Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Men in Black III in development

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Men in Black III in development

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
Re: "Men in Black" gearing up for third edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I've never understood why anyone liked "Independence Day". I mean...it's just totally lame. The acting reeks, and the plot has gaping holes and inconsistencies. I abhor it. It's just so stupid.
I like it because it was a fun movie I don't care about all the science stuff being unrealistic.

Originally Posted by mcfly
I've never heard of an ID4 sequel being thrown around. Where did you guys read that?

That's the definition of unnecessary sequel.
yeah were did that news come from. link?
Old 11-02-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I've never heard of an ID4 sequel being thrown around. Where did you guys read that?
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...ed-by-fox-8233

Cliff Notes: Fox wants a sequel, Emmerich/Devlin are willing to do a sequel as long as Will Smith is aboard. Fox isn't willing to give Smith Gross points. Fox suggested to Emmerich to do it without Smith and they were like lol, no.
Old 11-02-09, 09:47 PM

Joblo.com: Link for ID4 2
Old 11-02-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

Latinreview with an exclusive.

anyway I thought Emmerich and Devlin split.
Old 11-02-09, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I do enjoy "The Addams Family" movies, but most the the credit really goes out to the writers for getting their inspiration from the original Charles Addams comics.

But speaking of the "Addams Family movies" apparently Ol' Barry decided upon the "90 minutes...tops" after "Men in Black" because MiB and the Addams Family movies are all (slightly) over 90 minutes.
I love the Addams Family movies, but I hate that their mansion is completely different in both movies (especially considering that they were sets anyway). I wonder who came up with that idea?

I've only seen MIIB on tv and it's never held my attention. The quirkiness and look of the movies are great, but the story didn't catch me the second time around.

Last edited by mraw; 11-02-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like some of Men in Black II, but it's extremely problematic. There are some funny lines scattered throughout and performance moments that are good, but it suffers from the Ghostbusters II syndrome where a lot of kids saw the original and there was a cartoon, and then the sequel has to split the difference between the kid audience and the adult audience (plus regular sequelitis). Frank the Pug and The Worm Guys are to Men in Black II as Slimer and Louis are to Ghostbusters II.

Other problems: Lara Flynn Boyle stopped being at all attractive and started being grotesque at some point. Their original choice was Famke Janssen, the movie would work at least 15% better if they'd kept her on board instead of having to go with Boyle. Men in Black II also contains some of the worst visual effects I've ever seen in my entire life, such as the third-act shot of a spaceship flying away. And I what happens to Johnny Knoxville? He gets kicked in the head and never comes back!

However, I like some of the scope of it, and I'm a sucker for the not-shitty, big-budget summer special effects (like Jay and Kay getting flushed, some of the flying finale and the makeshift deneuralyzer). There's also one or two good references to the original, like the two-man bike. Tommy Lee Jones yelling "WHAT IS A GAME BOY!?" always makes me laugh.

I would prefer if Sonnenfeld didn't direct a third film.
Old 11-03-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
did the "i am legend" prequel start filming yet? plus he wants to do bad boys 3 and hancock 2. i doubt he would return to this franchise. there is nowhere else to go with it. another alien attack...yawn.
Smith kinda strikes me as a paycheck guy.... so, probably any franchise he returns to he stands to make a good chunk of change. Creatively, the leading one has to be Hancock... everything else is old and ran it's course yrs ago. And really, at this point he can do any original project basically... I think he only returned to those franchises a 2nd time cause he needed to.

Last edited by Artman; 11-03-09 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I've never understood why anyone liked "Independence Day". I mean...it's just totally lame. The acting reeks, and the plot has gaping holes and inconsistencies. I abhor it. It's just so stupid.
As was said, it was/is fun. I also enjoy it because it was an ensemble big summer movie.

That and its a pretty obvious "War of the Worlds" rip-off/homage.
Old 11-03-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,427 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I like some of Men in Black II, but it's extremely problematic. There are some funny lines scattered throughout and performance moments that are good, but it suffers from the Ghostbusters II syndrome where a lot of kids saw the original and there was a cartoon, and then the sequel has to split the difference between the kid audience and the adult audience (plus regular sequelitis). Frank the Pug and The Worm Guys are to Men in Black II as Slimer and Louis are to Ghostbusters II.
I haven't gone back to watch the original Ghostbusters cartoon as an adult, but I watched the MIB and the MIB animated series as an adult, and the tone of the series was, if anything, a little more adult than the movie. It wasn't all gore and blood and swearing, but I seemed to recall it having a bit of gravitas to it, and when I went to see that mass hallucination that was the second movie, I remember being extremely disappointed at the drop in quality from the animated series.

And I thought Hancock was a great attempt at some very interesting material, though I'm not sure where a sequel could go.
Old 04-21-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At Sony’s 2009 ShoWest presentation, Rory Bruer (the President of Sony Worldwide Distribution) announced they were developing another Men in Black movie and he mentioned the year 2011. It looks like the plan is coming together, as Showbiz411 is reporting Will Smith has officially signed on to director Barry Sonnenfeld’s Men in Black 3D and Tommy Lee Jones will be back as Agent K.

http://www.collider.com/2010/04/21/m...will-be-in-3d/
Old 04-21-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,084 Posts

3D huh? I'm disappointed but not surprised. I guess a movie like this just screams 3D.
Old 04-21-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hire someone other than Sonnenfeld, damn it.
Old 04-21-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the first film, but not so much the second one. I guess we can expect every third installment of a film from now on to have the "3D" suffix at the end of the title. Oh well, waiting for Wall Street 3D.
Old 04-21-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't recall a single "third" movie with the suffix "3D" that was even remotely good.

Should we expect this to be filmed 3D, or post-3D?
Old 04-21-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MIB3D. I can't wait to not see this!!
Old 04-21-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts

Yet another shitty Sonnenfeld movie... now in 3D!
Old 04-21-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone other than Sonnenfeld. The first film is one of my all-time favorites. I need something to get the bad taste of MIIB out of my mouth.
Old 04-21-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

The problem with the second movie is that its plot was essentially a rehash of an episode of the animated series and the animated series did it better.
Old 04-22-10, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The problem with the second movie is that its plot was essentially a rehash of an episode of the animated series and the animated series did it better.
They got away from what made the 1st one good which was the chemistry between Smith and Jones.

Does Sonnenfield have ownership rights in this or something, did his deal on the 1st one guarantee he got to direct the sequels? I dont get it.
Old 04-22-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

No matter who directs, I'll still watch it.
Old 04-22-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved the first one; it's a shitton of fun. The second? Not so much. Having said that, I'll be seeing a third since I like the leading duo and it could recapture some of the first film's glory.
Old 04-22-10, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the 1st one, not enough to buy it. Never saw all of the 2nd one..don't want to. Saw the Intro all the up to where they get Lee Jones to come back...it just felt....dead. Pointless really.
Old 04-22-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the first film, liked the second film a lot, will definitely be there on opening night for the third (in 3D*, of course).

* As long is it is shot in 3D, not converted in post.
Old 05-07-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts

May 07, 2010
'Men in Black 3' is on, gets date and 3D treatment

Men in Black 3” is officially a go.

Columbia has signed deals with Will Smith to return as alien-chasing government operative Agent Jay, as well as director Barry Sonnenfeld, producers Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald.

The movie will be in 3D and will open May 25, 2012, not the usual July 4 weekend date that Smith’s past summer blockbusters have occupied.

Tommy Lee Jones is in negotiations to reprise his role as Smith’s partner, Agent Kay, while Josh Brolin is in talks to star as a young version of the character (most of the action takes place in 1969).

Brolin’s involvement was rumored back in December, though his desire, as well as Smith’s participation, depended on the quality of the script. Etan Cohen ("Tropic Thunder") wrote the script, which has been going under a polish by David Koepp. A story meeting is scheduled for this afternoon to keep ironing out the kinks.

Backend dealmaking also protracted the negotiations in Columbia’s attempt to make a third installment of its billion-dollar franchise.

The first “MIB,” released in 1997, was a surprise over-performer, grossing $589 million worldwide, while the second movie, released in 2002, took in $441.8 million.
Old 05-07-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm hoping they mean "shot in 3-D" and not another post-conversion.

Glad to hear Brolin is involved, but didn't they already cover Kay's backstory in the first film?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.