Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The one and only THE INCREDIBLE HULK reviews thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Anyone notice how much WILLIAM HURT has aged?
Anyone also notice how William Hurt hasn't had a full head of hair hair since, what, The Big Chill? Damn that was an obvious hairpiece.

Saw a matinee of it today. Was highly entertained by it, clearly the movie we should've gotten the first go-around. Edward Norton was great as Banner, and I loved Hurt and Tims Roth and Blake Nelson in their parts.

I like Iron Man more, but the action sequences in this were great and all around a tight, entertaining film. Oh, and no creepy-ass gamma poodles appear.

My complaints were:

-The CGI. While the Hulk and Abomination did look seamless in most scenes, there were others where it appeared like a 360 game. There was also one CGI shot of a helicopter that was noteworthy in being dreadful.

-I was never nauseated by the Bourne movies' camerawork, but hot damn, I lost my frame of reference during the final battle. See, there was something the last Indiana Jones did right (patience with the camera)! Other than that, Louis Letterier (sp?) did a good job with the film.

I'll give this one a clear-cut ***1/2. Can't wait to see where they go with this.

P.S.: The Hellboy II trailer was attached, and am I wrong in not thinking this movie looks balls-out great? I really admire the original, but this looks stunning. It'll be great getting this and then The Dark Knight the next week. I LOVE the They Live nod in the HBII trailer.
Old 06-17-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Mmmm, think that was the makeup.
I didn't think he looked that bad in Mr. Brooks...
Old 06-17-08, 12:04 AM

Oh, shit, I just popped wood thinking about how awesome it would be if I got to see Hulkbuster Armor in the Avengers.

No guesses on who's going to be the cameo in Captain America?
Old 06-17-08, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was Ok not enough HULK SMASHing for me!

It felt like it was too long in middle and to short at the end.
Old 06-18-08, 09:54 AM

I think I may see this... quick question: At the end of the first one the Hulk fights a tornado. Does he fight an earthquake at the end of this one? Perhaps even a tsunami or volcano? God I hope so.
Old 06-19-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I caught a matinée today at the Cinerama Dome and was fairly impressed. It wasn't as brainless as I thought a sequel could have been; I could see the makers of a sequel wanting to get too far from Ang Lee's version and making an meat-headed smash fest, but this one still had some emotion to it. It did move along at an amazingly rapid pace; I would definitely be interested in seeing the longer version I've read about. The movie could benefit from slowing down a bit and taking more time with Banner and Ross in between the screaming and explosions.
Old 06-20-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Saw this today. I wasn't like jump out of my shoes impressed as I was with Iron Man, but it was definitely better than the 1st shot at the Hulk. I think for whatever lackluster feelings I had for the movie, was pretty quelled by the last 20 minutes of the movie. Overall, good, not great, and certainly not as good as Iron Man.
Old 06-20-08, 04:41 AM
Banned

If you have Tony Stark then you should have had Iron Man in the movie.
So Iron Man stayed at home and watched New York get demolished?
I thought this was the best action Marvel movie.
I don't understand why Ed Norton was not happy with the final editing.
Good movie!
Old 06-20-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Remember that all the shit in the finale goes down in a couple of hours...even in Iron Man, it took him some time to get from place to place...so who's to say he wasn't on his way but it was all over by the time he got there - which we wouldn't have needed to see...
Old 06-20-08, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Remember that all the shit in the finale goes down in a couple of hours...even in Iron Man, it took him some time to get from place to place...so who's to say he wasn't on his way but it was all over by the time he got there - which we wouldn't have needed to see...
I can buy that.
Old 06-23-08, 12:04 AM
Banned

I just saw it, I thought there was supposed to be a cameo by captain america?
Old 06-23-08, 02:25 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by mdc3000
And apparently the events in Hulk happened years before the events in Iron Man since the Army dudes in the Hulk were wearing BDUs and the Airforce guys in Iron Man were wearing the new Airforce Digi Tigerstripes uniform.

Gen. Ross must have been drinking for a long time before Stark found him
Old 06-23-08, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Anyone else see Omar Little's cameo?
Anyone else feel like he's way too good an actor to be used as an extra?

I don't think we saw a confirmed kill with him so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he reappears as a character in a coming sequel.
Old 06-23-08, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
...So what was the final line of dialogue that the Hulk said to Betty? I missed it...
Pretty sure he said:

"Betsy"
Old 06-23-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this on the weekend and loved it. Edward Norton fit the bill perfectly as Banner, and I loved the way they recapped the Hulk's origins in the opening credits sequence.

Spoiler:
Plus, it was nice to see Stark Industries, Nick Fury, and S.H.I.E.L.D. pop up (as text) in that opening montage. The opening credits also served to make it clear that this was not a sequel to the previous Hulk film.

So many nice little nods to the original television show and the comics as well, from the television theme song that popped up after the first Hulk incident in the bottling factory to the Bill Bixby television show (I think it was "The Courtship of Eddie's Father") that appeared on the television Banner was flipping through at the beginning to Lou Ferigno's cameo as a security guard (again) and the pair of purple pants that Betty bought for Bruce.

I also love how, both in Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, the villain's motivations are built up through the course of the movie and, by the climax, feel like a natural progression (as opposed to starting out as the villain with certain motivations and staying that course throughout the film).

And I have to mention the locations where the film was shot (a good chunk of it in Toronto). All the Culver University scenes were shot at my alma mater, the University of Toronto, the final showdown on the streets of New York were shot just up the street from my workplace, and I actually watched them film the scene of Bruce and Betty getting out of the NYC cab and her yelling at the cabbie before it drives off (shot outside the doors of my office building). Those were all nice to see.
Old 06-24-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like how while the RT score between the Hulk 2008, and Hulk 2003 are pretty close.

The yahoo user ratings is not close at all. B+ for Hulk 2008, C for Hulk 2003.
Old 06-24-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Desidarius
I just saw it, I thought there was supposed to be a cameo by captain america?

It was cut, because it was too dark, but apparently it might get released on the net (most likely at marvel.coM?)

Spoiler:
What was cut apparently was that Banner was depressed, goes up to the arctic circle to try and commit suicide, but does not die, and instead hulks out (sort of like when he was falling out the helicopter..he didn't die, he hulked up). Well while he was rampaging, he broke off a chunk of Ice..and walah, Captain was suppose to be in the ice
Old 06-24-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Solid, but decidedly unspectacular. I had such high hopes after the first 15-20 minutes as well. The Brazil stuff was really interesting, then it just sort of dissolved into a CGI wankfest and the importance placed on characters faded.
Old 06-25-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this movie a relative box office dissappointment ? It has only made arrrrrround 160M.
Old 06-26-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Relative to what? Iron Man? Then sure. Relative to Hulk and it's originally expected take? No, I'd say it's a decent sized hit.
Old 06-26-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Oooooh, I was at my Local Comic book shop today discussing this film and I now realize I totally missed the Thor scene. I mean I saw it, but I didn't get what was happening until my friend at the shop explained it.

Wow. Another for you Marvel.
Old 06-26-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wm lopez
If you have Tony Stark then you should have had Iron Man in the movie.
I thought this was the best action Marvel movie.
I don't understand why Ed Norton was not happy with the final editing.
Good movie!
Stark was bangin' ho's in LA.

Let's see bang ho's, or save the New York... the choice is clear...Bang Ho's.
Old 06-26-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Oooooh, I was at my Local Comic book shop today discussing this film and I now realize I totally missed the Thor scene. I mean I saw it, but I didn't get what was happening until my friend at the shop explained it.

Wow. Another for you Marvel.
Please explain ... as I had no idea there was a Thor reference in the film either

Edit: I found some info on this here, but it seems like kind of a stretch to me. Spoilerizing just in case, but this doesn't really require one:
Spoiler:
When I watched that scene, I thought he roared at the lightning because it sounded like cannon/gun fire to him. For a minute there, I thought the above link was going to say that when the Hulk hits his head on the cave ceiling you can see Thor's hammer embedded in the rock or something.

Last edited by Yavin; 06-26-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Yavin
Please explain ... as I had no idea there was a Thor reference in the film either

Edit: I found some info on this here, but it seems like kind of a stretch to me. Spoilerizing just in case, but this doesn't really require one:
Spoiler:
When I watched that scene, I thought he roared at the lightning because it sounded like cannon/gun fire to him. For a minute there, I thought the above link was going to say that when the Hulk hits his head on the cave ceiling you can see Thor's hammer embedded in the rock or something.
yeah that version may be a stretch and maybe this one is too... He told me that
Spoiler:
Hulk was roaring at Thor flying overhead during the thunder storm. He didn't mention any hammer in the scene.
Old 06-26-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Is this movie a relative box office dissappointment ? It has only made arrrrrround 160M.
It has only been in theaters for 14 days. Sheesh.

Not every film can earn what Iron Man did. And Iron Man didn't have to follow in the footsteps of an Ang Lee version either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.