Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roman Polanski arrested

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roman Polanski arrested

Old 10-05-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Roman Polanski arrested

I love how little people grasp the legal system. People are actually advocating that the victim decides if a crime is prosecuted? Seriously?

So anyone with enough money to buy off the victim gets a pass? What about if you threaten the victim and they are too scared to go forward? What if it's a relatively minor crime (like a purse snatching or pick pocketing) and the victim simply doesn't want to bother with court? Do we stop prosecuting minor crimes? What about murder or a crime that leaves someone in a coma, or brain damaged or amnesia? Do those victims count in this magical world?
Old 10-05-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,269 Likes on 847 Posts

The facts of the case don't seem to matter to the blood thirsty mob calling for "justice" either.
Old 10-05-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
The facts of the case don't seem to matter to the blood thirsty mob calling for "justice" either.
As someone who wants to see him in prison I don't have any idea what you are talking about.
Old 10-05-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by kuroiinu
I have mixed feelings about this.

If the crime happened today, yeah, bring the full force of the law down on him. No leniency.

But this was over 30 years ago. Yes, the crime was despicable, and yes, he fled the country and that was the reason the case still isn't closed. But it's been a long time, and he is 76 years old.

I think that sometimes we need to look beyond the absolute facts. The extenuating circumstances are not that he was/is a famous director, or that his mother died a Holocaust victim, or his wife was killed, but simply that, it was so long ago. Things changed, and people changed.
What?! Are you kidding me? So time heals all wounds and chalk it up to that? So in that respect if we found Bin Laden in 2031 we should just say let bygones be bygones and just give him a couples years in jail because people change and things change. After all 9/11 was 30 years ago. Who cares if he killed thousands of civilians in cold blood.

Who cares if he DRUGGED AND RAPED A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL (He was 43 at the time). It was 30 years ago she should have gotten over it by now.

Really?!
Old 10-05-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The age of consent is 15 y.o. or lower in most European countries and, even then, it's not considered nearly as much of a crime as it is here in the U.S. So it's not hard to understand why so many Europeans support Polanski and see this whole thing as prudish American puritans on a witch-hunt.

This is a good article on this "puritanical" issue: The Daily Beast: How Young Is Too Young?
If thinking that he needs to pay for DRUGGING AND RAPING A 13 YEAR OLD GIRL DESPITE HER CRIES FOR HIM TO STOP makes me a prude THEN I'M A FUCKING PRUDE!

It outrages me how many people are trying to justify what he did.
Old 10-05-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,269 Likes on 847 Posts

See that's what I'm talking about. You can rant, rave, wish and express your outrage all you want, that's not going to land Polanski in jail. I believe that this sudden obsession over a 30+ y/o case is ridiculous and, again, a huge waste of time and money considering the possible outcome(s).
Old 10-05-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
It outrages me how many people are trying to justify what he did.
No one is trying to justify what he did. Where has anyone said that? I know that I'm supporting the victim! And her view, which I think matters more than anyone else's, is that he has been punished enough and she wishes for the case to be closed. So why aren't you supporting her too?

From Samantha Geimers Op-Ed article she wrote in 2003 on why she doesn't want Polanski to serve anymore time, instead she wants the case closed and Polanski to no longer be a fugitive:
He never should have been put in the position that led him to flee. He should have received a sentence of time served 25 years ago, just as we all agreed. At that time, my lawyer, Lawrence Silver, wrote to the judge that the plea agreement should be accepted and that that guilty plea would be sufficient contrition to satisfy us. I have not changed my mind.

(...)

My attitude surprises many people. That's because they didn't go through it all; they don't know everything that I know. People don't understand that the judge went back on his word. They don't know how unfairly we were all treated by the press. Talk about feeling violated! The media made that year a living hell, and I've been trying to put it behind me ever since.
So if you don't want the case closed and Polanski freed to end this instead of dragging it out, then why do you want her to continue to go through media hell?
Old 10-05-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's Samantha Geimer's 1997 letter to the D.A. requesting that they dismiss the fugitive charges against Polanski and honor the terms of the plea deal originally approved by prosecutors:

The Smoking Gun: Victim Sought Leniency For Polanski

In it, she says this to the D.A. about Roman Polanski:
"I do not believe he was fleeing justice, but fleeing the lack of it in this particular case. I urge you to use leniency when considering this aspect of his case."
Old 10-05-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank god the American legal system isn't based on what the victim wants. So if a rape victim wants a rapist burned alive we should do that too?
Old 10-06-09, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I love how little people grasp the legal system. People are actually advocating that the victim decides if a crime is prosecuted? Seriously?

So anyone with enough money to buy off the victim gets a pass? What about if you threaten the victim and they are too scared to go forward? What if it's a relatively minor crime (like a purse snatching or pick pocketing) and the victim simply doesn't want to bother with court? Do we stop prosecuting minor crimes? What about murder or a crime that leaves someone in a coma, or brain damaged or amnesia? Do those victims count in this magical world?
In most types of cases, yes, the victim doesn't necessarily need to be involved. Other types of evidence can be enough - robberies can have video footage, B&Es can have blood left at the scene, assaults can have weapons and witnesses.

But with rape, in the majority of the cases (not all, but most), the victim is needed to prosecute. Because even with DNA evidence matching the suspect, all he has to do is claim consent (assuming the victim is of age), and all that evidence is meaningless. If the victim has injuries - she must like it rough. Without the victim's version of events, the case is nothing but two adults having consensual sex.
Old 10-06-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I love it when old rapists get to while away their twilight years in a dark cell thinking about what they've done. It's almost a better punishment than if he was jailed 30 years ago.

Roman Polanski -- Get Comfortable
Posted Oct 6th 2009 8:29AM by TMZ Staff

The Swiss Justice Ministry has denied Roman Polanski's request to be released from prison pending a decision on extradition.

According to the Ministry, there's still a high risk that Polanski might go on the run if released from custody. Go figure.

Polanski's lawyers asked the Swiss judge to release him from custody ... on grounds the move by U.S. law enforcement to haul him back was illegal.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/06/roman-...#ixzz0TA3gKZBA

Last edited by cungar; 10-06-09 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
See that's what I'm talking about. You can rant, rave, wish and express your outrage all you want, that's not going to land Polanski in jail. I believe that this sudden obsession over a 30+ y/o case is ridiculous and, again, a huge waste of time and money considering the possible outcome(s).
He still did the crime and needs some kind of punishment. That's the way it has to be.
Old 10-06-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank god the American legal system isn't based on what the victim wants. So if a rape victim wants a rapist burned alive we should do that too?
The American justice system is based on an defendant's rights of due process such as being able to face an accuser in a court of law, double jeopardy protection against being tried for the same crime twice, and so on. Basically a lot of rights that certain people want to throw away in order to throw Polanski in prison for a particular crime (rape) in which the charges were dropped long ago.
Old 10-06-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The American justice system is based on an defendant's rights of due process such as being able to face an accuser in a court of law, double jeopardy protection against being tried for the same crime twice, and so on. Basically a lot of rights that certain people want to throw away in order to throw Polanski in prison for a particular crime (rape) in which the charges were dropped long ago.
Even if the victim did not want to prosecute it does not matter. She already testified. Do you think she is willing to perjure herself to save Polanski? It doesn't mater if she wants to go to court or not she will be compelled to go and tell the truth, and her previous testimony can be entered as well.

Do you understand double jeopardy? I mean other than watching a few movies where it is incorrectly used? I don't think so and as it has been mentioned several times before, the charges were not dropped.

Show me how this is at all throwing away any of this "man's" rights?
Old 10-06-09, 09:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Do you understand double jeopardy? I mean other than watching a few movies where it is incorrectly used?
Are you calling Ashley Judd a liar?!
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
He still did the crime and needs some kind of punishment. That's the way it has to be.
Agreed. 100 %.

What if it was YOUR kid that Polanski did this to?

And the Hollywood scene.... geez I can't believe all of the names that are supporting him. Woody Allen? Puhleez Whoopie Goldberg's statement..."it wasn't rape rape." What if this happened to THEIR kid, would they be so supportive?

WTF is going on with people, and what happened to their morals?
Old 10-06-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if the victim did not want to prosecute it does not matter. She already testified. Do you think she is willing to perjure herself to save Polanski? It doesn't mater if she wants to go to court or not she will be compelled to go and tell the truth, and her previous testimony can be entered as well.

Do you understand double jeopardy? I mean other than watching a few movies where it is incorrectly used? I don't think so and as it has been mentioned several times before, the charges were not dropped.

Show me how this is at all throwing away any of this "man's" rights?
The charge of rape was dropped, so how can he be charged with that same crime again? But a lot of people are claiming that he needs to go to prison for this dropped charge, which would be a double jeopardy violation.

As I've said before, they have only the charge and guilty plea of "unlawful sex with a minor" against him, which despite being called "statutory rape" in some states, is not the same as a charge of rape. The D.A. can throw some new charges for fleeing against him, for which he'll plead innocent, but that's it.

Last edited by dhmac; 10-06-09 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by spammied
What if it was YOUR kid that Polanski did this to?
First off..If I was as parent I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would let my 13 year old daughter hang out with 30 year old Hollywood Actors and Directors.
Sorry but the parents of the girl and the girl are not enritrely blameless n the Polanski case.
Old 10-06-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The charge of rape was dropped, so how can he be charged with that same crime again? But a lot of people are claiming that he needs to go to prison for this dropped charge, which would be a double jeopardy violation.

As I've said before, they have only the charge and guilty plea of "unlawful sex with a minor" against him, which despite being called "statutory rape" in some states, is not the same as a charge of rape. The D.A. can throw some new charges for fleeing against him, for which he'll plead innocent, but that's it.
He can be tried for anything they want. Since he was not tried for rape it can not be double jeopardy. He was not found innocent of that crime. DA's drop charges and then re-file them all of the time.

Regardless that is all moot, when he fled the country all bets were off and all deals were off the table.
Old 10-06-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
First off..If I was as parent I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would let my 13 year old daughter hang out with 30 year old Hollywood Actors and Directors.
Sorry but the parents of the girl and the girl are not enritrely blameless n the Polanski case.
Yeah, and I bet she was dressed like a slut too and was asking for it.

Look, cast blame on the parents all you want it does not diminish the crime by Polanski. I have a 13 year old daughter and (regardless of the judgment) she should be able to be in the presence of a 40 year old man without being ass raped.
Old 10-06-09, 09:49 AM
Banned

^Well if you let her hang out with a 30 year old film director at Jack Nicholsons place in the mid-seventies I certainly would be casting blame on you.
Oh and NEWSFLASH!!!! Not all 13 year-old girls are innocent ya know!
Old 10-06-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He can be tried for anything they want. Since he was not tried for rape it can not be double jeopardy. He was not found innocent of that crime. DA's drop charges and then re-file them all of the time.

Regardless that is all moot, when he fled the country all bets were off and all deals were off the table.
I'm pretty sure those charges in this case cannot be re-filed. And the D.A. has a guilty plea to work with in the deal, so they would be very stupid to let that go.
Old 10-06-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^Well if you let her hang out with a 30 year old film director at Jack Nicholsons place in the mid-seventies I certainly would be casting blame on you.
Oh and NEWSFLASH!!!! Not all 13 year-old girls are innocent ya know!
She could be the biggest slut of all time doing multi-species gang bangs and "no" still means "no". Rape is rape and if you don't like it work to change the law in all cases, not just for respected directors.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 10-06-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure those charges in this case cannot be re-filed. And the D.A. has a guilty plea to work with in the deal, so they would be very stupid to let that go.
Yes they can, until the statute of limitations runs out charges can be re-filed at will. Now you are saying it would be stupid, when before you were saying it would be illegal, imposable, and a violation of his rights. Pretty soon we might actually get you to concede that ass raping a little girl is wrong.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.