Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Word on Catwoman from the set:

Spoiler:
Abused stripper and pick-pocket who steals the batpod. I'm guessing the Catwoman costume will get blended in from a stripping outfit.
Regarding the spoiler...

Spoiler:
She was a prostitute in the original Year One comic, right? Sounds like they're going to go with something along that route.
Old 08-06-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Word on Catwoman from the set:

Spoiler:
Abused stripper and pick-pocket who steals the batpod. I'm guessing the Catwoman costume will get blended in from a stripping outfit.
if that's accurate, that's kind of lame to me.

but I suppose

Spoiler:
that with Talia, you would already have a female character with the upper class poise that I was expecting Nolan to give Selina (if she were a high tech savvy thief). Instead he may be making her the opposite number to Talia- lower class, vulgar, and engaging in petty common criminal activity in comparison to Talia's more grandiose, philosophical minded scheming.
I question- assuming that is the case- whether he can then elevate Selina's capabilities believably to have the character amount to anything in the overall narrative. Or whether she will just suddenly pull all these amazing abilities out of nowhere (like being able to operate an advanced piece of high tech weaponry), or just be a blatant plot device to drive certain events forward.
Old 08-06-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
if that's accurate, that's kind of lame to me.
How is it lame? As fumanstan said it's
Spoiler:
close to her origin in the Year One comic.

From Wikipedia regarding her origin (spoilerized since it could relate to her origin in the movie):

Spoiler:
Catwoman's origin—and, to an extent, her character—was revised in 1986 when writer Frank Miller and artist David Mazzucchelli published Batman: Year One, a revision of Batman's origin. She works as a prostitute in order to survive and wants to break away from her abusive pimp (and former boyfriend). She witnesses his crimes and, because of an event that occurs to her sister, fears for her sister's life and begins to study self-defense and martial arts. Her teacher inspires Selina to become more than what she has been and she realizes that prostitution is no life for her, or for "Holly".
And it should be noted that Juno Temple was cast as (apparently) Holly Robinson.
Old 08-06-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Did people here honestly expect, and want to see, a cat mask for her costume?
I expected something to indicate that she was Catwoman and not just a generic burglar. There are plenty of versions of Catwoman out there that accomplish just that without looking ridiculously tacky.

But I guess since everyone prefers Catwoman without ears, they'd also prefer Batman without the cowl, Joker without the green hair and makeup, and Two-Face without the scarring?
Old 08-06-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Couldn't resist:

Old 08-06-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-06-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Lame because

Spoiler:
I was hoping he would be a little more adventurous with this character.
Just because Frank Miller (who I admit has created some masterpieces) re-christened the character as an ex-sex worker who decides to kick ass, doesn't mean that is the only valid interpretation for this character. More importantly, I think it limits her as to what her range of believable capabilities will be.

Also, at this point the whole 'sex worker becomes empowered by kicking ass' theme is trite and cliche.

I guess that's why I was hoping Nolan would ditch it and then - like he did with Joker- go back to the earliest appearances of the character and what she was about, and simply embellish on that, with a more modern frame of reference .

But yes, since Holly has been cast, this is most likely what it will hew closer to.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 08-07-11 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-07-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
But I guess since everyone prefers Catwoman without ears, they'd also prefer Batman without the cowl, Joker without the green hair and makeup, and Two-Face without the scarring?
Doesn't matter what we prefer. Batman did have a cowl, Joker had green hair and makeup (the big fanboy issue was that he wasn't "permawhite" with bleached skin) and Two-Face didn't just have scars, his face was burnt right off.

It's too soon to tell what we'll actually get. There are rumors abound that she will indeed have ears, and we just haven't seen that yet. It's nice though, that Nolan and Co. have been pretty damn great with the character designs so far, Scarecrow included.
Old 08-07-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I could argue that the ears might look dumb, but when one considers the fact that our hero has a bat-cowl on his head, it kind of nullifies such an argument.
Old 08-07-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Doesn't matter what we prefer. Batman did have a cowl, Joker had green hair and makeup (the big fanboy issue was that he wasn't "permawhite" with bleached skin) and Two-Face didn't just have scars, his face was burnt right off.
Huh? I think you missed my point entirely.

I'm saying it isn't Batman without a cowl; it isn't Joker without green hair and makeup; and it isn't two face without some sort of facial deformity (not sure why you're drawing a distinction between scars and face being burnt right off).

Along those same lines, it isn't Catwoman unless she actually resembles, in some way, a cat. Thus far Nolan has done a great job of portraying the characters, so I don't see why he wouldn't have Catwoman look like Catwoman in this movie. Assuming what we've seen is the complete and final version of the costume, I don't see why people are okay with it, when if the same thing was done to other characters it would cause an uproar.
Old 08-07-11, 09:54 AM
Banned

it isn't Joker without green hair and makeup

Joker has only ever used makeup in the movies. In the comics his skin was permanently bleached white from the acid bath.
Old 08-07-11, 11:44 AM

Huh? I think you missed my point entirely.

I'm saying it isn't Batman without a cowl; it isn't Joker without green hair and makeup; and it isn't two face without some sort of facial deformity (not sure why you're drawing a distinction between scars and face being burnt right off).

Along those same lines, it isn't Catwoman unless she actually resembles, in some way, a cat. Thus far Nolan has done a great job of portraying the characters, so I don't see why he wouldn't have Catwoman look like Catwoman in this movie. Assuming what we've seen is the complete and final version of the costume, I don't see why people are okay with it, when if the same thing was done to other characters it would cause an uproar.
I know indeed what you are saying, and what I was saying is we got everything the characters were expected to have, and in the case of Two-Face and why I made the distinction with him, was because not only did we get what the character was expected or "supposed" to have, but we got that and then some. It went even further. Joker was a step back from the expected and worked out beautifully. Or beautifully messy.
Old 08-07-11, 12:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Joker has only ever used makeup in the movies. In the comics his skin was permanently bleached white from the acid bath.
Ditto the 1989 Batman film.

Also, to settle this ridiculous argument about the cat ears, Hathaway is playing Selina Kyle in the movie. It's been made explicitly clear. Maybe she'll be "Catwoman" by the end, but I'm guessing for the bulk of the movie she'll be Selina. In other words, what you're seeing is not a "Catwoman" costume.
Old 08-07-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's probably a really, really, REALLY good reason why she doesn't look anything like a "Catwoman": the movie Catwoman.
Old 08-07-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yeah, you're right, I misspoke when I said makeup, but my point remains the same.
Old 08-07-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Hines Ward on some kind of vehicle for the movie:

Old 08-07-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Bane speaks at Heinz Field:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kR4hVwDhbIg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kR4hVwDhbIg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Old 08-07-11, 07:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

hmmm he sounds weird
Old 08-07-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really think this will be Nolan's "Cars 2" but I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-07-11, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdrayNEAQW4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdrayNEAQW4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_KZPbzMUf8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_KZPbzMUf8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BL13Wr4tegY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E1gpyrg8FFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-07-11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bane sounds like Emo Phillips
Old 08-07-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Bane sounds like Emo Phillips
I think that's far from what we will see in theaters. They will definitely dub Bane over again; there's a possibility that's not even Tom Hardy's voice but someone else. However, it would be interesting if Nolan just said screw it turned this in as the final product, complete with people mumbling in the background and the word graphics saying what is supposed to be happening!
Old 08-07-11, 07:59 PM
Banned

oh shit...IMAX cam got hit.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXbdotM9JxQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXbdotM9JxQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 08-07-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Damn. I remembber they dropped an IMAX cam whilst filming the prologue of TDK. It survived. I wonder if this one was as lucky.
Old 08-07-11, 08:54 PM
Banned

Not the IMAX cam! *worried* Talking about the cams...soooo how much better are these new IMAX cams in terms of what they film w/ it now? How much quieter is it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.