Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
That Thor stuff seems like a really big stretch. Both of them.
Old 06-26-08, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not buying this "This was a box office disappointment cause of the previous Ang Lee version" excuse. Sorry, but I dont think people are any more enthusiastic or excited over this Hulk than they were over the previous Ang Lee Hulk.
The critics reviews, if you look on Rotton tomatoes, are pretty damn close percentage wise. I have to say I have heard about the same number of people say they liked the Hulk 03 better than Hulk 08 against people who say they prefer Hulk 08.
Myself I think I would rank Hulk 03 just a bit above Hulk 08 but it would be close. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Both Hulk films opened during busy summers with quite a few action films to compete against. I think the cold fact is both Hulk films didnt have the appeal to a massve audience the way Iron Man or Batman do. Batman had to overcome the abortion that was Batman & Robin and it certainly did do that didnt it? Hulk just doesnt seem to get poeple as excited it seems. If they "rebooted" the franchise again in another five years I doubt it would make much more than $130 million. Hulk just isnt gonna attract an audience much wider than its main core fanbase.
I like Hulk. I like both films. I'm glad we got both versions but I think we are gonna have to be happy with what we got. I dont see a sequel for this. Only The Avengers film will be a possibility of course now.
Old 06-26-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The thing is, Hulk came after the initial wave of "more serious" reboots (starting with Spider-man and X-Men). This new film is a reboot of a reboot.
Old 06-27-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
Please explain ... as I had no idea there was a Thor reference in the film either

Edit: I found some info on this here, but it seems like kind of a stretch to me. Spoilerizing just in case, but this doesn't really require one:
Spoiler:
When I watched that scene, I thought he roared at the lightning because it sounded like cannon/gun fire to him. For a minute there, I thought the above link was going to say that when the Hulk hits his head on the cave ceiling you can see Thor's hammer embedded in the rock or something.
I interpreted the scene the same way as you, but if that Thor rumor is true, then I've got to give another big to Marvel.
Old 06-28-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I actually liked Ang Lee's take on The Hulk, but this one blows the last film out of the water in just about every way possible.

I feel the same. Having just re-watched the Ang Lee version after seeing the new version the other day, even more so.

Before, I was wondering why they even needed to do another Hulk movie so soon. Having now seen the new one, I get. They basically took just about everything that was wrong about the first movie - bad pacing, convoluted plot, altering the origin storyline too much, questionable CGI (especially on the title character), bad villain - and made it right. It's still not perfect, but it's an overall far superior film for what it needs to be.

I also like the way Marvel is now tying in all of the characters together in their movies. Awesome.
Old 06-28-08, 10:55 PM

The Thor cameo was almost as awesome as Ant-Man's appearance. Frame 15192, black speck in the bottom left corner. It was also pretty clever having Storm make it rain
Old 06-29-08, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by bee_01
The Thor cameo was almost as awesome as Ant-Man's appearance. Frame 15192, black speck in the bottom left corner. It was also pretty clever having Storm make it rain

Yeah, those Thor "cameos" are a bit too much.
Old 06-29-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Thor cameo isn't correct. Fact is, read 'Hulk: Gray'. There is an exact scene like that. The whole lightening, cave and Betty calming him.
Old 06-29-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
I finally got to see this today.

Boy - even the positive reviews are selling this movie short. This a GREAT superhero movie...right up there with Spidey 2, Superman 1 and Iron Man. I dare say I like this a touch more than Iron Man, due to how serious they took the character (Iron Man was a little more tongue-in-cheek).

Also a very nice homage to the "feel" of the TV series. I think the Hulk only appears in about four different segments of the movie, but I was so wrapped up in Edward Norton's agnst as Bruce Banner, I didn't mind.

Big, big recommendation from me...and as many of you know, I was not a fan of Ang Lee's version...not in the least.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-29-08 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-29-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I finally saw this yesterday. Not a whole lot of character development in this one. Felt like a one note performance from Norton. Norton had zero chemistry with Tyler and she basically was there to look doe-eyed the whole time. Lee's version was easily superior to this one. Bana over Norton--no contest.
Old 06-29-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
The Thor cameo isn't correct. Fact is, read 'Hulk: Gray'. There is an exact scene like that. The whole lightening, cave and Betty calming him.

Bullshit!!! You're wrong!!! It was fuckin' THOR!!!! How dare you fuckin' doubt my post!!!

Don't you ever try to bring my posts down like this again!!!! It sickens me!!!

Spoiler:
I'm kidding!! Maybe it wasn't a Thor scene. I'll buy that. Look, I was going by what this Marvel Geek guy was telling me in some Comic shop and he was most likely wrong.
Old 06-29-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I have a theory.
This Hulk is actually a Skrull and the Ang Lee Hulk is the real Hulk and we'll see the two battle it out in the next film, which was hinted at in Iron Man, because S.H.I.E.L.D was mentioned.

And I apologize.
That was Thor.
Old 07-07-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
Finally saw it over the holiday weekend and this was the Hulk film I was expecting the first time around.

The only thing that felt out of place was the cameo.
Spoiler:
Why would Stark talk to Gen. Ross about the Avenger's initiative and what is Gen. Ross connection to S.H.I.E.L.D.?

As for the ending with Abomination..
Spoiler:
well, I think it was a product of having been injected with large doses of the super soldier serum and then getting hit with the gamma pulse. He fed off the adrenalin and when he started to tire during the fight, he lost his strength. Whereas the Hulk was fueled by rage and anger. I dunno. I figure Abomination just gassed out.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-07-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Finally saw it over the holiday weekend and this was the Hulk film I was expecting the first time around.

The only thing that felt out of place was the cameo.
Spoiler:
Why would Stark talk to Gen. Ross about the Avenger's initiative and what is Gen. Ross connection to S.H.I.E.L.D.?
Well, when Banner's internet activity was being tracked, we see it is being done
Spoiler:
by S.H.I.E.L.D., so it looks like we were getting so cooperation there. But I do think Tony working with someone who wanted to weaponize Hulk after becoming so adamant about his own tech not being used by the military seemed a little off.
Old 10-25-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Wow, I liked this even more than Iron man. How the hell did this one get down played??

I personally loved the scenes in Brazil and also thought Norton nailed the Burce Banner role (actually makes the movie).

So now I have the Dark Knight left.
Old 10-25-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
Wow, I liked this even more than Iron man. How the hell did this one get down played??

I personally loved the scenes in Brazil and also thought Norton nailed the Burce Banner role (actually makes the movie).

So now I have the Dark Knight left.
Posted this in another thread. I loved the film. And, like "Hellboy", it just gets better each time I watch it. It was the perfect summer film. Great action and special effects. Throwing in my favorite actor as the lead was also a bonus. We had three terrific comic book movies this summer. "Iron Man", "The Dark Knight" and "The Incredible Hulk". It's so unfortunate "TIH" didn't do as well at the box-office. It certainly deserved twice the business it got. I can only think of two reasons why it didn't. An over saturated market, or people still having a bad taste in their mouths from Ang Lee's film. I hope it finds it's bigger audience on home video. The BD is a home run. Gorgeous PQ (5/5) and the audio (5++/5). This was without a doubt the loudest film I've ever heard in a theater. Ditto on my home system. My ears are still ringing.
Old 11-02-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just saw this tonight on BD and overall liked the movie. I know the first one was not well received but I have to admit I liked that one as well. I will admit the attack of the 6' tall poodle was a tad lame in the first. I honestly saw the same mistakes in this one that people complained about in the first one. The totally CGI hero was difficult to sympathize with. The CGI action was more cartoon than movie.

I'd bang Liv Tyler at the drop of a hat but she didn't make a convincing scientist nor did she have chemistry with Norton. Liv's boyfriend in the movie is not a convincing smart guy either.

The movie was good, looked and sounded great on BD. I rate it roughly the same as Ang Lee's Hulk, but again I liked that one OK too. I give them a B-. But definately below Dark Knight and Iron Man at A+ and A-
Old 11-02-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
I loved The Incredible Hulk. That and Iron Man really made my moviegoing year. I can't wait to watch my Incredible Hulk blu ray (this is one I know I'm getting for Christmas).
Old 11-02-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I loved The Incredible Hulk. That and Iron Man really made my moviegoing year. I can't wait to watch my Incredible Hulk blu ray (this is one I know I'm getting for Christmas).

Will be on my list
Old 11-04-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts
I just saw the movie last night and I loved it. I grew up reading Hulk comic books and watched the tv series as a kid. This the Hulk film we should have had in the first place instead of the piss poor ang lee film of 2003.
Old 04-23-15, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The one and only INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Thread bump.

I am doing a MCU marathon. I am watching one MCU movie per day getting ready for Age of Ultron coming next weekend. I watched Incredible Hulk last night, and I have a question about it.

I thought Banner only turns into Hulk when he gets angry, right? Then what exactly is the point of the heart rate watch that he wears? He acts like anything that gets his heart rate up will turn him into Hulk. There is one scene where he is about to have sex with Betty and the watch starts beeping so he quits. He's not angry that he's about to have sex, or is he? Plenty of things get your heart rate up without making you angry. Sex is one of them. I just don't get the point of the heart rate watch. Just because heart rate is increasing doesn't mean you're angry.
Old 04-23-15, 12:46 PM
Banned

Anger tends to be the main trigger but great pain and distress shove him into going Hulk.

It's always been like that. Well not always but not just anger makes him Hulk out.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-23-15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Anger tends to be the main trigger but great pain and duress shove him into going Hulk.

It's always been like that. Well not always but not just anger makes him Hulk out.
So what about sex would make him Hulk out? He can't have sex at all?

I hope Age of Ultron explains what happened to Betty since apparently Banner and Romanoff are together now.
Old 04-23-15, 02:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One might argue that at this point in Banner's life, ANYTHING that gets his heart rate up high enough triggers the change. By the time of the Avengers, he seems to have more control over it, although it can still be triggered with enough pressure.
Old 04-23-15, 02:53 PM
Banned

yeah. By The Avengers he can mostly control it. Not it like it can't get out of control but he can check himself for the most part.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.