Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roman Polanski arrested

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roman Polanski arrested

Old 10-13-09, 11:35 AM
  #451  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1,107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Polanski depressed in Jail:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091011/...nm/us_polanski



I would be feeling depressed if I knew I was going to jail for awhile.
Perhaps if someone would get some champagne and a lude or two for him and then sex up his ass he would cheer up some.
Old 10-13-09, 02:32 PM
  #452  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,668
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

^Just because someone likes to rape doesn't mean they like to BE raped.
Old 10-13-09, 03:03 PM
  #453  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Old 10-13-09, 03:24 PM
  #454  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Originally Posted by Cheato
^Just because someone likes to rape doesn't mean they like to BE raped.
Old 10-13-09, 04:10 PM
  #455  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,487
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Originally Posted by tanman
You're right! Who wants to know the details of her ass raping and the fact that he drugged her and raped her to get in the way of any loopholes that he can take advantage of.

Your argument was that the legal system is overly complex and concerned with details and semantics. My argument is that complexity and a concern for details in the legal system is a good thing, and that going in the other direction eventually leads us back to a barbaric "hang 'em first, ask questions later" mentality.

I also find it curious that the righteous torches-and-pitchforks crusaders on this issue are the ones who casually toss out the most carelessly vulgar, nasty terms to describe it. So much for the dignity of the victim.
Old 10-13-09, 04:37 PM
  #456  
DVD Talk Legend
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 10,137
Received 1,050 Likes on 725 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Your argument was that the legal system is overly complex and concerned with details and semantics. My argument is that complexity and a concern for details in the legal system is a good thing, and that going in the other direction eventually leads us back to a barbaric "hang 'em first, ask questions later" mentality.

I also find it curious that the righteous torches-and-pitchforks crusaders on this issue are the ones who casually toss out the most carelessly vulgar, nasty terms to describe it. So much for the dignity of the victim.
It is a good thing but not when it gets in the way of justice. My argument is when the facts of the case are very clear but the defendant still gets away due to a technicality which really wouldn't preclude the entire case. This case especially should be an open and shut case if there ever was one. It is very clear that he did the crime yet people are still crying foul over how he was treated.

And get over yourself. Do you really think the victim is reading this thread? I used vulgar nasty terms to emphasize the atrocity that Polanski committed which too many people in this thread seem to have forgotten.
Old 10-13-09, 10:43 PM
  #457  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,911
Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

So what's bail set at?
Old 10-14-09, 03:55 AM
  #458  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

But the crime Polanski pleaded guilty to and that he was charged for he already served the standard jail term for pre trial.
Old 10-14-09, 10:51 AM
  #459  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81,091
Received 1,385 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Originally Posted by Lutz
But the crime Polanski pleaded guilty to and that he was charged for he already served the standard jail term for pre trial.
There is no "standard" jail term for crimes such as this.
Old 10-14-09, 01:30 PM
  #460  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 36,515
Received 1,288 Likes on 858 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm just shocked as hell eXcentris is defending a Jew...
While that statement is silly, you do have a point, albeit indirectly... This thread does remind me of the mindset of some people in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict threads who, with their blinders on, will just keep repeating but they are terrorists who kill harmless civilians! ad nauseam, disregarding any analysis (historical/sociological/political/behavioral) you might put forth to try and understand their behavior. And then they will brand you as an apologist for terrorism...

Their message is essentially: DON'T THINK! DON'T TRY TO UNDERSTAND! JUST CONDEMNNNNNNNNNNNN! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

12 Angry Men

Juré #10: "How come you changed your vote?"
Juré #3 : "It just seemed to me that there was room for doubt..."
Juré #10: "You're like everybody else, you think too much, you get mixed up."


Clear open and shut case? I'm glad to know that tanman would never pass jury selection in a rape trial.

Last edited by eXcentris; 10-14-09 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 02:39 PM
  #461  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,054
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Bail denied again:
Roman Polanski has been denied release on bail for a second time, with a Swiss judge not quite buying the director’s pledge to remain in the country while awaiting the outcome of extradition appeals against the United States. The ruling likely didn’t surprise many folks close to the case — least of all Polanski, who still is being treated for an unknown ailment at an unknown facility for an unknown amount of time. And according to reports, the decision calls for some significant stakes-raising on the director’s side.

After the “I promise not to leave Switzerland — snicker — no, your Honor, seriously, you gotta let me out” strategy bombed with the Swiss justice ministry earlier this month, Polanski and Co. put the director’s country home up as collateral against his flight back to France. He’d even stay there under electronic monitoring, he said. That wasn’t enough assurance for the latest judge, who ruled that even he knows how easy it is to get across the Swiss border and didn’t want to be on the hook for Polanski’s next (and presumably final) fugitive episode.

Attorneys also argued that Polanski faces significant claims against him if he can’t complete his new film The Ghost on schedule — which didn’t impress anyone, especially after screenwriter already told the press Polanski would finish the film from behind bars if he had to. Next up: Another appeal to the justice ministry, along with “stronger guarantees” that the director will stay in Switzerland if he’s released on bail. Nobody quite knows what that could mean (Work-release as a seasonal ski groomer? Posting Emmanuelle Seigner as bail?), but we’ll all find out soon enough.

http://www.movieline.com/2009/10/swi...-bail-plea.php
Old 10-20-09, 02:41 PM
  #462  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,085
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Let him out or he won't be able to finish his movie!!!!
Old 07-12-10, 10:52 AM
  #463  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,557
Received 224 Likes on 173 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

Well , looks like this just came to another end.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38201135
Old 07-12-10, 02:44 PM
  #464  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,775
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

I understand this fell through because CA wouldn't provide some documents that would have enabled Switzerland to extradite him according the their laws. Why would CA not have provided these documents, and what the hell were they??

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.