time

NoirFan 09-27-09 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9734362)
I fail to see the connection.

He boycotts Polanski films because of the director's criminal activities. I was wondering if he avoided all films that featured directors, actors, producers, caterers, etc. who had committed violent crimes. Naked Gun and O.J. might not have been the best example, since he was only found guilty in a civil court, but it was the first that popped into my mind. I'm sure others can come up with the hundreds of other examples. Here's a better example: One of the doctors in the original Exorcist was convicted of murder - would he avoid watching the film because of this?

Deftones 09-27-09 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9734412)
He boycotts Polanski films because of the director's criminal activities. I was wondering if he avoided all films that featured directors, actors, producers, caterers, etc. who had committed violent crimes. Naked Gun and O.J. might not have been the best example, since he was only found guilty in a civil court, but it was the first that popped into my mind. I'm sure others can come up with the hundreds of other examples. Here's a better example: One of the doctors in the original Exorcist was convicted of murder - would he avoid watching the film because of this?

could it possibly the combination of Polanski's crime and the fact that he evaded capture for 30+ years by living in a country that doesn't extradite?