DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/533357-one-only-incredible-hulk-reviews-thread.html)

The Antipodean 06-10-08 02:47 PM

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

OK, we've had the lengthy <a href="http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=472484&page=1&pp=25">pre-release thread,</a> but now it's time to start seeing what people really think. I admit I wasn't at all excited for this as the 2003 Hulk was one of the biggest disappointments for me in years, but I'm starting to think I'll spend the cash to check it out on the big screen, even if I don't like the Abomination design at all....

So far at <a href="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_incredible_hulk/">Rotten Tomatoes</a> it's at 64% but with only a handful of reviews... (But when one of the negative reviews says he wishes Ang Lee were back, ya gotta wonder...)

RichC2 06-10-08 02:57 PM

I'm looking forward to this and I liked the Ang Lee version just fine (more for the first half than the second). That said, there should be a revision shortly on the score, Levy's review was positive, then marked negative (and I think it is the 4th negative review), and has been revised as positive again.

superdeluxe 06-10-08 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
(But when one of the negative reviews says he wishes Ang Lee were back, ya gotta wonder...)

The guy didn't like it. I've read other reviews that this is a crowd pleaser, and people are geeking out over it.

MBoyd 06-10-08 03:17 PM

I saw it last night as I said in the other thread. I liked it better than Iron Man I think. You know, this is probably my favorite film of the summer so far. It just kicks all kind of ass. It's punching and fighting and smashing all over the place. Just what I want for a dumb mindless comic book film. It moves fast too. Nobody here is going to be sorry after they see it.

The crowd watching it went wild and applauded at least 6 times in spots. I got the vibe that the TV show references went over VERY well with this group.

Cardiac161 06-10-08 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
The crowd watching it went wild and applauded at least 6 times in spots. I got the vibe that the TV show references went over VERY well with this group.

Now I'm really excited for this film. Hope it's a success since I've always thought that Edward Norton deserves a box-office hit.

One thing that made me love the TV series was they always played out Banner (Bill Bixby) as the tortured underdog who always gets beaten up, locked up or talked down to until he gets pissed off & turns to the green, bad-haired Lou Ferrigno.

Zodiac_Speaking 06-10-08 04:23 PM

I just picked up my tix for the midnight show thursday-can't wait, really excited.

Terrell 06-10-08 05:26 PM

I haven't seen many films this year, so I've got a lot of catching up to do. But this one, I'll take a pass. I didn't hate Lee's version, but I wasn't fond of it either. This one looks more fun, but if the effects weren't third-rate garbage, I might have given it a chance. They'd take me completely out of the film.

cranberries fan 06-10-08 06:27 PM

I will see it this Friday as I have those two tickets when I pick-up Season 3 and 4 of the TV-series last week.

RichC2 06-11-08 01:28 PM

General consensus seems to be: It's a bit shallow but really entertaining.

:up: in my book. 74% with 19 reviews (14 fresh, 5 rotten).

The Antipodean 06-12-08 03:21 PM

Down to 70% with 40 reviews, but still, have to say this is getting much better reviews than it looked from first trailer. I think I'll actually see it now.

Patman 06-13-08 02:00 AM

This film takes a little while to get going when it opens in Brazil, catching the audience up with Bruce's life, and quest for a cure, but the middle section has some crazy action, though it kind of stumbles through the relationship beats between Bruce and Betty, but thankfully the pacing keeps the audience from dwelling on such emotional undercurrents that could have stalled the film's momentum. The last part of the film is filled to the brim with CGI-on-CGI violence and action, which the crowd ate up, though I felt it almost bordered on the cartoonish side at times. For a second, I thought we had another Cloverfield on our hands (if you seen the trailers, you'll know what I mean), but that feeling passes by quickly.

The script picks its spots judiciously to bring out bits of humor, so as to not lose sight of the drama and pace of the story at hand.

Stan Lee actually has a quick, but integral, cameo. Plus there is also some love shown to the principles from the TV show. The CGI is good in spots, but too obvious in other spots, but not enough to be distracting as long as you buy into main super-powered characters as CGI creations. Sometimes the scale of the Hulk looked a little off (compared to Betty), but those scenes are fairly minor and short.

Ed Norton's thin, lean, physique actually works for Bruce, a scientist. The on-screen chemistry between Ed Norton and Liv Tyler was average, again, not so terrible that you don't buy it, but it just takes a little getting used to for it to feel organic enough to invest in these characters and the situations they find themselves in while seeking a cure for Bruce.

Given its lightness in the dramatics department (never really entertaining the notion to go back down the road of psycho-analysis for character motivations), and a heavier focus on Hulk-centric action sequences, it will play much better to audiences, and garner better word-of-mouth, I suspect. It's almost the anti-thesis of the Ang Lee version, which should delight those who didn't enjoy the first Hulk film.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

P.S. There is no extra scene at the end of the credits (at least not after the midnight showing I saw tonight).

project86 06-13-08 02:58 AM

I enjoyed it, I look forward to seeing the directors cut even more now though. The movie itself was decent, but I have a feeling the alternate version will feel a lot more complete.

tonymontana313 06-13-08 03:18 AM

Loved how they introduced the Leader.

Supermallet 06-13-08 04:45 AM

I was pretty much sold from the opening credits (complete with references to the TV show, Stark Industries, Nick Fury, and S.H.I.E.L.D.), and the movie had me sucked in right to the very end. Edward Norton was an inspired choice for the role of Bruce Banner, and I sincerely hope he's willing to come back for The Avengers. Liv Tyler had a softness to her that helped the audience believe she could calm the Hulk down. For me, the best parts were between William Hurt and Tim Roth. They're both great actors and they sold their parts with relish.

The CGI got a little unbelievable at times (it's telling that the best action sequence only shows the Hulk once, and even then he's cloaked in shadow), but the director has a smart enough eye for action that for most of it I was riveted.

I actually liked Ang Lee's take on The Hulk, but this one blows the last film out of the water in just about every way possible.

Catch 21 06-13-08 10:36 AM

Confused about the
Spoiler:
gamma drop in MR Blue brain, Is he supposed to be The Leader or doc Sampson?

GatorDeb 06-13-08 10:42 AM

This was my first ever midnight showing, and I thought it was a great movie. I wasn't sure about Edward Norton as The Hulk and I'm still not completely happy with the casting. I have loved EN since Primal Fear, but I don't think he has the body type or mannerisms. For me Eric Bana is just more masculine and menacing. I have loved everything EN has done but he never quite fit in as Bruce Banner for me. I thought Eric Bana was perfectly cast. I like both Hulk movies about the same I would say (I was in the minority that thought the first Hulk was great).

I never read the comics but I know the basic story, and I did read in the IMDb boards that EN fits the body better than EB, but it's still jarring for me.

This summer just keeps getting better and better.

Shannon Nutt 06-13-08 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
For me Eric Bana is just more masculine and menacing.

Isn't the whole point to have a Bruce Banner who's just an everyday guy...I mean, if he was buff to begin with, he wouldn't need to turn into The Hulk. :)

outcastja 06-13-08 11:24 AM

Went to the midnight showing in Arc Light. It was pretty cool because the director, screen writer, and a few people that worked on the film were in attendance. Overall I enjoyed the movie, however it felt like I already watched a lot of scenes of the movie from just the tv spots and trailers. Good thing I avoided the other clips that were leaking on the net.

GatorDeb 06-13-08 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Isn't the whole point to have a Bruce Banner who's just an everyday guy...I mean, if he was buff to begin with, he wouldn't need to turn into The Hulk. :)

I don't know for me EN is kind of ... gentle in his mannerisms, and that's not how I picture BB. I can see The Hulk emanating from EB but not from EN.

Fromundacheese 06-13-08 11:34 AM

Hey guys, I hardly ever post here at dvdtalk but I only recently found out about The Incredible Hulk and after seeing the trailer I am looking forward to
seeing this, big time!

I know I am in the small minority that actually love Ang Lee's
03' Hulk so I am way , way excited to see this!!!! :)

GatorDeb 06-13-08 11:51 AM

I loved the Ang Lee one also :D For me they are par in par.

Fromundacheese 06-13-08 11:58 AM

:thumbsup: !

superdeluxe 06-13-08 12:10 PM

I fell asleep in Ang Lee's.

I wonder if I will like this one better.?

Cornelius1047 06-13-08 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I fell asleep in Ang Lee's.

I wonder if I will like this one better.?

Most likely. Call it whatever you want. But one thing it is not is boring.

Zodiac_Speaking 06-13-08 12:43 PM

It was really fun but did feel like something was missing. Maybe it's all in those 70 mins of deleted footage.

I'd say Marvel Studios is 2-for-2